L5R / Legend of the Five Rings General

L5R / Legend of the Five Rings General

Mantis is best Clan Edition

>USEFUL RESOURCES & LINKS FOR THE RPG (OLD AND NEW)

Rulebooks:
ME GA[New Zeland]/#F!EuB3yRRI!FjYeEU2FdqzIZ6cM1dKoHA

The FF Beta:
images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/dc/2f/dc2f92bb-bfd2-4f12-99eb-1d084491de65/l5r00_beta_rulebook.pdf

Latest Beta Update:
images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/99/6e/996e894d-b3d4-44e8-810e-d1824b82fd18/l5r00_beta_updates_v20.pdf

>USEFUL RESOURCES & LINKS FOR THE FF LCG

Tabletop Simulator Mod - steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1099785017

Ringteki (Browser based game client) - mahois.fun/

Card Database / Deck Builder - fiveringsdb.com/

TTS Deck Converter - infamous-irc.com/dengeki/l5r-deck-generator/

>Veeky Forums L5R Discord
discord.gg/CJfVQ7B

>Clan Allegiances
www.strawpoll.me/14339259

This Paste: pastebin.com/0JF6Acgv

Other urls found in this thread:

kazenoshiro.com/kazenoshiro/6/h6e05p75a.php
l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Goju_Kyoden
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Mantis is best Clan Edition
>not Iron Chef Rokugan edition

You bake next time then.

Gnite guys I got a tournament in 7 hours. Wish me luck.

No

Imperial summons at my LGS today. Should I stick with Unicorn and inevitably lose all day but get a full art promo or iust switch clans for today?

Loyalty is it own reward

Pain is temporary, glory is eternal.

The inevitability depends on how well you play, two events I participated in had someone with a different main playing Unicorn just for the heck of it. One got beaten all day while the other, someone I haven't defeated yet in three different tournaments despite doing reasonably well overall, went 3-1. He ran a pretty focused Unicorn/Lion deck with some controversial cards like Way of the Unicorn completely cut.

One advantage you may have is that Unicorn cards and tricks are the least well known among everything in core.

Don't listen to the others. Strength and Determination are true virtues of the samurai. Cowards speak of duty and loyalty to excuse their weakness, but what is more honourable than victory?

I see you are a new l5r player. Victory is nothing. It is easy to serv a victorious daimyo, or a daimyo that treats you well. True honor is when you serv loyaly durning hard times and your lord is treating you bad. And true honor gives you immortality in tale and song.

Only the weak would serve a weak lord. If one can not see to the prosperity of his clan and lands, better it be ruled by one more able. What need has a samurai for immortality in tale and song? He should seek victory.

Why can't Crab have nice things?

Threadly reminder that the RPG is an open play test that’s being revised and updated weekly based on player feedback.

This isn’t a Paizo “playtest” where all feedback is discarded and the “playtest” is just a preview of an already finished product.

Man, I hope every Spider is this edgy so I don't have to worry about feeling bad when I zone their voices out.

You don't need to be spider to follow Shourido (but it helps).

Neither Spider nor Shourido exist anymore, so don't even pay them any mind.

I still need more awesome waifu pictures. There weren't a lot in the previous thread.

yet

HA, no. It's not happening spiderfag. Even FFG isn't retarded enough to bring back the very thing that put L5R into the death spiral they saved it from.

This. I'm a nu5r player and I can see how fucking bad spider are for L5R.

Yoritomo got name dropped in the very first story. Daigotsu, or who he would've been, just made an appearance, and is overly nefarious. FFG LCGs are known for introducing new factions into the game, as is the older L5R. Despite some people hating them, Mantis and Spider were iconic.

If you're expecting for there to not be any new factions in the game, because you personally hate them from a story that isn't even cannon anymore, get ready to be hurt. They're coming, and it's obvious.

Mantis was, Spider was not.

I'm sorry you didn't like spider, that doesn't mean there wasn't lots of other people who didn't, nor does that mean it wasn't a huge and recognizable part of the game.

Mantis were iconic, Spider were not. Spider were a huge marketing mistake and AEG even knew it.

