/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

Goblin hype edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

copplestonecastings.co.uk/list.php?cat=6&page=1
luddite1811.blogspot.co.nz/2016/02/warband-goblins-vs-hill-dwarves.html
discord.gg/ND3vFjt
shapeways.com/product/E6UHPNF4H
mega.nz/#F!V2xRFIiL!vv7xwUAFnPFxLrmtrxiSXg
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart.
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pre-orders for the Goblins are going up next week apparently.

Guess until then we'll also get to see the metal models.

reminder to say something nice about the concerned goblin captain

Bumping for Battle Companies.

Updated Warstack rules some more, after thinking on feedback about handling multi-unit interrupts, and am going for a simple (if slightly more hacky) fix for it.

-If a player would have multiple units affected by an attack, that player may Scramble! instead of Interrupting normally. Each unit must make a Move action, and only a Move action.
-If multiple players would be affected by the same Attack, they may not Interrupt. They've been caught off-guard!

I am also working on adding a glossary section, and trying to codify terms better. Definitely could use a good editor/backdrop template.

Are there any other aspects about the rules that look off/unclear?

I'm still wondering what heads to use with the northstar goblins and elves. Maybe I should go on a sweep through all the sites that sell headkits and bits.

hes handsome

This needs to come out. And i mean like immediately.

Tehnolog international shipping when?

HF has some good orc and goblin minis. You'll have to sculpt the ears yourself though.

What are you after?

Nothing in particular. The elf head just looks weird to me, so I'll probably replace it witho about any head that looks right. Maybe some historical thing.
It's the goblins I'm not entirely sure about. Maybe something a bit more ape like, a bit cartoonish and more GW but not as utterly ridiculous and gigantic as those.

Anyone tried pendraken's warband ruleset? Saw some videos from a bloke on youtube and everything looks pretty simple but the random movement mechanic always irked me for some reason.

Derp I meant heads when I wrote minis btw.

I don't know. I don't think the heads are particularly big. The models look to be around shoulder height for Northstars regular humans.
Even the Goblin heads from GW are not gonna be bigger, because even though their bodies are small their heads are huge.

I'm waiting for the reveal of new pictures next week. The other minis were painted by Kev Dallimore these weren't afaik, so i'm on the fence about what to think.I don't like the paintjob on them I think. I'd like to see some high res images of the bare plastic.

There's already plenty GW and fan made stuff on it, I finally got a gander at the new stuff in white dwarf and it looks trash. Basically the old stuff, set starting bands, no choice in hires, boring as fuck post-game. Only good coming out of it is the models getting re-released.

Reckon I'm just going to stick the the existing stuff and finish piecing together my 4e campaign rules.

Does anyone here play guildball? Its got a relatively lively scene near me but i've never played it because the teams never interested me except maybe fishermen and alchemists, but not really.
However the upcoming "Old Father's Harvest" box has cool looking minis and i like the sound of the "sow and reap" mechanics with markers and stuff. Would that be a good box to start the game with when it comes out? Or would i also need the other farmer box?

>I don't know. I don't think the heads are particularly big.
No, the goblin heads are quite reasonably sized, that's not what I meant. I was just thinking that I'll maybe try to get heads that look a bit like GW's Ork or Goblinheads, but not as big. Because god damn, those Orcs and Orks have some ridiculous mugs.

I got one of those AoS minis in a White Dwarf.
I have no real use for it, so I thought I'd make a giant for Frostgrave out of it.

I didn't realize his arms are two different sizes before I build the thing, so I guess that's just how my giant now looks. Not sure where to go from here though.

What do you guys think?

I am back from a Japan trip with a good spread of kaiju capsule toys, and a bunch of Ultraman figures in similar scale.

They're... not quite 6mm (because due to old tokusatsu EVERYTHING IS HUGE IN THE MODEL VILLAGE shenanigans ultraman is canonically fucking massive) but they'll look good alongside 6mm.

Has anyone got any advice for repainting slightly softer plastic than the usual wargaming stuff? I feel I could touch up the paint apps on some of the figures, especially bringing King Joe down slightly from christmas ornament gold to a more diving-suit like tone as seen in Ultraseven.

