What's the Games Workshop way?

What's the Games Workshop way?

>imba

What the fuck kind of useless jive lingo is this goddman "gamer" shit

Presumably short for "Imbalanced"

yes but why.

Typing shorthand?

Imbalanced?
That's a funny way of pronouncing profit.

Because people are lazy and only type the first four letters.
"The new thing is GREAT, the old new thing we sold you last edition is now crap, and you're better than the book before you." in general. They do not always succeed at this because they are not good at writing rules even when trying to push sales of new shit.

in all the time i've played mobas and mmos ive never actually seen someone write 'imba'

I think that the new CEO is trying to tone that down

The term hasn't been in actual use since the early 2000's.

Alright, then, it's the Classic GW Way.

Old term (imbalanced) that predated and was replaced by "OP"

lol

to crush the fanbase
to jack the prices
and hear the lamentations of elegan/tg/entlemen

Valve way is best
fite me

It's an old term as was pointed out that I've definitely seen used in Starcraft: Brood War and Warcraft 3. Teamliquid sometimes uses it still, especially after the Starcraft Remaster brought in newfags who genuinely think that after 20 years Terran is actually "imba" and they pretend to be those guys who "always knew it was, but nobody listened"

Depend on the limit of the broken.
Power fantasy is nice but if we can avoid making everything OP as fuck

destroy the setting and make an new version with space marines

you guys are just too young to be allowed on the internet

The GW way: Bi-polar
>Let's use this edition to streamline things and bring it all down in power level
>No wait, we're going the other way. Too bad for the handful of armies that got released during that mood-shift
>Scrap that whole other game, replace it with a whole new one. We won't even attempt to balance it, so it can't BE unbalanced
>Nevermind it does need balance actually

Put fewer figurines in the packages, and charge more money for them.

They use game balance to sell models

>We arent selling as many marine models anymore, lets release a new weapon and make it broken to push sales (grav)
>Everyone bought grav, lets make it shit and release a NEW type of marine and make that good
>We arent selling many riptides/crisis commanders/wraithguard/wave serpents/gorkanauts/zoanthropes/leman russes, lets give them better rules

Kek

I miss when Jo was Veeky Forums regular.

If that were true all the new stuff would be broken on release.

no, because people will buy new stuff just because its new

Exactly, it being broken on the tabletop is just a chance. Lots of new stuff never gets touched by competitive players.

By that reasoning marines, being the ones that sell the most, should always be broken. Instead we just came out from the age of eldar and tau and marines are mediocre or little better, with some exceptions like 6th SW.

>whats a balance?

>There are people alive today who have no idea what the slang I grew up with means

Oh my God. I'm old.

I don't understand the riot way

Nerf everyone, now you all suck and can't do shit and also fuck you.
Pretty much sums it up.

Basically the opposite of Valve - instead of everyone being OP, everyone just gets nerfed into the ground. That's honestly outdated though, the way they do it now is to nerf the offending thing into the dirt, wait two years while said thing is so useless you'll get flamed for using it, and then rework it to the point where it's so OP they have to nerf it again.

The Valve way.

It's alright, nobody does.

>valve way
>they have hats

Find the most popular factions that aren't Space Marines / Human Warriors, nerf them into the ground, make Space Marines / Human Warriors the best faction, then replace all the Space Marine / Human Warrior models with strictly better ones that cost more.

Don't worry, it's not really the riot way. The riot way is "Oh, X is OP? Let's nerf Y instead"

>this underage right here
user, until very recently, Eldar was the top army in the game EVERY EDITION. The only exception was 5e, because they never got a 5e dex.
We will see how 8e sorts out, but dummies that spout this immediately out themselves as kids who don't know shit about 40k, or trolls that honestly need to try harder.

To do one of the following:

If it's a single unit OP in a new codex:
>Buff it more (wave serpents 6/7th/Fracture of biel'tan)
>Instantly nerf it into uselessness the next opportunity they get (Acolytes 8ed)
>Ignore it. Hope the players forget (they won't) (riptides 6th/7th/supplements )

If it's a unit that's underpowered this codex:
>Ignore it. Possibly nerf it next edition anyway. Pretend to be surprised when people don't buy the model. (Flash gits, Vespids, Biovores, Mandrakes, the list goes on)

If it's a new codex that's overpowered:
>exaggerate it even more to drive sales (eldar 6/7ed)
>Increase powerlevel of subsequent codices to match sort of, and then forget (necrons 7ed)
>Ignore it (8ed so far)

If a codex is underpowered this edition:
>Ignore it, get surprised when people don't buy it, squat the army because people don't buy it (TOMB KINGS, BRETTONIA, SoB pls no)
>Ignore it, continue nerfs (Orks 4th/6th/7th, Nids 5th/6th/7th)
>Horrendously over-buff to compensate (orks 8th, Nids 8th)

So, as a general trend, it's to ignore the problem and randomly buff or nerf according to the will of a coinflip. Recently they've begun to pay some sort of attention to this sort of thing, but have been quite all over the place in terms of what gets hardnerfed and what gets a slap on the wrist. (acolytes vs conscripts)

>Horrendously over-buff to compensate (orks 8th, Nids 8th)
Orks were paper tigers at best, and revealed to be nothing like people erroneously thought.
Nids seem like the same, a lot of chicken little shit and no substance.

Maybe it's just the casual setting, but I've never lost a game with them yet, while I can't seem to win with my tau. What weaknesses do they have? What can men do in the face of 180 boyz, without resorting to 210 conscripts and the GullyBuff?

>"Oh, X is OP? Well it puts asses in the seats for our e-sports shit so we won't touch it and nerf Y instead because reddit's been bitching about it"
ftfy

but user, tesagi is real.

Flash is going to 3-0 HerO tomorrow and prove it.

Hordes is a general weakness of the edition, it seems, not of particular armies.
Even then, it's like saying a tourny grade army can only be matched by other tourny grade armies. See Tau drone spam, for example.

The WotC way is to deny it's even a problem for years and tell you to deal with it on your own.

Not so much. They admitted 3e was beset by problems (near the end), actively worked on 4e and took the reins firmly with 5e.

He was only on here so he could get famous enough to start his fan fallowing

I just wish he'd come back and do more Cultist-chan.

the blizzard way.

"Tau are OP"
"now, Terrans"
"now, greyknights"
"no, now Zerg"
"Tau again"
"guard, again"

I miss when Veeky Forums produced new things.

Pretty much the same as "The Blizzard Way" according to that comic.

Hey, remember when that comic was about TF2?

Checked

That comic has always been about what the writer is currently playing.

>What's the Games Workshop way?
A new overpriced but must have model.