Make a character

>Make a character
>Have various plans on what to do
>Get really invested
>Character gets killed off early because dice a shit or somesuch

>Make a character
>Not very invested
>Can't really think on how to make the character interesting or fit well with the setting
>Character survives to the end of the campaign

"Wow user, your character is really boring"

Anyone else ever have this problem? You have a character you really like, but they get wrecked, and you just can't muster up the creative willpower to do it again?

And for the record, it's not even caused by taking unnecessary risks, just luck of the dice during an encounter I couldn't have avoided.

This only happened to me once, but I share your pain, OP

>Supervillain game
>Make Sneakerhead
>Has control over shoelaces and vast knowledge of footwear
>gimmick is tying guards shoelaces together and tripping them
>Wears Gigantic Chuck Taylor All Star shaped Mask/Helmet
>Super Hero Rival is Velcro Man
>Second session he dies, takes three wounds and starts to bleed out. Spends 6 Bennies to reroll death save(3 personal, 2 from other player, and one from the GM), can't roll above a 2 on a 1d8 and a 1d6
>Comic Book Revival time
>Literally only thing that kills me is a deuce out of a deck of 52
>Draw a deuce

Then I made a meme Skeleton character and he's survived an alien invasion without getting downed once.

>Sneakerhead
Can I borrow this?

Well we know what to do now, subject ourselves to the hurt box, invest in every character no matter what and come out better for it

Well, there's not much you can do about that, friend. If there's no real risk of your character dying in a game that centers on combat - presuming that your game did - then there's not much fun to be had.

Everyone who has played RPGs for long enough has had this problem, because putting character death on the dice is stupid and has always been.

It's just hard to become creatively invested, and watch a character die before I've even done much with them

I had the opposite problem.
>Make a character for a "Curse of Strahd" campaign.
>Realize too late that he has no reason to be invested in the state of Barovia (aside from being trapped there until Strahd is defeated).
>Try to retire him but the GM tells me that if I do, the character will likely be killed, and I didn't want that to happen so I stuck with him.
>4-5 months of play later, we finally complete the module and move on to a new campaign.
>Find myself not being able to feel invested in campaigns anymore.
>Feel burnt out
>Luckily, I got my drive back after playing a bunch of campaigns with characters that I actually wanted to play.

Sacred cow from OSR. Start at higher levels or (as was originally intended) wait until your character has accomplished something before you become invested in them. Or play a system designed around what you want.

If you write more than a page of backstory you're doing it wrong.
I always have a few ideas I want to try out.

I've had a strange fusion of those feels
>first game ever
>make a character
>not very invested
>can't really think on how to make the character interesting or fit well with the setting
>character never dies in spite of being poorly optimized (3.5 melee ranger with shit stats)
>through various fuck-ups and just surviving manages to grow a personality
>have various plans on what to do
>get really invested
>game gets put on life support due to scheduling conflicts and has the plug pulled when the one game we can get back together for is just planning and all of the tempo was lost
>every game since doesn't last more than three sessions
>can't get invested in character creation anymore

Yes but its because I expect my dumbass DM to kill my character either right away or long enough down the road just when you get really invested in your character. It's not even good ways its always something fucking stupid that none of you will believe anyway.

>Or play a system designed around what you want.
So many threads wouldn't need to be made if more people understood this concept and didn't immediately dismiss it because they already know how to play D&D.

>Anyone else ever have this problem? You have a character you really like, but they get wrecked, and you just can't muster up the creative willpower to do it again?
No.

Ok I'll bite. How was your character killed

With my last major campaign a PC we will call Dan got pissed off at another group of 4 PC's including me (Mind you I am in a large group at a gaming store of 15 people. Bad Idea I know). The DM rolled and the god of death came to Dan and offered a deal to him that the god will kill off these people if he became a follower or something. Dan insulted the god of death so he killed Dan and everyone around him, that means me and my group of 4 people.

Then before that in another campaign gave the group a deck of many things and then went on to abuse the riches they got. Somebody got a ring of wishes and held onto it. 3 months in a PC pissed him off when he was in a position of power and asked to see his sword so he wished everyone but himself dead. And no he was not kicked from the group.

And last time the DM gave me a "hint" by rolling dice before I got a NPC to open a door that was probably going to explode. Not one to metagame I said sure open it and the explosion was huge, instantly killing me then goes on to say "You should pay attention to your DM when he gives hints".

Only reason why I go to that fuckfest cause its the only time I get to see a friend. I never had a fair death once out of 6 characters I played there? Never had any retire. I know if I make a fuss about it the DM will just make it "easy mode" for me. I don't want that, I just don't want to run into bullshit. Just because a few people don't care if their character dies doesn't mean the rest of us are the same.

Theres no good way to do it with this large group. I either get the DM to fudge rolls for me which I don't want or when some BS happens and I am unaffected it wouldn't be fair for the other players. I just dont care anymore to make a fuss about it.

*I have only had a fair death once out of six characters.

>Currently playing a 2D “Roar, smash everything” Half-Orc Fighter
>Was only going to be a 3 hour long one-shot
>Everyone fell in love with their characters and we’re all level 14 right now
>Awesome and tempting as fuck Xanathar’s Guide to Everything is out now
>Nobody wants to restart a game or let me retcon my character
>Mfw

>Can't even create two engaging characters

The issue isn't wanting the GM to fudge rolls for me, I don't mind that. And it's not that I can't create two compelling characters in a row, either.

Most games I've been in have been announced weeks, to even a couple of months before the actually happen. So I'll spend a lot of time working out backstory for this character, directions I'd like to take them, and the whole time I'm discussing it with the GM etc.. In the case of this particular game, it's an Ad Hoc game, so progress has been slow because one player is rarely available.

And then, early on, I die to an arbitrary bad roll. I have a character on 0 HP right now in a D&D game. Not gonna take much to finish me off. And if this character kicks the bucket, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to remain invested. This character represents a couple of months worth of ideas and planning, and I hate that it could all be destroyed because a fucking wild animal got a lucky crit,

ITT: OP whines about how his "special character" got killed and he has to roll another and his GM is a poopyhead for this