On the same note I picked up a couple of Gamilas battleship kits and a Hagane capsule toy from SRW to use in Full Thrust.

Fucks sake...not on this weeks pre-orders. This better not push until December.

Here, decide for yourself.

I am in love with Copplestone's 10mm Fantasy range. copplestonecastings.co.uk/list.php?cat=6&page=1

I've already put a special order with my FLAGS this week for a bunch to use in my One Ring campaign but I'm very heavily considering buying a full range if I can find a really good 10mm fantasy miniatures game, best of all a Middle-Earth game. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Well, this game just so happens to also have fan-made LotR army lists.

Also this blog has a few AARs to give some idea what the game is like.

luddite1811.blogspot.co.nz/2016/02/warband-goblins-vs-hill-dwarves.html

Thank you, I will have a look at it!

Cheers!

Neat.

Have you considered using the War of the Ring rules?

So found this little size chart for Heavy Gear, gives a good idea how big a Gear is for those wondering.

Sorry if picture is a bit small.

Any Eurofriends want to buy a bunch of Azbats so us Amerifats can get them for a semi reasonable price?

Just noticed it'll be like $33 to get one sent to the States, and it's a web store exclusive.

Hey Folks, Wargames General is a discord server focused around wargames, as you might be able to tell! We'd love to have you join us.

discord.gg/ND3vFjt

I really like the choice for the head
Maybe the hammer is a bit small

Make some photos, I'm curious

Is it possible to find interesting stuff also for 28mm?
Some of the gashapon seems pretty big

I'd do it, but I've just looked up shipping rates and if you add shipping to around here and a registered letter to the US together, you are pretty much back at 30 bucks.

Thanks.
I'm using a mix of Fireforge and Gripping beast parts for my soldiers, so the rest of the minis are gonna be closer to truescale. Hopefully that will all look alright next to each other.

I just can't help but to feel he's missing something else when I look at him, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe I should just get it over with and call him done.

He looks neat!

goblin pre-orders confirmed for next week

i don't understand the attention these things have been getting. they look so...crap.

Man. I wonder if any will ahow up on eBay at some point. I really want one, but that sort of price is just retarded.

>they look so...crap
To each their own. Moat people are excited because that have that old school Tolkien style charm to them. I'll gladly take these over any GW style Goblins with their down syndrome faces.

Do you think those would make good rhinos for epic? I really like their look, but I'm afraid they'll end up way too long.
shapeways.com/product/E6UHPNF4H

Besides, does somebody know a place that sells turrets without the vehicle? It's been a pita so far.

Did you check out onlsaught miniatures yet?

I guess some of the mechs might work at 28mm but the proportions aren't great.

Here's most of my haul - all at about 3" physical size, which looks suitably towering over 6mm tanks and is in-scale with Monsterpocalypse etc.

I got Voltes V, Raideen, the chick's mech from Godannar, two Godzillas, an Ultraman kaiju I forget the name of, Dark Lugiel, King Joe and Ultraseven himself.

Also in the bag somewhere are Adel from FF8 in similar scale, Zetton and another kaiju I forget the name of.

My plan is to either use them in Horizon Wars (buying some Battletech planes and tanks to use as Science Team of the Week mooks) or just do a kaiju rumble with Rogue Planet or A Fistful of Kung Fu.

i'm mostly interested in the old school aspect of them

the old gw lotr goblins were ok, specially the metals, but those hobbit goblins are absolutely god awful

I did. Their infantry is great (I'm making a SoB and zealots army for Armageddon)
But all they got is a twin flamer turret that is mediocre, and the rest is high tech stuff like lasers.
I think I'll have to hunt for trolls.cz bits and use sponsons for my Immolator needs.

What’s the best dungeon crawler out there? Which one lets you play coop, solo, or against each other? Has advancement?

What’s the best fantasy skirmish set? Preferably one that could work up to or affect a mass combat game?

Onslaught sob are pretty damn great

Yeah, the Goblins for LotR were great, then they made them into boring, generic, ugly baddies for the Hobbit and they lost any charm.

