WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>Backgrounds for your miniatures' photos
massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2010/05/photo-backgrounds.html
corvusminiatures.blogspot.com/2010/04/cloud-backdrops-for-your-miniature.html

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IFfbUq6vwa8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yikes!

Even if I lived in the UK and could thus save n shipping, this seems a little steep. Seller definitely knows what he has!

>There needs to be some sort of dark contrast in the face, literal, plate. It is too bright for some sort of creepy mask. It looks like you just took a shield and glued it to his face. It doenst help that it's exactly what you did...
Do you think it would help if I darkened down the lines between the green glow to true black, or is the whole thing too bright in general?
>If you glued it to the back half of the cronos head then it would have worked better.
What do you mean here, use it like a frill like in pic related?
>Green crystals are Necron flare and the actual texture on the base is flat compared to amount of detail everywhere else.
I agree with you on the base looking flat between features. Not sure what I can about it at this point though

>Too busy dude. I like it but it is hard to focus on one part.... Cool guardmen bodies!!
Yeah... I think the face is just enough of a draw to avoid too much of this problem, but I see where you're coming from. Definitely a lesson not to be too overly ambitious in the future.

Do any of you guys get paid for painting? How much do you charge per hour? How do you find customers?

Your thoughts (except the orangy of the photo)

The gold on right dorf could use more depth, like what you got going on the right deathcult assassin

update on my magnus from last night.

I'm starting on the feathers.

what are you working on right now /wip/?
I'm working on a squad of Night Lord plague marine. Fairly proud of that small kitbash!

looking sweet my dude.

Just ordered some guard models on ebay. Someones getting tacticool guard for Christmas.

Took a break from my Tau to do a couple Emperor's Children.. Not the best, but I had fun doing something more gaudy

Converted a MKIII marine into one too

Elysians?

Or Scions?

Night Lord plague marines, user? Why?

I need an anvil to support my glass cannon as fuck army of warp talons and terminators, and plague marine seems the best way to add that. -2 to hit with psychic powers + strat, 5+ fnp, T5 is pretty good (plus chapter approved supposedly drops their price to 17 points each)

The xmas thing sounds fun, but shit I would hate to be fucked over by it. Keeps me out of joining in.

Cadians. A a lot of green stuff.

Eh it's less than what a 8 hour play-though vidya costs.

>The xmas thing sounds fun, but shit I would hate to be fucked over by it. Keeps me out of joining in.

user, I can't claim that *won't* happen to you. It happened to me, in which case you might ask how this is supposed to be any sort of pep-talk.

Almost everybody else here reported positive experiences from last year's WIP Secret Santa. It was well-done and very organized; I saw a *lot* of nice pictures of things people had received, and there were good feelings all around. I just had the misfortune to get picked by someone who didn't participate like he should have.

That being said, I had a sweet X-mas side-deal arranged with our lad from Beckenham (he painted one of the two Mantis Warrior Johnnies in the OP collage), so my WIP Christmas turned out groovy *despite* what happened to me personally otherwise.

that's a squat you uncultured swine.

>Bought Shadespire and the rattlebone spooks
>It is just under the recommended temperature for spraying outside
>Getting literally any single part of priming a model even so slightly wrong apparently offends the gods, who reward you with fucked up models.

Well, that is fucking typical.
At least I have my stockpile of stuff I done before it was balls cold, but I want to paint THIS stuff dangit.

Like he said an anyways it should be looked at in a way as hey I might make someones xmas

The user I got managed to give me a Xmas after I had to spend all my money on a ticket to see my Dad
So that was awesome

I know the package I sent last year disappeared, and USPS pretty much told me 'shit happens/we will let you know/maybe the British post lost it'

I felt like a turd. This year I have better hopes. We had record #s of post stolen last year too, I hate my country.

>The xmas thing
Any link to this? I missed it when it posted the first time and I still want in.

10-15$ gift.
Send address to [email protected]

the tassel isn't being affected by gravity and it's bothering me

I recommend not drybrushing the feathers like Duncan did. It's worth the trouble of blending and edge highlighting them the regular way.

>tfw work at Amazon
Amazon offices have deals with UPS, naturally, and we get crazy discounts. And if they ever lose a package, which has happened, I get to name drop like crazy and they give me hourly updates on their searches.

