Flawed Powers

ITT: we make powers with drawbacks heavily caused by the powers itself

I'll start
>Be able to go back in time up to a day, but you age 365.25x faster during this period
>Be able to stop time up to 1 minute, but you cannot move
>Superhuman strength but become easily overwhelmed by the strength of others
>Being able to summon things by giving up an equal amount of mass from your own blood and flesh
>Be able to accurately predict events 30 minutes before it happens but become blind
>pic related

>You can set people on fire five seconds into the past.
>Because you set them on fire in the past the circumstances where you use the power never occur.
>>Every time you use it is technically the first time.
>ergo, you have no idea why people are just spontaneously going up in flames around you.
>You live your entire life with random people spontaneously combusting at any moment unaware of what's happening to cause this strange phenomena.

>the power to read minds, but you can only read them out loud.
>The power to fly, but only at a less than walking pace and with great effort.
>The power to speak any language, but your unable to understand any language.

>the power of X-ray vision, but you can only see halfway through something.
>The power to run really fast, but you have no clue where you'll end up.
>The power to cry on command, but you can't control your command so it happens randomly.

The power to turn invisible any covered body part. "Hey sexy, I'm invisible under all these cloths."

>>Being able to summon things by giving up an equal amount of mass from your own blood and flesh
If you can choose what you lose, it's OP as fuck. Just trade away half a litre of blood every week or so for gold. Or summon antimatter to appear on the bad guy's face by trading away a skin flake or two.

A favorite from an old thread:

>Rogue is able to turn into a couple dozen cats to sneak around and spy on the party's foes.

>Maintaining control of herself turns out to be just has hard as wrangling that many real cats.

>You go through several pets before deciding to just give up

>hindsight.

I see what you did there but:

>your eyes see what is behind you, rather than what is in front of them.
>they do not work in any other way.

Just walk around staring out the back of your head forever.

>You can will your saliva into any kind of poison you desire
>you are not immune to any poisons.

You can see spirits

But now they can see you

Stopping time is such a bullshit power that even a single minute of free thinking time is still a really good power.

>Power that's controlled through verbal commands except you have Tourette's

>You can move at three times the normal speed of a human
>Your reflexes are half as good as a normal human's

See Accel World, set in a future where phones are linked to your brain, where a secret app is distributed that lets you do this and also enter a VR world where you can communicate with other users. It's so useful that a whole underground society forms around it, inhabited by people who've spent as long inside the timestop as they have outside it.

Also, though, there's government security cameras everywhere and the app makers have compromised their security. So when time is frozen you switch to a VR perspective built from the camera data and can walk around to spy on anyone within view of a camera.

A lot of the app's users are teenagers, who find it amazing just for the ability to cheat on tests.

Are you joking?

Hindsight is where you see the solution to a problem, after it happen.

"Oh man! If we did X this bad thing wouldn't have happened."

Or eat as much as you want and use the power to stay slim!

>You can stop time but you still age as normal. You do not know about this drawback.
>You have X-Ray vision but can't turn it off
>You can see into the future but you can never tell if it's an event that happened already or not
>You can run super fast but you have to eat three times as much
>You cant die. You also cant regenerate.
>You become the smartest man in the world. You isolate yourself not wanting to deal with other people.
>You know where your target always is but not when.
>You can revive people back from the dead but they always want to kill themselves after.
>You can heal people but you are always surrounded by idiots
>You have telekinesis but can only move the objects weight divided by your IQ
>You can control and speak to animals but you become a furry.

>The power to make whatever you're thinking come true
>But you can't turn it off
>Ever
>Try not to think about banging your mom

>Will find out eventually
>Give EVERYONE cancer!!!
>So like my friend's schizo uncle
>Better than what the Flash has to do
>This sucks. Does my consciousness just live on like a ghost?
>So Veeky Forums, or Rick and Morty fans
>So just do some info gathering
>Hello there, Mr. CIA
>Can still charge ludicrious amounts for services
>Just take a rigged IQ test
>So like Pathfinder players

Superhuman strength but no superhuman endurance. So you can lift a car, but your muscles are torn to shreds in the process.

>You can see into the future but you can never tell if it's an event that happened already or not
If it has happened it's not seeing into the future.

