/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Skyrim is 6 years old Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
[UESRPG new link] docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
No waifus or husbandos except Vehk and Vehk
Keep the MK/Lady N related squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Black_Marsh
en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:A_worn_and_weathered_note
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Happy birthday to Skyrim.
Also random lore tidbits: Ordinators torture people by making them swallow an enchanted stone that continually discharges destruction spells, and Sotha Sil has nanobots.

>Vehk and Vehk

Get out of here, MK.

Vehk is drehk

would Bosmer be any good with firearms if they had access to them?

Orsinium did nothing wrong

They’d honestly prefer bows to firearms like how they don’t upgrade to crossbows. Early firearms would rust out in a day in their jungles

>be Bosmer hunting in the woods
>see rabbit
>shoot
>miss
>bullet hits my eighteenth favorite tree
>start hysterically crying

good points
would Bretons like them, then?

Bretons would LOVE flintlock pistol duels

>Pigmer apologist detected

Name one (1) thing Orcs did wrong

ESO doesn’t count because MMOs, as a genre, are complete shit

existed in High Rock

Filthy mongrel half-breeds desu

Hail Gortwog!

t. Gortwog Gro-some-balls
develop a culture of your own before you try pegging someone else's

But orcs don't do anything wrong in ESO.

>What is Orc culture being featured in the urban Orsinium DLC and rural Strongholds in Skyrim?

Really? Neat.

>raping, pillaging, and getting beaten over the head in that order
I didn't know that qualified as a culture but if poo elves do it surely it's correct

I know we’re just having a dumb banter, but Orcs in Skyrim legitimately and explicitly say they just want to be left alone

if they're out of High Rock they're tolerable
if they don't know what they're getting into living in High Rock by this point they deserve it desu

What provinces make up the Empire in 4e? Do we know if Skyrim remains loyal yet?

GUN

>Skyrim is 6 years old Edition
Goddam, and here I thought I was jumping into the present by abandonning a13 years old game for this one.
It's hopeless, I'll always be a man of the past.

Highrock is loyal, Hammerfell Seceded, Morrowind Is now led by House Redoran which mean, no more Empire loyalty, since they turned on their backs when black marsh invaded morrowind during the red year, Black marsh is now led by Commie Hists

Admeri Dominion is still being led by Jyggalag Bitches

i still remember when skyrim first came out, i bought it the day after release and played for thousands of hours on my xbox 360, good old days

>Commie Hists
You mean CommunHists?

Morrowind technically never seceded but they are functionally independent now. They are and they're not.

What the fuck is a "dreamsleeve"?

>Commie Hists
>CommunHists

heh.

The meta-physical location in the dream where "souls" are scrubbed of their "memories" to be recycled in the dream.

>That image
>When you're thane wants you to determine if dragon-human hybrids are possible

wouldn't that just kill a person?

Didn't do anything right either. Way too passive, that's why they got crushed.

>tfw no Bosmer Green Mountain Boys.

Though what would khajiit think of them? Khajiit seem willing to try anything at least once.

Barenziah did nothing wrong

Khajiit does not have opinions.

>Wide open savannahs
>Wide open deserts
Khajiit would be all over firearms, but wouldn’t invent them due to basically being potheads.

People hated Fable inteoducing early firearms like flintlocks, but I think ES could pull it off.

nah I don't wanna see that introduced like that but if it was a very unique dwemer type thing perhaps

>People hated Fable inteoducing early firearms like flintlocks, but I think ES could pull it off.

Well, I think it helps in ES ()
case because as TW's pointed out, Firearms have already been a thing.

Nevermind the Reman space programs, in which case when you think about it it gets increasingly odd that Firearms didn't stick around.

What would you need in Nirn to make a gun? Firesalts seems like they would be a decent and possibly easier substitute than regular gunpowder. Maybe void salts to touch it off with a spark?

From there it's just getting the metallurgy right so it doesn't blow up in your face.

Most guns will probably be just magical bolt accelerators, closer to railguns if anything

I dunno, with the way it seems implied magic is getting weaker in the TES-verse, wouldn't that kind of thing be harder than making a mechanical weapon?

No, it would essentially be an alteration spell, the opposite of parallelization as an example (impart acceleration?).

I think the idea is a bit silly, since it would still need magic to use.

