Start game IRL with some friends

>Start game IRL with some friends
>Not enough people, we try to recruit more
>One volunteers to DM
>I actually kinda hate DMing so I let him take the mantle
>1 DM, 5 players
>DM "Oh by the way my wife wants to join"
>Your wife who has even less experience than you and will probably pick a caster and not know any of her spells? o-okay...
>1 DM, 6 players
>Host "Oh by the way, my girlfriend wants to join if his wife is joining"
>Your girlfriend who literally hasn't played at all and is somehow supposed to learn in a table of 7?
I have no power to put my foot down short of DMing again and I do enough of that online. My options are trying to get it shifted to saturdays so I can drink during the game, or trying to split this into two groups, one with my friends, and one with the SO's.

We're meeting later today to get started

Other urls found in this thread:

thealexandrian.net/wordpress/1223/roleplaying-games/opening-your-game-table
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

you sound like a dick, what do you have against them teaching new players?

Table size primarily.

I've spent a year and a half teaching new players; they're great at tables of 3 or 4, eh at 5, and cancer at 6 and up. At those table sizes, combat takes long enough that they pull out a cell phone, or are trying to learn everyone else's abilities and forget their own because it's been 15 minutes since they looked at their sheet, and then they take 6 mintues to make a decision.

You call me a dick, but I call you illiterate given that option 2 is going into a 4 man group with both of them.

just tell her not to pick a caster and be patient

Might be fun to be honest.
I was introduced to P&P roleplaying at age 15 on a table of 12.

I don't disagree with this.
I think OP should press for a split table.

But you're the one who said you didn't have enough players and wanted to recruit more

I mean if you wanna learn casters warlock is pretty EZmode. Small spell pool and most of it will be cantrips anyway, no need to differentiate spell levels, etc.

Because it was originally 4 people, two joined, one of which was new-DM.

I mean you're not DMing, so most of that legwork is gonna fall on the DM. If he can handle big groups you're good.

Just when wife player and gf player are making their nerds if they play wizards or whatever, recommend they write the important stuff on notecards or something.

7 players is just too much no matter what classes they pick. The GM having to split his attention between them means either that none of them get more than a cursory amount or that the loudest players dominate reducing the rest into bystanders. Neither is very fun.

>got the first session of an IRL group next week
>6 players not including DM
>DM has never DM'd before
>me, DM and DM's gf are the only people that have played before
>one of the other players is a huge drama queen IRL
>another one told me he wanted to play a rogue who 'just fucks with everyone'
>still gonna go and try to have fun

Just go in with low expectations. If they're your friends, the worst case scenario is you just hang out for a bit. If new players care they'll learn and get better. If not, they won't come to the other sessions.

I blame this for the reason I suck at roleplaying

>table of 12
>all veterans that hated how slow I took to decide what to do during my turn and my shit rollplay
>GM didn't give a rat's ass when they helped me make my first character so stats are all over
>Not a big deal because he railroaded combat so everyone sucked vs his homebrewed awesome monsters.
>He would get caught up in explosion noises and forget he isn't suppose to kill us
>He couldn't let us hurt his creations so awesome cool NPCs would jump in and save us constantly
>One or two asshole players would say comments to each other like how they hate when people don't read the book
>Don't own the book, someone always has it during game, and GM refused to let me take it home.
>Rely on desperately scribbled notes I copy when I can snatch the book.

Nbefore just download it user

>"Oh user are you on your phone during game? Sorry we skipped your turn, you seemed busy."

>Left because I eventually only had two short turns every session that lasted 8 hours
> I tried to make a new more interesting character to evolve as a player
>Backstory accidentally involved the same homeland as the big evil
>GM decided to make them the minion of the evil
>Party had excuse to never let me join their band or just not interact with me in scene
>Even when the one cool guy in the group introduces us in game
>They are all convinced I'm evil and will betray them.
>Also the last thing the GM did was try to have my character raped for laughs

>He ended the scene early and I never went back.

