Last session one of my players died in combat

>Last session one of my players died in combat
>Call him up
>Me "hey what do you wat to play next week".
>Him "honestly I think im not going to play any more"
>Other players all agree he should have died and it was just
>He really liked that character and has been playing it for 2 years

How do you deal with players getting to attached to their characters?

Maybe he was just looking for an excuse to stop playing and his character dying provided one.

Try and brainstorm some ideas with him. He's a bit depressed because a cherished character died. Show him some cool art, or comics or a neat movie. It'll inspire him to make a new one.

Give him some time to chill out, and then tell him how the game is going, if he still shows some interest try to talk him back.

I too lost my character of 1+ year, what's worse is that he died because one guy gave the others order not to help me (not even in character) what's weird is there isn't even any bad blood between us he just said don't help him do other stuff and the life was simply snuffed out.

Despite it sounding silly people do get attached to their character and unless they got a interesting backup like i fortunately had then they might need some time away from the game before they can get back into it.

>as the corpse is slowly lowered into its grave, everyone steps forward one by one to say the last words of farewell
>the priest then stands in front of the grave, sprinkles some holy water in it and recites a lengthy prayer, finishing with the local equivalent of "amen"
>a brief moment of silence
>with a sudden clap of the hands he turns to the party and says
>"So, you guys have a job opening now, right? Here's my résumé. Looking forward to working together."

Two years is a long ass time to get attached to a character. Give him some time.

I legit don't know this feel. I usually think I'd now cool concepts I want to play than I've got time for.

Best to not emphasize one character or group. Run a lower end group with each player taking a different race and class for a change of pace. It helps if they take one completely different so they learn aspects of other positions.

BLACK LEAF NO

>How do you deal with players getting too attached to their characters?
Someone being affected by their two year old character dying now qualifies as 'getting too attached'? You sound like a pretty shit GM.

>Tfw I have a player like this.
>Except he gets attached to his dumb waifu characters after a single week.
>Had a character die on the second session.
>Moped for a whole fucking week and skipped the next session.

Start playing DCC so he gets used to the body count, then play as normal.

You don't really get used to a high body count user, you just learn to disassociate yourself from the characters so that you don't feel too bad when they inevitably bite the dusto, which is arguably worse than becoming too attached to a character that you've been playing for about two years.

Are there any deities in your setting?
Maybe one of them could revive the character, thus setting in motion the next adventure?

Maybe now the other characters could try to find a way to revive his character, thus setting in motion the next adventure (you may want to have cutaway scenes where the character does shit in the afterlife, ala DBZ or Harmonquest)

Maybe some wandering mage/priest runs across the dead character's body and decides to revive it - then after waking up the mage/priest tells the character some information he needs to get back to his party (maybe the mage/priest could become an ally to fight some new threat?)

There are a ton of ways to deal with character death if you're playing in a fantasy setting, however, if there's absolutely no hope for that character then maybe it's time to end that campaign and start a new one so all the players have to make new characters
>if you're attached to the setting it might be interesting to create new characters in the same world whose first adventure ties in to the events that ended the last campaign

I say don't try bringing him back to the group. Or you could do some bullshit to bring him back. If they've been playing for two years, they must have some connections or tricks up their sleeves to do some kind of resurrections.
Had it happen to me once, though. I lost a character I'd grown attached to all to a single bad roll(well, good roll for the monster). It fucked me up really badly. I have literally nothing outside of rpgs. I haven't really been the same since. Basically I'm just done caring about my characters. They're all just loud assholes now.

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss user. I've just recently started playing characters that I actually give a shit about and I wouldn't wish that type of hell on anyone.

Well, this guy put it way better than me.
I also don't really see why this isn't a typical option for fantasy gaming. Especially if you give the dead character's player a new fill in character there's a chance they could change their mind and want to play that permanently instead, the dead character "finding peace" through it.

I've begun caring again since we moved on from 3.pf. It was just bothersome because I had bought a splat book for the sole purpose of playing the character so there was a financial side to the loss too.

Your player died in combat, and you called him up after? You should be fucking terrified that he answered, dude.

Why? You want to tell me you aren't calling your dead friends' spirits from the underworld?

Play pendragon. You will hope for death often.