Magic isn't getting weaker, people are getting stagnant and regressive, so they simply don't know/don't pass on strong magic.
Fire burns shit just fine, they have little reason to learn/teach firaga.

or at least a soul gem.

Sheesh, sometimes with how much of those things seem to get used, you'd think the Soul Cairn would basically end up a mirror of Tamriel through sheer population.

Or does it not work that way? Do captured souls eventually move on to the dreamsleeve?

Honestly, this is one big part of the TES setting I DON'T like.

In the effort to make everything super esoteric, it really takes a lot out of worldbuilding since cultures don't change technologically and in many cases, you're right, they just stagnate.

I feel like it's less "magic is canonically weakening" and more Bethesda being rushed/lazy

This is actually something I like about TES. I don't want to see tech advancement in a meaningful sense in TES because I like the universe the way it is. I think adding technological progress would really ruin the way the games play.

It's not about the games nor about the "present" it's about that actual centuries have gone by with people using the same stuff.

Hey, not really lore but I figured you'd be better than tesg.
Is it true in daggerfall you can refuse guild quests with no repercussions? Even with the patches and such?

So I noticed Skyrim added some interesting Khajiit lore like their version of Red Mountain and the Monomyth

So let's assume the whole "every third game is alien" is true and ES VI is set in Elsweyr.

What would you want them to add and/or what would piss you off if they add or retcon something.

What if they only let you play as a khajiit but you can pick any of the furstocks besides the Mane? How would you react/which one would you be

>What if they only let you play as a khajiit
This would piss me off. What if I want to play a pissed off orc who's pissed off because they were a prisoner in a fucking desert jail?

Assuming TES VI is in Elsweyr I'd like more info about the Mane, more snippets about the Lunar Lattice and all that, I'd also like to see the different varieties of Khajiit, but I know Bethesda would be far too lazy to actually implement that.

Nice digits.

I don't think i'd like to PLAY as anyother form of khajiit, but I'd like to see them there.
But it'll never happen

indeed, technological and cultural stagnation is the fucking bane of all fantasy writing. Fuck anyone who thinks it's a good thing.

I love khajiit and even I'd hate the idea of not being allowed to roll up any non-khajiit.

What I would definitely like to see more varieties of khajiit and maybe even the option to play some of the other versions, but not for them to take up the whole roster.

I'd also like a Seneche mount/companion.

>"oh ho! So you are riding this one? Khajit expected to be the one riding you!"

>"oh ho! So you are riding this one? Khajit expected to be the one riding you!"

Let's not go too far down this road in this thread.

What if Skyrim only let you play Nords? Doesn’t sound fun does it, sneaky cat?

Tell me about your favorite TES character you made, Veeky Forums

My current character in Morrowind is an Altmer from Valenwood who came to love Dibella through exposure from the Cyrods his family sold wine to. He left home to look for beuaty in the world to the disdain of his traditionalist parents. Currently he acts as a missionary to the ashlanders of Vvardenfell.

Probably the one I actually tired to roleplay. I kept an actual journal that I had to write my adventures down in. I use to make up directions as though the NPCs gave them to me, I drew maps and sketches of local areas.

Playing this way was super tedious but I got into it and really enjoyed the character.

For anyone interested in the nitty-gritty bits. This was in Skyrim a month or two after it released. I was playing a Khajiit who focused mostly on conjuration with lightning destruction as a backup. Other focused skills were Illusion, speech, and alchemy. I ran this character for a pretty long time as I covered the lands making a name for myself (and ignoring the main quest).

Now I'm wanting to play this character again but I know I don't want to invest the time into playing Skyrim again. TES VI can't come soon enough.

So I've decided to run a campaign using the UESRPG rules and my group tells me they want it set in Argonia. The problem is I don't know enough to set up an interesting "main quest". Does anyone have any info or can point me somewhere for inspiration?

en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Black_Marsh

The interior of the region is pretty dangerous for non-Argonians. I would suggest focusing most quests towards the exterior of the region with only really important quests going into the interior. I would probably avoid bringing up the Hist as they're not really interacting with the world but rather just Argonians.

What time period are you thinking about running this game in? The time period could really change things and you could include things happening outside Black Marsh as plot points.

following your logic, the next game would probably be set in Akavir, with Goauld Tsaesci possessing humans, ice skinned vampiric elves, monkey Men and Kilrathi sized Khajiit living on bamboo forests and swamp marshes like For honor's samurai region

We've decided to set it some years before the great war in 4e 100

Im not sure why, but I always have more fun playing Dunmer than any other race.

