I have a couple of blind players...

I have a couple of blind players. They're not blind from birth so they still have a good idea of any visual descriptions that I use. But sometimes it's tough for them to remember their abilities/ spells/magic items, etc. and they can't just look down at their character sheets to reference them (usually another player had to read it for them).

Does anyone have any experience GMing for players with disabilities? Anyone have any ideas of things I could do to make it easier on them (besides Braille dice)?

Why would you want to GM for someone with disabilities?

They're my brothers

I've only ever GM'd in sign language a couple times and it's easily one of the hardest things I've ever done.

I'd recommend playing something with fewer moving parts to remember, first of all. DnD wasn't made to be memorized and you can't expect someone who can't even read the book to do so.

I guess you could try to get the sheets or some reminders in braille, but that's if they know it. Sorry OP.

Isn't there brail typewriters?
In large cities there are usually support groups for blind people that could help you make reminder cards they could read.

Good point. You're banned from my game, user.

Play something simpler, maybe more narrative focused so the sheet isn't as important

I'm just puzzled why someone would want to jump through the hoops to get the tards up to speed when there's perfectly normal people to choose as your players that function right out of the gate. There's no harm in asking and there's no reason to get rude.
Okay that explains some of it.

People with sensory disabilities are not people with mental disabilities, but I can forgive you the mistake since it's hard for you to note differences in categories.

It's telling that you only recognize familial bonds. That's another symptom of developmental difficulties.

Brail typewriter + index cards = tokens they can actually pick up,manipulate, and (if appropriate) hand to you when used.

You might also want to re-write the full character sheet into something more akin to a stat block so the most important stats fit on a smaller card. "+3 dex, +5 stealth, sleight" is way more useful than trying to just copy the sheet.

This can also help seeing players, as well.

Is that why no one ever asks you to play?

I'm not sure sure if this is doable, but make a smartphone audio recording of whatever information they need and have them play it when they need to check whatever info. If needed transfer the audio file to a system with buttons so it can be played without seeing. Smartphones are common and easy to record with is the reason I mention it.

I am blind and play about as normally as anyone else. The other players in my group just help out a little more. The biggest assistance from the DM is just taking more time to be more descriptive of everything. Already most of the game is imagination so we are all on similar footing there.

How do you access Veeky Forums, if I can ask?

Either with help or with text to voice programs.

You can actually be legally blind and still be able to use screens.
Just will forever be barred from operating heavy machinery.

In my experience disabled means someone who sits in a wheelchair and goes DURRR, is all. There's no reason to get uppity.

The edge it hurts.

>blind people
>tards
Are you blind, user?

Are you 10 and subscribed to idubbbz?

You need to be over 18 to post on Veeky Forums.

I don't want to side with him too much, but desu, a good amount of people that were blind or deaf at birth that I met were kinda slow. Comes with being unable to learn as fast as normal people when it matters, I suppose.

It is probably best for them to go online on blind person forums and figure this out themselves as they know their own needs best.

I work in a call center and occasionally get blind people on the phone. A lot of them have programs that just read the text on the screen to them really fast.

How they go about selecting/clicking anything is beyond me though, I've never asked.

tab and arrow keys I'd guess also they probably arn't totaly blind and can at least make out hte fuzzy blobs

Good god, that sounds infuriating.

The people who taught me sign language were all pretty bright, and they were deaf from birth, so not my experience. In my country, their education is kind of a shamble, though. Sign language wasn't taught to children till just recently and that's fucked up. You can't rely on lip reading and those shitty implants.

Deafness and blindness are each whole different level of disability. We rely on sight a lot more than we rely on hearing.

user said blind or deaf, not just blind. I don't have that much experience with blind people.

I think it's because the same birth defect that causes congenital blindness also affects the brain functions. The blindness is a symptom not cause of their retardation.

Let them make their own spells/attacks/etc, which they name themselves. When you are creative and use your own creation, that's way easier to remember than John the Editor's Idea.

kill them before they breed.

I have no input, but good luck with it, user. It's nice that you want to help them out.

You need to get back to class before Chad comes in and sticks your head in the toilet again.

sheet-metal battle-mats with magnetic tokens(if you want to get REALLY fancy, or know a fabricator you can even get the grid-lines bossed out a little so they can be determined by touch)

tokens that are distinguishable by touch(a lot of them really aren't) molded clay with braille-nubs might work.

if you can get, find, or borrow a braille typewriter use it in the ways people have been saying with note-cards.

I've seen this done with food with blind people before, try a Layout system.
everything for them is in a specific place. if it's out of place the nearest sighted person puts it back into place. so that they can reach out and find the stuff they need for the things they're doing.

a rolling box. specifically, a box you PLACE the dice into, shake violently, then observe the results. it reduces fumbling to find rolled dice.

PAPERCLIPS, assuming you have notes in braille. paperclips on sheets next to important data in the same way some people use highlighters or those little post-it note strips

getting better at descriptions using other senses, the author Brian Jacques wrote stories for blind children and made a point to use smell and texture as much as visual descriptions. feel the breeze as you approach a cliff, smell the slightly musty scent of freshly turned earth, and then of course the descriptions of food.

