MTG Unstable

Previews start next week. Anything you would like to see in it? I'm personally hoping for [pic related].

I've never cared less about a set release. The lands don't even look good. The contraption that was spoiled just looks like cancer.

maybe this will get reprint

Contraption is fine, I didn't really expect anything better.

The lands make me furious.

How much better would they look with a fucking SQUARE BORDER not this BUBBLE ASS shit.

FFuck me, just remove that top opaque border thing, let the art extend on to the top of the frame instead of capping it with gay shit

goddamn cunt

I'm still mad they weren't blank cards with FORREST written on them by a child.

Or a draw your own land that doubles a blank official format card for proxies.

Hey wait a second, that’s not a man. It’s a chicken!

Blackbordered cards are not printed in silver border.
They are printing Steamflogger Boss on the land sheet just so it can have a black border, and have confirmed (repeatedly) that it and the basic lands are the only reprints.
Also, that edit looks like shit.

'Instand and Sorcery cards in your hand are Arcanes in addition to their other types and have Splice onto Arcane equal to their mana cost' is the correct way of wording that. It is also a horrible idea to do it, because of Overload existing. Also, shitty shitty flavor, just because it's based on the phrase 'parasitic mechanics' doesn't mean it needs to be an artifact creature insect named Mechanical Parasite, that's way too on the nose.

I want Spike, Vorthos, and Melvin cards. Also, always appreciated: cards that are somewhat absurd, but mechanically sound enough, they could become real, playable cards in the future (See: The Cheese Stands Alone)

More Dice-roll cards.
New coin-flip cards
Everything said I would love as well

I remember Hundred-Handed One having weird card text that allowed it to block an additional 99 other creatures when it became monstrous.
I wonder what crazy cards there could become un-un-set.

Perfectionist 4UU
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may reveal your hand. If you do, you win the game if your hand has at least (6 or 7) different card types.

Teacher's Turvy Top 3
Artifact
Players play with their libraries upside down. (The players play with the top card of their library revealed.)
3, T: Scry 1

Careful Consideration 3U
Instant
Draw three cards, discard two cards, draw two cards, discard a card, then draw a card.

Teferi's Drink Run
Instant. WWUU
Exile target opponent, then return them to play at the end of this turn.

Get a Life
Enchantment 3WG
If you would lose life, gain that much instead. If your life total would reach twice your starting life total, you lose the game. Now, go outside and win at life.

"Dude, is that a Planechase deck?"
Sorcery R
Shuffle a Planechase deck onto the table. You may roll the Planechase die an extra time this turn.

Supernova Pentacle
Artifact 4
3, T: The next time a source of your choice would deal damage to you this turn, that damage is dealt to target non-opponent player of an opponent's choice instead.

>Previews
>of an un-set

Literally why? Isn't the whole appeal of shit like this encountering wacky stuff at the prerelease? None of the cards are tournament legal anyway so the only value they have is discovery.

Did WotC ever clarify why the spoiled lands have rare stamps on them? Are they going to do something like AHK where the full-arts are in every 5th pack or something?

Careful Consideration is already a card name. I like your effect though

Everyone knows they will be valuable and desirable to counterfeit, so its not suprising they are putting anti-counterfeiting tech on them. The full art lands from unhinged are worth 4-5 dollars a piece for non foil last I checked.

It's because Steamflogger's on the same sheet, and they don't stamp just one card on a sheet - it's all or none.

I think they said that dice was bad or something. Probably not going to be given the whole contraption thing.

>Life gain being cancer
Man maybe Veeky Forums really is bad at magic. Assblast to boot as well.

Trick Birthday Cake Candle 4
Artifact

When Trick Birthday Cake Candle enters the battlefield, target opponent must sing the melody of "Happy Birthday" using words of their choice anytime they could cast a sorcery. They must repeat the melody when they reach the last note. At the beginning of their end step, they may draw a card. If they stop singing when they could cast a sorcery, Trick Birthday Cake Candle deals 4 damage to them.

seems nice, i really liked the things that made you talk
Gotcha was a really nice mechanic in theory, but it ended up not being all that good in practice

I would totally run this card

It's hard to say how strong this would be without knowing how easy assembling contraptions would be, but it's not likely to kill more than a third of their contraptions

Every pack has a full-art land, like with BFZ or original Zendikar. It's not like Amonkhet where only some of the lands are full-art.