>>So Veeky Forums, or Rick and Morty fans
>you have the power to think you're the smartest man in the world, but really you aren't

>everything you touch loses/gains energy at a until it stabilizes at room temperature in a few seconds
>every time you eat soup or drink coffee, it's warm but not hot

I was going for not knowing if its just a memory in your head from the past or if you are seeing the future. If you read Watchmen you know what I was trying to go for.

>You can shatter boulders with one finger, are practically immune to blunt damage, and can fire a destructive beam made of depression at your opponents
>But you have a sense of direction so poor that walking down the street can leave you in a desert, or in another city

>you can heal people but are always surrounded by idiots

user, playing a healer in an MMO isn't a super power

I said I saw what you did there.

Just use it to overclock your PC into nirvana

So you're basically this guy?

>stop time up to 1 minute
You'd never get to even the first second.

The classic:

>you can render your body invisible, but are blinded due to light passing through your eyes, not bouncing off them.

Stopping time for up to a minute is broken. You'd never lose at stuff like starcraft. Even if you can't move, you can stop any situation to think it through.

Wizard Eyes
>Can see everything
>Has to see everything

>You can teleport anywhere in the world but only when you're asleep.

>A minute of think time is broken
If a fist is coming at your face at a speed faster than you can react, then no amount of think time will let you avoid it (even assuming you manage to stop time in time). It's great for theory craft, but in an actual action situation, its usage is heavily limited. No amount of thinking on how to dodge will make your reactions faster.

>Can eat all of the sugar you want.
>Toes are lost to diabetes.

But after the toes are gone nothing can stop you right?

>super strength, except you're still as durable as a normal human, meaning you break your fucking bones when punching at full-strength, also you can fuck shit up by mistake
>mind reading, except you can't turn it off
>you can turn your skin into titanium, but this makes you unable to move, since you have a fucking hard metal instead of elastic skin
>can go back in time, except ALL of the related paradoxes are real and will fuck the whole world if they trigger
>can turn into any animal, but you have the mind of that animal too
>can turn into a giant, but the gravity fucks you up

>When a power gamer hears about the diabetes flaw.

Yes, but the time stop is still a leg up on other humans. Sure it can't be used for everything, but theres no drawback to it either

>Can make defensive barriers.
>Barriers are made of hard candy.

>>super strength, except you're still as durable as a normal human, meaning you break your fucking bones when punching at full-strength, also you can fuck shit up by mistake
Wasn't that in that Alphas TV show?
I remember the black guy worrying over the state of his bones and heart when he'd use his super strength for too long, and Jesus did he sweat like a pig every time... Was a nice little thing.

I'm not seeing a downside here. Imagine any situation where having good reflexes would be an asset. Now imagine not having to worry about that since you have a whole minute to think through your situation.

it is, definitely, but it's not exactly "broken".

>You can sense lies, including lies of omission. You always know the actual, complete truth of everything anyone says in your presence
>You can't turn it off, ever.

>Time Stop but can't move.
Means you can run almost perpetually though, as you can take a rest minute without effecting your time. Imagine resting a minute out of every 10.

can i summon things with semen?

I thought about a fun power for Top Tier Super Hero

[HOPES AND DREAMS]

You gain any super power that people currently observing you believe or think you to have.
For example, if people around think that you have super powers of flight, super strength, invulnerability and super lasers, you will have those powers.

The problem of this power is that your body can't keep up with these powers. Other parahumans's biology is developed alongside their powers and thus they can support it.
You powers are however "made up" ones. When a child looks at you and thinks that you can shoot fire from your mouth, it doesn't think through the details, like making your mouth fireproof. The possibilities of this power are infinite but so are the problems that it can cause.

>you basically get free omniscience
Not being able to turn it off is a very minor drawback in comparison.

>"It's not you, it's me"
>"Oh god it's totally you, if you were any more creepy you'd be in fucking jail I'm so glad Chad will take me back now."

>"Have a nice day!"
>"Die in a fire shithead"

>"Why thank you, it's a thoughtful gift!"
>"You cunt."

People mask so much nastiness behind lies and pleasantries, user.

>You can transfer your consciousness back in time into your previous self, but you also lose all memories you gained after that point

>Ability to shapeshift
>must know the exact details of what you're transforming into or you'll become hideously disfigured
>this includes turning back into a human

causality would make you infinitely loop the first time you tried this

>Be able to go back in time up to a day, but you age 365.25x faster during this period
So sacrificing a year of your life to prevent some tragedy? Decent trade off

I can see that as a MHA quirk easy, either that or a short lived episode of brave and the bold. Better hope the villain doesn't know how it works, or else you'll be 'the exploding wonder' real fast.