I'm a first timer working on my first few squads of Imp Fists.
I'm fairly happy with my progress paining, but now I need to decide if i want to do anything special with the bases.

I was thinking of trying to come up with a nice rubble/siege warfare themed base scheme.
So plenty of stone, cables, barbed wire, rubble, dirt etc and plenty of weathering on it and the model itself.

or at the very least throw some sand and paint on there for a nice texture and call it a day.

How much is too much for a basic unit's base?

And it's a recast
Like a shit load of old GW stuff on ebay

>How much is too much for a basic unit's base?
depends on how much time you have to spend on the bases.
I put down a few big rocks (cork) rubble and on average two kinds of tufts on the bases.
If you got a fully sculpted base with 15 different pieces of scrap or ruins you'll have to paint all those things separately. Looks awesome but takes more time. Marines are a low model count army though so you can spent the time if you want to.

Shit where do you work in the network? I was at ORD10 in Chicago for the longest time lol

>I'm fairly happy with my progress paining, but now I need to decide if i want to do anything special with the bases.
>How much is too much for a basic unit's base?

I can tell you, user, that going the lazy route can be something you might regret 25 or so years down the line.

The important thing to me would be that unified bases make your army look like they would be deployed together as an army, and not just some random assortment of yellow ladz who showed up for a match. Even if you were going to be incredibly lazy and just glue flock or slap Citadel Texture Paint on the base, do the same thing (or a variation of it) for every model in that army.

Want to step above lazy? Cork is fine. Painted sand is fine. Painted sand with tufts of static grass or chips of basing slate is better. Rubble is a lot of work, but the pride you'd feel in your models would be totally worth it.

Tried a nurgling green highlight on the carapace. Better than before?

Here's the old
I'm sorry for posting so much but i wanna get this scheme right before I go $400 balls deep into this and realize I don't like what I did and have to redo it

>Better than before?

Yes! Improvement!

Not really seeing the difference

As last i'd advise you to power up the red an differentiate the blades from the skin tone more.

A good practice is put it on a desk with some clutter around, look at it from two feet away and think to yourself "does the paintjob make me give a fuck?"

Uh... I guess Yes?
>As last i'd advise you to power up the red an differentiate the blades from the skin tone more.
I really don't want to do that as I want to do natural neutral tones that don't stand out, and I want the flesh to merge with the bone as it's coming out of the appendage.
As for the red, I want it to break it up, but I don't want to be too noticeable.

Hey guys. I have never painted a mini in my life and am a bit scared to mess it up. I'd like to make dull gray plastic minis look metallic like pic related. Is the best way to achieve this a black primer and then "drybrushing" gold/brass/bronze? Also I keep reading about washing the minis with water and soap. What is this about and is it necessary? I know pretty much nothing about painting, sorry.

What about a gradient towards the ends of the blades so it still looks attached but also to differentiate it slightly

Drybrushing and washing will get a better depth as for washing that is for getting mold release off the minis and not necessary for every material but if you're unsure it won't hurt. Just make sure to rinse and let dry well

the washing up is to remove chemicals from the casting proces.

Drybrushing over black could work but you'd probably be best going with a brown wash over a gold coat in turn over a brown basecoat.

Washing with a "wash" paint for the first part realised how confusing that was after I posted it

Currently working on my Boreal Dancer from the Dark Souls board game. Thoughts so far? This blue technical paint is really kicking my ass.

I built a spooky ghost, should I paint him ethereal whites or black and more like a ring wraith?

We need an Ork Grinch at this point

Ringwraith obviously. Why are you even asking?

Spoopy. Do the black and white and wet blend to make it look like spooky greyscale.

Thanks!

Dragonmaw clan?

got my ass beat by that boss more time than I'm willing to admit, gj on the paintjob

git gud

>mfw people kept saying how hard this game was
>mfw people kept saying they died multiple times on the first of DS3
>mfw it's just a slower Monster Hunter

Fast paced action games have ruined gamers. Even moreso when they aren't super punishing like Ninja Gaiden. When they can't just faceroll their way through the game at 200 mph taking zero damage it's "hard" when all you have to do is literally walk out of the bosses way and not be swinging your weapon non-stop.

Ringwraith style definitely.

You mean Mek Niklas?
youtube.com/watch?v=IFfbUq6vwa8

If it's fun, isn't that all that matters? Difficulty is relative.

