Competitive modern general

You don't get to bring creatures edition

Playing?
Hating?
Meta thought?

What's been your favorite card/s that have been introduced into modern?

>RESOURCES:
>Comprehensive Rules
>media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/resources/rules/MagicCompRules_21031101.pdf

>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

channelfireball.com/videos/channel-calebd-modern-marvel/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rakdos-burn-new-from-hou/
youtu.be/A0iuv2STWTg?t=7m45s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>kamigawa cards are either too weak to be in a deck or too powerful and banned
life is unfair

Play Modern Owling Mine like a man

>Not taking the Competitive austism off from the general

ffs

This is the competitive modern general champ, if you want a more casual mtg general then go fucking make one..

All the "competitive" in the OP does is make autists throw a trantum whenever someone asks advice on lower-tier decks (Even when competitively viable) or ask for tinkering suggestions.

Play maindeck katakis to bully affinity

Honestly, Stony Silence hoses so many things that sometimes I wonder why more decks don't mainboard at least one or two copies, especially decks like DnT.

Because they are posting things that don't pertain to the thread you absolute retard. If you guys want to talk about memebrews and casual budget decks go make another thread. This thread isn't only for t1 decks but it is however for COMPETITIVE modern discussion. Whether that be tuning a reasonably competitive deck and sideboard, card discussion, deck construction, metagame and tournament related stuff and other things of that nature. I honestly have no idea why you people are so insistent on posting in a thread that very obviously isn't for you and the topics you want to discuss, especially when you could make your own threads. Not to mention that every time there is a more casual MtG thread they always do very well and have better atmosphere due to not pissing off people by posting off topic shite like you faggots have been doing for the past couple of threads.

>Boros burn
>that it's so much better than naya
>good place, honestly feel like probe and bbe could be unbanned
>thread q
swiftspear is my favorite card in burn, but special thanks to eidolon for making burn great in the first place

Or, how about this?
It could just be a Modern thread and not have to be separated into competitive and non-competitive.
Just a thought.

Very few decks want to run MD things that are useless in some matchups. If you draw stony against burn you lose a turn and maybe even the game.

>rakdos burn will never be viable so I can use dash hopes

Or you could fuck off and post in an appropriate thread instead of whining about how the thread's topic doesn't suit you. Just go make a casual Mtg thread since that's obviously what you want, whining in these threads isn't going to get you the discussion you want.

>I will never find a home for my foil Bump in the Nights and Browbeats.

What exactly is keeping rakdos burn from being played? I've been on mono red, naya, and now Boros but have wanted to try rakdos/mardu

There was a mardu list with bump in the night and shard volley that was doing well a month or two ago.

Black doesn't add anything you don't already have in mono red. Mardu can work, because you get the white cards you'd have in Boros.

>implying I'm the other guy
Just accept that some people don't want to talk about competitive Magic all the time.
More discussion is better regardless of if it's competitive or not.

Folds to leyline since BR is the only two color combo that can't do anything to enchantments.

>Just accept that some people don't want to talk about competitive Magic all the time.
Wtf? Why can't i talk origami in this"traditional games" board? Just accept sometimes people want to talk about some other things.

>Just accept that some people don't want to talk about competitive Magic all the time.
Then why is there posting in the COMPETITIVE modern general? Seems to me plenty of people want to talk about it.

>More discussion is better regardless of if it's competitive or not
Again see . If this was just a regular ol' modern or even just magic general you'd have a point but it isn't. The casual stuff often conflicts with the competitive and you have casuals interjecting into things they have zero understanding about and shitting up the thread.

>Wtf? Why can't i talk origami in this"traditional games" board?
Bro you can, more discussion is always better, just accept that some people want to talk about origami. People don't always want to talk about traditional games.

Then they can make their own fucking thread and discuss there. Or you could even make the next modern general thread if you weren't so lazy, and you could put whatever you wanted in the title. I don't even mind if completely new players come and ask about general MTG questions because they probably don't even understand what modern is, but expecting the whole board to revolve around what you want because you're too stupid to even start a thread is retarded.

has anyone bought new kmc hyper mattes recently? are they still shit?

Were they shit? I always heard people saying good things about them. Also get the fuck out this is competotive modern general, make sleeves general if you want to talk about that shit.

