Super Hero Games Thread

A thread for games revolving around super heros/villains. This is that thread.

Starting topic?
>Heroes with villainous powers
>Villains with heroic powers
>Thoughts

What exactly makes a power villainous or heroic?

Theming I would imagine. Heroes with powers that are dangerous to their surroundings, or citizens, or their allies, but attempting to use them in a heroic manner, villains with 'good' themed powers, like healing, or light or what have you.

>>Heroes with villainous powers
So The Hulk?

A hero with a villanous power is almost always an antihero, and a villain with a heroic power is almost always an antivillain, because powers are usually used to represent the character's true nature. I think it's just more compelling for the villain team's healer to have a turn coat later than for them to be actually evil, but that's just my take.

Bag of cats man.

Whenever you feel sad he has a kitty to hand you
And then threatens to shoot it if you don't give him the money.

Oddly enough, the Flash just had an arc about this - his normal Speed Force abilities were overwritten by Eobard Thawne's Negative Speed Force, which is much more destructive to the environment and marked a personality shift when Barry used them.

Of course, the last issue concluded with his ex-girlfriend stealing the Negative Speed Force from him, so we'll see how that goes.

I've had an idea for a hero whose power is basically, when he hurts or damages someone or something, he absorbs the 'destruction' and adds it to his own power, so he steadily grows stronger and stronger the more shit he fucks up

MAYDAY MAYDAY (SOS)
MAYDAY MAYDAY (SOS)

>Have your heroes ever worked with or for the police?

Running a FATE game with kaiju using the Venture City rules. Advice?

I'm guessing with NPCs you don't have to worry about the Skills too much right? Especially ones that are meant to be more just a part of fights/obstacles than actual characters (like say, some monsters).

Also, not sure if I should boost progression with a player being solo or not. Not used to playing a superhero game with a handful of select options rather than the wide customization that is MnM (although I already tried to run the precursor to this game in MnM and it turned into an escalated mess due ot my bad judgment on advancement.)

The PCs in the game I'm in were a legitimate UN-backed organization.

what's villainous about being big and strong?

And okay i guess giving off deadly radiation but it's not like he chooses to do that.

Rage fueled strength, massive collateral destruction, and regularly cannot distinguish between friend and foe just to name a few.

It's more the fact that Hulk's strength is directly tied to his rage, which is typically a bad guy thing.

What are some good day jobs for supers?

The classics are ones that give them excuses to be mobile and unmonitored: reporter, photographer, rich trust fund kid, hobo etc. But what are some cool alternatives?

There's always the superhero who works in retail or food service and shouts "I'm taking my lunch/break!" when they need to save the world.

I had a telepath who worked as a therapist. It was a super fine line to walk, but training herself to walk it every day like that helped her avoid doing anything nasty to her enemies.

>Hey Stan, where the hell is Charlie, he was supposed to mop up aisle 4!
>He's at lunch, boss
>Lunch!? His lunch break was three hours ago!

How big is your hero organization?
Does it have multiple subgroups in charge of various threats(street crime, occult stuff, high profile heists, alien invasions, etc.)?
How public is your organization?
Do your heroes lend a helping hand in non-villain situations(rescue operation after a natural disaster like floods, quakes, etc.)?

Mechanic could be good if you work alone. Freelance worker is an obvious one, like IT guy, or office worker. A management position would be great as well, a nice paycheck while also having the authority to just walk out for hours on end without anyone being suspicious or getting in trouble. Also stay at home jobs are ideal, something like a translator, or some online school job, like working as an online tutor or something or a programmer, or if it's modern settings, you can go for an editor of online videos, or even a normal editor, an online blogger. Or hell, you could be a fucking Lyft driver.

I personally love the idea of heroes who are mainly involved in civil defense, like rescue operators, but also double as super heroes since they have powers/gear that can be used in fights, like Kyukyu Sentai GoGoFive, Winspector, Solbrain or Rescue Fire

Depends on their powers. X-ray vision would be good for a paramedic or cop, super strength for a rescue worker, power over fire or water for a fireman, speed for a courier, etc.

>How big is your hero organization?
Country spanning. The rest of the world has no idea that powers are happening, they're kind of in a bubble. There are HQs around the country, but the primary base is in the largest city.
>Does it have multiple subgroups in charge of various threats(street crime, occult stuff, high profile heists, alien invasions, etc.)?
Not so much subgroups, more like levels. The top 10 arent going to be grabbing purse snatchers unless they choose to do so. They likely will, but they have bigger stuff they need to deal with too.
>How public is your organization?
Pretty hard to hide a hero organization when every mother fucker in the country has some level of superpower. But for real, very public, the masses love their heroes and vice versa.
>Do your heroes lend a helping hand in non-villain situations(rescue operation after a natural disaster like floods, quakes, etc.)?
Yeah, some of the highest tier guys have no fighting potential at all, but are still immensely useful for helping out and making peoples lives better.

How does most of the country have superpowers and the entire rest of the world doesn't notice?

the second melter wanted to be a hero but having a touch that causes molecular destabilisation(causing things to melt without heat). terror inc is a good guy but he slowly decomposes and can replace his body parts from enemies. several villains have "power bestowal" and then blackmail the empowered to pay up or have their power taken away.

>>Villains with heroic powers
I like those most - Their powers makes them feel justified.

Hey this might not be the right thread but I need help for a friend. He's trying to create a character with metal manipulation in Mutants and Masterminds, but we can't find the power it would be. He doesn't want it to be magnetism, just straight up metal manipulation. Any help is most appreciated!

Move Object (Limited to metal) with Affliction, Damage, and Create Object as likely alternate powers.

Seconding If your setting is anywhere near the twitter generation, then I am calling bullshit on people not realizing there's people made of lava committing supercrimes in America.