Since /WIP/ is in its cheery holiday spirits mode with the secret santa up and rolling id figure id reach out to any kind space marine playing anons that have all their sprues if they have any of the holstered bolt pistols that tac squads come with that they'd be willing to sell. Send a message to [email protected] if you are interested or have questions. I will attempt to reply in a timely manner. Thanks anons.

Always a good idea to at least mention your continent.

It's Veeky Forums, /wip/, and space marines.
Of course he's an american ultramarine player. Possibly a yiff.

Lets get ready people!

What is the color scheme for Hive Fleet Kronos?

Seattle, currently part of Logistics

Just built some Killa Kans and I'm trying to decide if the arms are worth magnetising or not

Hello painter people.
I recently got into painting without actually playing. I got some spare space marines from a friend who plays.

They are finnished and now I am looking for more stuff to paint, just paint since I have no interest in playing.
Where can you buy cheap minis?

Friend said china but it seemed to be a real hustle to actually get a hold of the crouching tiger hidden pirate recaster so not worth it.

If you want New in Box stuff, i'd try your LGS, see if they have discounts. GW start collecting boxes give an okay discount on stuff, and if you can get it cheaper at a LGS that's just gravy.

Ebay might be good, can find people trying to dump their old armies. Might have to strip the paint off some stuff though.

You should be able to get stuff from online retailers at discount, you just have to email them the list of GW stuff you want, since GW doesn't allow anyone to have an online shopping cart anymore.

If you don't want to be exclusive to GW mini's only there's a wealth of other stuff floating around on Amazon/ebay/etc.

Here's a squad of neophytes/genestealer guard, plus a sentinel i've been working on. Considering i've not painted anything for about....6-ish years i'm pretty happy with them, feedback's always welcome (oh and don't mind the names, just a way of getting my non-hobbyist gf to see/be involved)

Lots of third party retailers sell GW product for up to 20% discount. If you're patient though eBay is better. You can get new on sprue stuff for cheap often because people sell stuff off or don't know the value of what they're selling. However someone else will so be quick. I've found stuff before and went to take a shit and it's been gone when I got back.

And a solo sentinel pic

Thanks for the tips I will check it out.
And no I did not mean GW only, sorry if my post was weird.

>GW doesn't allow anyone to have an online shopping cart anymore.

Are you sure? I've seen the store pages of local shops have shopping carts, they do sell GW content.

Thanks for the tips.

man, explosive shuriken ninjas were so fucking infuriating

Tips on wet blending green swords?

even if i get fucked over, ill still be happy to send a present to some random user. i mean, even if you do, you're out of pocket what, ten-fifteen dollars?

Looks alright.
Though I think the skin on the cultists could do with another highlight layer to differentiate between the uniforms a bit more. From a little further away the skin looks a lot like the fatigues.
Pretty solid stuff otherwise though. The names could be a little cleaner but I won't go into that.

Watch Miniac's wet blending tutorial. That really helped me.

This. It's about giving, not receiving. I also encourage people to send a card to previous recipients' addresses if you have them. The holidays can be a difficult time for a lot of people. Just knowing that someone out there is thinking of you is really helpful.

Someone out there is getting an entire army. Prepare yer anuses.

>GW doesn't allow anyone to have an online shopping cart anymore.
That changed recently, actually. I know Miniature Market doesn't require you to email them a list anymore.

What's the army, Khorne?

my anus.

Christmas surprise, no peeking.

Has anyone been given there match? I haven't yet.

I shake the box to try and find out

December 1st is when everyone gets their info, as I recall.

You hear a strange mishmash of sounds, indicating multiple types of material inside. You also hear the snap of breaking resin. Good job.

roll a perception check.

...shit

>

1. You violently shake the box, trying to discern its contents.

There was a melta bomb inside. You are dead.

There was

super spoopy, I like him! Good job user!

An army of dragons dildos, user.

Sly Marbo, the 1 Man Army

I painted this cute little guy, so much fun.

I wanna do this but im scared my address is gonna get leaked

Adorable. Also nice edge highlights

Thanks :) I wish GW would bring snotlings back, they are tremendously fun.

Old ruins of a Vortex. Maybe adding the brown dirt was a mistake, but hopefully it will look better when it dries.