Weekend Warcraft Lore General

Warcraft lore and tabletop, as established in the board games, WC3:TFT, vanilla WoW, and now WoW: BfA.

I think WoW ruined the entire WC-lore. Just going to throw it out there.

previous thread

I just beat Warcraft 3 yesterday! Currently working through Frozen Throne.
Why is Arthas SUCH a fuck?
Why is Illidan SUCH a fuck?
Why is Cairne such a fucking bro?

All these questions and more.

Arthas just wants the best bakery and baking goods for his people.
Illidan has been imprisoned by his brother for 10,000 years so anything he does is justified because I doubt the Wardens had any rehabilitation program.

One would think, after 10 000 years in Guantelfamo he'd stop being an edgy autist though.

How much food would each race need in calories to survive each day? Humans are pretty fucking ripped in Azeroth so I'd feel like they'd all eat like the Rock or something.

Sylvanas best

Say somewhere between 1 and a half to double the average humans reccomended amount?

They're both idiots doing stuff to their fullest.

Illidan thinks he has to sacrifice himself and everything just so he can prove he's better than his brother, because destiny proves it.

Arthas just pushed himself into some righteous crusade of vengeance that led to the death of everyone around him and the loss of his soul.

WC2 is the best
Orcish hordes go home

We all know that the current lore is fucked up beyond redemption. However, were there any additions you liked?

Personally, I like the Mogu. Build an Empire that gets shit done after the titans left and their Keeper entered his emo phase, bring the first real non-barbaric civilization to the world, utilize the lesser races for war against Old God spawns and ally with the bro-tier Zandalar for maximum conquest

I unironically liked the draenei and their addition to Azeroth specifically (and I'm a fan of societies based on magic). Pretty much guarantees the survival of the night elves (independent or not of the humans) and all sorts of other geopolitical shenanigans.

Illidan just wants some of the Tryande snatch and he's still salty she picked his brother over him.

The best thing that could be said about the draenei is that they seem to be fairly original. I can't think of that many sci-fi satyr people in fantasy settings, so good job blizz.

>sci-fi
god damn it

>has a thirsty untouched yandere sentinel chasing him to the end of the world
>would rather fuck a stretched out roasty instead
what a faggot

Anyone here tried Warcraft the Roleplaying game?

I kind of want to GM a campaign where everyone is either a Warden or a Watcher and their job is to travel around Azeroth, trying to recapture fleeing prisoners. It could expand into some players being something else and just tagging along for the shit of it. I want the "Warcraft", but not the game if that makes any sense.

They should have just been called Eredar, and the Draenei could have stayed as they were in Frozen Throne. The only reason they were tied together is because Burning Crusade was set on Draenor and they wanted the new races there, and I guess the existing Draenei were too ugly to make a race.

Its D&D 3.5, with adaptations to core classes and prestige classes, cosmology, etc, to better represent the games.

If you think 3.pf is an OK game to play, and you like the Warcraft setting, its a fine series of books. I personally own hard copies of all of them (Warcraft RPG [a sort of 1e] and World of Warcraft RPG [a sort of 2e]) since I am such a colossal faggot for Warcraft. Fun fact, only the core warcraft RPG book has the D&D logo, everything else is published under the swords and sorcery line.

Maybe I should give it a go, why the fuck not.

Can't hurt. Like I said, its basically a 3.5 adaptation, with the warcraft RPG focusing on stuff immediately after TFT in kalimdor, with a splatbook for the eastern kingdoms, the world of warcraft books have more stuff relevant to the vanilla WoW era (IE: night elves in the alliance, forsaken in the horde, paladins made a base class rather than prc etc) and a splatbook covering stuff not in the '1e' eastern kingdoms, so kalimdor, northrend, and south seas. If you can deal with what so many people like to call literally the worst RPG system ever, it effectively just turns into setting specific books for 3.5 ala forgotten realms, ebberon, etc

Alright guys, you're in charge of rewriting the questing experience of Vanilla, BC, Wotlk, Cata, MoP, WoD, and Legion to be up to date with the current time of Battle for Azeroth?