PROPS, now granted, I've worked in a place that let me do this, but if you have a buddy that works a laser-cutter. invest in some inexpensive, thin plywood(or acrylic, but it just doesn't feel the same), and ask for some cut-out components in given shapes.

>to be cont

>same birth defect that causes congenital blindness also affects the brain functions.
you say that like there's only one. some do, some don't.

and OP said they weren't blind from birth so your idea goes out the window anyway

Highlighters and/or sharpies make table-tents with quick-references with LARGE text. if you do this you MUST designate a seeing-eye person so not everyone else talks at once and confuses people.

seeing eye persons. if they're players then one designated for each blind person(so they don't have split attention more than one way) you may even need to get a normie in to do that so they can just answer questions about whats noted on things and whisper into ears.

physical stat pools. flat-bottom glass beads can be bought from arts-and-crafts stores. either in small piles(though they are prone to scattering) or shallow dishes. you can do this with hit-points/wounds you can also do it with cool-downs, action points, mana, etc. bonus points if you can tape a Braille-card into the bowl for each specific thing.

MINIMIZE BACKGROUND SOUNDS; sorry guy, you might need to go without music. anything that reduces echos, background sounds, or audible interruptions. a fantastic decorating tip regarding this is hanging up unused quilts/blankets on wall stands, also carpet. that shit will deaden sounds fantastically and if you can get a line on some good looking quilts it even looks nice to boot. this also has the benefit that, when you DO use audible cues they can be even more subtle and powerful.

braille displays, they're expensive, but could help for things like note passing. so if they have one learn to interface with it by whatever means.

You could try and get their sheets to work with screenreader software?

Failing that, you can always get some basic reference material printed in braille. Your local RNIB or similar should be able to set you up with a braille printer and you might even be able to borrow it.

good job I have a macbook

I
can't see
why you'd want to play a pen and paper game if you're blind.

>I have a couple of blind players. They're not blind from birth so they still have a good idea of any visual descriptions that I use. But sometimes it's tough for them to remember their abilities/ spells/magic items, etc. and they can't just look down at their character sheets to reference them (usually another player had to read it for them).
>
>Does anyone have any experience GMing for players with disabilities? Anyone have any ideas of things I could do to make it easier on them (besides Braille dice)?
I just want to say you're awesome.

lmao who taught you this? They're an idiot.

Couldn't find any sources for that information. Would you happen to have some?

Word. OP confirmed ChadGM. Pic sorta related. Don't have one for DnD.

>can't see
They're blind, not deaf, retard

They're playing MTG. They're both virgins.

Why wouldn't they?

okay, so I am getting real tired of this meme.
where the fuck did it come from, and why does anyone use it, and when will we be fucking done with it?

lol, you seem like a nice, well-adjusted person.

user find a system that doesn't have so many modifiers so it's easier, or a simpler system. It's tough to remember all that shit even when it's written down, let alone from memory. Say it's BAB+STR+Weapon Mod+Rage+Higher Ground, etc... Shit adds up quick and becomes convoluted.

Go system shopping or homebrew something up for your brothers.
Risus, Simpled6, Herring Farming, kill puppies for satan or something.

It's from Veeky Forums

but WHY?

I agree with the people saying to find another system. Maybe a *World engine game? If you got braile notecards for all the playbooks and their moves then it would be pretty simple to do. The only modifiers to the 2d6 rolls are their stats which go from -1 to +3 so they'll probably be able to just remember their statline with minimal reminders. The moves are really specific to what character playbook you're using too, so it'll be easy for them all to remember what abilities their characters have and how they work, and a handful of notecards will make that even easier.

That said, Dungeon World isn't a very good World game. Ironically it has almost as much bookkeeping as D&D, so it wouldn't solve your problem at all. I don't know how the other fantasy World Engine games are but you'll probably find something that works well if you look around a bit.

user, you need to leave the basement and adjust to society.

Why can't they have character sheets in braille?

Tolkien started it

Maybe play somthing like FATE? Where they don't have much to remember.

it's harder to do than just that. Braille takes up a lot of space it's legible minimum size is fuck-toads larger than printed text

that just sounds like describing a super-human character.

I feel bad for you.

Just add an rp element to heroscape for deaf or mute players. Game is perfect for most types of disabilities

Oh shit, I never thought about how good a tactile hex map the heroscape land pieces are.

how does that assemble?

do the pieces stay in place well?

Yeah, they click together like big puzzle pieces.

You rock dude, just wanted to say that.

A tard calling other people retarded, classic.

So? It's not like functional character cards need most of the ornamental shit. And by ornamental shit I mean everything that cannot be reproduced in 80-chars-per-line text mode, and that's something Braille should do easily.

Also, remember how much you can do with surface. Metal vs wood vs paper vs plastic, heats faster/slower when touched, paint of different flexibility, mix spackle/sand/cork into paint, groove the surface...

I second not using music, but quiet ambient noise (wind, trees creaking, footsteps on dried leaves, drops of water falling from a stalactite) should work very well and add to the atmosphere.

Also, adventure idea: make them travel somewhere with no means of sight. No torches/infravision/magical light/etc. Let the blind lead the seeing, suddenly THEY have the most experience in this unfamiliar situation. It could be interesting to have to use the weird tactile signals, too. Of course that's assuming at least one of them plays a blind or similar character.