/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Welcome to the D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything — Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything — New Player Options and Spells
mega.nz/#!U7RkBJrI!76abnPsumdl4qV_KnYObbDP5g7cAV4yvpJCVJlHjrUk

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
>mfw I see how many spells wizards get, and how many clerics do

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bards>wizards>casters>martials

>>mfw I see how many spells wizards get
Well, how tall is the list?

Compare Mighty Fortress to Temple of the Gods and feel better.

Occupies nearly the entire page. I didn't know they stacked shit so high!

What's the dumbest thing your group Barbarian has ever done?
Hard mode: that turned out well

Then realize that by RAW, even after you make the temple permament by casting it 365 times, a wizard can still destroy it with a single disintegration

One of my players was playing a minotaur barbarian. He came up on a city guarded by orcs. The orcs denied him entry. He accused them of racism. Rolled a 20. I let him in.

Should I run to my FLGS to buy XGE today, or wait 3 weeks and save $20 to get it from Amazon?

Why does White Dragon's breath overtakes Black Dragon's in damage as they grow older? Black Dragons have higher CR.

>listen to 5e podcast
>they don’t even follow the most basic of rules
>they laugh to cover the fact they don’t know how to play

Genuine rage

'Rode' a ethereal-shifting horror between planes while fighting it. It actually helped un-split the party and make short work of the encounter.

Lore Bards = Wizards>Druids>Clerics>Paladins>other Bards=Hexblade>Divine Sorc>other Warlocks>>>>other Sorcerers

1v1'd a Mind Flayer
Turned out pretty well, Gnome Bearbarian so he didn't get to resist the Psychic damage but made all his Int saves with his rerolls.

Fiendlocks are actually the best warlocks now, since you can summon fiends that should be fairly friendly with infernal calling.

XGE scans when?

Working on a homebrew race of dog (fuu dog, to be specific) people.

Looking mostly for mechanic feedback, but flavor is as well.

You spent 5 gold on a holy symbol you still have, while the wizard spent 26,000 gold which is gone.

So is there any nice scan of Xanathar's yet? Whats the best available method of reading it?

what

Pulled from a few threads back, so unsure if its still up or not, but this is what I assume most people are using.

I'm buying a physical copy of Xanathar's but I'm curious as to how MPMB is going to proceed with it? Anybody got any info?

Infernal calling summons a devil who may or may not help you or attack you. If your patron is a devil then you're basically summoning a co-worker, and there would be a fiendish resources nightmare for it if it attacked you.

You're a fucking idiot if you think any DM is going to make a random fiend you summoned friendly just because you're a fiend warlock.

Hexblades are flat out the best warlocks, period.

>primal savagery
>the muslim acid attack cantrip

uh, did wotc intend to trigger brits?

So I'm going Celestial Bladelock, what's the best pact weapon?
>inb4 Eldritch Meme

>dedicate yourself to a fiend
>learn the ancient arts of summoning the fiend's servants to aid his cause
>working on the direct orders of the fiend
>finally summon one
>lol it kils u

If you're just going to assume that all DMs are shit like yours, then fiend lock is still the best, because it can bag of rats cheese every encounter.

Adventure Zone?

What would be a good base stat block for a boss-level monster (level 12 party, up to 7 members, they've killed dragons before so erring on the side of too-powerful) that's fixed in one place and themed around mutation and such?

Like a roper, but much more powerful?

>a wizard can still destroy it with a single disintegration
I thought this only happens if it's not permanent yet

is that the whole book or just the toc?

What is bag of rats? Is that an old timey name for a flail?

Fiends are naturally competitive and scheme against each other to rise in rank, if one knows that you're working with another fiend they'd be unlikely to help you or would try and make you screw over your patron

Is necromancy a decent school for wizards? I don't see people talk about it that often.

I'm thinking about making the stereotypical eccentric wizard type who accidentally studied Necromancy instead of Abjuration and now uses his knowledge of the undead to try and protect people.

For Str, a Glaive (holy spear)
Dex, Rapier.

Thanks, I'm going with a half elf dex based warlock. I could have sworn longswords had finesse.

That only works against hostile creatures, the DM could just say that the rats are neutral, simply trying to escape. Also you'd still have to make an attack against them, which could miss, and they'd be trying to make acrobatics checks to escape from the bag, and the rats would be a swarm.

RAW, a fiend lock can gain temporary hitpoints equal to its warlock level every time it kills any creature that's hostile. So you take a strong bag and put as many rats as you want in it. Then you drop some strong pepper in there to make them angry before combat. Whenever you need a hit point boost, just open the bag up a crack and throw an eldritch blast beam in there.