What do you do?

christ,reading through the previous thread,it looks like every single name has been butchered
>lordran
>garathos
>azaroth
jfc

A damn near impossibility.

Probably keep the 1-60 as it is from cata, rework some of the BC and WotLK stuff to be in line with cata events, and as time goes foward, use whole world phasing to keep stuff making sense. Ideally to smooth out the concept of the amazing time traveling worgen death knight.

He had that entire harem of demons and blood elves in BT, you know he was gaping all of them with his BDC on his downtime. He really should get over Tuhronda though.

Kel'Thuzad is the biggest bro and needs mo' love. And lewds

1. In five decades, a Kaldorei faction of Royalists seek to restore the rule of the Crown to the night elves and manage to garner support and install a new Queen with little conflict. This brings about a radical change in the orders of the Kaldorei that require careful integration between the Sentinel Army and Royal Army, between the druids and new arcane orders.

2. In five decades, a Draenei faction of pan-Eredar seek unification with their corrupt brethren of old. With the waning power of the Burning Legion, and of the destruction and defeat of the powers of old (chiefly Sargeras, Kil'jaeden, Archimonde), unification has slowly been realized into a possibility. Combined learnings of the Naaru, its servants of the light, and of the Draenei sorcerers, have been wildly successful in the attempts at renewing the Man'ari to their former selves of their ancient homeworld. Naturally opponents to unification act in fear and call for the banishment of any attempt at summoning and curing any Man'ari. Prophet Velen remains quiet.

3. In five decades, multiple parties representing the ideologies and people of fundamentalism, technocracy, labor, and democracy are at the edge of violent conflict. In the depths of the dwarven halls of Khaz Modan, the Royal Crown suffers as its king, Magni Bronzebeard, is consumed by obsession--the greying dwarf tinkers at the edge of insanity soon after discovering varying artifacts in the old Blackrock caverns. The once popular Explorer's League has been downcast in blame for the affliction of their king, and now new powers emerge at every corner...

4. Forsaken Apothecary Society members, Sylvanas Loyalists, and Forsaken Isolationists walk into a bar and brew green sludge.

5. Thrall's Horde is powerless, alongside its Warchief (similarly to the Alliance). Teachings of old become increasingly popular; not only of war and thunder, but of the old glory of the clans. Frostwolf, Warsong, Dragonmaw. The old clans return to power.

6. After secret negotiations, the Sin'dorei declares independence. Counting with Alliance's logistical and naval support, the insurrectionists install Lor'themar as Lord Protector of Quel'Thalas, together with current ruling council, abolishing for good the former monarchy. Soon, even with the Horde's reinforcements cut by naval blockade, the Forsaken march to crush the rebellion, and skirmishes turn ablaze at the nothern regions of Lordaeron. However, the newborn state doesn't have any wish of association with their 'allies by contract', planning to maintain it's full sovereignty afterwards, through cunning or force.

Was it good?

>I just beat Warcraft 3 yesterday!
Congrats! I'm doing the same on Hard difficulty, and even though I consider myself a seasoned BW player, the micro emphasis in WC3 kicks my ass and I always find myself *extremely* confused in 100/100 battles, because my units and the enemy units mesh into this absolute mess that I can't understand. When a full 100/100 army of the Undead causes your entire army to be caped in Frost Wyrm/Garg/Destro while Aboms are barely visible underneath it, I have real problems. That's why I turtle every mission and only ever attack the AI from a counterattack, after they lost their beefy hero(es), and also I save/load a lot.

Last mission of Human and Orc campaign in RoC are easy, hardest is by far Undead (shit defensive buildings, lack of options, open field that's really hard to deal with), RoC NE on Hard is easier than UD (Mass Archers + DotC for Roar + Malfy spamming Tranq = gg, Archimonde only reached the gate when the timer said 30 seconds)

TFT is hard as balls however, last mission of NE campaign on Hard - difficult even with how op Nagas are. Now I'm on Blood Elf campaign and holy fucking shit I spent 2 hours on the second mission because the enemy UD has TWO fully-working heroes, a fuckton of everything, rebuilds stuff faster than I can kill it *while fighting outside of his base* and my non-Naga units fucking suck. I ended up just bum-rushing his Foodproducing buildings and finishing the AI off with a second wave while his garg/destro/wyrm fleet was baited by my 5 bases because I decided to just all-in.

