Want to play DnD

>Want to play DnD
>Told I can't be a catgirl who fights through dance based kung-fu

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/advanced-races-11-20-rp/wyrwood-20-rp/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Surely this is bait

You can explicitly play that in 5e.
Just play a Tabaxi Monk. Don't forget to also make a background as a dancer so you can get the performance skill.

In the game of pretend, you can be anything you want.

If your DM won't let you, then you either make something he will allow, or you find a new game

>Want to play DnD
>Told I can't play a Scarecrow Ranger who left his post after the farm under his watch was razed and is now an outcast from scarecrow society for doing so

go play exalted, anima, or another one of those meme games

>dance based kung-fu
It's called Capoeira
Roll a busty brown Amazon, those are canon

>want to play a scarecrow
>after years of trying the gm finally lets me
>mages sets me of fire first day
I hate it

Drunken master actually gets that for free.

>exalted

Many STs would ban starting out catgirl in Exalted as it is humancentric setting where many societies have kill on sight policy when it comes to mutants and beastmen.

>Want to play DnD
>some idiot keeps begging to play as semi-human animal using a martial art not present in the campaign setting

You're made of fucking dry straw. What did you think would be the first strategy employed against you by your opponents, who would easily know this by looking at you?

Maybe during all those years of trying to convince your GM to let you play a scarecrow, you should have instead realized how retarded that is.

>>mages sets me of fire first day

>reeee don't play fun unique ideas

Kys

The Wizard of Oz is a lighthearted campaign where the GM decided to make into a dungeon crawl at the finale.
Playing a scarecrow isn't unique.

>reeeee don't exploit weaknesses
What do you want your enemies to do, then? Swing sword A and mace B until they die?

>one lighthearted movie from almost 80 years ago has a scarecrow character that is in no way shape or form similar to the original concept posted, other than physical appearance
You're right, it's a really played out idea

I'm not saying that, what you implied is that "you made a character that has a weakness, you should be expecting it to constantly be biting you in the ass" which is semi-shitty GMing.

Utilizing a characters weakness is good when used tastefully; lighting him on fire right out of the gate is shitty GMing. It would be like playing a Droid character in a Star Wars game and having everyone constantly bringing ion weapons and restraining bolts to every fight. Similarly, if you played a wizard, and the first session in the GM throws tons of magic-nullifying shit at you. It's just bad GMing.

>>one lighthearted movie from almost 80 years ago has a scarecrow character that is in no way shape or form similar to the original concept posted, other than physical appearance
And vulnerability to fire.

>you should be expecting it to constantly be biting you in the ass
Fire is not a scarce resource. Why wouldn't you use your torch on the living pile of dry straw covered in cloth trying to kill you?

It's like begging your GM to play as a fire elemental and getting mad when your enemies throw a bucket of water at you.

>Why wouldn't you use your torch on the living pile of dry straw covered in cloth trying to kill you?
Because people don't carry a torch on fire with them all the time, everywhere.

Gas the weebs. Cartoon war now.

Ion weapons and restraining bolts are not standard equipment for Star Wars grunts. Magic-nullifying shit is not standard equipment for fantasy grunts. You're right, that IS going out of the way to make something brutal. Because the ratio of weakness-carrying weapons is fucked.
Meanwhile, your scarecrow's weakness was fire. Goddamn fire. Anyone in their right mind would have the tools or know-how to make fucking fire. And that's assuming they don't already have it handy. Literally. With a torch or lantern.

If right out of the gate, you were bombarded by a sudden attack of the Fire Nation or some kind of metal as shit lava wizards, I get you. That would be unfair. But you said "mages" so I think typical mages. Any other mage with an inkling of life experience could have a flame spell up their sleeve. That's not unfair. That's standard equipment.

>Amazon
>busty

>want to play a human
>after years of trying the gm finally lets me
>monsters disembowel me first day
You're made of fucking wet meat. What did you think would be the first strategy employed against you by your opponents, who would easily know this by looking at you?

Maybe during all those years of trying to convince your GM to let you play a human, you should have instead realized how retarded that is.

People in the wilderness who want to not be helpless at night at least have the torch and means to light it.

And vulnerability to fire, sure. But that's built into the physicality of the scarecrow; to say that alone makes it not-unique's like saying "someone has played X unusual thing once before, so therefore X unusual thing can never be unique."

Fire's not a scarce resource on the macro scale, but how many enemies wander around with weaponized fire? At night, a small fraction of a group of enemies might have a lit torch which would be worst case. Best case is they have a lantern on them, which is a one use weapon at best, and a cumbersome.

If your scarecrow character runs into a group of enemies during the day, why in the fuck would they have fire readily available to attack him with? Lighting a torch with a flint and tinder isn't really a thing any reasonable person would do in combat unless covered by allies, as it takes time and leaves you open.