Very rarely, you will get a Steamflogger Boss in your land slot, because it's printed on the same sheet for technical reasons.

>Very rarely, you will get a Steamflogger Boss in your land slot, because it's printed on the same sheet for technical reasons.
can't wait to get all floggers

Getting Flogger will be as often as getting any one specific mythic.
Not 'a mythic', but a SPECIFIC mythic.

Since they don't have to worry about unstable hitting competitive play, I want to see a good dual. Not like, REAL duals, but something that's not bullshit bad either.

why are you complaining about a fucking set thats made just ""FOR FUN""?

Theres so much more thats actually wrong with mtg you should be whining about

Aesthetics mean more to me than anything else.

The full art lands had a chance to be Aesthetic. They are not. I am angery.

>Aesthetics mean more to me than anything else.

Theres multiple ways for me to respond to this, I will just say you probably have a BEAUTIFUL deck that is absolute garbage! such is life

Teferi!s Drink Run is actually cool.

Not adding a colorless mana cost is a missed opportunity desu

2stronk4commander

What time are articles usually posted?

When west coast wakes up, so we still have to wait around 6 more hours

Spoilers are the cancer killing Magic.

I know right, I can never get a game going because everyone's always busy checking for spoilers. They really are the most absurdly bad thing and must be stopped for the good of the game.

Old Fogey, the Planeswalker

>that damage is dealt to target non-opponent player of an opponent's choice instead.
Maybe I'm retarded but that sounds to me like the only valid target is still you.

I just hope we get chikun tokens!
And in the OP i see thats Free-Range Chickens evil brother! Love the new lands btw goodness it has a sweet uncanny taste to them

Spoilers are out.
It's kind of disappointing, it doesn't do as much nonsense as the previous sets. they're just a normal set with normal effects with a contraption mechanic slapped on. The only Un thing about them are the art, and even that is not that big.

I think this card looks like a lot of fun. Possibly frustrating if the controller knows some obscure words, but fun.

Should be an equipment so you can whack people with it too.

I'm a little underwhelmed so far. I suppose they're trying to be newbie friendly and not be too self-referential, but all the inside jokes you had to figure out was part of the fun. And they seem to be very restrained on the wackiness of the art. Nothing's really popping out of the frame or breaking the fourth wall in other ways.

Basically what said.

Art for the contraptions, they form a poster that shows a giant rude goldberg machine. Hope that the contraptions of a faction share this synergy.

Hangman and earl of squirrel are great. I'm sort of ok with more tame cards that still do weird things being peppered with the real whacky ones.

>watermark mechanic
I like this one.

Yeah, I can see Earl of Squirrel being a test for a real-set mechanic.

This is going to be the first un-set that I am going to play, but I am pretty excited for it from the previews. It does seem out there with the humor, but restrained with power level, which I think is a good thing. I am just excited to try out contraptions, they seem like a lot of fun.

So the Contraption deck is like the Archenemy cards?

Magnet or tuning fork?

Earl of Squirrel? Did I miss a preview card?

same, can't find anything about this

these are amazing
so there's 5 factions and 9 contraptions for each?

I think magnet, I can see some coloration at the top. Need to find a higher res version to confirm.

Thanks! Can't believe I missed this one. That is fantastic, I love the art and this looks absolutely hilarious in game. Squirrels tribal is a go!

I fucking love the art of this

>squirrellink
this is amazing

Seems like it, and the faction contraptions seems to have complementary effects. We have got two contraptions for this faction already. The snail dog engine gives health based on power, and the Genetic Recombinator which increases stats of creatures.

At first glance I thought it was just a gopher or beaver or whatever with a biker helmet on. I now realize on closer inspection that it has a weird lizard or dolphin head. Makes sense since it's in the same Rube Goldberg as pic related.

Is that a dolphin racoon? Cause that's amazing.

So which faction do you so far think is coolest? I am leaning towards Order of the Widget, cause they remind me a lot of Wizard of Oz for some reason.

Yeah, it's a part of the faction, which is essentially wackier Simic.

Let's get one thing out the way, this unset isn't going to be as self-referential as previous ones, nor is it going to have mechanics that ask you to do ridiculous things, outside of maybe five to ten cards. The main theme of this unset is "wacky mad scientists!!!" and we all need to either get used to it or drop our expectations right here and now.