Swamp noir about (Thalmor) weapon smuggling, conspiracy theories and plantations.

You could assume at this point that the slave population has outgrown the local one in southern Morrowind.

I mean, that's kind of to be expected if magic and basic alchemy can already pretty much solve everything.

It's really frustrating when we see that there is more room for growth with magic and tools and people are mentioned as exploring it and nothing changes.

My current character for sure. You guys have been a tremendous help with him, both actively and passively. I was inquiring about some lore for his background and the recent focus on Hammerfell has been amazing, since I'm writing IC books about the Great War there.

You lads also talked me out of making him half imperial, half nord, and I'm very glad you did. I feel like I've done an excellent job of creating an extraordinary individual who's still grounded and not a Gary Stu.

Markus Lucius Sulla is a retired Legate (honorary) who is the 3rd son of a minor noble from Anvil County. After participating in the March of Thirst, subsequent battles against the Thalmor, and helping command the "Invalids," as a Quaestor later on, he authored 2 books and began working as a freelance journalist for the Black Horse Courier. He's currently in Skyrim to cover the brewing Civil War, with an obvious Imperial bias.

He's gotten old and fat and soft after spending 5 years trying his hand at the family business, and tries to keep him griping and drinking under control to little avail. After getting caught in some particularly bad weather or a nasty ambush I make a beeline for the nearest tavern, get shit faced, and wake up somewhere else, naked. It's always amusing making that journal entry.

So thanks a lot my dudes, you've helped an autist have a lot of super autistic fun.

I remember your posts from a few weeks ago. Glad to hear you're having fun.

>half imperial, half nord
You mean a Colovian?

And I'm glad y'all put up with my not-really-lore posting and humored me.
Nah, definitely Nibeneese (Nibenaian?), he's from Anvil. I get the joke, not that autistic, but originally his mother was a Nord. Some lads here warned me that was getting dangerously close to Donut Steel

I want to learn more about Elsweyr's culture, particularly the differences between Anequina and Pelletine Khajiit. I want to learn more about Riddle'Thar and the Lunar Lattice. I want to learn more about Khajiiti martial arts, like Rawlith Khaj. I want to see more forms of Khajiit.

I want to roll a Khajiit, learn some cat kung fu, rob a caravan of a bunch of moon sugar and skooma, and start my own Burning Man in the desert.

Instead, I'll get ES6:Hammerfell, and get to do one or two of those things tops. At least being an avatar of the HoonDing will probably be cool.

Dunmer are great because they're the jack of all trades race. With a little effort put in, you can be a great warrior, thief, wizard, or anything in between.

Actually, all this arguing over tech has got me thinking.

How do you, as a GM, fluff or consider the TES universe when thinking of different eras? We've talked a lot about in-game stuff, but I know for a fact that we have some cool anons who do languages, Falkreath, and Caucasian towers in considering TES and personally, I think the world itself on the material level is the more interesting part.

I'd envision something with a lot less millennia and centuries were nothing happens. Trim the fat a little.

Can I bring this item from Morrowind up for discussion?: en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:A_worn_and_weathered_note

UESP says it's probably a reference to Edgar Allan Poe's "MS. Found in a Bottle", but to me it really reads like Vivec (or someone else who's achieved CHIM) going on about understanding the dream and coming to terms with what they now know.

Am I way off base? Am I reading far too into a short note that shows up in two locations in the game? Is it really just a reference to a Story by Poe?

>potheads
Skooma is crack, not weed, bro

Favorite TES character was a Dunmer Duelist from a pathfinder game I played a few years ago set on vardenfell leading up to the red year. I played the bastard son of a redoran councilor from Ald’Ruhn. He was half-Altmer and as a kid he was rejected and made fun of for it, so he learned to reject all redoran ideals and grew up to be a Skooma addict. The campaign had three separate parties representing each house and competing and the whole thing fell apart right as it got interesting. I like to imagine the red mountain erupted when the campaign stopped, and I built him in Skyrim continuing his life as a grizzled old traveler. When the mountain erupted he sort of snapped to, and became briefly the man he should’ve always been, leading as many as he could to safety. Afterwords the redoran in Blacklight didn’t give a shit about his heroics cause of his reputation as a junkie, so he just kind of drifted around, fulfilling his lifelong dream of sailing around Tamriel.