It's fun, but I don't think I'm doing that great of a job.

Wow, I'm impressed! I'm not very good with RTS games, so I stuck to normal for my first playthrough.
Micro is hard. I liked the campaign missions where it's like a dungeon crawl with a small number of people in your party, but trying to control skeletons during raiding parties gets almost impossible.
I liked having Ctrl+# to set up quick groups, abused that a lot.

TFT is kind of kicking my ass. It feels like there's a lot more multitasking that has to be done, so I'm controlling two or three entirely separate groups at the same time. You also don't really get any introduction into how naga work—they just appear. It's a little frustrating.
I just started on Arthas's campaign, and that first mission where you're trying to take down the human encampments using him, Sylvanas, and Kel'Thuzad feels overwhelmingly complex.
They're fun games, but I can't see myself being much more strategically complex than crushing forces or small warbands.

>I just started on Arthas's campaign, and that first mission where you're trying to take down the human encampments using him, Sylvanas, and Kel'Thuzad feels overwhelmingly complex.

That mission is *ridiculously* hard and everyone hates it for a reason. You need a good plan and be rather fast. Arthas can join KT in his base by running through that human camp that separates the two, if they join forces you should have an easier time. I'd focus on KT first because that's what everyone does.

Set all your unit buildings to preferred Ctrl-# and set them all to have a common rallypoint because you're extremely food-blocked in this mission, and just make sure that whenever some food frees up, you immediately make a new necro/ghoul to replace. You need to basically overwhelm the nearby human settlements with skeletons, and be very aggressive the moment you reach food cap, cuz you can't sit on your toes too long, the attrition will kill ya.

I wanted to eat my teeth on that mission in Normal and now I'm dreading approaching it on Hard, so really, just be patient and methodical.

I could not stop laughing at this bullshit.

Too elaborate for WoW. They need babby tier good vs evil, politics makes their heads explode.

Blizzard hires YOU to be the writer for WoW's storyline. Warcraft 3: TFT has been released and they're discussing World of Warcraft and you're given practically limitless powers over how it will be made.

What do you do? What races, what classes?

I'm a lorelet and these questions have been really getting to me lately.

How was the Scarlet Crusade "corrupted" by demons? Did they just change it's direction to make it more aggressive?
How exactly does the fucking Light work? Can anyone who praises hard enough use it for whatever the fuck they want? We've seen a lot of borderline evil Paladins and Priests just using the light all willy nilly with no consequences, don't the Naruu have any kind of power over what they radiate out or however that works?

Arthas was a spoiled prince who lived his whole life with almost no strife. When shit hits the fan he does his best to be what he imagines the people would want him to be, a righteous weapon to protect them and avenge their fallen.
This plague was some serious fucking business and it's clear that for every second he sat around with his thukb up his ass more people would keep dying.
I love how no-bullshit decisive he was, he plotted a course and stuck to his guns, consequences be damned. That being said, he dug himself into a deep, dark hole and was left with less and less options as he progressed.
By the time he hit Northrend he was basically out of options, limited men and supplies in an unforgiving land meant that any dissent in the ranks would spell the end of his crusade, so he went full madman and gave his men no option but to stick to his guns with him by burning their fleet and completely dicking over the mercs they hired. Dicking them to death, even.
Real dick moves.

>draenei
>sci-fi
Stop this meme. All their "tech" runs on crystal magic, and their "space ship" is basically a Spelljammer. Gnomes are the ones with robots and lasers.

>Why is Arthas SUCH a fuck?

Because being vengeance, madness, possession and then becoming an undead pawn will do that to you
>Why is Illidan SUCH a fuck?

If your brother was the manliest Elf to ever tap the second greatest Night Elf Poon (first being the untouched Warden Maiev) you would be the same way.

