Discuss

Which is better? Fantasy? Sci-Fi? Both?

Sci-Fi
But holy SHIT are those some ugly fucking squid-people.

sci fi is fuckin gay. We live with better tech than shadowrun and a lot of shitty 80s sci fi shit.

At least fantasy is a bit creative but now everyone just copies the dudes who did it well (Tolkien) while swearing because GRRM made them think that's super edgy and cool.

Both genres are full of stupid shit at this point because the faggots who write the stupid shit just copy other peoples stupid shit instead of creating their own stupid shit.

GoT is pretty much a retards version of the hundred years war with 'muh dragons' stapled to the side and a lot of badly written bullshit on top.

From someone who's never so much as picked up a book int the ASoIaF series, from what I can tell, the setting is fantasy in the barest sense of the word. For the most part it's overly shitty medieval land with the bare minimum of fantastic stuff in order to actually qualify as fantasy. As if it were written by a government office and every fantastic element they had to put in cost them money

Both.

Well... the main threat to the world is an army of ice zombies and an undead making lich king.
The warring factions trying to take the throne just takes up twice as much real estate.

Ok, so it's poorly focused then. More a case of "I wanted to write historical fiction but it probably won't sell so I'll trick a bunch of idiots into thinking my shit's fantasy by writing all the fantasy stuff in a place where no one can see it"

Both can be done well or poorly, but what I really like is am mix of the two.

Sci-Fi and Fantasy are the same thing looked at through a different point of view - shit that isn't real according to the current consensus of what is real or possible.

So there is no second thing to compare the first to in an effort to decide which is better.

Fantasy. But good Fantasy, not "it's real world physics but with magic on top xd" shit.

Entirely personal preference.

I prefer science fiction. I like space, robots, and lasers. The only thing appreciate more about fantasy is it's smaller scale by default (despite the best efforts of many would be authors).

Its literally the same thing.

Gotta side with chocopus here on the principle.
Alright, it's less of an actual principle and more of a fetish, but the point stands.

So was it ever established what's the deal with the Splatoon setting? I get that it's like the distant future and squids are now the dominant species, but how do they explain them evolving into shapeshifting lolis?

GUYS
GUYS, GUYS
WE MUST NOW CREATE A SETTING (a planetary romance/weird fantasy setting, of course) BASED ON THE MOST FAMOUS CEREAL BRANDS

There must be a not!Ravenloft area that is ruled by the inexplicably high number of monster-mascot'd cereals like Count Chocula, Frankenberry, etc.

Seriously, why does food + monster = cereal mascot?

I got to make a special concession for "speculative fiction" here which is the bread and butter of "good sci-fi" but ultimately a good story is a good story if it uses its setting well regardless of sci-fi or fantasy elements.
The best stories in both of these genres are about the genuine human and societal reactions in these strange worlds anyways.

don't you start talking shit about my squid based waifu mother fuck i will cut you

They're both the same shit especially once you get away from the """Hard""" sci-fi, it's just a different presentation of it.

See: Clarke's Third Law

I like fairy tales and shit

There's not really any difference.

Nah, even if the fantasy elements were stripped from it, it would be shit as historical fiction.

The best fiction defies such classifications.

You realize that a ton of ancient mythology is actually just veiled political commentary, right?

>Dragons are actual science
>In an alternate timeline reptiles evolved from hexapedal ancestors like the pterosaurs of our world they evolved wings
>dragons

All sci fi eventually becomes fantasy
some fantasy becomes science fiction

mixes are always a massive fuckup.

Sci-fi. In general, it's able to have whatever the hell the author wants and let him get creative, or to explore a speculative setting whether it be scientifically hard (Rendezvous with Rama) or soft (Asimov's Robot stories). Fantasy is too concerned with past symbols and re-hashed stories to do the same.

Aw yiss, the Dreamland cycle. It's a shame Lovecraft is known more for his Mythos writing than this stuff.

Explain how the above is "concerned with past symbols and rehashed stories".

I'm not picky. In fact, I'm a fan of kitchen sinks, myself.

And here I thought Marina was my true love.