Android: Netrunner General - /anrg/

>Cleaning snippet edition
It was getting pretty cluttered so I moved most of it to a pastebin. Leaving here only what newbies most likely ask about: what's this, how to play and where.

>What is Android: Netrunner?
youtube.com/watch?v=VAslVfZ9p-Y

>How to play Android: Netrunner (TeamCovenant)
youtube.com/watch?v=vvRwynAp5tI&list=PLmHifZPFC_JvQZA4qgdAQEarHAJKjkbhA

>Where to play it online (replace spaces with dots):
Jinteki net

Try "Why I run", great for prospective Runners looking for a hands-on demo on how Running works (replace spaces with dots):
www nagnazul com/whyirun/whyirun.html

>Deckbuilding Resources:
netrunnerdb.com/
meteor.stimhack.com/
acoo.net

>More Resources, blogs, podcasts
pastebin.com/rRDjAUxN

Other urls found in this thread:

gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=3cBFgiGdHnQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Old bread

Man the faction writes ups in 1d4 are painfully outdated...

I blame Boggs

Regarding the Mars cycle inserts, yes they do seem a lot more disjointed compared to preceding cycles. Which is a bit of a shame, but then again, Mars right now is pretty 'stable', with the Corps (especially Big W and Jinteki) even more in control compared to NA.

Would be interesting to see how that place gets more details when the RPG splatbook appears.

Its going to be a huge task to bring the place up to C2RB standards. But a good question to ask first is what to put as the signature card for each faction?

Might be a good idea to have said representative card from Core 2.0

Anarch: Parasite -> ?

Criminal: Account Siphon (RIP) -> Inside Job?

Shaper: Test Run?

HB: Biotic Labor (No change)

Big W: Scorched Earth (RIP) -> Punitive Counterstrike?

Jinteki: Snare!?

NBN: ???

Test Run would be a good choice for shaper. Maybe Dino, the play big cards and make them better, plus its cute.

For Criminal, I'd go with Emergency Shutdown. Its a card that shows their HQ pressure, ability to de-rez ice, and lets you talk about how they can snowball from one successful run into another by chaining tricks together. Go with how Gabe can Install a sneakdoor, use it, shutdown a remote ice, and then inside job the other, all with hyperlinks.

Anarch has Imp for trashing and Spinal Modem for the faustian power. I think Spinal Modem is more core to the faction ideal, but it may be hard to convey how good 2 credits on a 3 cost card is to people who haven't played.

Biotic and Snare are both perfect, but the current writeup doesn't explain why Biotic is so good, so that would be something to include.

Punitive or Archer would be the way to go with Weyland. Both are iconic and do a good job of capturing the faction's feel.

For NBN, I'd go with Data Raven or Closed Accounts. Data Raven shows that NBN can't stop you easily, but they will still punish you. Closed Accounts in flashy enough to catch newbies attention and hits all the strong NBN beats.

I made a write up about NBN for 1d4chan. Any opinions?

NBN is so ubiquitous, nobody knows what the acronym stands for anymore. NBN built the network protocols that every hacker uses, they make the vids everyone watches, and they sell the adds on every AR enhanced surface available. Imagine if Alphabet and Facebook merged and then proceeded to buy all of Hollywood, plus your ISP. That's NBN.

Mechanically, this shows up as tags. Tagged runners are in for a bad time. They will lose all of their money, get into unfortunate accidents, have their rig trashed, and the corp can use tags to score their agendas. If NBN wants to tag a runner, the runner will be tagged or they will not be running. Runners can spend time and credits to clear tags, but that works fine for NBN as well since the runner is poor and will get re-tagged if they overstretch.

NBN has a few other tricks up its sleeves. They're the faction of traces, so if a runner is poor, they'll run roughshod over them. They're also the corp which most easily gains additional points, with cards like Project Beale, Franchise City, or the unstealable 15 Minutes. They used to be the best faction for fast advancing those agendas, but the faction color pie is shifting away from that playstyle.

NBN is also the faction of mandatory subroutines, since they have ICE which have the phrase "When the runner encounters...". Toward the end of the game, most ice turns into a normal tax on credits by the late game. But NBN forces runners to play their annoying games far after any other corp would have given up.

Which bring us to Data Raven. Remember when I said if NBN wants a runner tagged, they will be tagged or not running. I wasn't kidding, that is the entire effect of Data Raven. NBN may not be able to kick you off of its playground, but they won't let forget that they own the place. So play by their rules or or don't play at all.

