/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Welcome to the D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything — Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything — New Player Options
mega.nz/#!U7RkBJrI!76abnPsumdl4qV_KnYObbDP5g7cAV4yvpJCVJlHjrUk

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
Reminder that leaks have arrived.
mega.nz/#!U7RkBJrI!76abnPsumdl4qV_KnYObbDP5g7cAV4yvpJCVJlHjrUk

And there he stood with sword in hand,
the last of Darry's ten.

And red the grass beneath his feet,
And red his banners bright,
And red the glow of the setting sun
that bathed him in its light,

"Come on, come on," the great lord called,
"My sword is hungry still!"

Other urls found in this thread:

enworld.org/forum/content.php?4655-The-State-of-D-D-Products-Psionics-Settings-More#.WgS_5kROmaw
roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Hallow#content
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>playing a wizard
>allowing wizards in your games
>being friends/socializing with the kind of person who plays wizards

Take a good, long look at your life and make some changes.

What do y'all think of Xanathars little quips in the margins?

I'm playing a Wizard right now

So is hexblade actually good or is it a meme? Seems like with limited spell slots for smites you get one off each encounter, with your other slot going to hex/utility spell. Doesn't seem all that great to me on its own.

As a multiclass it's cheesy as fuck, surprise surprise.

Our least experienced player went with an evoker, the RP is limited but he hasn't been too bad really. Pulled out some good moves in the clutch.

>tfw playing a true 60s/70s/80s sword-and-sandal game where the only hints of magic are the sorcerous villain and some slut NPC who can cast cantrips and is also a villain

The warlock smiting can only use warlock slots, at least.

Cringeworthy.

Gloomstalker gets 2 attacks starting third level? dam

>Not going full magical girl like the class was designed for by going Celestial

Currently playing a wizard in an ongoing game, ask me anything

>One extra attack at the first turn
Surely this conclave is broken

How hard is it resisting the urge to treat the other players as your sidekicks?

Very nice maymay friend, ty

Are the robes nice?

I don't even have to resist the urge because they're all lowbrow martial players; they can't even comprehend that I'm speaking down to them.

I don't think that's a wizard thing. The goliath fighter in my game has seriously said before that he was the protagonist.

I reread it closely, yea its just on their first turn.

Combat doesn't really last more than say.. 5 turns though does it? Also,

>invisibility

>tfw running a game with a barbarian, arcane archer a paladin and a druid
>The druid cast spells like, two times in the last three sessions

Oh. Oh! I get it now. /5eg/ is like /r9k/ only the wizards replace the Chads for all the memes, and WotC are the sluts that only fuck Chads.

So, Veeky Forums, if different setting represent different genres of DnD now, according to the Q&A that Wizards held at Game Hole Con ( enworld.org/forum/content.php?4655-The-State-of-D-D-Products-Psionics-Settings-More#.WgS_5kROmaw ), what genre would Planescape be? "Dreamlike/weird DnD"?

I'm gonna ask my DM to add Steel Wind Strike to the Warlock (Hexblade) and Ranger spell list.

If he refuses I'm fucking off to another group.

the one wizard player we have is great. Solid RPer, to the point where he can pull off playing a Drow and not end up being chaotic evil nor drizz't. He has my respect for that.

The party is just dysfunctional enough to work. We have SJW lizardfolk paladin who demands to be called "lizard person" because no one at the monastery wanted to put a stick up its cloaca and see what was it, a punk ass sassy drow girl who picks fights against everything that tries to back sass her, and I play a "vow of poverty" (no mechanical benefits, because what kind of vow of poverty is it where you gain cooler shit than if you are a normal person) monk who wears only a loincloth, causing all the ladies to blush and a drow woman to want to buy him off as a slave for, "reproductive purposes".

Why does the world's fate always hinge on the most dysfunctional bunch of heroes?

not hard since the Fighter is a noble whose family is much more important narratively and the conquest paladin is one of the most assertive and initiative-taking party members.

this guy isn't me

>main character
>in a collaborative role playing game

It is a ranger spell

You can't tell me what to do dad! Just because you were a fighter doesn't mean it's right for me! Stop trying to live my life!

I once jokingly said I should get special treatment for being a protagonist, but I was referring to the party not myself.

I accidentally posted this in the dead thread
>Hey guys let's give Rangers a d10 hit die, all martial proficiencies (sans heavy armour) and let them pick among all these melee fighting styles!
>But let's make all their spells concentration and/or work exclusively with ranged weapons!
Cheers guys

Isn't there an AL-legal spell-less ranger?

Guys, how do I get my DM to stop magical realming? He went too far last game and 3 players are seriously considering leaving.

>not banning druids outright from a game.

Players who want to run a druid can decide on what type of character they want to run and constantly slow down game play constantly trying to optimize their summons/wildshape,

RANGErs

magical realm back so hard that he stops

This sounds fictional, but hell I'll bite. What happened?