This is my first unset for me, and I think that's absolutely fine.
Maybe it's because I didn't play the other un sets, but the jokes and humor already look super fun to me, so I don't really see a desire for it to be even wackier.

Is this the first card that has "refer to" in their rules text?
I think that is awesome, since it's also easily understandable by what they mean.

I like it so far. Not as cool as "artist matters" or as crazy as 1/2 stuff, but it seems more like Unglued, with the whole six sided die usage.
I hate the fact that none of the cards so far break borders or have stuff in the text box

they're probably trying to refrain from that to make the set more readable

RIP Denimwalk and Shoetree

I'm fine with that. The problem with pure-meme cards is that they're not always fun to play, and they especially don't play well together in the draft.

I don't want to take off my pants to stop a cow
I don't want to be near my opponent's smelly ass shoes

I am really loving the full art cards. I am probably going to buy boosters just to get some of the lands.

Watch the hilarity ensue as you gain 5 life, or put a +1/+1 counter on a creature! Those absolute madmen at Wizards!

so can you have more than 3 contraptions in play? The card back seems to I ply that there are only 3 spaces to put them in.

You can have as many contraptions as you want. The idea is that you build up a machine and get a stream of effects.

It's Gonna Be Yuge 3RWU

Creature - Wall

Protection from nonwhite creatures, Defender

At any time, any opponent may pay RWU. If they do, transform ~

"We're building a wall, and we'll make them pay for it"

0/1

-

Thing from the ICE

Creature - Wall

Protection from nonwhite creatures, Defender

When ~ enters the battlefield, exile all nonwhite creatures.

14/8

The three spaces "Cogs' are just turn markers.

You can assemble any # of contraptions on each cog. Each turn a new cog is cranked. The game starts on Cog 3, moving to Cog 1.

Each contraption assembled on the cog 1 can then be activated. Repeat on your next turn, except its now Cog 2.

Draining the Swamp (4BB)
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, target creature you control becomes an Advisor in addition to its other types until end of turn.
At the beginning of your end step, sacrifice all Advisors you control.

this looks like it's taking itself, ironically, way to seriously. a whole lot of the cards we saw today are pretty much standard effects with "build a contraption" slapped on them.
People were clamoring for another UN-set for years because they liked the first two, why fuck it all up and make a joke set with little to no jokes?
The cards aren't supposed to be necessarily playable, you'll never use them again save for a draft at release weekend. But they are supposed to be interesting, making fun of Magic's past, and most of all, have insane rules that would never see the light of day in a standard set. 1/2 mana and artist related cards and even unique ones like Look at me, i'm DCI, are still memorable now.
This is the epitome of designing for retar..i mean the mass market, simple, easy to follow and understand and CRAZY™. All for the fabled "Larger audience".
I hope i'm wrong, and the set has more inside jokes about Magic itself, rather than the trash we saw today, made for people who started playing this year.

But I doubt it.

The point of spoilers is marketing. Don't follow the spoilers if they aren't aligned to your interests.

Considering how careful they are with cross set synergy, I find it very strange they thought about and decided against faction watermarks for Ixalan's factions, then decide to do watermarks matter cards in Unstable

Previous un-sets were fun to look at, but didn't play all that well:
Gotcha was utter shit (except Stop That).
Artist matters and 1/2 P/T values looked weird and that was it, they added nothing to gameplay, and in fact were often nothing more than a distraction.
Dice matters was just randomness for randomness' sake, nowadays we have Hearthstone for that jazz.

This is actually mtg trying something new, and actually trying to make sure it's also playable. Given how stale the state of recent set designs has been, this looks great. Forget the memes, this set actually looks like one of the most interesting draft environments we've had in years.

Send over your missing the point of un sets

Yeah, thats exactly what i meant
Un-sets should sacrifice some playability in exchange for originality. Like I said, except for a draft you will never use those cards again, so that's all they are worth, one play session. Whereas the old ones, you can still look at them and appreciate the idea and their humor.
When i will look at Unstable cards 5 years from now, nothing will raise the corners of my mouth

Mtg is a card game. Why on earth would someone buy a card game that they never want to play? If all you want is meme pictures, you have literally the entire internet, and it's free. If you're spending 4-5$ a pack, you want something more than a joke and a nice land.