Test Run does feature Chaos Theory as well (the face of Shapers in Core 2.0), plus it references the always tinkering nature of Shaper in general.

Inside Job for Crims is a good representation as it a good example of a well planned Criminal job. Bank Job could count as an alternative.

Imp for Anarch is gold. A virus that perfectly represents the destructive nature of Anarchs in general.

Biotic Labor can be explained by getting results done (completing projects in record times) after a hefty investment for the Bioroids involved in said project.

I hope AA Snare makes an appearance so we can use that art.

Punitive Counterstrike for Big W because they are supposed to be rich, and more then willing to convert said riches into direct pain for any runner that steals their Agendas. Archer is an alright alternative I suppose.

Data Raven (especially the AA one) is a great choice for NBN I agree. Would suggest Pop-up Window as the alternative, since most 'Net users willingly pay NBN to use their services anyway.

Pretty decent summary. You can say its a combination of all the FAANGs + ISPs but even more brutal.

Not sure if it is worth mentioning that they have a great 'working relationship' with Big W, since in-game loads of Big W cards end up in NBN decks.

Also something something Jackson Howard Smiles everywhere.

NBN doesn't include Apple, that's HB territory. High end consumer electronics are almost certainly analogous to non-medical prosthetics, HB has stuff like the Cybernetics Pavilion and Lakshmi Smartfabrics for that market.

Jackson isn't around anymore, so I'm not sure NBN is still doing the Shiny Happy world of tomorrow anymore. Maybe the last 2 cycles have just been too gritty for that side to show up very often. We may want to mention NBN as the card draw faction though.

On a side note, getting each of the corp logos done in the style of a real world company may be a cool idea. NBN as Facebook or Amazon, HB as Apple, and Weyland as Microsoft are all reasonable, but I can't think of a company for Jinteki. Maybe Sony?

Idk, I daresay all those PADs are an awful lot like the iPhones and (lol) iPads. NBN can easily do all sort of other consumer electronics 'in-house'.

HB is more towards heavier/industrial equipment as befitting its origins.

>Jinteki
Foxconn, Serco, maybe some kind of big pharma, that kind of thing

Also, Weyland feels more like if Coca-cola, Walmart and BHP merged

HB has a sizable consumer products division. Just because nobody plays Cybernetics Division doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Foxconn is probably a good one. Would help if it were Japanese, but not everything can be perfect. A big medical insurance company should work as well, but insurace company logos aren't really recognizable. Blue Cross Blue Shield with the bonsai?

I picked Microsoft because its iconic, focuses on business to business like Weyland, and makes tons of money without really innovating. It is exactly the kind of company the Board would prioritize, a huge reliable cash cow. Walmart is too public facing, Coca-Cola has the same problem, and BHP has a boring logo. Maybe one of the big oil companies would work? Something other than Saudi Aramco at least.

Or maybe just AT&T. Weyland is definitely a set of monopolists.

Weyland = recent Asmodee seems appropriate for a Veeky Forums wiki, though not sure how many outside of the bgg crowd would recognize the name.

Also Securitas and JP Morgan.

Jinteki is Monsanto with GMO slaves.

They even have a Monsanto copyrighted seeds bullshit agenda as of the Mars cycle.

Also SpaceX

Big W is literally almost everything, since they ARE are a Consortium after all.

Jinteki is mostly Biotech, with a side order of whatever stuff Clone can do.

HB was/is a German Heavy Industrial company, with side helpings stuff Bioroids can do.

Personal cybernetics is a bit of a different field compared to fancy phones/communication devices. Sure there is some overlap, but most people in-universe don't seem to be into implanted comms atm.

>I'm not sure NBN is still doing the Shiny Happy world of tomorrow anymore
They are, they're just being a bit creepy about it - looking at education right now as we come into Kitara.

Also Jackson, as a person, is confirmed by Damon to still be around, so we should see him in art at least in some Damon-designed set (he's based on a relative looks-wise, and also a fan-fave)

>Comes back as a runner

Actually, seeing as they're doing Education right now, it might be his wheelhouse - I could see him doing one of those terrible motivational speeches/presentation on his work or something - like an in-house TED Talk

He's very much an NBN man from what we've seen of him, in Monitor it was clear he fit right in

Good quality. Maybe worth mentioning that NBN have shown to be the aces of Runner economy pressuring?