>be born under Atronach
>have 100% spell absorb
now I have constant regenerating mana

gg ordinators

Same.
Call me a fag all you want but having guns in TES would just feel wrong to me.
I'm fine with the naval cannons in Redguard because they seem to be pretty rare and exclusive to the Redguards.
It's cool that TES is one of the popular fantasy setting that haven't introduced guns imo.
The TES races have been using the same tactics for millennia, and I like it like that.
Most of Nirn's peoples have always had hard-ons for magic/melee/archery. I can hardly see any of these guys abandon their favorite weapons for these newfangled doo-hickeys. Not even Redguards or Bretons.
I think if Bethesda wanted to bring guns into TES, they would've done it already, most likely with the Dwemer. But I think they ultimately decided not to, and either way, they're kind of past the point of no return.
I can't see them adding guns this far into the series without it feeling like a total shoehorn.
The Dwemer never invented guns, neither did Sotha Sil, and Nirn has already been established as stagnant.
So those are my thoughts on the matter.

Can someone explain the Elanor Sunbirds to me please?

Yeah I have an Argonia campaign planned for that time period. You on discord or something?

>definitely Nibeneese
>from Anvil
Colovian stereotypes of Abeceans must go

>start reading Simarillion this week
>Annuad out the fucking ass
This'd be almost expected were Kirkbride not such a curmudgeon about Tolkein influences. He maintains that elves/orcs are only in TES because they were there when he got there, so why the fuck is the origin myth made under his watch such a copy-paste?
It's not just the broad strokes either, like the Eight plus One. Even his wacky semi-canon metaphysics shit is in here. Water = Memory, West = Past, time travelling by sailing correctly, etc.. Shit's ridonkulous.

I’d love to finally see my nigga Tosh Raka in action. But also genuinely afraid to see how Bethesda would fuck up a mountain sized tiger dragon

Would a new hammerfell game depict Reman worship or would they just shove Talos into the pantheon there?

I wonder would Bethesda bring back Ebonarm?

What's there to explain beyond "Altmer space program"?

Already did. He's dead Jim.

There's nothing wrong with killing orc babies right?

Depends on what era you live in.

There's a wrong era? Doubt it, its ok because these green pigmen are invading my province!

>What would you want them to add
Nirni's Secret Defenders being a 9th Tower.
>and/or what would piss you off if they add or retcon something.
Khajiit breeds first and foremost obviously but I'm sure there're little things hither & thither. Off the top of my head I'm intrigued by:
>the warrior monk creed outlines, that shit sounds fascinating
>the ruins so old no-one knows their origin (kalpic remnants)
>the Halls of Colossus role in Numidium's construction
>the southern harbor towns & piracy therein
>the eternal border war with Valenwood
>Pelinal's massacre
>Namirah mebbe
>Alkosh

On the topic of breeds I think it's easy enough to do: whatever you don't add to Khajiit's character creator could be made into types of NPC, enemy, animal, mount etc.. Easy as fuck, with fascinating gameplay ramifications should you mix in regular non-sapient cats as well. Which of these alley cats is a merchant? How insulting is mistaking an Ohmes for a Bosmer? What's the immediate difference between a tiger attack and a Pahmat greeting? Honestly the most awkward to implement probably wouldn't be Senche or Alfiq or Dagi, but the formerly-playable Suthay and their janky-ass legs.

Meant to be
>(kalpic remnants?)

On which topic; Grummites. What're they doin'?
IIRC Shivering Isles mentioned that they have their own religion that predates Sheogorath, hence why they resent him & his followers for muscling in. Are they (or at least their gods) a holdover from a prior kalpa? Shit could they be from Lyg itself?

Orcs are not inherently evil in TES and they are citizens of the Empire as of 3E 417, so yes, killing Orc babies would be considered evil.

>applying logic to meme posts

>Replying to posts that apply logic to meme posts

even a stealth archer?

>bonus to marksman in Morrowind and Oblivion
>bonus to stealth in Skyrim
Of course

yesssssssssss

>replying to meta posts with more meta posts

What's the education like in different parts of the Empire? I imagine Cyrodiil's, High Rock, and The Summurset Isles would have a high level of education but what about most other provinces?