Daigotsu's been around forever and has been a thing LOOOOOONG before anyone had even considered the concepts that lead to the idea of the Spider as a faction, so him getting name dropped means jack fucking squat in that regard and thinking it means they're making a comeback just shows how little you know about the setting.

No one but a small minority of dumb kids and edgelords liked the Spider in the long run, and their early fans came to hate them because of how bad AEG handled everything around them. Shadowlands players hated them because it killed their faction and everything they liked about their faction. Players were leaving the game in droves towards the end of OldL5R, and it all started with the Spider getting made a great clan. They were a massive mistake, AEG knew it, the Story Team knew it, and FFG knew it.

This isn't about me liking or not liking any given faction, it's about FFG not being stupid enough to repeat AEG's mistakes and not doing the thing that made it so easy to buy out the property that AEG knew was dying.

Give me one good reason, a single good reason, that justifies Spider coming back, at all.

They add nothing to the story, only take away.
Their players are about as toxic as the clan itself.
They ultimately provide a no-fun, Anti-L5R environment.

They can fuck off.

justify? I can't. But FFG will still bring them back regardless.

I liked the spider.

As a group of lost samurai in the shadowlands who deliberately mocked the tradition of Rokugan. Or even as a bunch of evil monks who organised attacks on villages and then rode to the rescue to win the peasants support. Or made up evil bushido to try and undermine rokugani society.

Them becoming an actual part of Rokugan however was retarded.

>Minor clan with delusions of grandeur
>Best clan

One and only one.

>But FFG will still bring them back regardless.
No, they won't.

>Nobody but people I didn't agree with liked Spider
Well there you go man, you just admitted people liked them.

AEG made a huge number of big mistakes. Blaming it all, or even a notable portion on the Spider clan, is being completely ignorant of their plethora of terrible choices. AEG also made huge sweeping changes near the end of the game without batting an eye if Spider clan was really the "downfall" of L5R, they would've killed them, as they have done easily to other factions. No, the death of L5R had little to nothing at all to do with Spider's existence.

Fundamentally changing the entire mechanics of the game, and often, will always have a much larger effect on the game, no matter how much you hate a particular faction.

There's literally everything pointing towards them making more factions, hints, history, publisher's record of making new factions, and the only thing against it is some people saying they hated them. It's really not an argument at all. They're coming, I'm sorry you personally don't like it.

Like, maybe, but there's no way they bring back the spider in how they were during old5r. They MIGHT call the shadowlands faction, whenever they get around to making them, the spider clan, but that'll be in name only.

You are seriously delusional and it's hilarious.

>They MIGHT call the shadowlands faction, whenever they get around to making them, the spider clan, but that'll be in name only.
This.

If the "Spider" do come back it's going to be as the name for the Shadowlands/Lost faction. There's no way they're becoming a GC again.

Mate, they could make the fucking Pelican clan, and I'd be totally cool with it.

Make their niche that their flamboyant kabuki samurai, and I'll be totally cool with it.

They could be release for a single set, but unplayable, and I'll be totally cool with it.

Bring back the Spider and I guarantee there will be a large amount of the player base leaving L5R. That's the last thing FFG wants for their new baby.

All of your reasons are bad highly biased opinions. People liked what they added to the story. Your anecdotal experience with some people who liked spider doesn't remotely make all Spider fans "toxic". Right now, you're being toxic to them. You think it's no fun, all their fans don't. I've given my reasons they're bringing them back. Old5r was known for introducing new factions. As is FFG. Both Mantis and Spider have been given name drops in the story in places they were absolutely not essential to. They're also both iconic, despite how much you personally hate them.

Be unplayable*

Unicorn waifus are laifus.

>People liked what they added to the story.
HAHAH, nooooo, no they really didn't. Even fucking Spider players hated what the story team did with them.

Can't really guarantee that. Some people whining about it isn't really much of anything at all.

IDK what to tell you man, you're factually wrong. People did indeed like the spider clan. Thinking otherwise is willfully accepting you're completely biased and not remotely attempting to objectify.