>Or you could even make the next modern general thread if you weren't so lazy,
last time that happened we had guys making the threads 100 posts before bump limit lmao.

come on now

>Through the Breach
>Goryo's Vengeance
>Desperate Ritual
>Gifts Ungiven
>Azusa
>Sakura-Tribe Scout
>Sakura-Tribe Elder
>Kiki-Jiki
>Lava Spike
>Kira

All cards you should be aware of in the Modern meta. and don't forget the sideboard cards

>Pithing Needle
>Kataki
>Night of Soul's Betrayal
>Boseiju

and then there's some of the more fringe stuff that you still should be aware of that pop up every once in a while

>Ghostly Prison
>Threads of Disloyalty
>Disrupting Shoal

KMC changed ownership and lowered quality substantially

>Also get the fuck out this is competotive modern general, make sleeves general if you want to talk about that shit.
Discussing what to sleeve expensive modern staples is tangentially related to competitive discussion champ. Knowing what sleeves won't split in a tourny or are of low quality is pretty important. Stop being asshurt that nobody wants you discussing casual shit ITT champ.

>Playing
Emeria these days. Still play Titanshift every once in a while and will probably play it more often in the months ahead to get ready for an SCG Open.
>Hating
Sore losers, winner-take-all prize structures at the nearest LGS
>Meta Thought?
I'm happy with it. I've been getting my shit kicked in by Storm but I feel like the meta will adjust as it often does.
>Thread question
Not sure what you mean by "introduced into modern." If you mean favorite cards from recent years, probably Collective Brutality.

>Discussing what decks to make with budget cards is tangentially related to competitive discussion champ. Knowing what decks won't suck in a tourny or are of low quality is pretty important. Stop being asshurt that nobody wants to follow your autistic rules for the thread

What's wrong with the thread revolving around Modern in more forms than just competitive?
Not a single other format has a thread with competitive in the title and shuns people for wanting to talk about casual stuff every one in awhile.
If you don't think constant shit like this is cancer you're fucking off it

Read what you just posted bucko. Using shitty cards to make shitty decks is in no way related to competitive modern discussion. I get you wanted to make a snarky remark but it just comes across as sad considering you're the only one ITT sperging out because he can't talk about off topic shit ITT.

>Knowing what decks won't suck in a tourny or are of low quality is pretty important.
Yes, this is correct. In these threads we aren't afraid to call out shitty memebrews and tell them to come back with something good. We're happy to give advice on how to get into competitive modern we just don't want to entertain every retards pet brew or his epic combo shitbrew.

>Stop being asshurt that nobody wants to follow your autistic rules for the thread
Wanting people to stay on topic isn't being asshurt you absolute retard. The only one who's asshurt is you considering how hard you're sperging in a thread just because you don't like the topic.

Because this thread was intended for competitive modern discussion you fucking retard, I don't understand why this is such a hard concept for you to understand. Like we've been saying for the past two fucking threads, you want to talk about more casual mtg go make a thread, they ALWAYS do well. You do know how to make a thread don't you?

Why would I make a thread only for casual or competitive talk?
There isn't really a reason to separate the two, let the casual players join the conversation as well.
If they say something stupid in a competitive conversation, just tell them why they're wrong and then in the future they'll actually be able to meaningfully contribute.

>if i just say he is asshurt loud enough everyone will see i am right
Seriously, there is nothing wrong about talking non estabilished shitbrews people are trying to make competitive, no matter how mad that makes you. And no there is no reason to make another thread, this is modern general and there is no point in splitting up between competitive modern and casual modern when we can just post in the same place.

Make Burn Great Again

What art do y'all have on your playmats? Did you go custom?

Mine's this screencap from the Garupan movie. Two people of asked what it's from, both had heard about garupan before :3

>If they say something stupid in a competitive conversation, just tell them why they're wrong and then in the future they'll actually be able to meaningfully contribute.
Or they could just lurk and learn on their own, your policy encourages retardation, by disallowing noncompetitive talking we can make discussion better, no need to actually make the thread shit so timmy can read such incredible informations like why phirexian obliterator isn't modern playable or why fetchlands are good. Entry level info can easily be built without shitting up this thread, just google stuff.
What i do agree on is we need a "welcone to modern" pastebin with suggestions.

