Symbaroum - Dark Fantasy RPG

How familiar is Veeky Forums with Symbaroum? It is a dark fantasy setting that revolves around a gigantic forest called Davokar that is inhabited by warlike Elves who kill any trespassers. These Elves metamorphize similar to butterflies as they age and their one purpose is to uphold the Iron Pact which forbids humanity from entering the giant forest.

Within the forest lie the ruins of an ancient civilization which is sought after by treasure seekers and zealots. But the forest itself is against such incursions there are sections where reality itself is warped. The forest is ringed by various barbarian tribes who fear and worship it and are led by witches.

A kingdom also exists which was newly established by refugees escaping a blighted landscape across the mountains.

There are also goblins, ogres and trolls. Each of which are markedly different from the standard archetypes.

What’s special about it? That sounds like a pretty uninspired generic fantasy setting. How is it “dark”?

Think of the forest, Davokar, the backdrop of the setting as a manifestation of hell. To quote the official text:
>There are tales of seas of thorns, petrified forests, pools of syrupy black water and rivers of magma. Even wilder legends tell of icy cold in the middle of summer

And in a way it is basically a medieval Stalker where the Zone is replaced with a cursed forest.

>Ambria as a kingdom has only existed for 22 years at the outset of the game. There are ruins of previous peoples scattered around the landscape, but there are no old castles or towns where people have lived for generations.

Symbaroum has incredible art. The lore surrounding it is also captivating.
And the elves. I despise elves, but not these ones. Like a union of insects and fairies.

Dark pagan fantasy done right.

Elaborate on the elves and setting, user

OP summed them up nicely. They start off as wee pixies but 'evolve' into elves, each named after the four seasons with a final ancient stage at the end of the cycle.

Spring > Summer > Autumn > Winter > Eternity

Goblins have a similar evolutionary process, cocooning themselves, eventually forming into either trolls or ogres.

The Dwarves are also strange.

This sounds like a really limited concept. Why should I play this game instead of another that can handle that concept, and many more besides?

Because of how fleshed out the setting is. There is the human kingdom, Ambria, which has its own cities, settlements and noble houses. In fact a couple of adventure packs don't even venture outside of this area.

Then there are the varied barbarian clans whose relations with the kingdom vary from hostile to allied. They have their own beliefs and culture.

And then there is the forest Davokar as the third faction that looms over the other two. It consists of the Elves in addition to other ancient beings that keep watch over it.

There are a whole bunch of races as well, from the civilzed Ambrians, the Barbarians, Changelings, Elves, Goblins, Dwarves, Trolls and Ogres. And none of these are typical.

And the setting doesn't revolve around the forest either, there are witches and witch hunters, military factions, mage circles, the inquisition that hunts for corruption emanating from Davokar.

Sounds like fun.

Symbaroum is a system that breaks from several of the D&D sacred cows mechanically. Notable, there are no classes and you instead purchase abilities ad hoc in three different tiers. It also, as I've mentioned, shifts one's defense from a passive threshold the DM must beat in order to hurt you. Instead, it is rolled in the same way one might an attack (roll to see if you defend, and if not, how much damage your armor absorbs).

It also makes spellcasting an inherently dangerous and limited thing; knowing magic nets you "Corruption", and the simple act of casting nets you temporary "Corruption". Get too much of this at once and you turn into a slavering abomination fit only for a quick death. Though dedicated spellcasters have means to ablate the corruptive effects of their magic, it never goes away. Magic is never safe, magic is never kind.

The setting comes in two parts; the burgeoning Ambrian kingdom made up of humans fleeing a previous homeland which is now an undead inhospitable wasteland, and the massive forest of Davokar which is most aptly described as "magical Chernobyl populated by super violent elves and super violent barbarians and a bunch of shit that will just fuck your whole day up". The Ambrian kingdom often sends expeditions into Davokar because, as dangerous as it is, you can find amazing treasures from the ruins of the old Symbaroum Empire.

The mechanics for corruption are a large part of it, as is the permanence of death. And while magic leads to power, it takes a toll on the soul.

Everything else is kind of just horrible to some degree, either highly or just abstractly. The whole Ambrian Empire is doing evil shit and trying to edge in on and plunder a forest full of corruption that they don't understand, and it's getting a whole lot of unwary or otherwise innocent people killed, while the barbarian clans aren't themselves of great reputation because they take slaves and kill without mercy.

Still, even then there's room to navigate and appeal to greater understandings and knowledge and good, even at a price, which I think solidly places it in Dark Fantasy and keeps it out of Grimdark territory, where absolutely everything is irredeemable forever.

After a war with the "Dark Lords" (necromancers) (yes, that's all we know of them from the main book) the land of Alberethor was all but ravaged, so the queen (pictured in the OP's image) moved her queendom to the north, south of the Davokar forest, and named it Ambria.

While doing so she destroyed/subjugated some barabarian tribes and used slaves and the very poor to build her capital. She's intent in increasing her country's wealth and lands by exploiting the gigantic forest. But the barbarians and the elves do not like that one bit. The elves specifically point out an "Iron Pact" signed by humans never to set foot in the heart of the forest. Other factions will be playing this political game like the church of the sun god Prios (the One diety), the Templars, the Ordo Magica (rationalist wizards) and most importantly, the Davokar Forest wandering PCs.

So I'm reading the PDF file right now and I've got to say it suffers from that weird issue where the text resizes itself based on the magnification and breaks the font at higher resolutions making it difficult to read.

I have played one campaign of it. The campaign wasn't that fun but the system itself was pretty interesting.

gee I dunno OP, I would like to comment on the system but I don't have a PDF of the game...

The books look gorgeous, the setting is amazing, but i'm not totally sold on the mechanics, but would still like to give it a go sometime.

My only real annoyance is the fact that Jarnringen has tied most of the secrets and mysteries of the setting in the "Throne of Thorns" campaing thing - which is going to be 7 books long, and it seems like we are getting one part per year, so that's another 5 years to go before the GMs actually get all the setting and background info.

Other than Copper Crown 1-3 and Throne of Thorns, are there any other supplements out there?

The 2 adventure packs and the advanced player's handbook - then some smaller pdfs like the semi-joke one with the duck characters Might be some other stuff too, but those are the ones i know.

Heard about this from Drunkens & Dragons, has been lower on my RPG to-get list. I need Torchbearer and Mouse Guard, and various DTRPG indies first.

>Torchbearer
What's this?

Burning Wheels system for dungeoneering. Basically measuring the status of the party and loot run itself rather than each PC. Common OSR-style hard knocks as expected.