Schedule a game for today

>Schedule a game for today
>Prepare the table and everything
>None of the players show up, none even called to tell me they won't make it
>Literally sitting here alone at the table with the laptop, eating the pizza I ordered

Well, now you know not to play with them again.

Did you:
1 Actually tell other people about the game?
2 Did they confirm they were coming, or respond in any way?

I'd play with you, user.

They're the only group available to me

I don't know if I should call them or not

Wow, and I've thought I had it bad, when yesterday 3 people out of 5 showed up, and then the third one disconnected nearly at the beginning.

Yes, they all knew. It's the same hour as the last sunday, and the one before that.

Play online. You will never ever run out of players.
Of course, now you have to deal with the existential dread of being shackled to a game for three years, despite enjoying it. It's like the seven year itch of DMing.

How much pizza are we talking?

1- post pics of pizza
2- where are you?

>knew
I mean did they tell you, "Yes, I will come to your D&D game next Sunday."

Okay and... did they show up for either of those before?

Don't short-sell him. He also has to deal with the endless legions of tard and That Guys who find it easier to hide their sperginess online.

Yes, they did.

Yes, they did as well.

I find that it's easier to find non-tards on a play-by-post message board that requires reputation. You can filter out the vast majority of no-efforts simply by virtue that they are really fucking obvious.
It's easier to pick from the 10% of non-shit players when 90% of the shit players don't bother to post an application.

vet user. VET YOUR PLAYERS

First question

1. Have you ever posted on Veeky Forums?
2. List your top three anime!
3. Describe the character you would play for a campaign that [insert your planned campaign stats].

If the person answers yes to the first question, or is capable of answering the second question with an actual list of 3 or more anime, drop them. You don't want Veeky Forums posters or animefags ruining your game.

Then either they are all forgetful, or your game wan't interesting enough, or they are snubbing you out of spite, or some other social reason.

Large pepperoni pizza from Pizza 73.

Cringe

wait did you just accidentally implicating yourself as someone who doesn't play rpgs?

No, I DM them. I'm not qualified to play RPGs so I DM them to bypass my strict standards.

A single large pizza? For how many people?

5, including me.

Anime is fine as long as you don't let it inappropriately affect the tone of the game you're in. If you're playing high-flying Exalted action, it's okay to go a little Naruto. A better selection of questions:

>Do you post on Veeky Forums at all?
If their answer is anything but some flavor of, "No", that's strike one.
>What's your favorite superhero?
If they answer Deadpool or Batman, that's strike two.
>What were the last three books you read?
And if they can't even name one, that's strike three.

Dude, everyone knows you get 1 large pizza for every 3 people.

>deadpool or batman is a red flag
>yet excuses naruto of all things as fine
that's some bottom barrel taste you got there

That reminds me, I need to read something other than a textbook before I go crazy.

Maybe that's why they didn't show up then.

To be fair, Batfags are bad and Deadpool lolrandoms can be worse.

>tfw the last three books I've read are beyond good and evil by Nietzche, atlas shrugged by ayn rand, and The meditations of Marcus Aurelius

I'd probably get disqualified just due to the location I'm at in my self-set curriculum.

And no, anime isn't fine. Animefags, almost universally, are not able to contain their enjoyment of anime to the hobby of watching anime. If someone has a top 3 anime, it's a red flag. It may not be a sure sign of a weeb, but it's reliable enough that the minor amount of false positives are worth the result.

Batfags > Deadpoolfags. I'd rather deal with a strict vigilante moral code than 4th wall breaking and shitty metajokes every 30 seconds

The regular man filters out players based on arbitrary criteria.

The wise man filters out players using a survey to gauge their personality and play style.

Shit, I read quite a lot but none of it is fiction

Yeah but to be double fair, if you wanna knock pleb comics, don't greenlight a pleb anime

I agree that you generally don't want anybody who associates with either of Veeky Forums, 9gag, reddit or TVTropes and doesn't have enough social awareness to never mention that in public.

As for anime question - if it's mainstream enough to have been broadcasted on kiddie channel with dubs and wholesome censorship, it probably deserves a pass.

Did you enjoy The Meditations? I'm a huge sucker for those types of books but it seemed like really basic philosophy in that line of thinking.

I would literally take someone wearing a headband over "Batman can beat ANYONE with PLANNING and here's why" and, "lol, chimi-fucking-changas" every single time.

Fuck off, retard.

It is basic, because Marcus wasn't aspiring to be a deep philosopher. I think he even thanks someone in the first chapter for keeping him from going too far down that rabbit hole.