Define magical realming and how far is too far.

I dunno, it's not like you'd want them getting smites. They could use a better selection though.

It was worse than you think. The druid player basically blackmailed me so I'll allow him Circle of the Shephard - it took him like a week, but eventually I gave in.
So, first session starts, there's a first combat, the druid player says that he forgot to choose his spells, and next ten minutes he spends on that.

Suddenly, he looks me in the eyes and asks if it's too late to reroll to Moon Druid

Magical realm him harder.

> blackmailed you
kick that asshole from the gaming table. forever. there's some behaviors that are plain unacceptable, if DM says no fuck off and make something else

actually I have a question, how do you explain in game a downgrade to a character's abilites when something is too overpowered and requires a nerf of some kind?

Second these

Best build for Cavalier? I was thinking of 2 level dip of war wizard for the saving throw defenses.

>kick that asshole from the gaming table. forever. there's some behaviors that are plain unacceptable, if DM says no fuck off and make something else
We know each other for seven years, and he forgave me for hitting on his girlfriend. I'm not gonna kick him out just because he's a cunt.

Pro-tip, Use a greatsword, and use one of your attacks on a throwing axe/dagger for the stuff that triggers on ranged attacks.

Should I play myself a stoic, borderline-masochistic Knowledge Cleric that actually casts Warding Bond on people? Might actually take Tough at 4 simply because I'd only have like two spells that could actually effect enemies, one of which is just a cantrp.

She hot or just the readily available female?

Gods released a balance patch

On a side note, is there a benefit to using a greatsword over the maul? Or is it crit preference?

you can kick anyone you please out of your table, hell you can just make rocks fall reroll a new character.

I'd talk it over with him first. Like, how he's slowing down the pace of the game, and making the game worse for everyone else. Give him the homework to learn his druid spells, and write down which are the most useful. Teach him how to play without obstructing play for everyone else.

If the player is cool with it, don't explain it in game
If the player is happy with it, cursed magical item that requires a side quest to be completed before it can be removed, hopefully with enough levels gained that the ability is no longer OP.

he's a dick for not taking that as a compliment.

2 new players joined my game and one of them made a Rogue with 10 Str and 10 Dex, how fucked are we?

>blackmailed
>hitting on his girlfriend

Waaaaaaaaait, are you that guy?

Maul is technically better because of resistances, Bludgeoning is generally the best weapon damage type. The difference is so minor that it doesn't matter though.

They both use 2d6, really a maul is probably better because I can't think of a single situation where bludgeoning fucks you over unlike slashing. I also know bludgeoning is better versus undead in case you come across skellies. I'm sure something is vulnerable to slashing though.

Did you ask him why? Maybe he's new and don't know what he's doing

What? Why?

I think jelly and slime based creatures have generally been weak against slashing, not sure if they still are though.

only fucked for one session until the rogue dies or the party accepts him as a mascot rather than an equal.

Just curiously, what are his other stats at if you know?

My group's Wizard loves doing damage. That's it.

If a spell doesn't do damage, it isn't worth casting. He's been playing D&D for years, was a former DM and he still doesn't understand the value of CC. When we CC'd his bosses, he raged and called us cheap because it wasn't even fun but he never used legendary resistance.

New DM who's been playing for a couple of months decided to give him Hallow without the cast time as a cantrip. We were all angry at him but in private he said "he won't use it."

It's been 3 weeks now and he's never used Hallow, says it's garbage since it does no damage and he's read it over 2-3 times and still doesn't get why anyone would use it.

>I can't think of a single situation where bludgeoning fucks you over unlike slashing
Nets and Webs

They aren't weak to them they split when they take slashing damage.

Oh fuck that noise then. Just stick to hammer time.

What's it do?

It's not that I want them to get smites, I just want to be able to use my spells without having to worry about losing them instantly. Zephyr Strike and Absorb Elements are basically the only two combat spells in the entire list I can reliably get the full effect from, and they're both 1st level spells.

Stuff like flame arrows and swift quiver irks me the most. I can't cast them on daggers because it specifies the spell is cast on a pouch or quiver of ammunition, and daggers aren't ammunition.

Why isn't he playing a sorcerer?

roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Hallow#content

TL;DR everything.

I think they're "those guys"

your dm sounds like the most hilarious son of a bitch ever.

Dunno about other stats, we're on Roll20 so I can't check them. I'll ask about stats when the session ends.
At least he's being pretty creative.

>damage
Would he cast sleep?

That’s the opposite of my Fighter. I’m a grapple machine and kind of just a CC guy. Sentinel is my main way to deal damage

Is a Hill Dwarf Forge Cleric going to be one of those all around solid and fun character? Thinking of rolling one to use as backup in case my character dies in this dungeon.

Yeah but Flame Arrows is pretty fuckin' meh in the first place and swift quiver is 5th level right?