I also don't like the Warhammer Goblins because they have such derpy faces.

tbqh i hated the hobbit designs, the hunter orcs were alright but the gundabad orcs were such a shame to me, those shields were so stupid and the overall armour design was awful

I can't really recall any good designs from the Hobbit. What was great in the LotR movis is how they got semi-plausible equipment. With The Hobbit, they said "fuck it", and threw shit all over. Those Elvish armors look fucking awful.

inb4 Elvish Preshley

i liked a lot of the lotr armour designs, orcs in particular looked good, a motley horde of freaks, trolls were neat too

as for the hobbit, the ringwraith designs were actually ok i thought, the trolls looked cool too but a lot of the stuff was complete shit

The aesthetic in the Hobbit films hurts my soul. Although the lake town stuff was pretty cute

laketown was comfy, mirkwoods was actually pretty creepy

dol goldur was kinda crummy, i know it was ruins but it didn't look like a fortress at all, more like a giant maze

I really liked the look of Dwarves/Elves at war, with the ones turtling, the others vaulting, etc.

Thank you based user

Remember to consider buying a copy if you like it enough to start playing, Pendraken are pretty cool guys.

I liked the Mirkwood Elves, and some of the Dwarfs looked alright. I quite liked the designs of the men of Dale, but the Orcs and Goblins were such shit.

Just recently rewatched the extended edition of the LotR trilogy, and it really is stark how much better everything in those movies. The use of practical effects makes everything feel more real than the over saturation of CGI the Hobbit trilogy had.

they really went overboard on the cgi for the hobbit and it was very noticeable

The design of the Hobbit is ok to good.
Is just absolutely inappropriate for a LotR movie.

Thanks!
I'm not too keen on the Godzillas but the others look cool

Horizon Wars is so underrated

Plastic kit, good customization with lot of options, not too pricey (compared to GW)

It's a multipart plastic fantasy kit and a lot of people like the oldschool fantasy look. It's not rocket science.

bump. tried a quick color scheme+unit markings for it, any criticism?

>What’s the best dungeon crawler out there?
Depends on what you like in a dungeon crawler.
Warhammer Quest is the staple boardgame I guess.
GW currently do the whole silvertower revival thing. Can't recommend that though since I never played it.

If you are thinking more of a traditional D&D experience then Otherworld's rules could be worth a look from what I know

iirc there was also something about the film itself.
It was shot in a different format with more frames per second.
So the stuff we've come to expect in cinematic visual language like motion blur and whatnot wasn't there. The action scenes were all super crisp and somehow that made it feel artificial to me even though, in real life you'd see it just as sharp.
Kind of weird how what you are used can color your perception. When the technical imperfections of a camera lens would have made it more real to me.

That didn't bother me so much as all the CGI. Like they just went overboard with it. It was the same thing as the Star Wars prequels. Everything was filmed in front of green screens, CGI everywhere and nothing felt real.

I get some stuff HAS to be CGI, but there is a point where it almost becomes a crutch. I'm a staunch supporter or practical effects. You know why the T-Rex attack in Jurassic park still looks so damn good? Because they built a fucking dinosaur and attacked people with it. Say what you will about Force Awakens, but they went for a great blend of practical and CGI.

There's also no question that the Hobbit didn't respect its source material neraly as much as the LotR trilogy did.

The prequels and Hobbit movies were fucking stacked with practical effects. The models they built for Hobbit were ridiculous.

That is more of a /bgg/ question. But the answer is honestly Gloomhaven. It simply offers more than the competition, and plays better to boot. It is only co-op though. Nu Warhammer Quest is mediocre, but can work. It is vs. only. Descent is more of a competitive board game that is stuffed, but if you group is into that then it may be for you. It is co-op, singleplayer, and vs. Dungeon Saga is probably the best Hero Quest esque game, however you need the adventurer's companion expansion to get some decent progression and scenario options. It is vs. normally, but with said expansion it becomes solo and co-op as well. The Dark Souls board game is garbage unless you are playing it singleplayer. It is solo and co-op.

The reasoning why the hobbit used so much CGI is because they had barely any time to actually plan the films and get practical stuff built.
Like says, they used a tonne of practical effects, but the whole film was basically being made by the seat of its pants, stuff like props needed for a shoot being completed earlier in the day and rushed to set. Using CGI means that more could be done later in post, the whole film is an example of studio meddling, with its strict deadlines and insistence on having the films be a trilogy.

