What makes a true hero?

What makes a true hero?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oiXaT_1I-vw&feature=youtu.be&t=59s.
youtube.com/watch?v=zq2TbgQFT0s
youtube.com/watch?v=RfHnzYEHAow
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Eating all your vegetables, and getting a good night's sleep.

You are the one who runs towards danger
not away from it

When you stop evil from inflicting cruelty onto the world

When you decide you are neither monster nor sheep

When you are willing to tell the world, you are a man who knows he is free

Having a cause to fight for.

I think this sums it up nicely

Everyone has a cause to fight for, except for the most absurdly self-absorbed pricks who often forget other people exist. Your racist aunt thinks she's a noble defender of the whites against all those brown people. I would argue your cause needs to be just and good. "But user, what is just and good?" you say. That's where story happens.

Self sacrifice.

Being written into the history books as a hero, not forgotten.

Size of the titties.

Others seeing you as such.

You are the one who fights beasts, yet does not become one
You are the one who runs where the brave dare not go
You are the one who lifts up those who cannot rise on their own
You are the one who stands before the weak, to ensure they can become strong
And you are the one who gazes into the abyss, and makes friends with it, because the abyss is misunderstood and is just lonely.

youtube.com/watch?v=oiXaT_1I-vw&feature=youtu.be&t=59s.
Yeah its probably the Titties

Good genes

I love how goblin hero isn't a legendary.

I mean, to be fair, if hit aunt got something done, and in fact insured that white people didn't die out, she would be a known hero. At least in future generations.

He hasn't become a legend, yet.

Next MTG set to come out! "Goblin legend" what is his Mana cost, stays, abilities, and flavor text?

A memorable villain to oppose.
Doesn't necessarily need to be a person, even: poverty, disease, natural disasters, the divine right of kings, etc. can serve as villains quite nicely.

Doing the right thing, even when no-one is watching.

As someone who has just wanked one out, I now feel ashamed. I’ll try to be the hero you want me to be, user-kun!

Bodycount.

Eh, there's nothing wrong with masturbation. What you do for fun is your own business, so long as you're not hurting anyone.

youtube.com/watch?v=zq2TbgQFT0s

No one expects much. Not from me. They think that a weak hero won't be much help. I know that better than anyone!

I'm not good enough, I know that much. I'm aware that I have no chance of beating you, no one needs to tell me Anything like that!

And yet, I must try. It's not about winning or losing! It's about me taking you on right here, right now!

Do not invoke a dump of no-fap infographics.

>what makes a true hero?
I would say that a true hero is someone who does what he believes is right, even (especially) when it's difficult. However, history will determine whether that persons cause was a heroic or villainous and label the individual who acted as such. So there is no such thing as a true hero, no storybook heroes exist in real life and that makes heroics hard to pin down. You take a look at after action reports for soldiers awarded high honors and it's usually more about staying alive, trying to save the lives of their comrades (the closest thing they have to a family there), or trying to complete the mission to get back home than it is about any lofty ideal of heroism. If you're trying to make someone labeled a hero for your game whenever your PCs get his version of the story don't make it out to be a fairy tale, have him be a guy who performed the actions that he felt best let his people survive, have him blame himself for the ones who still didn't make it.

The right place, the right time.....

And the kind of person to be in that moment. Could be lucky, could have sacrificed everything they have and more, or simply one who was entrusted the future.

Mumen Rider is the model hero.

>However, history will determine whether that persons cause was a heroic or villainous and label the individual who acted as such.
Relativist pls go

>relativist pls go
>not realising that people are not homogenous on any topic
>not having a world built up enough that different people in each faction might have different views on a topic
Sounds like your GM is shit at worldbuilding and/ or you've got no imagination user

>Some societies eat babies, that means totally okay!

>muh sheep dog
>muh thin line
Really hoping you aren't another self-righteous vet patting themselves on the back with ridiculous, non-analogous false-analogies.

>not realizing that people are not homogeneous

Really? Yea, I got a little confused when nearly every culture on Earth created virtually identical moral structures pretty much independently, and then got together through trade, war, and cultural exchange and arbitrated that a pretty specific and set group of morals were acceptable, only to then - over the last few centuries - develop those morals into almost identical forms through further cultural philosophy and arbitration to arrive at virtually identical moral structures everywhere but in completely isolated communities and literally regressed or backwards-thinking countries.

I figured since arbitration is literally authority that said arbitration would be, ya know, authoritative.