Fuck this fucking shit! Why are Orcas (killer whales for you casuals) only CR 3 while a fucking pussy ass shark is CR 5? Does wotc no anything? A shark that barely reaches a ton is now all of a sudden much more powerful than a giant dolphin that weighs more than a T-Rex. Orcas are by far the greatest predator in the world after man and Orcas have been known to prey on anything in the ocean including Great White Sharks. Orcas have been known to swim over 30 mph, use adcanced hunting tactics, and stun prey with sonar pulses. WotC needs to fix this shit right away.

AFAIK its not the whole book, but its not just the ToC. It has all descriptions of spells and subclasses.

Remember user, you argued that the DM was shit to prevent the fiendlock from gaining appropriate RP based bonuses to his spells. You can't also argue that the DM is good to prevent my shenanigans with the rats.

you can't have the cake and eat it too.

Yeah. They really gave orcas subpar stats. I just houserule to let players run them as half-orcas

It's pretty good, Animate Dead breaks action economy over its knee.
You also have two cool and useful damage cantrips now.

>Holy Weapon
>"You imbue a weapon you touch with holy power."
>"As a bonus action on your turn, you can dismiss this spell and cause the weapon to emit a burst of radiance."
>"Each creature of your choice that you can see within 30 feet of you must make a Constitution saving throw."

>Give weapon to someone else
>Tell them to go off and smite some evil
>Later on blow up everyone around you when the weapon isn't even in your sight
Nice epic, thanks WotC

Devils are lawful beings user. As long as you have fiendish orders backing you up from your patron, they would help out, because it's in their nature to obey. They certainly wouldn't randomly murderhobo you unless you gave them cause.

The Sunblade and Moonblade are finessable I think, but there are no finesse 2-handed or Versatile weapons in the PHB.

It's the subclass and spell sections

It's also photographs, not scans, so some bits are difficult or impossible to read (camera flash)

Where do I find the stats for those?

Cleric of ISIS

It is good. But everyone on the table will hate you after you roll for 30 skeletons each round.

Black dragon's attacks deal more damage or have a higher attack bonus or saving throw?

>We'll need you to hand over your weapons if you want to enter
>It would be my pleasure!

>fiends that should be fairly friendly
I'm with here. What?

How is the Horizon Walker Ranger? Since Planar Warrior will eat my bonus action every turn, I guess Polearm Master and Shield Master is out and Great sword (or Maul) is optimal way to play one?

It's not requiring the DM to be "good". If you have a bag containing live rats, they have their own actions since they're creatures, and rats are not necessarily hostile.

If a class/subclass has to be enabled through DM fiat, or can have elements of them shut down by actual mechanics they are not good.

Meanwhile the hexblade is entirely mechanical, there are no elements that are DM reliant and they require no shenanigans to work.

They get, when fiend would only get temp HP, a hexblade gets martial proficiency, medium armor proficiency, and the ability to designate a target to receive bonus damage, be easier to crit against, and heal you upon defeat.

Is it Adventure Zone? I have a dm that makes retarded calls constantly and he watches Adventure Zone.

Toll the Dead make Evoker Great again.

They are lawful in that they have hierarchy and rank, they still scheme and plot to overthrow their betters. They might not murder hobo you, but they're not going to be any friendlier with you if your a fiend warlock that any normal person, in fact, they might use you to their advantage, especially if your patron is of higher rank than them.

>Illusory Dragon
>"The illusion is tangible because of the shadow stuff used to create it"
Is this the power of natural language?

>want to be an infamously weak and pathetic race
>don't like that tha race is weak
Reee why can't my kobolds be superheroes?

They would pretend to obey but would find a way to backstab you.

DMG

Realized Warlocks don't get Chaos Bolt, meals pls

>uh, did wotc intend to trigger brits?

How could they when Brits IRL don't seem to really respond to the acid attacks?

Creatures are either Friendly, Neutral, or Hostile. Rats aren't smart enough to not be hostile when you've cornered them and antagonize them.

Of all classes why would you take something from Sorcerers? That's robbing the poor to give to the slightly less poor.

What a retarded and ugly looking creature. How dare it calls itself a dragon. Incredulous!

Why do DM's so often fetishise hidden information? The players know so little about the world anyway but the DM still insists they roll for EVERYTHING to find out more and even when he does offer them information it's purposefully obsfucated and obscure rather than clear and direct.

If a players passive perception is high enough to just see the trap, they see the trap. Why roll?

If the players passive / take 10 knowledge is enough to know about the Beholder why roll? They just know it.

If an NPC is lying to the players and they have a high enough passive insight to know it, they know it.

If the players see a mountain and want to climb it, why not tell them the DC is 15 instead of making them guess based on your vague description how big it is?

If the players are looking for magical swords why not tell them that magical swords exist in X place if they want to go and get them rather than cockblocking them for having intitiave?