>Why is Cairne such a fucking bro?

Because he's a simple loyal fool. His people will make excellent pawns for the filthy horde in the future.

>How exactly does the fucking Light work?
If you believe in yourself and you consider your beliefs to be unsubvertedly just, you can use Light. That's it.
> don't the Naruu have any kind of power over what they radiate out or however that works?
Before Liadrin's Shattered Sun had figured out a more civilized way of attaining enlightenment and paladinhood, the first Blood Elf Paladins used an abducted avatar of Light and literally pillaged the energy of the Light from it.

Let's assume Arthas and Jaina got married early on, with Kul Tiras coming to Lorderaon's aid during the plague would anything have changed?

I view the "spaceship" as I do the Dark Portal--might as well be the same form of technology.
Luckily the structures will never fly again so I won't really have to justify it, unlike all the crap nowadays...

>Capture peace loving God and make him read YOUR bible
>take his power and go on holy crusades
That's metal as fuck.

I tell them to shove their fucking MMORPG where the sun don't shine and instead make Warcraft 4.

The first campaign starts where Sylvanas left off. You play as a silent protagonist Cult of the Damned Necromancer overseeing the Scourging of Alliance forces in Western Plaguelands and Frostwolves of Alterac as your first missions. Then BAM, Sylvanas shows up and wrecks your shit. She gives you the option to serve her or die. You choose to serve. The rest of the campaign is a very arduous process of taking Northrend from the Scourge, with enemies such as Anub'arak, Ymiron and Kel'Thuzad.
Eventually reaching Icecrown, your undead forces encounter the Humans led by Tirion Fordring and Jaina Proudmoore, who have come for the same reason as Sylvanas - to put an end to the Lich King. After a very difficult mission, they finally slay Arthas. The topic of there alway's needing to be a Lich King doesn't come up, they all leave, Sylvanas decides to kill herself. The player character then rofls about how he's now in charge of all Undead, but is silenced by Varimathras who ceases the Forsaken and the Scourge as a unified force, and prepares for his next move.
>Cont.

Kael'thas would have been buttmad, but I'm sure he can find another waifu.

Blizzard neutering this and making Blood Knights the exact same as their Alliance counterparts was honestly disappointing.

>simple loyal fool
Don't want to victim blame, but if he has just stuck to his character and sat down and had a nice chat with Garrosh instead of challenging him to a fight WoD could have been completely avoided.

kael'thas declaring war on Lordaeron because he is an autist and ultimately picking up Frostmourne and dooming his people

>Arthas and Jaina got married
The next day, in Lordaeron's royal chambers...

>Glad you could put a ring on it, Arthas.
>Watch your tone with me, Uther. You might be my superior, but I am still your prince as Menethil.
>As if I could forget. Listen, Arthas, there's something about the wedding that you should know...

>Spelljammer Warcraft
Welp, this is one of my old dreams.

>getting just as planned by a literal prophet and swayed to the good side by the unconditional love of the the light isnt great

I really like how the light won out over the edge.

>6 (SIX) new* races
>Still no Blood Knights
>Still no Blood Mage
>Still no Spellbreakers

Hey glad we got us some fucking Monks and Pandas though, right?

The human campaign opens in the wastes of Outlands where Honor Hold is being overrun by demons deposed by Illidan. The Sons of Lothar, including Turalyon and Alleria who didn't go off to the Army of the Light, order YOU, their captain, through the Dark Portal to notify the Alliance. However, with the forces of Stormwind preoccupied with Northrend, you are only able to rally a small army from Nethergarde. The rest of the campaign revolves around the developments of BC, but rather than make Kael'thas and Illidan just be full villains, the former serving Kil'jaeden, the campaign concludes with Varimathras as the true villain - for with the Scourge under his control, he too invades Outlands to the confusion of Illidan's forces and the Sons of Lothar. There, he free's Magtheridon and begins ushering the demons of Outland into Azeroth, Illidan and Kael'thas are forced to flee and the Sons of Lothar are all but destroyed but make it back to Stormwind. The final mission is a last stand defence of Stormwind to buy time for Jaina and Fordring to make it back - it is succesful, and the story progresses to the next campaign.
>Cont.