This isn't 3.5 Butkiss. Go back to your home. You belong there.

sleep is shit like after 4th level.

Not as if fighters have any reason to be melee either

Holy shit!

He's a fucking idiot who believes Wizards should be the only spell casters in the game.

Simple: it doesn't do damage, so no.

Do you allow your players to make characters based off of selections from the UA? There are some great subclasses in there that haven't made it into any of the published books so far, but I can be hesitant to let in things that aren't official.

Thoughts?

>inb4 just do it faggot
>inb4 its your game run it how you want
Just looking for feedback and different points of view.

Are you pitching at 8 int wizard character concept to us?

Are there scans for the feats in xge yet?

Correct on both points. Flame arrows is pretty garbage (it's basically just hunter's mark) but I can't use it even if I wanted to.

Yeah but at least Fighter's features don't require concentration and recharge on a short rest rather than a long rest.

Go for it

Very disappointed by the pointless storm herald nerfs
Going to talk to Gms in the future and see if they would let me use the UA version

>He's a fucking idiot who believes Wizards should be the only spell casters in the game
He would be right at home on the WotC 5th Edition Dev team!

I only allow stuff that's in the books, but that's the general rule. Secretly, if my players ask me about an Unearthed Arcana subclass, I almost always say yes if it's a one shot. Campaigns I'm only slightly more strict.

>XGE updated shit list for asshole players
>Ranged Hexblade
>All Wizards

What is it is a UA class that has been shafted hard in published material?

You only really need to worry about shit like Lore Mastery. Aside from the blatantly overpowered subclasses, I allow UA at my table on a case-by-case basis. I don't see why I'd tell someone they can't play a sea Sorcerer just because it isn't getting printed.

Question: does Xanathar's Guide give Hexblade Warlocks a new equipment package, or are you going to be forced to run around with leather armor and simple weapons for the first adventure?

Fuck UA. There's two groups of people: people who use UA when it's overpowered as shit or people who use UA when they know you can't double-check their bullshit.

Wait, isn't it pretty much the same values all the time?

>only fighter, rogue, and barbarian don't have spellcasting from their class
>they all can get some spell casting from a subclass
>several of the races have some innate spellcasting
W-what?

Ulfrun the Dense.
Level 8 Conjuration Wizard Sage.
HP 66hp
AC 18AC
Speed 25ft
STR 19
DEX 10
CON 18
INT 8
WIS 14
CHA 8
Saves: Int, Wis.
Gear: Battleaxe, Fullplate.
Skills: History, Arcana, Insight, Religion, Brewers Tools.
Abilities & Traits: Darkvision, Dwarven Resileince, Stonecunning, Dwarven Combat & Armour training, Arcane Recovery, ASI(+1STR, +1CON, Heavy Armour Training), Conjuration Savant, Minor Conjuration, Benign Transposition.
Spell slots: 4-1st level, 3-2nd level, 3-3rd level, 2-4th level.
Cantrips: Booming Blade, Prestidigitation, Mage hand, Mending.
Spells: Absorb elements, Find Familiar, Fog cloud, Identify, Sleep, Shield, Magic Missile, Unseen Servant, Cloud of Daggers, Knock, Misty Step, Magic Weapon, Counterspell, Haste, Leomunds Tiny Hut, Wall of Sand, Conjure Minor elementals, Fire Shield, Arcane Eye, Dimension Door.

Ulfrun is a wizard, a very lazy and poor one at that. He paid little attention in his studies, performed poorly on examinations and only barely managed to achieve the minimum passable grades to be released from the academy as a fully fledge wizard. Many who know him refer to him as "Ulfrun the Dense", a nickname he misunderstands the insult as praise for his stocky build and hardy figure. He perferred Conjuration magic, it was convenient he claimed, using it to shortcut many efforts in life by simply summoning an unseen servant to do it for him if he couldn't summon it himself, some have even claimed to see him teleport up a flight of stairs rather than walk them. He never understood why spellcasters shun armour, he never found it to interfere with his magic at all, simply yell the magic words and club the bastard upside the head, simple.

Take starting gold and buy equipment jackhole.

Barbarian, Monk or Cleric in a game where the rest of the party are melee?

Not allowed to do that in Adventurer's League. You have to use the equipment packages in the book as your starting gear.

No, I don't mean that that guy.

I mean this that guy.

>Hoard of the Dragon Queen
We had a Sorcerer like that, but he also preferred lightning/thunder spells. So he started the game with Sleep and Thunderwave.
The thing is, he was a pussy, because he was afraid enemies would hear the noise, so he'd never cast Thunderwave.
Level 1 to 3 he cast Thunderwave once, so we fought hordes of cultists and kobolds and he never helped besides Fire Bolt.
When we reached 3rd level, I told him about the combos he could do with Metamagics and Invisibility/Hold Person/Enlarge. He picked Scorching Ray instead.

Thansk god he left that game on the next session.