Spectre Miniatures / Spectre Operations

I've seen a few people in the past mention Spectre Miniatures (the figures) and Spectre Operations (the rule system) so I figured I could give a brief rundown of them and answer some questions.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U1mlCPMYtPk
dropbox.com/s/ascu51oyml953i3/Spectre-Rules-v1.0.pdf?dl=0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Regarding the minis, I think they're great. They're metal and I know some people dislike that; however, I'm not among that group. Prices are unrelated to point values so x2 terrorists with AKs cost the same as x2 fully kitted operators with ARs, grenades, flashbangs, etc.

The models currently available are extremely realistic and all are modern. The recently released UKSF line were based around footage and photos of SAS and CT units active in the UK during the various terrorist attacks which occurred there this year.

The models are realistically proportioned so no oversized heads and guns which is a nice change from what Empress/Eureka turn out in my opinion.

The minis and rulebook are currently only available online via spectreminiatures.com which is based in the UK. US shipping is reasonable so this hasn't been a turn off for me. Shipping times have been as short as 12 days and as long as 28 for me out west.

Finally, they're 28mm so you can use them for a variety of wargames.

Regarding the rules. Spectre Operations rules are currently only available through physical copy on their website. No pdf. Their beta version known as v1.0 of the rules can be found online however the overhauls to the system between v1.0 and the final release are extensive. v1.0 is approximately 1/3 of the final system and is really complete garbage. You can immediately tell someone is using this system when they post about it online because no morale/suppression system is in effect so you get hajjis absolutely curb stomping Delta Force due to sheer volume of fire. Check out the v1.0 pdf if you want to get a rough idea of the system but I can't recommend playing v1.0, it's an undeveloped system.

The rules are tailored to the modern era but could easily be applied to any conflict wherein suppressing fire, fire and maneuver, overwatch, etc take place.

Units and equipment have point values but the best way to play is for fun. A 4-man SWAT team versus a 4-man Bank Robbery Crew with completely equal point value will be just as engaging as a 10 Delta Force element with K9 versus 40 Terrorists. The game really excels when you give your sides objectives ie the criminals need to get a money bag off board or the Delta Force team must survive 10 rounds until their extraction arrives and the terrorists get endless respawns. Asymmetrical or conventional warfare are fully realized. Off table assets in the form of mortars, artillery, gunships, and drones are available. Rules cover VBIEDs, minefields, and suicide belts or vests. Vehicles can range from motorbikes to main battle tanks. There's a lot covered.

The gameplay is turn based and focused on skirmish.

Each turn initiative is determined which decides which side goes first. It can also be ruled that one side begins with the initiative at the start of a given scenario. Whatever the players feel is most authentic to what is occurring in game.

Once initiative is determined the rest of the turn is conducted in a you-go-I-go fashion. The player with initiative attempts any command actions which could range from directing his unit's fire to calling for a drone strike. This is followed by the player without initiative or the player with the next lower initiative score if playing a game with greater than two players declaring their command actions.

After the command actions are completed the player with initiative moves his desired units followed by the opposing player. Some combat can occur in this phase if a unit is in Overwatch. The rules explain this clearly and it's well executed.

After movement is complete combat occurs. The side with initiative fires its desired weapons at whatever units they wish so long as they can see them. Weapons have range intervals which are based around realistic modern ballistics i.e. bullets go far and can be quite accurate for a significant distance in terms of the average tabletop wargame. Every single shot that is fired awards a point of suppression to the unit being targeted. This suppression acts as a negative modifier to that unit's actions to reflect the pucker factor a combatant might feel at having a bullet snap by them. If a unit is killed any remaining suppression is dispersed to neighboring units to reflect the startling effect of a violent death in war occurring in close proximity. Once the player with initiative has finished his combat actions, suppression has been assigned to the opposing player, and casualties assessed it is now the opposing player's turn to engage. Once this is complete the turn ends.

The next turn begins the same, however...

...each sides total remaining suppression is factored in to the initiative roll. Apart from that everything continues as before.

All in all the models are absolutely fantastic and the rules are great.

Slow day for sales bud?

Fuck off Shill.

This cools pretty cool, I can imagine having fun doing some Counter-Strike or Pay Day type scenarios.

Got the finished rulebook?

/hwg/ and /awg/ are here for a reason user.

Sorry, just trying to talk about a relatively new skirmish game.

Yep.

I dislike generals.

It's a shame that Veeky Forums reacts like this to folks that are passionate about their systems.

The whole board is people enthusing about the things they like, and with systems this small there is no way to build a community other than something like this.
No-one outside /awg/ reads /awg/, that's not a useful suggestion.

Not OP, the the record.