You're right, they're not. Neither is constantly carrying around an open flame. Making fire is not viable mid-combat. If the enemy can prepare in advance, sure, but that plays exactly into my point; weaknesses should be exploited tastefully, eg when the enemy knows abut them and can take time to prepare.

Even in D&D (using it as an example becaus eits the msot common RPG), spellcasters aren't as common as regular mooks, and fire spells are aonly a fraction of total spells (especially as most things in D&D dont have specific resistance ro weakness to most damage types).

In essence, what you're all arguing is that this player should be constantly punished for having a fun idea for a character because "muh realism."

This guy has the right idea. Playing a party of humans? You need to not get stabbed to survive, everyone carries around a stabbing implement. If you made scarecrows immune to piercing and bludgeoning damage in return for weakness to fire, go for it.

>lighting a torch in a combat environment is as easy as drawing a sword

Something tells me you've never had to start a fire outdoors. Let alone, unprepared to do so and in an active combat scenario.

Honestly, this is why I like systems that support tossing a player a bone when this stuff happens. Being vulnerable to fire would be easily a Weakness Complication in Mutants and Masterminds or an Aspect in FATE for a Fate point.

So play Pathfinder, same game really, and go with a catfolk brawler (exemplar archetype). Pick some Style feats for whatever effect you want your moves to have. Fluff the abilities as dance related, like Call to Arms causing all your allies to start dancing slightly as well to make them no longer flat-footed.

I've also never had to kill anyone with a weapon. My character is experienced in both wilderness survival and close-quarters combat. What's your point?

>muh severed tiddies meme

My point was that drawing a sword isn't even comparable to starting a fire outdoors in terms of required time and concentration. If you think they are, even to someone experience in both, you have to be retarded.

Not to mention that your average person isn't constantly on the ready to light a torch and use it as a weapon.

Your DM is shit.
>either catgirl homebrew race or
>human subrace with +Dex and +Cha
>class: monk
>monk tradition: Dance of the Aurora / Flowing Water
>gains proficiency in Performance among others
>gains additional combat abilities that can be related to a flowing dance-like motion, such as Circle Kick, Dodge, and Reflect Projectiles
Give me a day and I've turned this idea into a proper and balanced character.

Now if the issue is that a dancing cat girl doesn't fit into the theme of a campaign, that's a bit different.

>fights through dance based kung-fu
Basirian Dancer character class, Kingdoms of Kalamar Players Guide.
You're welcome.

Your mockery would defeat my argument if armor didn't exist.

Did you even try?

That sounds and even looks somewhat like my character. Have I been making a magical realm all this time without knowing?

Mages are common in D&D, so are electrical attack spells. If scarecrows are weak to fire, armoured people are weak to electricity spells.

Shock horror! Receiving various confirmed reports of a humanoid creature made of straw marauding the outlier regions.
>Right lads, alight the braziers.
>But no! Allowances, pandering and equal rights accorded for moronic character creation decisions because 'muh fun' right?

Oh my goodness I'm so sorry.

You're too retarded to remember that leather armor exists as well. I should have realized.

"Look, dude, i told you, the Monk is horribly underpowered. We're rolling with a wizard / druid and a Warblade right now. I can offer you Cleric, could you play cleric?

>want to play any ttRPG
>not allowed to play a Puss n Boots style character as a weasel forest mugger with a tiny sword

Ironclaw.

Whether of not this would be appropriate depends on setting and tone.

Not anthro dude, a weasel sized weasel. Also, I want to be weird in whatever setting I'm in.

>>mages sets me of fire first day
Why not make sure to keep your straw wet at all times? Just wade into a river every 18 hours or so.

Treat as heavily encumbered.

That was in direct response to a post with an image of metal armour, don't be stupid on purpose. Leather armour is also liable to be stabbed through, just like human skin.

A scarecrow, being made of dead straw, would be relatively immune to being stabbed, bludgeoned, poisoned, drowned, and several other means of commonplace death. If you insisted on being a massive faggot (as you have so far implied that you would), scarecrow player could carry around water and just douse himself pre-combat. Your no-fun autism cuts both ways.

If being wet counts as being encumbered, wearing any armour beyond clothing should also count as being encumbered.

Not him but I think there's a big difference between being covered in water as a human, and being completely saturated as a bag of straw.

I wouldn't call it an automatic encumbrance, but you'd still be carrying almost your entire body volume in water which is still really heavy and might put you over your encumbrance weight limit any way

>Want to play DnD
No, you don't.

I am him and yes this

You'd only need to get the outside of you wet though. Or just wear wet clothing over top of your straw-y bod. Or even just wear regular, flame retardant material clothing on top.