Having seen the behind the scenes stuff for both Lotr and the Hobbit, I really feel for Peter Jackson. He looked like he was really enjoying himself on Lotr and he looks like he's about to die making The Hobbit.

Hadn’t heard of otherworld. What can you tell me about it (for I am the laziest of fucks and can’t switch tabs to google)

I did see Dungeon Saga has a ton of expansions. I’ll download the rules a and take a look. Thanks!

I think it's based on 7TV's game engine. The game by Crooked Dice.
Can't tell you more about it though cause I haven't even read that.

I should maybe clarify: I know they did stuff with practical effects, but due to the aforementioned studio fuckery they did way more with CGI in post. It just felt less genuine to me. Like seeing Lurtz vs. seeing Azog.

Anyway, I think I've derailed this thread with /tv/ talk for far longer than I should have.

So here's a question about BMG. Are the old stat cards still valid or will they be updating them? Some I see still mention cm for measurment, although that could be because I'm looking at the cards on their website. I was browsing the 2nd edition rules, and it doesn't seem like much has changed. I can grab me a little Black Mask crew for a reasonable price. Here's what I'm thinking of running:

Leader - Black Mask

Sidekick - Reaper

Henchmen - Mesh, Goon, Goon 2, Anatoly and Mule Goon

Free Agent - Firefly

Mostly going off what's available to me at the moment, and what looks cool.

Does anyone have a scan of the Lord of the Rings Strategy battle game by GW from like 2009, it's the blue one with the ring on the cover? Sold my copy off ages ago but found the models in my basement and was getting nostalgic

>Tauriel

The hobbit goblins are perfect as ghoul/cannibals

Anyone got Osprey's Bug Hunts?

Does anybody here read Vanguard rules and is following the KS?

IIRC instruction mentioned item cards but they are nowhere mentioned in the KS. Does it mean they will probably back off from using these cards after alpha rules?

Here is the mega with the LoTR stuff. The blue book is in the last folder.
mega.nz/#F!V2xRFIiL!vv7xwUAFnPFxLrmtrxiSXg

I've been watching the bonus material for The Hobbit movies and it's much more enjoyable then the movies themselves. It's a shame that the executives are greedy cunts, Peter had to replace Del Toro and only had one year of pre-production compared to three years for the Lotr trilogy.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey had plenty of sets and costumes even if you could notice the bad CGI while the other two movies both get worse CGI then the previous one.

Yeah most stat card are correct.
Some set will have rereleases (freeze) to give them the new layout but the rules changes are mostly minor except for the movement changes and some small ability changes/clarification.
The cards on the website should be most updated but do look into the ability compandium for the abilitities.

Another change is that Organized Crime, Luther, Black Mask and Two Faces were put together under the header Organized Crime.

Update on the "can I use capsule toys/cheapass models as wargaming figures" project.

This is a 400 yen (£2.67/$3.52) Mecha-Colle range Macross kit I painted up simply with a sci-fi colour scheme. It's a bit lacking detail, but for the price that's probably to be expected.

It's about 4"/10cm long, so based on how big the plane is in-setting it comes out at about 1:190 scale.

Of course, you can be a bit flexible with this, so it would probably work well put on a proper flying base at 10-15mm (1:200 - 1:300) scales (just assume the pilot has more or less legroom accordingly).

I'm not sure you'd get a comparable 10-15mm fighter jet from most wargaming ranges for less than $5, so if you want a quick and cheap force of future jets it's worth trying to track these down.

holy molly, where did you get it?

I bought it in Akihabara, which isn't that practical to be fair, but it's probably worth checking HLJ/Mandarake/Amazon Japan.

the op has the dark ospreys on mega. should be in there

Any WIP pics? I've been experimenting with a mix of Fireforge, Gripping Beast, and Perry to create some SAGA and Song of Blade and Heroes Warbands, I'm curious to see how they'll all look together

Okay, thanks.

Yeah I saw the organized crime were all one thing now, and I may very well buy some other guys to mix it up. Hoqever I am a stickler for a proper theme. Although, those Lexbots are awful tempting.