>Spider have been given name drops in the story in places they were absolutely not essential to.
No, they weren't. Daigotsu has a villain way before the Spider ever existed you mong.

>They're also both iconic, despite how much you personally hate them.
The Spider were iconic, yes, but not for the reasons you think they are. The things they were iconic for were:
Killing L5R.
Being a terrible idea.
Driving away more than half the player base.
Their characters all being a bunch of shitty Gary and Mary Sues.
Ruining everything people liked about the setting.
And:
Setting into motion all the worst parts of late L5R's terrible, terrible plot.

>Some people whining about it isn't really much of anything at all.
>A good portion of my local meta saying they were shit
>A good portion of the Australian playerbase saying that they were shit

Saying "No, you're wrong!" is the pitfall of any argument user.

>As a group of lost samurai in the shadowlands who deliberately mocked the tradition of Rokugan.
City of the Lost and Wall of Bones were pretty cool.

>No, they weren't. Daigotsu has a villain way before the Spider ever existed you mong.

That doesn't remotely unmarry him from the context. He also made the Spider Clan, if you'll recall.

Spider are not remotely responsible for killing L5R. You're not actually being critical of AEG if you honestly think that.

You thought they were a terrible idea, other people didn't, that's not a reason.

Some people didn't like Spider, other people did. That doesn't mean it exclusively drove people away from the game when there were so many larger problems with the game. You're highly overinflating some people's hate for this faction.

And Yoritomo isn't a mary sue? People love the fuck out of Mantis. Not a reason.

You didn't like their changing to the setting and parts of the plot, other people did. Not a reason.

>But MY anecdotal experience was really important
Not really.

Seconding Unicorn.

Ok

So, if two people are being morons who refuse to step away from a shitposting war in the middle of a thread, to the point that I assume it's one idiot samefagging, is that poe's law or the horseshoe effect? I forget.

>wahh somebody arguing on Veeky Forums

I'd say it's moreso that the spiderfag is being stubborn.
Everyone else is just fueling his sperg out.
0 irony or parody.

If it gets this much reaction every time it's brought up, why don't you think it's multiple people just trying to get a raise?

You know women that ride horses have almost zero feeling left in their vaginas. Might as well be throwing a hot dog down a hallway.

Source?

Find that useful to fuck swarms

His ass.

Riding horseback has a risk of tearing the hymen before losing virginity.
The pussy may be a little more padded like a cameltoe because of the vigorous movements on horse back - but that doesn't mean loss in sensitivity.

That's about it.

New to L5R, how would i run a session, especially if they are from different clans?

Seeing as though we were talking about marriages last thread and I missed the boat to ask this question, I was hoping to get somethings cleared up.

My group is playing 4e set in the nu5Rverse, the GM's pretty lax and has a very lenient "for the players" attitude. I'm RPing a Unicorn Bushi character whose Father was an Ide and Mother was a Moto, is it normal for a Rokugani person to take a doublebarrel / conjoined name? (Ide-Moto is what I have as my character's name right now). My DM said this was fine, but in other groups what would the consensus be?

Also, if he were to be in a "Cross Clan" marriage (to a Scorpion Courtier) would there be a toss up in how children are raised, what lands belong to which clan and other inheritances? Would it even be possible given that the clans are so different in terms of ideals/cultures?

Marriages mean the lower status dpousr joins the Family of the higher status spouse, and the kids are born into that Family. A double name would be unheard of.

That doesn't mean you sever all ties with your old family and friends, though; those interpersonal connections are thr avenue of influence in both directions that typically prompt marriage in the first place. So if you marry cross-clan, the lower status spouse is no longer in their old train of succession, but the kids will bevraused with some of that cultural influence from the one parent, and it's not uncommon for one of them to be sent to a school from their parent's former clan if the arrangement suits both clans or if the parents both agree and can call in the right favours.

>is it normal for a Rokugani person to take a doublebarrel / conjoined name?

Not even a little bit. Your Rokugan will vary, but canon Rokugan is that people are only in one family, with one name. When people get married, one person (usually lower status) takes the other person's family name and changes loyalties.