I enjoyed it for the quality of its language (which will ultimately depend on translation too). Marcus (+ Gregory Hays, the translation I used) frame stoic ideas in some of the most beautiful ways I've seen them expressed.

You know not what you ask

Fuck off, newfag.

If you don't watch anime and weren't here in 2008 or earlier you shouldn't even be allowed to post t b h f a m

>hinata fanboy
I'll never understand fanboys of any of the main naruto girls.

Absolute shit taste.

If I have to vet players, I usually do it by having them write out how their character handles a specific scenario. If you can't grammar up for less than half or even a quarter of a page, what are you doing with your life?

I've only ever had this happen to me once, but it was to a one-shot that I put the most effort into of any single session I had ever DM'd. I painstakingly papercrafted an small medieval town, sculpted a landscape with rolling hills and forests, all at 1:1000 scale (Took 4 very large tables all pushed together which I took from some common spaces at the university) and had markers and models ready, made a stable pre-genned characters for anyone tardy with prep. All so that they could play out an entire simulationist operation of effectively the survery corps from Attack on Titan from start to finish on a single 3 dimensional map.

Noone showed, noone told me they were going to show. It fucking killed me. Never trust people with pleb taste in anime.

>What is your favorite alignment. Explain your reasoning.

>putting in the work before confirming you have interest.

I was sympathetic until you said
>All so that they could play out an entire simulationist operation of effectively the survery corps from Attack on Titan from start to finish on a single 3 dimensional map.
That's what you get for thinking anyone gives a fuck about tabletop but people already in the hobby

That's bullshit but I believe it

*not going to show.

To be clear, I'm fond of just rendering a system from whole cloth every time I see a show that offers a reasonably playable experience, and what with Attack on Titan being big at the time I thought it would be cool and above all easy to have a big group for a big one-shot of "E.O.T.E.N.A.S.". And I did get a big group for the first game, I made it clear that I was going to fix up everyone's complaints from the first round, and there'd be a much more deluxe experience awaiting. Everyone seemed pretty keen.

Despite having made an RPG of it I wouldn't call myself a huge Shingeki no Kyojin fan though. This experience did not help that.

>it's better to have a bad DM than bad players
dude, either stay away from RPGS or develop a more nuanced vetting system.

browsing Veeky Forums doesn't tell you anything besides your highly biased idea of what "the average" Veeky Forums-goer thinks, which almost certainly is wrong, and simply having watched anime at some point tells you even less

for example, #1, what is your schedule like/current responsibilities and social life commitments
if the player is unemployed AND doesn't do anything at all, and is completely without responsibilities, it's a much higher chance that he/she will be unreliable, with no social life so is there a much higher chance of being poorly socialized and will be much more likely to be a that guy.

#2, talk about your current top 5 consumed medias, can be anything from anime/tv-shows/cartoons to books to comicbooks, try to explain what you like about them.
this will give you a much better understanding of how the player thinks, and what you are going to get out from the player in your campaign.

a unemployed reddit incel brony would get into your game as it stands, without triggering any redflags (until he makes his first character)

>True Neutral, because the alignment system is horseshit and this lets me care the least.

Man, I never noticed that exporting this thing from google docs fucked some of the formatting.

This isn't bad, but you should also add something related to physical fitness.

Jesus. This was some effort, huh.

Call them
Really?

>and is completely without responsibilities, it's a much higher chance that he/she will be unreliable
That is such a bullshit lie shut the fuck up you lying normalfag.
Normalfags are the least reliable players because something always comes up.
>muh kids
>muh boss called me in
>muh too tired from work
>muh schedule changed, can we change game day? I know everyone else is only free on that day but I want to play too

t. unreliable sperg

as opposed to
>muh forgot
>muh didn't feel like it
>muh busy watching anime

at least normalfags actually have things they can point to for why they didn't show.

This is why Play By Post exists. Because either you should be able to pull your shit together well enough to meet in person at the given time or you should be patient enough to accept the fact that a combat round is spread over three days.

lol
Are you implying that normalfags aren't lying fucks about why they can't make it to the game?
Sounds to me like you're just a shitty DM if you can't even engage a player with nothing else going on in their lives.

schedule should include that, but yeah, maybe clarify that a little.... how about breaking it into four separatepoints

#1, what are your current responsibilities, i.e. work, study, pets, projects, relationships and other things of importance

#2, talk about your schedule otherwise, i.e. do you partake in physical activities, participate in other campaigns, got other obligations that regularly take up free time?

#3, what is your current social environment like, how large is your social circle?

