/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything — Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything — New Player Options and Spells
mega.nz/#!U7RkBJrI!76abnPsumdl4qV_KnYObbDP5g7cAV4yvpJCVJlHjrUk

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Copy paste
All dragon related oath when?

Give one example of an asian male human in the 5e books that is not effect. I dare you.

Za Samurai
give me an example of tiefling from the official that do not have one of these 3 trait: red skin, 2 horn, or a tail.

How do you/does your DM handle Wishes?
Are they used at all, are players limited to the options in the PHB or do you allow them to wish for anything at all but the wish possibly having unforeseen consequences?
What is the best/funniest instance of a wish you have ever experienced?

Is Link a fucking elf or not????

If it smells like an elf and looks like an elf it's a fucking elf I say

Does it fuck like an elf though?

I know that it's a little late, but what are the most Halloweeny cantrips and rituals? XGtE Included.

Why don’t more people use the ability score proficiency or background proficiency rules? They are way better than the standard skill rules and force a better PC-DM interaction.

No, he's not.

>If it smells like an elf and looks like an elf it's a fucking elf I say
Then he's an elf I guess.

I am intrigued. Explain.

He's a Wood Elf, sure. Kokiri are gnomes.

>How do you/does your DM handle Wishes?

He actually coordinated with a player, between sessions, to use his wish to both simultaneously benefit the player and the storyline.

Hey guys, newbie question here.

I understand the death save mechanic, but let's say a character has 5 hp left and takes 10 dmg, and a party member wants to heal him. He's unconscious at 0 hp, right, but for the purpose of healing is he at -5 or still at 0, and then regains consciousness after any amount of healing?

>cantrips
Chill Touch, Toll the Dead obviously.
Thaumaturgy

Not gonna explain what's explicitly in the rules for you.

He's at zero.

And people wonder why we get stereotyped as a bunch of socially retarded fuckwads. Way to welcome newcomers to the hobby, champ.

There's no such thing as going below 0. So healing 1 hp is all that's needed to get him back on his feet again.

I'm doing LMoP for my normie friends. Only one of them have played TTRPG before. The group has two girls, and one of the girls almost died today. She managed to anger a grick and it double-critted her, and then she crit-failed her first death saving throw. Pretty dramatic.

The player got fucking pissed though. Actual petulant-child level angry, and threw a dice at another player. I was pretty flabbergasted. Do people really get so attached to their characters? Even normies? On the rare occasions when I get to play, I love to problem solve and do my best, but death is a fun part of D&D and makes the adventure both memorable, exciting and dangerous. I couldn't believe what I experienced.

Have you guys tried that before? Players going actually crazy over character deaths (or near-character deaths, as in this case)?

I don't have the rulebook, but the situation came up today when we tried out the game

Thanks a lot!

>all of those xanathar buffs
Time to roll a divination wizard.

Dumb question here, playing in my first campaign.

I'm playing an EK who's level 3 right now, but I'm thinking about multiclassing into War Wizard or Abjuration at some point. Should I do this at 5, 7 or some other level?

Also, does it make sense? I'm STR-based with GWF and I want to enhance my CQC with magic buffs and debuffs. Should I just stick with EK and stay happy with the low-level spells?

Stick around at least until level 5 for Extra Attack.

You must also remember normies rage and destroy console controllers when they lose a game. Or even just die in a game they can reload/restart in.

at either 6/7/8/9 switch to abjuration wiz.

No, he just has pointed ears. In Ocarina of Time, when they skip forward and Link's an adult, they're only covering like 10 years, not fucking 50.

>he didn't shout I'M PICKLE GRICK, BITCH and flip the battlemat at the petulant player
Fight fire with fire, user.

It better. I'm tired of these dead fish Zora

idk bro that's a 1 in 8000 chance to get nearly instagibbed

No, he's a Hylian.

REEEE
REEEEEEE
REEEEEEEEEEEE

7 years, actually
BotW also makes it clear that Hylians can't naturally live past 100.

No but I keep it on the back of my mind. If I have to take off my clothes and do the noodle dance of my ancestors to diffuse the situation then I will.