Okay, so /wip/ is fucking worthless if you aren't praising Duncan or showing off GW models, so I'm going to ask this here.

Do any of you guys know what Vallejo paint would be a best match for P3 Greatcoat Grey?

Russian uniform.

Fuck that thread but use their resources

dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart.

I don't have any P3 paints, so I can only guess. I have three greys from Vallejo here.

I think the VGC Cold Grey may be a shade too light. VMC Dark Grey is too dark. Both are neutral black/white greys though.
For reference the Cold Grey would be an even 1:1 b/w mix.

VGC Sombre Grey looks to be about the right shade, a little darker than Cold Grey but it has a tinge of blue in it. Some of the pictures I googled are neutral grey and some are a bit blue.
So depending on what Greatcoat Grey actually looks like in person this could be useful.

If it doesn't have the blue in it, then I'd look into the VMC range. They have a beautiful range of browns and grey with subtle color variations.

Awesome, thanks for the help, lads! Looks like Russian Uniform is the match, at least according to the chart. It also has one for Rucksack Tan, which is good because I've been needing to replace that as well.

I hate the oathmark stuff, imo they look bad, but I also hate a lot of the frostgrave stuff north star put out. At the end of the day people will buy what they want.
GW charge 20 pounds for 16 dwarves and the northstar at 25 pounds for 30 dwarves.

What I will say is that Oathmark looks a hundred million times better than anything mantic (20 dwarves for 18 pounds) but it's not really so cut and dry I to stack up the costs (GW 1.25 pounds per, N* 0.83 pounds per, Man 0.8 pounds per) because at the end of the day none of these product lines are interchangeable.

If you're fishing for a dwarf army you can't build and army out of the N* BOX (because it is one box), you could maybe build a LoTR force out of them with some conversions but the N* kits shine for small skirmish games or D&D minis.

Give me a perry sculpt any day.

the perry sculpts for the metal mordor orcs are amazing, easily some of the best miniatures gw ever put out, much better than the metal stuff

come to think of it the metal lotr stuff in general was fantastic

>Give me a perry sculpt any day.
I'd do anything if they started doing fantasy plastics again.

Yeah I have both Lex Corp and Two-Face.
I mostly fielded them as the theme too, but I didn't use the prisonet either to preserve the black/white style.
Though Lex I eill field with cops as I find it fitting

Finally ordered my batman stuff! Settled on Az-bats, the new batman resin starter, jason blood and john constantine. Az-Bats, Etrigan and John all bring powerful fire moves, then i can take 2 arkham guards to fill space and use whistles to stop people putting out the fire. If i find Az-Bats isnt working out for me i can just use the regular bats from that starter too and with the free superman red son model i can run that + batman model as "worlds finest" for fun games.

Look at the new two-face starter, it has a guy with a flamethrower, the perfect compliment to firefly, plus the Shield/Maul dude in it has Brutal, letting him reroll to increase chance of crits which synergizes with black mask. Two Face seems like he will do well with the same type of lists as Black Mask, which is "lots of henchmen".

Also i figured out why Penguin is a seperate list to organized crime! Penguin's gimmick is hiring tons of free agents, some free agents cant be taken by organized crime for various balance and/or fluff reasons, so keeping him as seperate lets them give him access to a wider range of free agents.

The post stuff actually caused GW issues. There was an actor in practical costume for EVERY Bolg scene, which they sent the design of to GW to become a miniature. In Post they decided since Bolg is the one who interacts with Azog the most it looks weird if only one of them is CGI and kind of breaks the immersion, so they CGId Bolg and totally changed his look.
The old Bolg is now "Keeper Of The Dungeons" in hobbit miniatures.

Looking for medieval banners and flags to print, can you guys help me?
You would think they are made of gold leaf when you look at the store prices.

Nice! I want Azbats so fucking badly, but it's tough for me to justify $33 for a single dude.

Maybe one will show up on eBay at some point.

I'll take a closer look at that Two-face set, thanks!

I want to do Penguin as well at some point. I love a lot of his older henchmen models.

the ospreys in /hwg/ have banners and stuff like that sometimes, at least the ones for the napoleonic wars have them. Just look through the ones that detail uniforms.

would you ever use these guys as rohan milita/light cav?