>some societies eat babies, that means totally okay!
user, I think you missed the point here, and the point is that based off of your circumstances something may be perceived differently. In your strawman example one culture may even find that acceptable, such as a society where each firstborn is given to the church for ritualistic cannibalism in order to appease their god. In that situation to that specific culture, cannibalism would appear to be the "good" "righteous" or "heroic" thing to do. Now obviously almost any other culture looking in on their practices would be appalled by their barbarity. This again goes back to the concept that heroism is ultimately in the eyes of the beholder, one of the things modern soldiers are taught is that despite someones cultural motivations potentially being foreign of our own doesn't make them inherently evil, nor does it make their actions forgivable, and that they should act on this in the way that is deemed acceptable for the laws of the land they are in.

A hero is someone who is willing to risk self harm and make personal sacrifices for the good of others he doesn't even know, with no expectation of recognition or reward. Any decent person would take risks to help his friends, and any common mercenary would do a good deed if it made him rich. But it takes a hero to risk yourself for someone you don't even know, simply because they need help.

A true hero is someone who has the strength and skill to not just attempt to save others in the fashion, but the means to succeed.

A man who runs into a burning building to save someone trapped in the flames is a hero even if he perishes in the attempt. But a true hero, or perhaps just a lucky one, comes out of that building carrying the survivor to safety.

Sheep don't hate sheepdogs. In fact, sheepdogs are usually accepted by sheep as leaders by default.

When you have a conception of the world that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault.

Sssssh, you are going to ruin someone's exceptionalism fantasy.

The dude never said that it's totally okay.
The fact is, history isn't written by the winners, or the survivors. It's written by any asshole who comes along later and says they're writing history. (Which, I guess you could refer to them as 'winners' or 'survivors', but that's stretching the definition to the point of tautology).
Maybe one particular dude gave his life defending an otherwise-unremarkable village from goblins, to give the villagers time to escape to a nearby city.
But 200 years later, some jackass is making a play about the era, and needs a supporting bad guy who's a former soldier from the Goblin Wars, and stumbles upon this little tidbit. So, he decides to make a story in which the guy didn't give his life, he sold his soul.
The play becomes a hit, and everyone loves this little evil lieutenant side character, and he becomes something of a stock character in stories. All because one asshole made a decision.

My preferred definition of "hero" is classical. Sure sometimes you get some noble soul of goodness but more often heroes are just as flawed as you or I but their traits, both good and bad, are larger than life.

Many heroes tend to be both terrible and glorious but all have a cause.

A hero is just a man who knows he is free.

>S H E E P D A W G
nutnfancy please go and stay go.

youtube.com/watch?v=RfHnzYEHAow

To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go

Winning and doing a lot of what caused you to win. Either killing or blowing yourself up.

The non-edgy answer: Being a cool dude that people can rely on to protect them or a dude that just helps people for the sake of helping them.

you are an idiot, and just so you know, what you are sayong is a wishful opinion at best.

>a hero is someone with nothing to lose
Nah, if someones dad goes into a buildig, risking his life and possibly leaving his wife/children alone because he wanted to be "heroic", he is just an idiot.

What is the best kind of hero and why is the tragic hero?
Something about a guy who goes all lenghts, including giving up his own life for the sake of the others really sends chivers in my spine

It isn't about beating the bad guy, and it isn't about being the good guy. Not about fame, or fortune, or even trying to get the girl. It's about standing up for what you believe in, and regardless of whether or not you have the power to fully achieve it in reality, it is the attempt that matters the most. That's what a hero is, someone who does things others would think twice about. Someone who is willing to wager his very life in times of need, even if he knows it is futile.

"A guy has to try, you know?"

Giving yourself up for the good of all.

Thinning your paints.

A hero is someone who decides to do the impossible good and finds a way to succeed.

Sacrificing yourself for the sake of your friends, some you may have only met that day.

A shame he became a self righteous later.

100$ cold, hard, cash.

Self-sacrifice

4 cmc

2/2

no keywords

awesome flavor text

A hero is a person willing to sacrifice themselves to save everyone and anyone, even the villain
A hero is a person who faces danger head on, not because they are fearless, but are instead afraid of said danger, though does it any away, for no one else with do it.
A hero is a person willing to fight for and protect everyone, even those they hate

a real human bean

I agree, to me the definition of a Hero is close to Hector.

A hero is the individual who awakens others suppressed individualism. He is the fool, the saint, the martyr, the hermit, the sage and the one warrior who defeats egoism.

An hero is someone who would sacrifice himself to protect those in need.

That is the essence of being a hero: self-sacrifice. Not absence of fear, but willfully ignoring that fear in order to do what is right, whatever the cost may be.

