/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything — Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything — New Player Options and Spells
mega.nz/#!U7RkBJrI!76abnPsumdl4qV_KnYObbDP5g7cAV4yvpJCVJlHjrUk

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous bread:
What's the most broken shit in Xanathar's?

Also, how do I stat this guy in 5e?

Level 2 Paladin, no oath powers.

I got cucked by amazon. preordered months ago and the release date is still 10 days later. reeeeee

anyone got the scan for xanathar?

Check the trove

Rolling up a hexblade, dubs decide the race

Man, I kind of like Inquisitives despite having no eye for optimization. The idea of being a grizzled old detective Rogue who can get at-will sneak attacks by seeing through your fighting style is honestly quite nifty.

Orc

Tortle

Kobold.

A dwarf. A female dwarf.

Human variant

Forest Gnome

ELVEN SUPERIORITY MY DUDES

Goblin

Trips, even better. Kobold it is1

If Paladins don't get their powers directly from a god (for some dumb fucking reason Anons in another thread insisted on), maybe you chuckleheads can tell me why my Paladin can't get her powers directly from her love of her onee-sama?

Negative Energy Flood takes the cake.

TRIPS DON'T COUNT, REROLL FOR ELF

>Release date is 10 days later, when the actually release date is
weird

How do I hide my powerlevel in a game with newbie players and a less experienced dm?

I'm rolling up a halfling bard with the charlatan background for ToA, and I'm stuck on what the false identity should be. I've done a noble paladin with a different character, so I want to find something more interesting. Anyone come up with one for their character they're especially proud of?

I dislike that insightful fighting no longer gives you sneak attack on a disadvantage, it makes it a lot less versatile in my opinion and makes me just want to play a Swashbuckler instead.

Especially because I'm using a bonus action, and contested roll against one single target. I should totally have Sneak Attack even at a disadvantage with that.

lol what type of elf?
pls be half elf

Because I've had enough of your weeb shit user, that's why

Just don't do any sperg multiclassing.

Get out of my way you knife eared degenerate.

Play a race that doesn't give a boost to your primary stat
Pick some sub-optimal spells
Don't go variant human fighter with PAM

Revenant halfling

A High Elf user, why would you settle for less? Especially a halfbreed

Magic
Oaths

The 5e paladin is build of the power of a promise as seen in a number of legends. That promise can be to a king, a god, yourself, or your disgusting cowtits sister.

So why is the rip 500 pages and the real one is half that? Is it missing stuff?

I asked both these questions last thread but didn't get much help.

What are the best spells for a 12th level revised beast master ranger (using a longbow and a wolf for the companion)?

What is the best 12th level pick for a character with 11 levels of a dex/wis based fighter? Fighter 12 to max out wis or Ranger 1 to start a 2 to 3 level dip (potentially alternating classes)?

>Elf
>Degenerate
Pick one and get out

>trips don't count
Apparently your elven eyes is missing the two 8s at the end

The rip is not formated. It is just text put together like some frankenstein's monster + pictures in between. Still pretty nice of someone to make the effort.

So I can literally get the power to shoot flames out of my ass because I made a promise to my sister. Cool. WHY DOES THIS MAKE SENSE TO YOU!?

So the Hexblade's flavor and lore are super weird to me. This post on Reddit summarized my thoughts on it.

>Your patron, titled the Hexblade, is some sort of mysterious entity who has the capacity to make sentient swords. Making sentient swords seems to be the qualifier for it to be considered a Hexblade, but this qualifier also seems to have nothing to do with your actual pact with this patron. Your powers are coming from the entity that makes the weapons, the actual sentient weapons having nothing to do with you.
>You are a warlock of the hexblade, but it’s basically just a coincidence that it makes these powerful blades, it really is more like a shadow patron with a smithing gig on the side, I guess? “I know you came for the blades, and I’m known for making them, but all I have in stock are the hexes. Sorry, bub.”

It makes me wonder why they even needed to mention sentient items at all?

Why not just call this class The Hex Warrior, and have the Patron be a powerful and ancient individual that curses people and is adept in weaponry and shields. Instead of calling it a Hexblade which brings images in your mind, not of an all-powerful creator of weapons, but the actual weapon like the old lore did. Give the name Hexblade to their first level feature that gives them the ability to use their will with certain weapons and get armor proficiencies.

Because pinkie swears are magic. What do you not understand?

t. Elrond

>Dubs decides
>Gets trips
Good golly gumdrops you sure outsmarted me there you filthy little mortalboi

Is it generally agreed that INT is the shittiest ability score in 5e? There's only one class that benefits from INT in any meaningful way (not including rogue and fighter archetypes). Meanwhile there are 3 Charisma casters and 1 Half-caster for some reason. Why did Intelligence take a back seat to Charisma in terms of spellcasting?

Also, Intelligence used to grant extra skills and extra languages. What happened to that? INT isn't even the best ability score for skills, Wisdom is.

Why does WoTC hate smart characters? Why are there so many Charisma classes?

Given cash to burn but limited storage space, which minis would you recommend owning for a Curse Of Strahd game?