I think it's indeed last two cycles. Flashpoint was all about NBN drones in New Angeles war zone (with occasionally happy ICE like Herald) while Mars was exclusively them manipulating Martian public via news.

Monsanto for Jinteki?

Both Jinteki and Weyland. We see Jinteki doing their practices on Mars, but Monsanto's whole vibe: Nebulous international corporation that plays rough and deals with people by sending g-men looking folks to harass them.

>Get a load of this guy.jpg

I like Fisk, I wish there was more stuff/fluff about him - outmaneuvering corps with the very data you stole from them seems very criminal

Man, I'm watching Belgium nationals in trace5 stream and there is this newbie guy on camera that must be pretty confused about the game right now.
That said, he did score two agendas naked with palana and then made the runner fall into 2 installed ambushes and 1 snare from hand. The yomi is strong with this one.
2 more points and he splits the match.

I love this rookie edge of unconventional tactics.

Goes to show the (self-enforcing) value of conventional wisdom.

Was Mushin No Shin involved? That card is hideously good.

The newbie just IAA Obokata. The runner is completely milled with 3 cards in hand.
Goes in, can't steal.
Runner indexes, takes 1 from kakugo, no agendas in R&D.
Runner runs HQ. No luck.
It's newbie's game.

Nope. Just one shipment from tennin at the beginning.

Third round in 23 minutes, if anybody is interested.
gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=3cBFgiGdHnQ

Seems a bit odd for a Nationals to be held after Worlds, although the bye should be good for next year at least.

So what are people's thoughts on this year?

It's been up and down. I've had a really good competitive year, but the lack of Data Packs and a lot of other stuff has been a real snooze.

It was an interesting year. Started awful with all the Mumbad and whizzards still lashing around. It wasn't until last month when the ban list was revealed and the meta revitalized again. God bless Boggs.
Flashpoint and RedSands brought interesting cards that shaped the meta in interesting ways. Like anarchs finally getting the high risk high reward cards they deserve. And Crims getting on in the game of bypass and derez. Praise be Damon for those.
Terminal Directive and Cache Refresh kept the refreshing the game, but not enough to shape up the whole meta.
For highlights, I'd probably put the revised core and the fan campaign people is making. I keep wanting to make a fan campaign myself, based on adventure/VN game dialogues trees.

Kinda felt like FFG were ten minutes away from killing netrunner at any moment purley to make people play L5R. Looks like they realised that was a fucking horrible idea and didn't do it. The revised core and new MWL shows they're ready to make sure Netrunner lives for a long time yet. Hopefully they try and surge local communities somehow next year

I am reading Worlds of Android; Do we know what's PraNo? It's mentioned as "one of the bright spots of Europe."
Quick search would suggest that it's Prague Novgorod fusion?
Austerity policies basically killing Scandinavian nations just makes me sad.

RPG player here. FFG is planning on a pen and paper game at some point. What to know if there is a good resource for the Android setting and world. Art looks interesting.

What is going on here?

We have artbook "Worlds of Android" that cowers most of the setting. We got mega in OP's pastebin.

Android in generally is bit of classical Cyberpunk (or if you listen to FFG "Cyber-Noir"). Megacorps rule the Earth, Luna, and Mars, and setting is mixture of technological utopia and corporate dystopia.

It's most likely a semi-megacity spanning Prague to Brno.
And yeah, Scandia and Western Europe is pretty fucked - the semi-megacity of Atlantica is crumbling, and only Germany even kind of holds up (though people and corps still live there and things, it's just poor)

I've been meaning to do some custom card stuff involving europe, but I keep putting it off

>Prague to Brno
Oh yeah, that makes way more sense!

Ah, the pastebin is a pretty good idea, the OP was getting pretty full.

I feel mars was okay, but they could have done it a lot better

I'd say SMC for shaper, it's the core of shaper bullshit

Speaking of, what sorts of things would people like to see in a cycle set in Atlantica?

Most Corporate cards are neutral, representing their lack of reach and interest there. Anarch and Shaper are focused on various communities and communes living there. Criminal represent some shady hotels and other hiding spots where Criminals lay love, and we see Andromeda taking it slow.

*lay low.

SMC is the core of shaper bullshit, but the idea was to have all of the cards be from the revised core.

Test run is ok, but it's just a tutor. Tinkering embodies better what it means shaper bullshit.