A powerful and respected warrior who only fights for himself is no hero.
An old farmer charging blindly against those who would harm his family is.

A hero is someone whose body moves to help others before they even understand whats going on or what they're doing.

because its accurate to life, you can try your damn hardest, have the best intentions and still fail

A hero, not an hero.

>The sheep
Stopped reading there

A hero... is just a man... who knows he is free.

I'll just leave this here.

>That one time he didn't have a goofy smile plastered on his face
Hype as fuck, you knew shit was going down.

When this guy says so.

Getting told in stories.

Isn't getting told generally seen as disreputable thing?

Spotted Fatty McNogunz.

Name one reputable figure you haven't heard of.

someone who takes the better, more difficult path
someone who must be better than everyone else
someone who must be held to a higher standard
someone who never does "what is necessary" but rather "what is right"
someone who never compromises, not in the face of Armageddon

Where? How?

I've got two words of advice for ya, kid.

FUCK YOU

>What makes a true hero?

Going on extremely difficult and selfish quests to make yourself stronger and more dominant.

A champion who also happens to be morally justified. Remember that every faction's champion is their own hero, what determines who the real hero is depends on which of the many sub-heroes is the one who's in the right.

Figuring out what "in the right" means is the real question and by far the more difficult one.

Worthless.

Best answer

Its not that difficult, a false Hero worships himself, Achilles.
A true Hero protects his family and city. Hector.

Ego is the problem. Morality is a by product.

>An hero is someone who would sacrifice himself to protect those in need
Wrong. An hero is when you commit suicide.

>A powerful and respected warrior who only fights for himself is no hero
Wrong

>An old farmer charging blindly against those who would harm his family is
??? This guy is fighting for himself. It's HIS family, HIS blood he is defending.

>Hector is one of the Nine Worthies
>Achilles is not
Medieval man truly had great taste

What is it about protecting his family that makes Hector right? Plenty of murderers, thugs, and dictators protect their families, does this attribute make them right?

Note I'm not disagreeing with you, just inquiring.

because protecting others and placing ones needs after those of other people is the noble thing to do- selflessness is a virtue

because to protect ones family is a duty- loyalty is a virtue

Don't talk about your wife's son that way.

It's because the average user on Veeky Forums can't hope for any more of himself and needs the title to be reachable to feel like he's adequate.

Ironically, a hero is not something you can aspire to be while feeling adequate.

So, adversity?

Hector didn't protect anyone. If he wanted to be a hero he would have thrown Helen out to the Greeks at the start of the war. It would have saved countless lives. He fought for pussy and he died for pussy. And it wasn't even his pussy! He got what he deserved.

Spoken like a true peasant.

Hector is selfless in his protection of himself his culture and his family and never seeks any attention or fame in the Iliad. Whenever he speaks he is human to the core and humble, he is the definition of a Individual who will be nailed to the cross by the actions of egotistical tyrants, warmongers, blind sheep and a confused rage induced egomanic like Achilles.
His defiant death is so strong and and the defilement of his body so corrupt that when his fathers pleads for a decent burial he awakens mercy and compassion in his enemies. therefore awakening their own individualism and "soul".

Simple shit like when Hectors son starts crying because he finds his father face obscured the helm scary, and he slowly removes it and embraces his son to stop crying, he know she is mmost likely facing doom, but comforts his family.

The Iliad sends shivers down my spine and the more I grow the more I see it as the backbone of the West.

>Hector steps outside of the gates of Troy, confronting Achilles
>"Look guys, we clearly got off on the wrong foot. This is all about pussy, right? Well, the guys and I talked things over and we've built Helen and some other hot broads into our city walls. It's kind of like a glory hole but with pussies instead of mouths. So how about we put down our arms and drain our balls like friends?"
>And on that day, the Trojan War ended of peaceful terms. All the Greek and Trojan soldiers took turns fucking Helen of Troy raw, which they kept doing on a daily basis.
>From the next year onward, that day was known as "Fuck Helen of Troy day", the day on which nobody would fuck Helen so she'd have one day every year to rest and regain her strength
>The 9th year, a man named Odysseus misunderstood the whole concept and fucked Helen on "Fuck Helen of Troy day", causing her to die from exhaustion. Everyone had a hearty chuckle about it and the Greeks returned home.

Achilles is a hero.

The Iliad is about in many ways the Wrath of Achilles, and examines though poetry how far it is appropriate to go. Hector stealing armour from the corpse of an enemy? All good. Pulling out the tendons of your enemy and dragging him behind your chariot? Probably not.