>Cross clan stuff

Cross clan marriages happen all the time between every clan for political reasons. They work the same way. One person joins the other family, all of the children are in that family. Any potential inheritance issues get negotiated as part of the marriage.

An interesting Old5r thing that bends that a little could be the Izaku vassal family, since they were both Dragon and Phoenix at once. But that was a weird and kind of dumb storyline thing that mostly gets ignored and probably shouldn't set precedent.

Emerald Magistrates is the classic way.

Hyphenated family names are not a thing in Rokugan. In fact with Rokugani social mores it would probably be highly offensive to whichever family you would normally belong to AND the family on the other side of the hyphen. Remember Rokugan is a feudal society so familial bonds are also political ones, a hyphenated name implies you have less loyalty to both families. There are socially acceptable ways to show sentiment to another family without insult, for instance a Bushi could wear his family mon over his heart (to hold them close) and wear his school's mon on his right side (to guide his arm).

In most cases of marriage the wife takes the husband's family name. This tradition is circumvented by a technically in that the lower status spouse takes the name of the higher status one. So if the husband was to join the wife's family the clan would select a lower ranked man to marry.

In the case of a Cross Clan marriage, one spouse leaves their old clan completely. If your character married that pretty Scorpion Courtier she'd likely leave the Scorpion and join the Unicorn. By default the children would be raised as Unicorn any lands or possessions you had would still be Unicorn lands and possessions. That said marriage agreements can include training clauses, like someone marrying a Phoenix might have a clause that says that any children born with Shugenja talent go to the Phoenix schools.

Playtest Leaker here.
Since I was outed might as well just dump all I know.

Phoenix box for first Deluxe. recycle spells SH, Dishonor SH that triggers off claiming Air Ring. Enlightenment win condition card the sits in play and gains tokens each time you claim a ring. After 10 rings get claimed you win.

Mantis in 2nt cycle. Keyword only, SH comes later that makes them in faction for you.
Shadowlands/The Lost in the 3rd cycle. Same as Mantis
A Box to flush them out after. Mantis get Ranged attacks that discard people with no fate and no attachments. Shadowlands can't lose or gain honor. The other player gets 1 extra honor each time they reveal.
3rd box is Lion. Honor SH that gives you 3 honor each time you break a Province.

FFG is going to be posting full spoilers of the first cycle after I turn myself in so enjoy.

>FFG is going to be posting full spoilers of the first cycle after I turn myself in so enjoy.

That was nice of you.

File drop?

They contacted me last night after someone dropped my name in the last thread. I had to turn over all my files and delete any copies I made.
Then I will be going into a legal office to sign some paperwork confirming what I did and that I will never be involved in another FFG product or event again.

They are not suing me for breaking the NDA a least. Just means I am not allowed to play at any official event for any of their games ever again.

Look man, don't blame her hobby for your inadequacy

Sorry brosef. Hopefully it all works out.

When did you get outed?

I think it might have been when he got drunk and told people he'd leaked and would leak again.

But, it could've been anything really.

There was a name dropped in the last thread.

When are you turning yourself in?

I wanted to hope they would avoid single clan boxes what a retarded move. I can't wait to have a significantly smaller card pool than other clans for 3 years.

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Until one of those things gets confirmed

>I pretend to be a leader with screenshots and edited discord images

>No one believes me

>After a rampant round of shitposted someone says what I literally did and pretends to be an outed leaker

>Everyone believes him

Baka samurai-san

You need to step up your game. Like FFGInsider.

I hear FFG still hasn't caught him or her!

Veeky Forums fucking equal rights trailblazers over here

>Daigotsu, or who he would've been, just made an appearance, and is overly nefarious.
If he's made an appearance, that doesn't sound like he'll ever be the Daigotsu of old. That would require being taken by bloodspeakers as an infant, bound to an oni, and dropped into Jigoku.

kazenoshiro.com/kazenoshiro/6/h6e05p75a.php

l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Goju_Kyoden

I always found that the dumbest part of his arc. Being bound to an oni and exposed to even a little bit of Jigoku's power should send your soul screaming into its maw and make your body its meat puppet. You shouldn't be able to gain control over something that literally owns your mind, body, and soul.