Was revised ranger mentioned at all in xge, or is it dead?

Well it's canon that his asshole self lubricates just as elves in DnD, so I'd say so.

no to both questions

All assholes self-lubricate.

So what's everyone's favourite Downtime Activity from Xanathar's?

Oh do they now? Your asshole gets wet does it? All the boys must love you.

He must be thinking in terms of using shit as a lubricant.

By dead I meant still illegal in AL

Dragon pact when?

EK 7/Abjurer 2/EK 9/Abjurer 11, or just EK9/Abjurer 11 would be my suggestion.
EK8/Abjurer 12 will probably be a bit better at level 20 due to the extra ASI but having Indomitable way earlier will be better than taking Lucky at like level 16 or 20.

>guy makes super detailed background story
>doesn't do any roleplaying at all in the entire session
How do I change this

Does anyone have the leaks of the DM stuff in XGE? I really want to get my hands on that sweetness.

Is a character with the Crossbow Expert feat, wielding a Hand Crossbow allowed to carry anything in their free hand and still fire the crossbow? Such as a shield?

What?

You don't. Just let him do as he does. If he wants the spotlight, he'll step up.

T R O V E
R
O
V
E

I have made a fool of myself please forgive me

My dm is adding a crit/fumble chart and is including skill checks and saving throws. How fucked am I?

You can fire it but not reload it.

At least 7 for War Magic is worth it with SCAG cantrips.

I think the higher-level spells are worth it (especially with the cool XGE shit like Steel Wind, Far Step, Thunder Step, and Tenser's) and all the extra slots for upcasting are good too. Bumping up Abjuration spells to higher levels heals your ward quicker also.
Besides, if you use War Magic, your 3rd attack is a bit less valuable anyway in my opinion.

Characters become a lot less unique. I don't like it. Also any classes that would normally have more skills than others get the shaft.

I know that sheathing a weapon or drawing it falls under 'use object' and doesn't use an action.

However, is it possible to sheath a weapon and draw another one without using an action?

Very. The fact he has a "critical fumble" rule at all is retardation. Homebrewing a whole god damn chart to go along with it is autism on top of that retardation.

About 5% fucked

Thanks for the help! Looks like I'm going to multiclass into Abjuration at some point if the campaign gets that far

Lucky halfling diviner party incoming

It's cool dude I just got the pdf myself

How best to exploit Elven Accuracy?

>Blackrazor, also known as the Sword of Souls, is a greatsword that appears to be forged from an unknown alloy of steel. It is sheathed in a black scabbard decorated with pieces of cut obsidian. When held, it shines like the night sky filled with stars. The wielder of the sword hears faint whispers whenever it delivers the killing stroke to a living creature.

Vorpal scimitar, have greater invisibility and haste cast on you if possible as a fighter.
For just yourself, chain warlock is a good option, and works well with half elf.

The book trove is in the OP Hoss

no D&D is better than bad D&D, as you may learn in the near future.

Aaah, you were at my side, all along...

Each one with Bountiful Luck.

The best case scenario is that you roll to confirm critical failures and the results are mostly flavor and not too severe. The worst case scenario is that he took the chart from FATAL.

I never made the connection...

Hexblade.
19-20 crit range.
Eldritch Blast is a scaling extra attack.
The usual devil's sight + darkness combo for advantage.

>I could get used to this.

So I'm a halfling divination wizard with the lucky feat. Obviously I don't have great spell save DC or spell attack bonus, but I have some limited "dice control" mechanics.

What would you say is the best spells to look at for maximum utility and "interesting play" rather than playing the stats game and trying to overpower foes with direct strength.

For reference, the party includes:
A Warforged Paladin of Redemption,
A Tabaxi Swashbuckler Rogue,
A Revenant (UA) Pact of the Blade Warlock,
An Elf Knowledge Cleric

Does anyone else ignore resistance/immunity to nonmagic weapons?

I really don't feel like it adds anything to the game.

It's good for creatures that are meant to be beyond the party's fighting capability.