Sorcerer crits with Chaos Bolt, and gets four of the same result on their d8s. Do they get:

1 bolt, because they had a pair
2 bolts, because they had 2 pairs (a-b, c-d)
6 bolts, because the results can be paired 6 ways (a-b, a-c, a-d, b-c, b-d, c-d)

hexblades only get to gain hitpoints from one target, and frankly speaking if your DM allows hexblade features to work with eldritch blast, he's retarded.

So hexblade is just as contingent on your DM being a particular status as the fiend lock, but I'd rather plan for a good DM since I trust the one I have, than plan for a bad one.

Why have any sort of uncertainty or mystery or thrill of discovery or failure in the world? Why not just boil everything down to pure mechanics and numbers here on my very fun and cool spreadsheet rather than tell a story?

"Yeah, sure, you can do that. Okay, rest of party, a guy is coming at you with a regular needle telling you that it will heal you. What do you do?"
"Okay, roll damage."
"This guy pricks you, and it fucking hurts. Being an adventurer, this is nothing, but you wait for the magic to set in and... Nothing."
"That Guy, your passive perception is high enough that you can see the smoke coming from the vent above you form the vague shape of a hand, and after a moment you realize the middle finger is extended. You take this and your companion's displeasure as a sign that you're probably insane."

>I have no idea when passive checks apply so I am frustrated that the DM doesn't do things ignorantly.

passive X to check for Y is boring from a gamist standpoint. I like pointing out details and letting the players figure out out of character if there's something odd about the room or not, and then rolling to see if their character can. It's more engaging that way, and I enjoyed it more when I was on the player side of things, because you always had to pay attention.

>Each creature of your choice
>when the weapon isn't even in your sight

Because of the belief that any and all metagaming is now and forever the eternal bane of "good roleplaying" and RPGs and some shit. So some DM's are complete bastards on insisting on ensuring PCs will never get any information or knowledge unless they can perceive it in-game somehow.

But there are also DMs who won't give you any information simply because they DON'T HAVE any information. They simply haven't gotten around to writing it up yet. So your rolls to find out is simultaneously and excuse not to have to make up anything if you fail the roll, and stalling for time if you succeed.

WOW

God daaaayyym

What I want to know is why wizards don't get it

Fiendlock has reasons to be limited that are supported by the rules (creatures have actions, these actions can be used to do various things such as attacks. Creatures also have health and AC, these help them not to die)

Meanwhile if a DM did such a thing with hexblade, they'd have no mechanical basis to limit it.

Actually how are traps supposed to work? If a trap is DC 15 to spot, and the monk has passive perception 16, can he just see any and all traps below the DC threshold?

But all you're doing is serving to confuse your players by making the game not about how their characters would approach the situation in front of them ( roleplaying) but about how
the players, not their characters, interpret your descriptions which no matter how good are always going to be ambiguous and subjective.

wizards can't have every---

haha, i can't even type it and maintain a straight face. It's obviously an oversight that wizards don't have it, look forward to an errata.

Wizard are too busy jerking off over steel wind strike when someone sneak that spell over to Sorcerer.

That wasn't even remotely funny bastard.

As long as you're upfront with your players about what how you're going to be doing things, and they aren't retarded, I don't see how it could possibly be confusing them.

>quote two sentences that don't contradict each other
cool :^)
It was clearly written with paladins in mind then given to clerics.

It's also limited by the fact a DM could just, y'know, not make rats appear in his game?

You can see that there is something there that looks like a trap or some manner of unpleasantry, but you do not know exactly what it is or it's composition.

That's how it works RAW but every GM under the sun ignores it because they somehow think every player rolling a perception check in every room , then arguing over trying to get to re-roll it if they roll low, is somehow more engaging.

Because it's a spontaneous improvised thing that gets thrown out and Wizards don't cast spontaneous things, they study and prepare. Sorcs should get more spells like that.

>mfw I've banned full casters
One of my players audibly rejoiced at that houserule.

either ban full casters, or ban wizards, lore bards, and all martials except rogues.

Until either is enacted, the game won't be fun.

I look forward to the Divine Wizard subclass.

>Wizards, lore bards and martials
>Martials
How the fuck does that follow?

Banning full casters that aren't multiclassed to avoid level 6+ level spells for high level games is probably fair

Alternatively make some sort of 'perils of the warp' shit for high level spells to prevent abuse

Hexblade 1 / Divine Soul X is good right?

Mainly for Armor,Shield and some more spell known and not for melee capability.

I've played with all content and it's still easily fun as long as players follow the important rule of "don't build your character like an asshole".

But yeah giving bards, clerics, druids, sorcerers, and wizards the chop does result in a pretty fun game.

You mean Theurge?

Warlock 2, always, for Agonizing blast.