D&D works with a good flexible GM and good flexible players.

Judging from this thread though, you're not likely to find many browsing Veeky Forums.

>flame retardant material
Such as the spell protection from fire? Which is what the player should have tried to acquire an item of from the outset if he had any sense.

>want to play DnD
>talk to GM about being allowed to play a skeleton
>we have a long talk and after he hears my ideas and my backstory, he agrees and we work something out
>the rest of the party is a bit skeptical at first
>be a really good tank, not in the "be able to soak a lot of damage" but instead "make smart decisions during combat that opens up windows for the team while he himself distracts the monsters
>become loved by the party, and have wacky adventures together

it was a pretty fun campaign.

I mean, most players wouldn't expect a GM to exploit a critical weakness in session 1, and protection from fire isn't really that accessible at level 1 anyways. Wet clothing is literally free.

I've always wanted to play a skeleton paladin or cleric of the sun or something similar.
>I loved the God of life so much that it brought me back from death! Too bad I died of being macerated.

That's quite a different animal than
>wade through a river every 18 hours
Also just saying, if a player of mine wanted to drop a bucket of water on himself every hour to give himself fire resistance I wouldn't be very happy

"Flexible" meaning ignoring and playing around the rules?

I'm so pissed that dragonborn, tiefling, and gnomes are core races but not undead.
Why?
WHY!?!?

>Don't want to play DnD
>Told I'll never find a game for anything else

I wasn't the guy who suggested that.

And in response to your second point: I wouldn't be happy as a player to have a constantly exploited and debilitating weakness to fire. So it kind of goes both ways: either be tasteful about using the fire weakness, or face an escalating arms race of fire resistance shenanigans.

It says right at the start of the core rulebooks that that's how the game should be played. And pretty much every game ever can benefit from houserules and on the fly changes. Don't be a twat: we get It, it's cool to shit on D&D, now go away.

>RRRRRREEEEEEEE WHY ARE YOU OVERCOMING YOUR WEAKNESSES! I WANT TO KILL YOU!

Counter it by occasionally having enemies that use ice-magic then.
Or the water makes it easier for bad stuff to grow on them.

It's clever so you shouldn't outright say no to it or make it entirely impractical.
Have it so sometimes it's useful, and sometimes it harms them, and maybe sometimes getting enough water is probably more trouble than it's worth.

The people telling you that you'll never find a group are probably the biggest reason why there's so many limited options.

You might have to bite the bullet and GM a new system you wanna try out yourself, but you'll get there as long as you can make good friends.

I'm a forever GM. Ain't nothing new, user.

But if you think it's easy to find players for something other than DnD, you're still wrong.

>most players wouldn't expect a GM to exploit a critical weakness
'Obvious critical weakness' if not I can only conclude all the DM's NPCs are half wits.

>wants to be something literal normal animals can eat in a fantasy world
>B-but im straw so im better against most forms of attack!
>Wrong youre literal straw a weak material fed to basic animals
>B-but ill wear armor!
>how can straw wear armor when it has no bodily strength.
>when you get mad cus the DM uses your stupid weakness against you
>mfw being a strawman isnt creative its just handicapped
Id just have you get ate by a cow

Yes

Tabaxi are gross furfags though.

>Pathfinder

kys

Cancer DM.

>Want to play Golden Sky Stories
>Told I can't be a human male fighter doing manly things and killing shit with his badass sword

>being this anti-fun
I'm glad I don't have to play with you.

That was in response to the guy getting upset about his player getting wet to avoid being set on fire. If you're going to be an add you have to realize that your realism trip cuts both ways.

>you have to realize that your realism trip cuts both ways.
Yep burning a straw man is obvious any way you slice it.

Yes, which is why the player could then constantly just remain damp and solve the problem, which was my point; the earlier post said that a player doing that would bother him as a GM, which is unreasonable.

I would personally just rule that whatever supernatural force animated the scarecrow in the first place also protects him from being lit on fire, but thats just me.

Call yourself a "lesser Tabaxi" who is mostly human but still distinctly Tabaxi

>remain damp and solve the problem
As I mentioned earlier, encumbrance
>I would personally just rule that whatever supernatural force animated the scarecrow in the first place also protects him from being lit on fire, but thats just me.
As I D.M D&D I would give him the stats for a straw golem ECL excepting. I have no issue with character on principle aside from it being a snowflake however it is supported by standard tropes such as Wizard of Oz as already mentioned, it also could horned in to Ravenloft perhaps, Dr Syn and so forth.