>Android in generally is bit of classical Cyberpunk (or if you listen to FFG "Cyber-Noir").
The funny thing about cyber-noir is that FFG's attempt at writing detective fiction, Terminal Directive, actually has a terrible story.

What ye'all think about my new deck? I thought it up while on mushrooms.

Silhouette: Stealth Operative

Event (20)
3x "Freedom Through Equality"
3x Dirty Laundry
3x Drive By
6x Exclusive Party
2x Singularity ●●●●● ●
3x Spot the Prey

Hardware (3)
1x GPI Net Tap
2x Māui

Resource (14)
1x Caldera
2x Fester ●●
1x Hades Shard ●
2x Political Operative
3x Same Old Thing
3x Security Testing
1x The Black File
1x The Shadow Net

Icebreaker (7)
3x Aumakua
2x Eater ●●●●● ●
2x Femme Fatale

Program (4)
3x Pheromones
1x Sneakdoor Beta

15 influence spent (max 15, available 0)
48 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Revised Core Set

Their first attempt was the boardgame Android, I heard it was quite good, and Id like to try it some time. Then there is also the novel Freefall, which I could read and enjoyed it. Might not win any prizes but it was interesting and fun.

There is some nonbos in there, and other cards that I don't actually understand why are included, or why are missing.

Why Singularity? Spot the Prey is probably not worth the deckslot, Hades Shard? Freedom Through Equality over Mad Dash? No Sure Gambles at all?

Also, you are 8 cards over min deck size.

Yeah, tinkering is pretty shaper, even if not that commonly used

But Test Run is more used and quite reflective of what Shapers do as well

I hope it gets new art in Core 2.0

we need Sphinx and Cockatrice first!

Yes sure but that NotChaos Theory is really annoying me.

It 100% will, if nothing else because CT's on it

Pretty sure that is CT, ironically much closer to her new age than her age at the time of the card

I built the deck around the idea of singularity. STP just for the expose, likely will just use for Sils ability. Hades Shard to win once I nuke everything. Currents just to counter corp currents. It does go over, but I see exclusive party as not really counting as a card slot, also worth a lot of money.

The original Android is alright, but very fiddly to say the least, and takes a while to play. That said, it's fun to order a hit on Noise or Tommy to prove their 'innocence'.

It would have been interesting if there a whole cycle based on a murder mystery, with the end resulting in an event where players vote who's the 'guilty' party.

Involving the players in the story is L5R only, friend.

>What are Chronos Protocol and Plugged In events then?

That said, it would spice things up if players can choose other types of cards rather then just mediocre IDs.

Or even decide which not-quite-insane card ends up on the MWL.

Not cards. Events. Cycle directions.
I always thought the IDs was a mistake - way I see it, instead of "winning" an ID, we lost one every time.

Going the L5R way, I would be more interested in seeing events tied to tournament results. Could give people incentive to play factions that aren't directly efficiency-motivated. You play the faction you want to see involved in the next event, so to speak.

I don't know, the competitive mindset being what it is, my just be unicorn-chasing here.

Giving Worlds and Continentals (ie Euros and NA/GenCon) champs the chance to help determine future game direction (other then a single card), does sound like a decent idea.

As it is, the design department for Netrunner seems awfully small, so having some insight from the 'pros' (like MtG?) would be great.

Would be interesting to devise ways that have impact and aren't just tied to winning.
Easier say than done.

Aren't the champs usually in the playtester groups? Unless that's not how it works.

Give Crims and mini-factions more inf to compensate how bad they are compared to Anarchs/Shapers? Ditto for Big W?

No, sorry, I meant, ways for players to have even if only a modicum of influence on upcoming events that aren't just winning (or even participating) in a tournament, yet are still tied to the game. To playing the game, optimally.

Hmm, TD-style mods and conditions for competitive (high) level games? Sounds intriguing if done right.

Just curious, how does the L5R choices affect the gameplay? Or is it just fluff?

They really need to announce a launch event for Core 2.0 to drum up interest, sooner rather then later.

If TD got one, then something for Core 2.0 would be appropriate. Can't be that complicated surely?

Maybe the group that handles Netrunner is way smaller than we thought? Could explain the apparent lack of attention if they were too busy to take care of multiple projects.