That does sound like a problem, just bail on the whole thing.

See what they play and go from there. Honestly, if they play pic related, they should be fine.

That assumes Warlock is allowed, though.
Some people don't allow it, because it's Not Traditional D&D. Same with Dragonborn and Tieflings.

Nah, let it ride. In a group of 7, I *GUARANTEE YOU* the chicks will eventually get bored and not show up anymore. And perhaps some other members of the group as well. The problem will eventually solve itself - unless you are all gluttons for punishment.

Take note that this includes you bowing out of the game. Come back when there are less people.

>I have no power
You have the power of ultimatum. Tell them that no whores are allowed, and if they do go you leave. Then if they inevitably pick to placate pussy, leave. Try to leave on friendly terms, so you're not caught in the fall-out that inevitably happens.

>The DM's wife/gf
This never works out. Hell, women at the table barely ever works out even if all men at the table are gay. Women are different, and only a cuck or a mangina would want women in their bro time.

Not the guy you're talking to, but you sound incredibly naive my friend. It might seem like a "nice" thing to do to be welcoming to all who want to join your table, and a "dick move" to ever turn anybody away for any reason. But it's not - just so long as people are polite about turning others away. The goal of play is to have fun, of course. And sometimes you just have to admit to yourself that certain people showing up are going to destroy that, or too many people are going to drown out the game itself.

>New DM
>7 players
>Multiple new players
hahahaha even good DMs have trouble with that especially with rules heavy systems.
Honestly you should Break off into two groups, bite the bullet and DM one of them yourself and let the new DM have the smaller group. Then play in the other guys game.

>Putting warlocks, dragonborn, and tiefling in the same list
Dragonborn have been in the game since 2006. Warlocks were introduce in 2004. Tieflings were introduced in 1994, and were overhauled in 2008.
How do you even define "traditional D&D", anyway? Are sorcerers traditional? They were introduced in 2000 - at this point, warlocks are nearly as venerable as they are, and OG tieflings have them beat by 6 years.
On the flipside, how about psionics? They're something a lot of people would call "non-traditional," yet they were introduced in 1976 - and incidentally, at the same time as the druid, a D&D staple.
It's okay not to like the warlock. It's even okay to forbid it at your table, because it requires certain assumptions about the world and extra work by the DM. And I firmly believe DMs can ban any races without even giving a reason. But don't pretend it's because they're "non-traditional" when they've been in more editions of D&D than they haven't.

I'm not even the GM, it's just what he's decided. And apparently it's 'those are just Not Right for Players' or something.
'Why would DEMONSPAWN be allowed to yadda yadda/if you're making contracts with DEMONS you're evil and an NPC (forgetting that there's nonfiendisn contracts)/dragonborn just don't feel right'
He also 'doesn't do the sneak attack with ranged thing' because it 'doesn't make sense'

None of this sounds like it has to do with "tradition." Although it does kind of sound like your DM is a bit of a moron.

The new players aren't as big of a problem as the large group size/new DM. On the other hand, it would be a bit of a dick move to turn away excited new players at this point.
I'd say go to the first session or two. If it's not working out on a fundamental level, you can leave, and there won't be hard feelings between friends because you don't even know the guy.
But also you can do your best to make sure it DOES work, like recommend simpler classes for newbies and helping with explaining rules.
I've had 6 players at my table before, and it worked out. Larger groups can definitely function, even if they're not common; some people even prefer them. Go in with an open mind and react to whatever the reality of the situation is instead of your/our preconceptions.

You need to have a very serious talk with the rogue about the expectations of a cooperative role-playing game. It's possible he's a good person who wants to play out a fantasy and genuinely doesn't realize this isn't the right forum for it.

6 players is a fucking cake walk to DM for, as long as they are all actually interested in the game.