The reduced/lack of damage tells a party pretty immediately that they should book it instead of trying to duke it out.

You want single saving throw control spells, buffs, utility, and the staples.
Plane shift or Banishment are fantastic to abuse with a low portent roll, haste and greater invisibility improve your allies considerably, fly is important to memorize in case it's needed, same with freedom of movement. Fireball, polymorph, magic missile, shield, mage armor are your staples.

So I'm atm running ToA and I'm unsure how I should handle a situation so first there are the rules on traveling in the module:
>On the map of ChuIt, each hex measures 10 miles across . Characters moving at a normal pace can travel 1 hex per day on foot through coastal, jungle, mountain, swamp, or wasteland terrain.

and then there is there is the Revised Ranger feature which allows him that his groups travel is not slowed down by difficult terrain.

So I'm kinda feeling allowing them to move 2 hex, which is somewhat the normal length they could travel according to the rules in the phb, would kinda cheapen the experience.
Ideas?

As a DM I usually ask the party how I should hand out treasure and magic items: Would they prefer random table rolls from the DMG, or I should plan things out and reward them as I feel appropriate?

If they choose random rolls for treasure, I immediately ignore resistance/immunity to nonmagic weapons. Because I've seen so many parties get fucked over in this manner.

Does anyone like the Hexblade flavor/lore as is or did you prefer it like it was before? Or would you like it to be something different?

Does your party carry a Bullseye Lantern? How about other useful adventuring gear? Nets, manacles, ball bearings, healing kits, a hunting trap. I hope everyone has Holy Water after the last Flameskull incident.

Only if you also ignore legendary and magic resistance.

Those things don't just become irrelevant though.

>Rogue: Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma.
>Still no Int-favoring rogue other than AT
If there's any archetype that can support a non-magical intelligent character, it's the rogue. Why did they fuck up with both Mastermind and Inquisitive though?

I've never DM'd, but I wouldn't ignore such things, because it makes lower-level martials think for a moment before rolling to attack (I don't know how often you give out magical weapons).

Protip for running ToA: ban rangers

Never becoming lost and the feature you describe cheapen the entire adventure.

Does armor include helmets?

>Party makes a group for a 3 hour long one shot session
>Show up late, so I make a quick Half-Orc Fighter with little backstory
>Party falls in love with their guys and we continue on
>Stuck as “Me smash” 2D Half-Orc
>Party doesn’t allow retcons
>Everything in Xanathar’s looks awesome as salt in the wound
What do?

Already changed the getting lost feature to just giving them a +5 on the check if the ranger is present.

No because you can always find a smith to silver your weapons for extremely cheap.

Nope.

It's always been one of those odd quirks of D&D in that it assumes armor covers everything except your head. When, historically, your head was the first thing you wanted to protect.

the correct option, as always, is to die

>Wand of Conducting

WE WIND WAKER NOW, MOTHERFUCKERS

What's wrong with Mastermind and Inquisitive?

Honestly, I don't like either iterations.

I like the Hexblade's mechanics, but I've found that the flavor behind it is confusing to almost every player who's considered it in one of my games.

Their initial reaction is that they start with a Hexblade in their possession. When I explain that they don't, they can't quite wrap their heads around interacting with a sentient weapon that they've never "met" with or might not even be on the same plane. Then they ask if they have to pick Pact of the Blade. Then they expect to get said Hexblade in their possession in the future.

Probably contaminate from video game RPGs where the player wants to see their face, but have no drawback

Fuck the Party. Ask the DM if you can just have your Half Orc retire and you can bring a new guy into the crew.

If not, and you can't have fun with "Me smash" half orc, just quit and go do something else more fun with the time slot.

Hard, frontline tank, at least 30 ft away from the party, and throw your death saves.

As a man with gray hair who should probably distance himself from games of pretend, let me assure you this quirk of D&D has been a thing since the 80's.

I have a number--A NUMBER--of questions.

They suggested a smart roguish character then I read them and learned they aren't, so I'm left with blue balls for my tactician rogue. I understand they also do not inspire confidence with their mechanics.

Can you be any more autistic?