There is the situation, like with the Imperial Spouse advantage, where your spouse is higher status than you, but not important enough for you to take their name.

>Being bound to an oni and exposed to even a little bit of Jigoku's power should send your soul screaming into its maw and make your body its meat puppet
Because it was Daigotsu, it wasn't the regular oni binding, where the oni gets to chew on your name until you can't handle the taint any more. He got the experimental bloodspeaker stuff.

Bloodspeakers have no control over jigoku either. All they have is the ability to deflect its control if they're careful and a delusion among their lower ranks that what they do isn't maho, and is instead some other kind of magic that the upper class doesn't want anyone to know about.

>Bloodspeakers have no control over jigoku either
Irrelevant. They fused the guy with an oni before he was old enough to walk. Being part oni is what kept him alive in Jigoku. The bloodspeakers only opened the way there and threw him in.

>The Bloodspeakers performed an experimental ritual, used only one time before on Omoni, with unexpected results involving the unquiet spirit of a goblin. The child of Yotsu underwent the ritual, infused with a shred of Nothing, the power that was the Lying Darkness. Hochiahime's child was bound to an oni.

Yeah, and I think that's dumb. Oni are extensions of Jigoku, infused completely with its power. Fusing someone with one should have the same result as completely succumbing to an oni name-mark. It's like saying if you infuse someone with radiation from a little chunk of hot material, they can avoid radiation poisoning from a nuclear reactor. It shouldn't work that way.

Oni aren't capable of defying or controlling jigoku. The half of his soul that was human should have succumbed to the taint like everyone exposed to it does eventually, and the half that was oni shouldn't have ever been able to be anything but lost to the control of Jigoku.

Yeah, but he's super special and unique so he's an exception.

It's almost as if they're writing a new story with familiar faces

Being a member of the imperial line that's probably justified. In any case the easy way to justify it yourself is that Fu Leng kept him sane and relatively whole because he really wanted a corrupted Hantei.

It's entirely like you're echoing the point I was making.

>Oni aren't capable of defying or controlling jigoku
They are able to survive in it.

>half soul this, half soul that
There was no half. There was only the fusion of the two.

>try to fit a goblin sneak into Lion deck because it's cute and shadowlands is cool
>can't because Lion cards are just too damn good to replace
Life's hard as a c@

Thanks guys, good to know that I made a small no-no. Thought the hyphenated name was a good cop out for the Gaijin name, I'll tell the GM that it's pretty taboo.

As for the cross clan marriage, I guess we'll be having another Unicorn at the table.

I know this isn't the place to ask, but I'm looking to learn how to play Lo5R after splurging through the 4e books and the crab-san storytime (in that order, mind), and there's no Gamefinder thread around, so... Does anyone know of any games going on that wouldn't massacre a new player for a single social misstep? If it helps on that front, I'd be planning to play a Crab or Mantis to help people be more prone to saying "They're just a Crab/Mantis" instead of immediately demanding a duel when I sneeze wrong.

Why is the Lion lying on top of the Dragon?

Why is the Crab groping the Unicorn's thighs?

Who's the bland lady dressed in green in the back?

Where are the Scorpion's hands?

Why do none of them look Asian?

What is the Spider even wearing on her legs?

Is the Phoenix's back okay?

Why does the Crane look like she's suffering from brain damage?

it's a bad painting

Q go to bed. The President will need you tomorrow.

>Why is the Crab groping the Unicorn's thighs?
Want's to know them THICC thigh secrets

>Is the Phoenix's back okay?
To ask this, we need to ask if Phoenix is okay. Before we hurt their feelies.

>Why does the Crane look like she's suffering from brain damage?
Because she probably is

>Why do none of them look Asian?
Because Western artists have to use an external, possibly unfamiliar reference. It's why Japs do really good paintings of themselves, and weird pictures of Europeans.

>Bayushi Fuyuko
Maaaan, I'd love to see FFG's take on her. She a good waifu

Crane are inbred, so it checks out.

Perfection.

May all your Spirit Callers and Brawlers get hit with Cloud the Mind the turn they come out.