I can see your point but I'd like to believe it wouldn't devolve into that (hopefully).
Hell, I could be totally wrong though.

That's literally what happens tho, that's why people are so much for segregation. Did you think they were just autists screeching for no reason at all?

Yes, because a lot of them are.

>Seriously, there is nothing wrong about talking non estabilished shitbrews people are trying to make competitive
I never said there was anything wrong with, just that this isn't the thread for it, as clearly defined by the topic.
>And no there is no reason to make another thread, this is modern general
Might want to read the subject line

>there is no point in splitting up between competitive modern and casual modern when we can just post in the same place.
There are quite a few actually. Like said they tend to "contribute" very stupid shit to the thread and you can go digging in the archive if you want to compare competitive vs regular modern general to confirm. Secondly, they don't tend to heed advice given to them or just straight up don't. Ex: Why do I need fetchlands? they are expensive my 5c brew will do fine without them. Thirdly, the budget people who ask how to make their pile more competitive but then screech when you suggest putting in good cards.

You clearly haven't been around in these threads long enough. These people can derail threads entirely(Rev for 15, Actual Kithkin guy not the shitposter who forced the meme, Nephilim guy with 60+ card deck, Mox opal guy etc). The threads just get filled with shit and it completely drowns out any form of competitive discussion

>Rev for 15
>Kithkin
I think you might have just convinced me

>opals
Save it for the competitive vintage thread

>vintage threads at all
Don't play with my heart user ;_;

Kek

Actually I get enough ppl telling me about their shit brews in real life that it's refreshing to call them shit on these forums because in real life you don't always have that luxury

shitbrews are great
everyone posts shitbrews user
channelfireball.com/videos/channel-calebd-modern-marvel/

No dawg shitbrews are shit Yuh just beat someone round one at fnm who's playing mono black vampires after u beat him he tells u about his awesome deck and it just had bad draws How much of this can u take because for me it is not alot

Admitedly that shit can be a bit cringe and not the sort of """shitbrews""" i care for really, but at the same time there's a serenity to be garnered from such innocence.
Probably a pissoff to play vs shit like that all the time though, I have yet to meet such players (mostly play people running a variety of established lists), but hot damn is it fun playing against a field of tier 1-3 decks with dumb shit like black tron or blue staff

>Kamigawa has more good cards for Modern than the last 3 sets combined

That's because the last 3 sets are over costed commander Jank (they need someone to buy packs so edh autists it is)

I feel like standard started to go to real shit when they deemed elvish mystic "too powerful" for the format.

The new sets aren't half bad for Modern, they're pushing subtler shit these days more than ever.
Of course there's given stuff that is never ever ever tier, like any new 4mana sweepers (tfw no b/w damnation/wrath hybrid), but in amonket they had vizier and a bunch of living end shit (not to mention countless other stuff, gideon, as fortold, hollow meme

Kaladesh block gave us hearty memes and push/ballista, SoI has Lilly and Collective Brutality (and got dredge banned)

The block before that took type 2 formats for a ride.
R&D know how to keep a piece of cardboard expensive while simultaneously never ever ever printing counterspell

Claim to fame burn is best burn!

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rakdos-burn-new-from-hou/

youtu.be/A0iuv2STWTg?t=7m45s

That was my point. Kamigawa was considered a weak set to offset the Mirrodin bullshit, and it still had a lot of useful cards. I wish they did the same for Adventures in Egypt.

I'm still waiting for claim // fame to get death shadow banned like you faggots said it would.

Name 5 HOU cards that are used in competitive Modern.

Ramunap Excavator, Hour of Promise, Hollow Meme, Solemnity, Nimble Obstructionist, Fraying Sanity
The white desert is decent in monoW taxes especially if they need angus mana for displacer. Lotta neat meme cards too for extremely fringe interactions and some random okay cards (supreme will, abrade, doomfall, strategic planning etc are neat)

I've never seen any of these used in top decks.
None of these cards impacted Modern apart from memebrews.