because they are #1, a state of being, not a race. #2, innately evil.... very, very evil, and outright evil rather than "leaning towards evil" is something that you see them swaying away from #3 canonically, almost always mindless, this is a small point, but an existing one. #4, and this is a continuation of point 1, but there is not standard "this is how an undead looks" it could be everything from a zombie to a skeleton to a ghost, and the same stat template would not really fit all that easily, meaning you would need to make around 3-5 different templates that could fit ontop of standard races (to make an undead half-orc skeleton, for example) and it would either be very unsatisfactory (like how the revenants exists, but is almost never used because it's pretty boring, limiting and at most offers some very basic cosmetic changes pretty much) or end up doing a lot of work for a very, very niche group of people.

anyway, we simply used half-elf racials and removed one thing and added another (don't remember what) and then used a third party background, but kept it simple, and made sure we didn't make some OP bullshit (i personally asked the DM to make sure that if anything, it was to be gimped rather than OP)

It's true, D&D sucks balls, as does anyone that likes it.

Epic

The other problem with having Undead and Constructs as races (Also to a lesser extent with actual outsiders as opposed to native outsiders and with Abberation and Fey) is that you're almost too different from the other players to justify being a race with no LA or other considerations.

Consider a Wyrwood
d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/advanced-races-11-20-rp/wyrwood-20-rp/
>+2 int +2 dex -2 cha
>Construct so no Con score
>Small by default so no bonus hp
>Darkvision and low light vision
The catch being that since you're a construct, you're no longer affected by any sort of mind-affecting magic at all. Your'e also largely immune to a whole class of saves. Granted, you no longer have a con score and thus can't benefit from bonus hp as easily, and healing is a pain unless your caster packs mending and make whole, but it means that certain tactics are wholly useless against you. It's made even worse with the undead type and the other explicit disadvantages that comes with, but that also gives you immunity to energy drain and similar effects, and most villains are probably not going to spend the time hitting you with positive energy to figure out it hurts you, ignoring the problem that intelligent undead are almost always template creatures that'll get stupid powers.

You'll need to talk to your GM about what's acceptable. Necropolitans and Wights are a decent place to start. Part of the reason that half-breed templates like Tiefling aren't overpowering as much as constructs or undead is that outsider-lite powers are often not as strong as a free feat and certainly aren't as good as straight immunities to common effects.

Fuck that. Tibbit Monk/Bard.

So you're saying D&D is fine, as long as you're not playing D&D. Makes sense, I guess.

>Want to play DnD
>tell DM I want to play an idoru College of Glamor that inspires the troops in our kingdom war campaign with songs of love
>get shut down immediately

>Subverting the tropes makes me original!

There isn't a GM in any game, anywhere who doesn't do that, you twat. the ones who say they do? They're lying. Despite what people say there is no such thing as a perfect out of the box game.

OD&D

just roll stats for a fighter; get a nice DEX

fluff your fight and background as you want

done

You know what electricians working with high-voltage use to protect themselves? Full-body mail suits. Do you know why? Because metal conducts eletricity much better than human body, and thus protects you.

Leather armor is shit.

Chainmail would work like a faraday cage.

So metal armour would make you impervious to electrical attack until it heated up.

I'd prefer a game that lets me use the rules 90% of the time and makes me ignore them 10% over one that lets me use the rules 10% of the time and makes me ignore them 90% of the time.
Sure, there is no perfect out-of-the-box game, but there are much better out-of-the-box games.

>Want to play DnD
... but why?

But what if the scarecrow is wearing some magic item that give it fire resistance?

I don't get the problem.

Bards ARE medieval fantasy idol singers. And treating a bard like an idol singer could done be in both serious and comedic ways.

I'd allow it under that condition that you play around with your character weight less than a pound and being smol in a descriptive way. Like haveing your swashbuckling weasel ride around in the bag of another member of the party. Hide in small crevices for stealth checks. That sorta thing.

No one said she was an archer

Not him, but I've played a sapient cat who had befriended the gnome rogue/ranger. The introduction scene ended with my character asking if he could sit on the gnome's backpack.
parties where characters have hugely different sizes can be tons of fun.

Just imagine that weasel standing on the paladin's head while brandishing its tiny sword shouting "Onwards, noble steed!"

Catfolk Battle Dancer

Those things exist 1st party in 3.5 .
Your DM is just being a shit. Find a new one.
No need for "friends" that won't let you do even the simplest of concepts because of "no magical realm" "no weebs allowed"

Like, what fun is make believe if all you are going to do is railroad someone into some lotr expy.

I support you, user.
Dancing Cat-girl sounds like a great idea.

Wet straw is, ironically, more likely to catch afire.

Instead of whining how about you move your lazy ass and gm a campaign in wich beastfolf and martial arts are setting canon? Your gm has every right of choosing wich kind of story or setting to direct since he is the one in charge of all the work