Warcraft 3 and beyond was a mistake

>How exactly does the fucking Light work?
>We've seen a lot of borderline evil Paladins and Priests just using the light all willy nilly with no consequences
The Light gives no shits what you use it for, but calling on its powers requires that you absolutely believe in yourself or something greater or both. That devotion needs to be genuine and near fanatical, so religion is a good conduit for it. Also, if you start doubting you or your cause, you hinder your ability to call on the Light. This may cause even more doubt to cloud your mind, thus causing the Light to be ever harder to call upon, causing more doubt.

>Still no Blood Knights
Make a Belf Paladin and pretend you're one.
>Still no Blood Mage
Make a Fire Mage and pretend you're a BM.
>Still no Spellbreakers
Arms Warrior.

You could also get buttflustered at there being no
>Wardens
>weeaboo Blademasters (I AM HERE AND OBEY)
>multiclassing that lets you be like Tyrande a k a weird mix between Hunter/Druid labeled a Priest
>playable Necromancers
>w/e else gives you Wc3 nostalgia
>Pandas
They've been around since WC3, what's the problem?

And note that even Undead can channel Light powers (like Priests), it just hurts like a bitch. There's nothing "wrong" with you, your mind just projects feelings of being ripped apart. Prolonged exposure to Light among the Undead causes you to, for example, retain your sense of smell, which isn't necessarily pleasant when you're decomposed

The things you listed are vastly different from what I want.
I want specialized hate that would be infuriating to both play against and have on your team.
Everything you listed is just roleplay options.
And necromancers should never be playable like Death Knights should have never been added.

I think the only way things for Lordaeron could change would be if the plague was investigated as soon as rumors propped up, rather than Terenas waiting like an idiot until whole villages go missing. This means either a. Terenas abdicates to Arthas when he marries Jaina or b. Terenas believes Medivh and investigates the plague early on, nipping the issue in the bud before it has a chance to grow out of control

The night elf campaign focuses on a hierophant's efforts to investigate the corruption that's befalling the Emerald Dream. Malfurion has gone missing, and Fandral Staghelm is ultimately suspect. Uncovering the influence of the Old Gods, the journey starts with proving Staghelm's guilt and executing him, then moving to a globetrotting adventure with the battle for Silithus and Ahn'Qiraj supported by the Horde, the death of Cho'gall, the Naga's servitude to N'zoth and eventually discovering the awakening of Ygg'saron in the north. As their great plan, the Hour of Twilight, is discovered, it becomes a race against the clock to destroy Deathwing, his Dark Iron and Blackrock underlings, before he unleashes the Cataclysm. And this puts the Night Elf forces in the area of the Eastern Kingdoms to witness as the Burning Legion begins its advance from Outlands to once again resume their crusade.
>Cont.

>I want specialized hate that would be infuriating to both play against and have on your team.
But why?
>And necromancers should never be playable like Death Knights should have never been added.
But why?

To this day I can't understand why Blizzard gave Paladins to the Tauren instead of the Undead.

There's precedence for Undead Paladins with that guy in Naxx and it would add an interesting dynamic to the Forsaken as it would be their version of Warlocks. In most societies, Warlocks are only barely-tolerated because they are useful but are basically forced to stick to the shadows. I could see Forsaken having a similar perspective on their Paladins. There's way more justification for them than that "sun druid" bullshit

Call em the Rusted Hand or something. Be metal as fuck.

Wouldn't they also be in constant agony, IIRC Paladins are actually always filled with the light, unlike Priests.

Would be fucking metal as shit though, as you said.

>why Blizzard gave Paladins to the Tauren
Mechanically wise, Tauren have the best tanking racials and you can consider that when rolling prot.
Lorewise, because Tauren are the least genocidal of the Horde races by far, and so the embodiment of light character works better for them.

I wanted forsaken paladins to be the original lorderonians. An order of unfaltering knights, huddling in dark tavern basements like warlocks do in the alliance still dedicated to restoring their nation and opposing the banshee queen.