There is enthusing about their favorite system, but this feels way too much like one sided, "everything is amazing" marketing, even if it's not.

It just turns people off in an age of paid shills and subtle adverts. Again, even if this is not.

And this does come across totally as an advert, else it would have been in /hwg/ or at least posted a pdf or something.

There's really not a lot to complain about. I like the minis. They're metal so sometimes you have one-two with a broken off gun in an order but I've just contacted Spectre and they send a new one with no questions asked.

The rules are solid, there's nothing to complain about.

There's no pdf of the current system, I could post a pdf of the v1.0 but as I mentioned it really was undeveloped and is missing most of what's in the current system.

I could cut up my rulebook, scan the pages, and make a pdf but I'm not going to do that.

Can I make an ISIS warband with technicals and all that? I kind of wanted to make a couple of crews for some Syrian Civil War scenarios, with regime forces on the other side.

i dont see why not

>I dislike generals
You'd probably find them a lot more amenable than random anons who'll just accuse of shilling

Problem with containment thread is that people won't see nrw system unless they are specifically looking for one.
Atleast picture of force selection?
Honestly without a pdf to look at this discussion eill be dead.
Technical can be taken and masses are possible.

Never heard of the system. Sounds neat, thanks!

>still none posted
youtube.com/watch?v=U1mlCPMYtPk

You can make whatever force you want. I use toy trucks from the dollar store for either my SF or hajjis to roll around in. I know other people who have Spetsnaz units with BTRs. You can make whatever force you want.

You can select and field whatever force you'd like to make whatever scenario you want. The range of models are extensive and you wouldn't necessarily be restricted to the Spectre line either. Plenty of people are running this using Empress, Eureka, etc.

I've attached the v1.0 rulebook to give you an idea of the final product.

Here's a rundown of things which have been changed from v1.0 to the final release.
>Tiers have been expanded and fleshed out
>No Close Combat Phase
>Command Actions have been expanded and fleshed out
>Breaching has been modified
>Occupying Buildings as a special mechanic is out
>Barricading as a special mechanic is out
>Suppression mechanic has received massive overhaul
>Storming a Building as a special mechanic is out
>Additional weapons rules have been added and some have been changed and removed
>Same as above for equipment
>Same as above for vehicles
>Force Selection has been completely overhauled and emphasis is heavy on being laissez-faire and playing games which are fun and entertaining while giving little heed to balance
>Command Assets have been renamed Off Table Assets and have received modifications

This was apparently originally shared on their site a while back. I found it on Reddit however.

dropbox.com/s/ascu51oyml953i3/Spectre-Rules-v1.0.pdf?dl=0

I'm not trying to sound like an ass here, but the guns on all these models look utterly boring.
I realize realism is probably part of the appeal, but they all look like they're carrying sticks at that scale.

Your point is honest and valid, but they seem really dangerous to a /k/unt; it's easy to see from a silhouette that someone is armed and walking, and you instantly categorize him as a threat, uniformed or not.
Real-life guns and stuff is honestly boring compared to sci-fi and fantasy, especially medieval fantasy where if a guy has a thinnish long blade that's kinda inconspicuous he's very well armed and ready to fuck shit up.
Fantasy guns and blades are oversized, but cool and noticable; but that taste is very valid, especially in wargames where the models have to be cool.

Realism's really well done here, and their poses are amazing and easily distinguishable as threatening.

Ive looked into it before, and the models look neat, but it's 2017 and they expect you to buy into it without any sort of quick start rules or the like, so it's a pass for me. I've got too many other games I'm trying to support.

Honestly surprised nobody hasnt just scanned it yet

>I realize realism is probably part of the appeal, but they all look like they're carrying sticks at that scale.

There is much merit to the idea that "heroic" proportions are well suited to gaming, as the models are easier to identify from across the table. However, for up close skirmish action it is nice to have the option to buy realistically scaled models.

I wasn't too interested till he mentioned bank robbery

>Suppression mechanic has received massive overhaul

how does this work now? I'm working on my own system and this is something I struggle with figuring out how to do.

Previously it was just based on times you were shot at so if you've got 10 goat herders with AKs firing 1 shot each and they're evenly distributing their fire among 2 Delta Operators each of those Operators is going to take 5 points of Suppression. Suppression effects that units ability to move, shoot, etc creating a pinned down effect.

The biggest part of the overhaul reflected that your Delta Operator is significantly better trained and experienced than those Goat Herders. So now lets change the scenario: 10 Goat Herders with AKs firing double taps at 1 Delta Operator. The Delta Operator can only be Suppressed to a maximum value of 2 so provided he survives such a volley due to cover/concealment, distance, or a combination thereof he would only be Suppressed to a value of 2.