Yes.
You still can get the literal objective truth about everything in the universe.
That itself is such a valuable asset that hating people feels like not enough of a drawback for me. Hell, I already hate people and don't hold that power.

Exactly, but it you time it right you can spend an eternity experiencing something nice and you will never get bored of it.

Maybe I’m missing something, but how is always seeing through spoken lies at all equivalent to omniscience?

>"including lies of omission"
>"You always know the actual, complete truth of everything anyone says in your presence"
All you need to do is keep asking questions about different subjects and then if the answer isn't truthful and precise, you'll instantly know what's missing.
With enough people talking to you about different things it wouldn't take long to know basically the truth about everything in existance.
Hell, you could simply ask someone about how everything in the universe works and upon them answering you obviously with incomplete information, the rest would come to your mind.
You could ask about the exact position and speed of all atoms in the universe for the same result.
All you need is a few wrong/incomplete answers to get all the information that has ever existed.

You can’t lie by omission about something you don’t know user. The actual complete truth would be “I don’t know”.

Okat, then they purposely give you the wrong answer. The result is the same.

You can see the past at will, but it only works on objects really far away.

pretty sure the result would be you learning the truth, which is that they don't know

Yes it is. And that result is “I don’t know”. That is their true response. Lying doesn’t cover things you don’t know.

>he thinks the Universe is deterministic

I'll quote again
>"You always know the actual, complete truth of everything anyone says in your presence"
If someone says "rain comes from gods", I'll know the exact complete truth about where rain comes from, not about what that person knows about it, as that's not what he's talking about, he's talking about where rain comes from.
If the user that posted it wanted to say something different I don't know, but as it is written this is the result.

>Wasn't that in that Alphas TV show?
He had some sort of super adrenaline thing going on, where he could mentally activate it.
Played hell on his heart and blood pressure, tho.
But if he didn't use it he got all stressed and shit.

>Can make copies of yourself
>Will turn into one of these three without fail or control over which one you get:
>Will always try to kill and replace you
>Will suddenly fall in love with and try to fuck you
>Will ponder it’s subservient existence and kill itself within minutes

>You are completely and utterly invulnerable to any form of damage
>But only on your right arm up to your elbow

>You can sense lies, including lies of omission. You always know the actual, complete truth of everything anyone says in your presence"
>of everything anyone says in your presence
You don’t get to know the truths of the universe, you get to know the truths of what people say in context of lying. If you ask “How far is the sun” you’ll know the truth of whatever they said, which is “I have no fucking clue”. You’re ignoring the first sentence and interpreting one half of a line in a bizarre manner to try and “game” the system, but you’re really just being dumb.

No, you're just trying to justify your poorly worded superpower.
A lie is anything that's not the truth, not knowing something doesn't exclude it from being a lie.
The way it's worded clearly states that you know the truth about the thing, not the truth in their minds, nor the truth about their knowledge, but the complete truth.
Complete truth.

Plus side, political debates become hilarious and/or horrifying
>"How would you solve the Israel/Palestine Conflict?"
>Candidate A: "I have no fucking idea"
>Candidate B: "Um, no clue."
>Candidate C: "Have we tried nuking the towelheads? Cause we should totally nuke the towelheads."

Fuck off, Carnac.

>I can see that as a MHA quirk
that's how I envisioned it. Also that scenario wouldn't work as the observer needs to truly believe that the hero has the power. If a villain knew this secret, his best course of action would be to trap the hero away from other people, rendering them powerless. Or better yet, leaking the info - if everyone realized how the power worked, then the power would stop working

No, it very clearly states that it’s the truth of what they say. It’s only a lie if the speaker knows otherwise. That is the very literal definition of a lie.
>lie: a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth;