>t. Moradin

>tfw to intelligent for saving throws

Paladins don't even get magic from oaths, do they?
I mean, they use magic before they even get oaths.

You could have a paladin who's so devoted to a waifu that they gain their powers from their outward willpower to smite all the things their waifu hates, right?

Because everyone hates to be MAD and having your social stat and combat stat as the same stat is something people like.

>One class uses int
> Happens to be the best one
There's your answer user

Intellect is worse than charisma, but if both of your dump stats were cha and int but you could boost one of those two to 20, intellect is easily the better choice because everybody and their mothers already has charisma.

Alright I'll get the real one then, cheers to the user who made the rip.

>What's the most broken shit in Xanathar's?
Hexblade

I feel there are easier ways to start a fire

That's not better

Prestigitation is truly the most useful spell

>going on reddit

>Is it generally agreed that INT is the shittiest ability score in 5e?
Get feeblemind'ed

>t. Martial
Get back in the front lines and protect the Wizard

>Barely useful, unless it's the God stat of the strongest class, or if you get hit with an arbitrary game ending save
This isn't what balance looks like.

>It's easier to identify substances and poisons and make thick smoke without fire than it is to make alkali
I'm not a proper chemist but this doesn't sound right

They are not wrong though. There is no point to having any mention of sentient items in that lore.

I know this is a knit-pick, but it's Intelligence. This isn't WoW.

There's a full high-quality scan already in the trove. All that's missing are bookmarks.

It's a big blaze.

>tfw had to DM a session for TWO people
Why can't those chucklefucks MAKE IT TO THE SESSIONS

For you

It's funny cuz most abilities that makes you roll a Int ST are very lethal, like Intellect Devorers

I've run a campaign for two people, granted it was our first time but it was fun! Maybe kick the others?

has anyone actually played with a mount that isn't from a spell or class feature? how viable is it? i feel like your mount would just die all the time

My favorite part of it is the random Raven Queen namedrop, because they had to cram her in there somewhere too.

>Website elitism

A lot of adventuring takes place indoors. Are you really going to ride your horse into the abandoned keep or into the dungeon?

They're situational. Realistically, they wouldn't be too useful outside of an actual battlefield combat-wise.

It is if you ignore the faggotry of the Raven Queen fanboy who doesn't realize she was a less likable Wee Jas and tried to sneak her in as a Warlock patron, and instead have your Hexblade patron be an interdimensional gundam whose onboard weapons you're using. Or in the case of my Hexblade, a sentient but half-broken planeshifting fortress used to fight the illithid empire in a distant spacetime that crash-landed in the Shadowfell.

>Is it generally agreed that INT is the shittiest ability score in 5e?

There isn't an agreed upon worst stat because it depends on the character. DEX and CON will never be a dump stat, however depending on class you can dump any one or two of WIS/CHA/INT/STR

So I think the real question isn't "why is INT so shitty?" but we should be asking the decades old question "why do you keep making DEX overpowered and integral to most builds?".

Everything is Warcraft, user. D&D, Warhammer, Lord of the Rings, all collectible card games both real and virtual.

>Phantom steed exits
Why would I want a shit-tier slowpoke horse that doesn't look vaguely like a millipede/anteater hybrid?

>being a redditor

i guess it's a good thing cavalier is very viable without a mount, but running around with a lance sounds fun

>not realizing you won't get internet points

So is XGE more for players or DM? I need to know so I can organize my books

>Raven Queen fanboy
Where the fuck do they come from? Raven Queen was a goddess in a 4e. Not even the first neutral death goddess. She has zero presence in 5e, other than that one UA.
But for some reason, there are A LOT of Ravenfags. And they are obnoxious as fuck.

Are thieves tools just 1d20+proficiency?

>knit-pick

Sorry, but I lol'ed.

Adventure Zone

Both. Has player options, but also rules for DM (finally, rules for tools, for example).

Can be useful for DMs

>needing Dex when you wear Plate

Why?

My Fighter bought a camel because he liked the cut of its jib. Mounted Combatant lets you automatically redirect any attack aimed at your mount towards you instead, so they can't just gun down your horse with magic if you invest the proper feat.

So, is there a PDF?

Critical role too, she arguably played the biggest role of any god in that campaign

>have your Hexblade patron be an interdimensional gundam whose onboard weapons you're using.

See this would be cool, but what about the people who are not playing pact of the blade? How would their Bound Weapons tie into anything?

>Why?

Initiative

>Why?
For saving throws.

T R O V E

I guess I can put in my "for players" folder.

>not riding your horse indoors

>What's the most broken shit in Xanathar's?

Wizards again.

>Needing initiative
>Needing dex saving throws
>Needing stealth (The fact you have disadvantage on stealth checks is all the more reason you need more stealth so you don't bust the party)
>Needing AC for when you're caught out of armour
>Needing to be able to use ranged weapons

Gee, dex totally isn't useful if you're wearing plate!

Being both, I think it's more important to be grouped with the players options. None of the dm stuff is near so critical.

When you roast in your tin can i will be laughing

Healing Spirit