Of course, you have to make sure that people are invested in everybody having a good time, rather than being selfish shits that would rather drag the whole table into a bad time while they bitch about something they could be helping fix (i.e. "The DM has no clue what they are doing" Really? Maybe fucking give them some advice instead of making them feel like they shouldn't have bothered trying to DM; "Wife doesn't even care what's going on" No shit? Not all stories are entertaining to everyone, try finding out what would make her care instead of making her even less interested by acting like she's the asshole for not immediately being super invovled; "Newbie doesn't get it" Two options - the hobby dies out entirely, or you fucking actually teach newbies)

Now, when the game swells up to 12+ people playing and you still only have one DM, you can start saying group size might be a problem.

>Anime poster
>Afraid of speaking to women
Really makes you think

>DM: Veteran, lots of 4e, but a little bit of
>everything
>DM's wife: Oddball sorceress that may have
>wild magicd herself in from another
>dimension, and generally seems confused as
>to what's going on. Big fan of wine. Becoming
>the group leader, since letting the barbarian
>lead might be a really bad idea.

>ZieZirZimNotAGuy: Cranky, outcast dwarf
>Arcane Trickster who hasn't played since
>AD&D

>TheYoungGuy: Bizarre, trolling catbard.
>Experienced player, incredibly socially
>awkward but the bizarre behavior is a direct
>reflection of his own behavior

>TheAlmostYoungGuy: Military veteran playing
>a military veteran. Character gets killed,
>makes a stupid, but surprisingly lucky
>Bearbarian. Talks a lot of tactics, and
>generally really wants to kill people. Knows
>the rules and speaks up often, played 3-5e.

>Lady#2: Hasn't played D&D since college,
>which is about 25-30 years ago now. Halfling
>Ranger Beastmaster with a panther.

>Lady#2's Brother: Hasn't played D&D in
>years, but seems pretty read up on things.
>Half-Elf Light Cleric.

Form your opinion as to whether the group is horrible and about to self destruct.

Everyone's having a great time, and really involved in the game.

Have you tried discussing it with the new DM and the rest of the group instead of complaining about it on an anonymous imageboard?
You know what the issue and the options are; what do you expect from Veeky Forums here exactly?

I mean, Holy Fucking Shit OP, are you running for the faggot olympics or what?

Six players is doable but you need an iron grip on turn-time, initiative order, and skillcheck or attack roll resolution. If you let people hemm and haw and idly chitchat the thing will stall out fast. Before you know it 4 hours have gone by and it's only been two full combat rounds.

I say give it a try and see what happens, if it's like my experiences with "nerd's girlfriend tries the thing he likes" episodes they'll lose interest after one session anyway.

>Also the last thing the GM did was try to have my character raped for laughs
Have you tried not playing D&D, because that's only a problem in D&D.

Disallowing ranged sneak attacks makes his GM much more than a *bit* of a moron.

>because that's only a problem in D&D.
Horseshit. You know what game I was playing in the once and only time there was rape even brought up at the table, let alone actually being in-character?

Vampire: the Masquerade.

And it was one of my friends' second sessions ever playing a not-D&D table-top RPG, and describing a violent rape of their character was the guy running the game's response to having a female character in the group.

user with the rogue player friend here. I'm going to wait and see how the first session goes, then if I can see he's actively shitting things up I'll give him a prod. I already sent him a 1d4chan page on character creation, that'll do for now I guess

I had a lot of 5+ sessions when I was younger. I guess some people just need their RPG fix a hell of a lot more than me. Once player counts start reaching bloated levels, or once I found out there's a shitter in the group and the DM doesn't want to oust him, or the players don't want me to oust him, I just drop everything and go kick it with the wargaming crowd or board game crowd. I've never ever felt like being in a shitty RPG situation was better than not being in it.

I want this fucking meme to die.

>I don't like this bad joke that's been repeated way too much
>So I'm going to give it a (you)

>1d4chan
You just fucked up, like, massively so.