>Wouldn't they also be in constant agony, IIRC Paladins are actually always filled with the light, unlike Priests.
>Be Forsaken Paladin
>Your former brothers despise you
>Your new compatriots are your old enemies
>You must either lose your conviction, or continue living in agony
>Despite everything, you hold onto your beliefs and fight through the pain so you can redeem the people who also lost their lives to the Scourge

But nah, Sunwalkers bro!

Finally, the orc campaign begins. An orc shaman of the Warsong clan communes with the warrior ancestor spirits and is spoken to directly by the ghost of GROM HELLSCREAM. GROM HELLSCREAM tells him that the hour of the Horde's greatest glory has come! Now and finally they will selflessly and without ulterior motives of guilt offer to pay the blood debt they owe Azeroth by spilling theirs in its defence. The time has come to RALLY THE HORDE, to lead a warband into the Eastern Kingdoms, and to not only slay the Legion's invasion but to push through the Twisting Nether of Outlands into the domain of Argus itself. After allying with the defenders of Stormwind, the Horde and the Alliance succesfully defeat and slay Magtheridon, then press on into Outlands to deal with Varimathras. While there, Thrall must confront a roided up, evil Garrosh Hellscream, and with the power of shamanism turn Grom's son to the force of good. However, Grom's ghost seems distant and aloof from his son, raising suspicion in the player character's eyes. But there's no time for that! Illidan and Kael'thas return to pledge their forces with the Alliance and the Horde to crush Varimathras, and together the band slay the demon. Argus awaits, and Illidan knows the way. The rest develops as... well basically Legion. But then, they return to Azeroth, and the Night Elves under Malfurion notify them of a horrifying development. Though the Hour of Twilight was ended, Lady Vashj had over this entire time been serving N'Zoth! They have used the leylines in Pandaria to open a collateral portal to Outlands and the twisting nether - the Legion's destruction has also safeguarded the passage of far more malevolent entities to Azeroth! And GROM was a VOICE OF THE OLD GODS ALL ALONG! Now, the invasion of the Void Lords begins.
>Cont.

I'm actually fine with the explanation given. (or what it was anyway.) That the Broken and Lost Ones where mutated by the fel energies unleashed on Draenor when it was lost to the Demons.

And it ends, because a party of 25 hero units consisting of the player and story characters attack the Void Lord Prime or whatever. They kill him, he drops some good loot, and all the people of Azeroth separate into individual nations again.
There, guys, I just solved 13-20 years of story into ONE fucking game.

Kek

I wish there was an updated version of this.

If they'd let me write it from WCI and cherry-pick from later lore as time went on, I could actually get what I wanted.

Wow all this trouble for the campaign. I kinda feel bad now that I always used the cheats.

I came to WC3's hard campaign hot off the heels of SC2's brutal campaign, which I also enjoyed thoroughly (at least the mission/mechanical bits of it; there were many creative missions there) and although SC2 was challenging at times, WC3 is challenging all the goddamn time.

It might be just that I don't really understand WC3 mechanics all that well and I am not sure how to micro them at their most efficient, and also the graphics blend together too much and cause me to not understand wtf am I looking at during large-scale engagements.

Really good campaign, both for RTS connoisseurs and just people wanting a good story with fun mechanics. But for the latter, *definitely* do not go Hard. Hard is Hard as balls.

Micro in WC3 isn't especially difficult. Just remember unit comp is superior to micro quite often, and you can easily wreck units with ones that counter thwm. Wolf riders might suck in a slugfest but using their superior speed and net ability completely negated flyers. Using lightning shield on an enemy back line will fucking delete it.

I just realized she's wearing lipstick.

It's true

>I have no time for games
>But I have time for my makeup

What did the Dark Lady mean by this?