>You summon fire. You don't control fire. You don't extinguish fire. You're not resistant to it.
>Superhuman strength at regular human body tolerance. Pick up a boulder, break your arms.
>Telepathy. Can't turn it off. As long as someone thinks hard while looking at you, speaks "in their mind" while nearby or you concentrate on them, you have to fight to not get lost in their thoughts.
>Telekinesis. Fires up randomly a'la poltergeist effect with limited control over it - the more rested you are while also letting your self-control slip (excitement, being distracted, high, drunk, stunned or feeling strong emotions) the higher the chance it'll flare up.
>Shooting laser from eyes. Laser is very bad for eyes. One time use power or permanent blindness.
>You can launch yourself high into the air as if to fly, leaping great distances. You're still about as resistant to landing as regular person. Bring a parachute.
>You can mentally project a waifu only you can see. It's likely a delusion since she cannot affect the world and everybody gets a creepy weaboo vibe from you.
>You can create an aura of lust. You don't control who in your area gets lustful and about whom else. People around you may go at each other, you may be molested by someone who you wouldn't want to be touched with or people will just leave, wanting to take care of the business on their own in private.
>You can teleport. Your teleportation moves you only on one axis you can choose like elevation. If you teleport into the wall, you're done for.
>You can feel fine in any weather. The weather still affects you, you can get ill or suffer a frostbite/heat stroke.

noun
a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.
Synonyms: prevarication, falsification.
Antonyms: truth.
something intended or serving to convey a false impression; imposture:
His flashy car was a lie that deceived no one.
an inaccurate or false statement; a falsehood.

Purposely withholding the other definitions of the word is a lie too, user.

The summoning one is op if you can summon germs/viruses or even venomous insects or poison dart frogs

Dude time stop for one min is insanly OP for jobs that require you think on your feet.

>Any trial Lawyer would be a god of law if they could pause for one minute to think up a response to the judge.

>A fighter pilot/infantry man could pause time to reassess a situation.

>A police officer could take one minute to think weather or not the suspect is truly a threat and worth shooting.

Your not seeing the true potential of time stoppage.

user, you can’t lie if you didn’t know better. Look at any legal system, or any use of the word in literature. Google this shit.

Alcohol is a poison

You can technically extinguish fires with small scale burns, set them ahead of the fire to burn through the fuel before the main blaze reaches it.

If you couldn't control the output of the fire then you'd have a problem.

Those anons are right though. The same way you are - it just proves that the ability isn't broken, just very versatile and useful. But in the end, things you didn't expect, which happen so fast you didn't get time to react, will happen unless you'll also pause time on accident as they were happening and then notice that they indeed were happening - which is unlikely.

>shapeshift, but you have to fight the instincts that come with the animal, such as not maiming the cleric as a bear.

Yes, I am sure there are ways and isutations under which most of those abilities can be succesfully used and that's fine - they're meant to be flawed not monkey-paw-level broken.
And so, even in the example you provide, you'd have to prepare the environment and those small burns before going for anything bigger or risk fire getting out of control, which limits usefulness of the power considerably and if not done well, can even lead to a disaster of some sort.

>Maiming the cleric
>Not maiming small children who insult the cleric

>be cop
>be confronted by resisting suspect
>see suspect reach behind his back and pull something out
>react with time stop
>"hm, yeah, that's a gun"
>get shot because you've delayed your movement by one reaction time better spent actually drawing and firing a weapon

Why would you become a bear in a city? And why not maim both?

>Assuming stopping time is the same as making a physical movement that would impair drawing a weapon
>not time stopping when the suspect first shows signs of agitation/resistance
>not time stopping while looking at the suspect to think it through if their body posture/clothing shows possibility of a concealed weapon

>super-speed
>but nobody said anything about friction, bone/muscle integrity, or ability to survive sudden stops
>can literally run, trip, then end up as a shredded meatball spread over a mile

>Not time stopping before even doing anything, slowly letting your thoughts unfurl and blossom, as you ponder totality of yourself, then your fate, then the very existence for when you'll turn off the time stop you'll hold in mind developments stemming from every outcome of every situation and visualized scenarios or relieving and accepting the consequences so when finally some situation happens, you will welcome it as something that had to happen, fully at peace with the world and its happenings, on the way to move above it.

Again I didnt say reaction based skills, I said broken for things that require you to think on your feet.

Being in a fight is not the same as having to come up with a counter argument in the court of law.

>teleportation
>unfortunately, it isn't relative to Earth, it's specific to that point in space-time
>you pretty much always end up in the emptiness of space that the Earth just whizzed through

Yeah, and I agreed with that, still saying that it's not broken as long as you are limited to merely thinking, though it's still very useful and versatile, just somewhat flawed.

>flight
>as exhausting as constantly running, and the higher/faster you go, the more exhausted you get
>basically only good for temporary levitation, otherwise you just drop out of the sky like brick

>it's specific to that point in space-time

>thinking there's an absolute universal reference frame
Brainlets pls go.