Simon? You on here?

how

Wow, faggot, maybe give the nubs a chance before you attempt to undermine the group? You are a fucking dick.

>on your phone during session
You're aids and your group did nothing wrong.

This

> trying to get it shifted to saturdays so I can drink during the game
you're operating in a terrible mindset

You can split the table
You can DM again
You can just not play
You can just come anyway and hang out because it's not your responsibility

-but your default is to just try and get drunk?

current fad is to hate on 1d4 chan because it "no longer represents Veeky Forums," as if either has changed. Metaphysically 1d4chan's barely changed at all, while Veeky Forums just gets slightly lazier every year.
Don't worry about it.
Do be a little selective of which articles you send though, because some of them are more bull than shit.

haha xD im going to get drunk at the table

what a shitty attitude, sounds like you're just upset because there are girls at the table. why not just have a session 0 to explain the gist of the rules and how shit works [NOTE: YOU DONT HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT ]

don't expect people to remember the rules verbatim and just go with the flow, if you're too high strung your friends are going to think you're some weird incel retard. if you're really concerned about people taking their phones out get a phone bin and ask the players to place that shit in there

there are so many ways you could even make an attempt to fix the problem, but your default seems to be just trying to ruin the sessions altogether by getting drunk or separating the groups. good thinking my dude.

>Whore of Babylon

That's a strange fad. If anything it's a time capsule to the glory days. To me it seems like Veeky Forums just gets worse as time goes on, I'm just no longer spergy enough to hang around anywhere more obscure.

I agree, even if they were good players and my best friends I'd rather run around 4 than 6+.

This is Rpg.net's "Bob said no bitches at the table" from Bobs point of view isn't ti?

I played in as large a group early on too. I remember enjoying RPGs as a holistic experience, a collectively enjoyed activity rather than only being there just to enjoy myself. Today I play in a group that at times has reached ten players to one GM and I'll be damned if most of them cannot pay any attention unless the spotlight is on them. The moment another player gets attention, out comes the cell phone. Frustrating.

No, this is.

Pick a game where table size is less of an issue, like a B/X retroclone.

Go read thealexandrian.net/wordpress/1223/roleplaying-games/opening-your-game-table

Now stop being a fag. If people in the 70s could manage tables of 12 players, so can you. You need the right game and the right campaign structure for it.

Running D&D for more than five people, regardless if they are chicks with no experience, is a bad deal. I would recommend using a caller at least, as that is how people managed having huge parties in older versions of the game. It can make games run much smoother if you do. What said. Huge groups actually worked for D&D Basic as a result.

fuck you for acting like this wouldn't bother you too.

>wanting to discourage new people from joining a dying hobby
please don't.

>dying hobby
The hobby isn't dying, the grognards are.

But 1 GM 3 players is a decent size for a game. 4 to 5 players is optimal for sure, but 3 is definitely fine unless your goal is to play some awfully specific dungeon crawler that requires certain combat roles to be filled.

I'm disappointed by the lack of UMU in this thread

UwU

I misread that and thought the wife and the girlfriend were of the same guy.

No. Nononono. No. A GM has got to either be really confident or really crazy to let 7 people play at the same table.

>Camarah.jpg

Who the hell is Camarah?

I think that the problem is amount of players, not the fact of having a new and/or female player(s). 5 players is as much as I can GM myself without either half players getting n action at all or game being awfully slow. And if you understand how combinatorics works then you know that 5 to 7 is way more than 40% decrease in speed.

owO

>notices command seal
UmU what's this

Why the hell did you format your post that way? At least finish a sentence before mashing on the enter key like a moron.
That way
your post wont
look like
this

Did you miss the part where the phone's theoretical? That if he'd pirated the rulebook they didn't let him read, he'd be getting shit from an asshole like you for checking his phone?
Do you just have a filter up to find posts on Veeky Forums that happen to mention phones?
You're the aids, and you're killing this hobby.