#4, talk about your top 5 consumed media ,etc, etc (this is unchanged)

>Are you implying that normalfags aren't lying fucks about why they can't make it to the game?
Maybe they're trying to not hurt your feelings about the real reason they aren't showing because you're clearly an unsocialized manchild that would throw a fit over being called out on it.

lol
why do normalfags even come to Veeky Forums if you think you are superior to everyone else by virtue of them being on Veeky Forums like you.

>hate other people because they have jobs and families

holy shit triggered

At least it wasn't your birthday.

No I hate when you schedule a game at a specific time and they agree to it then suddenly on game day they have work that day. Why you lying bitch even if you have a variable schedule as a wageslave schedules are posted a fucking week in advance. You don't have to go in when they ask you to outside of that schedule in you beta fuck.
Similar concept for children. You should already know ahead of time who is watching the kids on what day.

are you gonna be ok fellah?
do you need to take a break?

>1. Have you ever posted on Veeky Forums?
Never before have I posted on Veeky Forums.
>2. List your top three anime!
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ, Mobile Suit Gundam (0079), and... Cardfight!! Vanguard.
>3. Describe the character you would play for a campaign that [insert your planned campaign stats]
a cute girl

>wageslave
Who actually talks like this lmao

>say the line, user
"fucking not-sociably-retarded normalfags get out of my highly sociable hobby REEEEE"
>yaaaaay

Cool, we'll be playing [mecha combat system] in the Universal Century.

lmao if you can't fit into society, I feel bad for you, but if you think that makes you superior somehow, you need to consider suicide.

What does hate for people who can't get their shit together have anything to do with me being socially retarded?
When it comes to tabletop the people most likely to not get their schedule in line are people with prior commitments.

>why are you treating your job and your family as things more important than my game REEEE NORMALFAGS GET OUT

it's the petulant lashing out and insulting

Go pet and shear alpacas. It might not be the season for that but it'll quell the burning hate in your soul.

Good Lord, you're serious, aren't you?

You're on Veeky Forums. When people have nothing else to take pride in, they start taking pride in being a piece of shit.

>Stealth_in_space.gif

>I have shit schedule abilities please accommodate me ;_;
Dumbasses
>why are you using harsh language
You are on Veeky Forums

Honestly this is a shit excuse. Of course your job and family are more important, but that doesn't make you entitled to be flaky and unreliable. If you commit to a thing as simple as a game, you should honor that commitment or at least notify if there's a change of plans

Alright, I'm not him, but I'll bite the bait. Clearly he's referring to the sort of person that either signs up for a game but always finds a reason to flake, or the sort of person that signs up but doesn't bother squeezing it into their schedule. Why even sign up for TTRPGs if you're too busy to play? If your responsibilities would consistently keep you from playing, then don't sign up.

Better yet, why not tell the GM that you're busy before it's the scheduled game day?

Feel your rage, sensei. Grasp it, almost crush it in your grip - and let it go. Leave this place, and draft up the rest of that Zelda game you always wanted to run.

I'd shit on someone too if they repeatedly made shitty excuses and bailed at the last minute. If they dislike me or my game, the least they can do is tell me.

You must be projecting because I hate games in established non-ttrpg settings even more.
You should have gone for the "no one wants to play in your homebrew setting" angle then you would have got me.

I finished the pizza like the fat fuck I am and came back to check on the thread.

What the fuck has happened?

nu/tg/ happened.

If you ask players what their top 3 anime are, you'll only get animefags. Regular people will just not apply to play with such a blatant weeb GM.

By all means, develop and love your setting until it's time to share it. Cherish the hours spent dangling its secrets before others and discovering new and unexpected ones. Just cause it's shit now doesn't mean it's gotta stay that way.

We got bored waiting for pics of that pizza.

I've been there. Tried running a campain with folks. Invited about six or seven, all were eager. Even held it at work (we had tables).

every week I was lucky if two or three showed up. Even if I'd seen the others that day and confirmed, they'd bail out without telling me. After I left that job I invited to play at my house, but the one guy who always showed up moved away and the rest...never showed up and never called to let me know they weren't coming. I just gave up eventually.

it feels bad man.

Got to Veeky Forums you fat fuck.

Oh, my bad. It's too late now, unfortunately.

weebs were offended by truth.

>baseless speculation about user
>truth
lol

>posts on Veeky Forums
>hates anime and lets everyone know how much he hates anime

Have you considered using a different website, or do you just like complaining?

You're on an anime imageboard founded by a weeb to discuss japanese culture and now owned by a japanese man