>Disord Server
discord.gg/3vNJa6t

>FFG Community Forums
community.fantasyflightgames.com/forum/527-genesys/

>There is a Reddit group but fuck them

>Known Narrative Dice (Star Wars) Homebrews and Conversions
pastebin.com/3L0R2ttq

>Notes
This will be an intermittent thread, monthly or if there is breaking news. Once Genesys is released a more consistent posting will start.
Recommend a section or item be added to the main post by quoting the main post.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ht6x47NhgG8
youtube.com/watch?v=QDA6Sf3XK_s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Will anyone be buying the dice, using an app or using the star wars dice?

I will probably leave the new dice alone, I have enough star wars dice and no need to switch.
Plus all of the free web page and apps make it easy for the poor man.

I don't have any of the narrative dice, so I'll grab a pack or two.

And then never uae them because nobody around me plays anything that isn't D&D/PF.

Two will do you more than plenty. If I was to bitch bout FFG, it would be you need 1.5 dice sets to really play the game.

I figured two would be fine. Seems like more than enough judging from the Star Wars dice sets.

I'm really just curious if the dice interpretation works.

Other than that I don't think I could ever actually get a rpg group together in real life.

I've played a fair bit of the Star Wars game using the narrative dice. What I've found is it moves the game along quickly and allows the group and GM to fluff up situations more readily than just "you succeed/fail" because everyone at the table gets a quick say in what the result could mean based on it's reading and then the GM refines and moves on. It leads to cool situations that we just couldn't manage under other systems as readily since numeric systems simply show degrees of success/fail where as this system also works on advantages/threats which makes it more apparent when shit is hitting the fan/things are going along better than anticipated.

I would suggest playing at least one game of it either IRL or, barring that, Roll20, even if it's just a one shot.

Personally I'm going to be using the system to run a weird war game of Nazis on the moon!

I have played for a while now with star wars. The dice system is really intuitive and fun if you get your mind past rolling numbers and pass/fail only. Have had some pretty cool combos. Most importantly the dice rolls matters! People pay attention to what others are rolling. The dice become a big part of the experience.

Take a look to the Discord. Im sure they will be setting up games online once the system drops.

How many of us here are primarily excited about Genesys because we like Netrunner/Android Universe?

I'll admit I'm curious but those are not my main draws to the system.

It's my main draw. But simple, generic, and flexible system does sound very attractive to me too.

I have always wanted to dive deep into a Cyberpunk. I did some Shadowrun here and there. Will probably take a look at the Android setting book to see what is is all about.
Any good resource links for Android user?

These guys right here, . If you ask around I am sure they will be happy to introduce you to World of Android.

I think Magic system preview for Genesys was very interesting. Flexible variable Magic is a really cool idea.

There will be a discord bot, I'm sure.

It's not the main draw for me, but I'm pretty fucking stoked.

is there a pdf anywhere?

Game's not out yet. It's on the boat coming over from China as we speak.

I think they will probably published it slightly after hardcower.

Yeah, that's the biggest draw to me

My group's discord bot already has the dice programmed in it.

Wargaming has always been more popular than RPGs at my FLGS but I've been really really interested in this system. Can someone sum up how the narrative dice work in this vs the star wars RPGs? Or I guess in general; I only ever had the chance to play a one shot of the star wars games.

I'm a story first, numbers never kind of guy and the idea of the narrative dice and lots of guidance for my story improv makes me want to try DMing to get a bit more rpg play at my local game nights

They work exactly the same as the star wars dice. More successes either equals more fluff to how well you succeeded or in some cases crit (with advantage helping with that in many cases, but there are other things advantage can do; they've written as much in the description of their social systems about advantage giving boost dies or is used to learn secrets, etc.), threat usually just gives strain (think of mental health), failures are failures, really nothing more than saying "oh many you spectacularly failed" if you don't have enough successes to beat out failures. Despairs and Triumphs are just super failures and successes, which have their own special things that can happen depending on the rules. A triumph will always usually be a crit, or amazing success with greater rewards, while a despair might have you break your weapon irreparably, crit yourself, or in genesys's magic system, have your spell actually be used on yourself.

Sounds straightforward enough so far. How does character creation work? Are there actual stats and skills, or just a bank of abilities and proficiencies that tell you when to add advantage or disadvantage dice?

Is there a link floating around to a summary of the system while I'm at it?

There are slightly non-traditional ability scores in characteristics, and there are skills. What your skill is (+ you characteristics) determines your "good" dice pool, which you'll weigh against actions. Simple actions being 1 purple difficulty, like trying to fix something as simple as like a bike chain or something, and getting progressively more difficult and with setback dice added to increase difficulty under stress or something.

This guy has some simple videos on Star Wars, but keep in mind Genesys will be slightly different. Still, EotE is a great system and I enjoy it far more than any system I've played before it, even more than I loved Mutants and Masterminds for how narratively strong it could get.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ht6x47NhgG8
youtube.com/watch?v=QDA6Sf3XK_s

Oh, I should also mention that on the Genesys website, they have an article for character creation, but considering the book hasn't released yet, we're not exactly sure of the specifics, but you could go check it out there.

Coming from a fan of MnM and (what little I've played) of FFG Star Wars, I really want a supers game using the narrative dice system. I don't think it'd support the heavy hitters that MnM and Wild Talents can until you get to the super high XP levels, but it's flexible enough I think it can be hacked to make a solid street-tier supers game.

I'd still rather run supers in MnM. Just a lot of options I'd miss out on in any other system without homebrewing it.

Yeah. Understandable. It's something that if I had a bit more experience with FFG I might try my hand at doing. Amp: Year One is another d20 system that actually does its character building closer to FFG, although the system in play isn't so great and relies on a lot more math than baseline d20/MnM.

So anyone think Mad Scientist will be a reskin of usual Spellcaster or have their own system for Gadgeteering?

BUMP!

I've heard some talk of poaching this for use as a base system for a Destiny RPG. Would you say that this system's strengths can really play towards that?

Absolutely. The game is narrative and lets you set the pace and scale with little difficulty. Considering how Destiny is a setting where individual conflicts matter but there's also a part in the lore where seven guardians was called a "host," narrative is more important than class mechanics.

Would class mechanics work narratively in this sense? Would class abilities each push forward the narrative in their own different way?

The beauty of Genesys is that you/a group can built the class and talent system to do exactly that. The Rules are just going to be a frame work to do whatever you want. I will not doubt seeing a destiny system pop up along the way.