Excavator in those G/W ghost quarter Azusa CoCo is probably the least memey, but not everything has to be Eldrazi Tron, Storm or Jund tech (OGW, KLD, and SOI did a good job on those)

I've seen Hour of Promise in R/G Valakut, Supreme Will in RUG Scapeshift, Nimble Obstructionist in Blue Moon
Solemnity in White Enchantress memes, Fraying Sanity in mill memes, and Hollow Meme decks count too, don't be a tier1 or bust turbofaggot please and thank you

>I've never seen any of these used in top decks.
I'm pretty sure Hour of Promise is a staple in non-Breach RG Valakut lists (which is most of them).

That's why I asked for cards used in competitive Modern. I have a Firebrand Archer Strom deck, but I wouldn't say it's a card that has any effect on the meta.

Not every card should shake the meta, there's nothing wrong with new tech for "uncompetitive decks"

After a while playing against Affinity gets boring, and something as whack as Firebrand Archer Storm(?) would be refreshing to play against (I think some people are memeing with a Hope of Ghriapur in the sideboard, so that's exciting)

If tier1 modern gets your rocks off (I can't imagine how unless you play either shadow or love storm solitaire), you should honestly look into legacy instead of Memedern because that format has a lot of dope shit going for it in that department.

Teir 1 or gtfo. Reeeeee

I'm not asking for every card being useful since that will never happen. My point is that AKH en HOU are sets that have no lasting impact on Modern and there are hardly any decks that profit from them. You could remove them from the game and very few people would even notice. I'm not even a competitive player, and I still think the block is incredibly underwhelming.

Aye at that we can agree, HOU in particular too (AKH with Vizier/Druid was sweet, but that's a pretty outlier uncommon being busted)

Buuu but muh living end

Is Living End even fun to play? It seems too much like YGO Solitaire to me.

They've got fairly limited impact on standard as well compared to kaladesh. It's just a really shitty block, even for current standard power levels.

Isn't the current Standard meta "Scarab God and some other cards" right now?

It's Energy decks and Red Deck Wins. The scarab god was really over hyped, it's a 1 or 2 of at best and most decks aren't running any. Even turn 5 you really don't want one in your hand, you want to be dropping a glorybringer and getting a big immediate board impact.

Isn't a good portion of mono red from AKH block?

Any fun budget zombie decks that use Endless Ranks Of The Dead?

Fellow burnbros, what if rakdos/mardu played a more unique form of burn with blightning and Kommand? Some hand disruption could be nice. Maybe change the standard creature list to be swiftspear, gg, and spark elemental.

Energy is just shit. I'll be glad to see it go

>trying to build 8 Rat, though I think it's technically 9 Rat with that one creature
>stumble upon this
The worst feeling ever when a card would slot perfectly in a deck, it's not too overpowered, and it's not fucking modern legal.

Discard isn't fun for new players user

I've got 5. T-Rex in F-14, Justice League silhouettes, Terese Nielsen signed Guru Island, OPM "OK," and a Gunnerkrigg Court wallpaper.

Is burn a good deck to build for shits and giggles?

No gtfo

How do u type this out and as you are doing so don't think to yourself "wow this sounds like shit"???

Burn is a good deck for everything.

That's pretty spicy to play with Young Pyromancer. #freeGitProbe.

>competitive modern general

>mfw reading posts like these as affinity player

STOP DESTROYING MY LINES THEY'RE ALL I HAVE

>T1 Vial
>T2 Stony Silence
Nice going fuckface.

Boros or Naya? I'm inclined for boros, but A-command is pretty sweet.

Boros is cheaper, Naya gives you A Command and Destructive Revelry.

What's spicy is a haunting an Unearthed Rotting Rats, then getting some Pack Rat beats in the meantime.

Boros, but run 1 stomping ground mb and DR in the sb

Actually, Kamigawa might be more present than Original Mirrodin, the set that cucked it.

dude there are people who think burn is the hardest deck in modern, might as well take the competitive out or else the genll just die if a regular "modern general" gets any traction

General is doing just fine and we shouldn't let in all of the retards just because we have a couple of retards man, that doesn't make any sense. The past few generals have been pretty good in terms of discussions too. I'll also repeat myself for the millionth time, if you want a non competitive/casual modern/mtg general then go make one.

what is the hardest deck in modern?

Clearly Bogles

UW Control. It takes a certain level of intelligence to counter everything and rev for 15.

Whatever deck I'm playing at the time

Probably Lantern

UW control or lantern
you need to know every deck and possible tech card in order to keep from just flopping