OP is handled by a seperate OP team I believe, they generally aren't very good at organising stuff for anything. The L5R launch event was pretty shit for example because it had no structure to it. Just open play with random people you had never met so you were fucked if you weren't really outgoing. I'd like to see some kind of newbie tournement with the prizes being full-bleed ids of the core 2 ids

So the same OP team handles *all* FFGOP events then? That would be pretty exhausting for the teams involved. Hopefully FFG hires more manpower to help.

hey guys, I was just getting into magic again but this game looks way more fun... and cheap...

what should I buy to get started? (ideally id want the amount to be able to play in the tournaments at my FLGS's decently)

wow... checkem

same poster here, looks like I should just wait for 2.0?

Pretty much, there's an FFG OP division for each world region I think. Problem is it's no where near on the level of WotC's OP division and as a result they have an absolute stranglehold on every single LGS and could likley just kick down any competitor by directly threatening game stores :/

Wait for 2.0 if you care about legality otherwise get core 1. I personally feel they omitted alot of exciting cards but those could also be considered unfun on both sides so it's up to you.

some cards from the original arent going to be tournament legal? or all of them

When you start you probably shouldn't worry about doing well in tournaments just because of how important card knowledge is to win a game. That said, the general advice is to buy the revised core, buy the deluxe expansion with your favourite factions, Terminal Directive for a general bump in usable cards, and then start collecting the most recent cycles first. That last one is because a tournament format known as Cache Refresh exists, which has a smaller card pool that uses only the newest cycles. More info in the OP pastebin.

Also, a podcaster posted some printable guides over at bgg, those should be worth a look.

Only some, about 3-4 from each faction are already no longer legal. Also 2 of the runner id's and one corp id are no longer legal. (All of these cards were played from release up until rotation heavily which is why, they were constricting the design space of keeping future release balanced)

I thought it was one data pack from any cycle? Or is it only legal ones?

That's a different format, known as 1.1.1.1, or onesies (1 core, 1 deluxe, 1 pack, 1 card). Cache Refresh lets you use 1 core, Terminal Directive, 1 deluxe, and any of the cards in the two most recent cycles.

Just fyi, Onesies is unofficial, while Cache Refresh is official. Both have their merits depending on how fast you want to get into the packs after the big boxes.

So I've never played this game before, but I was thinking of playing it with my friend over tabletop simulator. (We live in different countries)

Does the game work on tabletop simulator? Can I get the gist of how to play from the official tutorials posted?

Dunno about TabletopSim, but Jinteki.net is also a good place to play, more automated, but requires getting used to.

The tutorials are very bare bones, download the rulebooks from their site.

Yeah you can, start on TTS and get the rulebook. Move to Jinteki.net when you understand the game rules

If you are going competitive, and someone is selling their collection near you, I'd consider that option over core2. Core2 has no new cards, just a bundle of cards from core, genesys and spin.

Team Covenant has excellent tutorial videos if you have time to spare. Otherwise the official FFG ones have the gist of things even if a bit dated.

This is probably the best solution if you can get a decent deal. Core 2.0 still have loads of nice alt arts if you are a collector though.

NBN ICE has gotten lot better in past few cycles in my opinion but their upgrades are just bad economy options, and agendas clunky, and Operations situational... Assets are okay, but can Yellow Corp do anything beside Control the Message?

SYNC tag and bag I guess and Near Earth Hub spam

Do you have a window to score agendas after playing Terminals?

No.

A Core 2.0 only GNK-like event would still be nice to have really. 7 full bleeds for the top player of each ID ala Worlds click trackers would be appropriate for certain.

I find it strangely ironic that a reduced inf ID like CtM can do much better then NEH with extra inf. And to think NEH was the pinnacle once.

I feel like NBN glacier is on the horizon, not sure how though. Probably out of Spark?

Sol with Scarcities is strong.

That seems cool but I just want to do something silly with Haarpsichord.

We need more Sensies. The idea was awesome. And it was the only instance where film critic made sense.

Agreed! And more defensive upgrades for NBN! This would also raise the value of Singularity.

Sensies are such fun agendas, hopefully we'll get a "Return to SanSan" set like other card games do. Maybe have it be a more focused plot like flashpoint with some sort of large scale mystery involving Miranda Rhapsody (a murder? Kidnapping? She's a runner?)

Miranda lives pretty comfortable in New Angeles. Return to SanSan could include some drama over all three Megaplex's of States, From SanSan to ChiLo all the way to BosWash.