I enjoyed Nagrand. Saurfang and Hellscream Jr. had plenty of potential but it's a shame they killed both of them and wasted their potential

royals often have a household of 1000 servants

>Cata, MoP, WoD,Legion
>Garrosh acts more reasonably. He's initiating his war path because the cataclysm devastated Horde resources.
>There are lines he won't cross.
>Ronin does the Dragonsoul shit instead of Thrall
>Garrosh doesn't mana bomb Theramoore but does razes it because it's an Alliance stronghold
>WoD, we get an Fel Alliance invasion lead by Medivh
>more based Turalyon less edge Illidan

>more based Turalyon less edge Illidan
Do you drop the vorlon Forever War shit and let Turalyon be the missing folk hero instead of the Space Marine?

hmm

So Arthas is /pol/, huh.

no everyone loved Arthas before he came back from Northrend.

You're right. In fact they loved him for a brief moment even after he did. Heh.

Everyone except Uther, who was buttmad over Arthas doing what we all know was objectively correct.

This isn't even me shitposting. Everything we know about the plague tells us he made the right call with Stratholme, even if it was grim. I can understand Jaina's objection to it because she was kind of a carebear back then but Uther really should have known better.

Uther would also have fallen if he'd accepted that reality. His faith in the Light demanded that he find a better way, even if it was impossible. Arthas lost the Light that day because he hated himself for doing the only thing that could be done.

They may be about to die anyway, but as a prince - as a KING - you do not destroy your own people as they beg you for mercy. As a Paladin, doubly so.

Establish a quarantine with Dalaran's help, kill anyone who turns when and ONLY when they turn - that's the kind of idea Jaina and Uther might've come up with given more time. What Arthas did was Necessary, but it was not Just.

Because sometimes, doing the Right Thing does in fact mean accepting a loss. It's not supposed to be easy, and it's not even always supposed to be practical.

>unit comp
Maybe that's what I'm actually struggling with the most, but I dunno. Making "tanky" units doesn't seem to matter as the AI still munches through them if I leave them alone for just a second to take care of something else. If I make Archers to Pierce through the ranks of the massive AI air fleet, I still lose a fuckton of them. I dunno, maybe I just haven't grasped the mechanics and too used to the more "brute force" approach that most RTS games do. I know that the best strategy I could ever figure out for C&C: Tiberian Dawn way back when was to beeline the production buildings because the AI just rebuilt too fast for any slugfest to make sense.

Not true, actually. As of Cata, the Exodar was fully functional and flying above the fully-cleansed Azure/Blood isles. Blizz just forgot.

>Blizz just forgot

That explains far more than even you know, I suspect.

This is one of those things I can't accept paladinfags jumping on their high horse over. I don't see how condemning everyone in their to a brutual, agonizing death by zombie and/or turning into a zombie is better than just going in their and getting it over with. If there were some ambiguity I would agree with you. But everything we know both in and out of universe tells us Arthas's call was not only correct but the most ethical.

Arthas simply just tore the old bandaid off. Uther and Jaina would've left it on forever because they thought the bandaid was still good.

As someone that's been a fan of the series since WC2, bought the Collector's Edition of WoW and was on Day 1, has all of the WC/WoW RPG books and actually ran campaigns with both that and another system, and was basically my guild's resident encyclopedia of lore... Trust me, I'm aware.

So many of Activision's* decisions these days have to be more out of laziness than stupidity. Laziness and greed.

*It's not Blizzard anymore. Every since they got bought out, it's been crumbling. And as much as I personally disliked Metzen as his two self-voiced self-inserts, his departure from the company says a lot. We're in the dark ages where Ion "You Think You Do, But you Don't" Hazzikostas and Dave "I Jack Off to Elf Snuff" Kosak are holding the reins.

Mostly, it has to do with the tenets of the Light. By slaughtering every single man, woman, and child, Arthas was stripping them of their agency and deciding their fate himself. Not all were contaminated and some might have managed to survive, and even if it was just a handful of souls, they deserved their chance.

>his departure from the company says a lot.

I wish he departed before SC2 was made.

>Because sometimes, doing the Right Thing does in fact mean accepting a loss.

Did... did you make that edit specifically to reply to that? I'm impressed.

Yes, excuse the bad cropping.

Obviously

Do only I think Stratholme was completely retarded?
>lets kill everyone
>this will totally prevent them from beig raised as undead