Exalted General /exg/

What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned them on.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: mengtzu.github.io/exalted/sakuya.html
. It’ll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums.

>Resources for Older Editions
pastebin.com/GihMPwV8

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Core and Splats
mediafire.com/folder/b54o6teut3fx6/Exalted_3e

>Arms of the Chosen Previews
dropbox.com/s/15xddoahzedtkwu/Arms of the Chosen Preview.docx?dl=0
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuam9lbVJBWFhJM2s/view

>Dragonblooded Charm Previews:
theonyxpath.com/dragon-blooded-charms-preview-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/the-elemental-aura-dragon-blooded-pt-2-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/signature-charms-dragon-blooded-pt-3-exalted/

>Other Ex3 Resources
pastebin.com/fG1mLMdu

>New NPCs and a Behemoth rework
pastebin.com/avv1ZCZp

>House Tepet Preview
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuS2pvcEF2TGlUYW8/view

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1sG52v0QCij7-vI0Y3Mb2s2gusu8dfkzdUOLkmMshw3Q/edit
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Arms when?

Soon(tm)
They sent in the proof with the "See Pg X" stuff filled in to WW central. After that, it's just organizing the specifics of release on RIch's hands I believe.

For it. The person it was replying to was saying stuff like "why have a Night Caste when you can have an Exalt of Shadows?" the Exalt of Shadows only taps into a narrow band of what a Night Caste is capable of.

But at the same time I feel the Exalt of Shadows would be able to do things the Night caste wouldn't be able to. Like many making a weapon hit multiple times due to shadow striking.

Absolutely. Though the example you picked doesn't seem beyond the realm of custom charms for a 3e Solar.

Also the effort of actually... making the Exalt of Shadows, or even if it's pregenned for you, it's probably never getting expansion material. Or the advantage of resonance with all materials and Mastery effects for MA.

I also like that it provides an answer for players who like to put a lot of effort into chars but also like to stray outside of splat themes in pursuit of that goal and don't seem to care about thematic dissonance. I'm looking at you, (some) Infernals and Abyssal players. This gives them a potential reward mechanism via the ST and even better the ST gets to work with them to prevent it from getting out of hand. I don't see how this is bad.

Now, as for an actual thread topic, how did your campaign start, user?

> Bonus Points: How did it end?

I forget, can you steal somebody's bound demon by summoning it? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but not 100%

No, and neither ca a Twilight use his Anima powers to steal a sorcerously bound demon.

What previews were we given in the Kickstarter? Abyssals and Infernals?

Dragon-blooded?

To me it doesn't sound like that. To me it sounds like everything else is different, except for healing, since everything else is based on healing in the exigent but not in the solar. Even if you assume that the two are otherwise on the same power level, just with different focuses, that's a big difference.

Before Thanksgiving with any luck.

Sidereal fucks with doors to push Solars together, essentially.

>luck
Does this look like a game of luck to you, bub? You jinxed it. Arms 2020 now.

>implying Exalted 3E has had ANY luck
>WW dying
>the IP getting tossed around
>delays out the ass
>the dev's trying to scam money out of people for illness stories and shit
>hurr "natural language"
>durr no eratta file fuck you you don't need it
>rape ghosts
>Holden and Morke literally trying to hold the entire line hostage
>more delays
>still not a single book other than the core out

Kickstarter - 2013, May
Exalted first leak - 2014, Jun
rpgdrivethru pdf - 2016, April 20 (only 3 years since kickstater campaign)
new developers - 2017, March 17

Just kill me.

>People complaining about waiting for 3E for 4 years

Been waiting since 2011 to continue the campaign we were on with my buddies.

>Or the advantage of resonance with all materials and Mastery effects for MA.
The Exalt of Shadow can resonate with the material the player so chose, and mastery Ebon Shadow if he wants. Why would it not? You can choose everything about it. It's a Lego exaltation. A DIY.

I want my Exalt of Shadow to have all the good stealth and throw charms of a night caste, but I don't really like the Solar socialize, so I replace it. Lunars are absolutely useless: here's the Exalt of Beasts. Terrestrial are useless: here's the Exalt of Flame. Also the Exalt of Flame can pass his exaltation to his descendant (though only one), because why not. I like it.

Instead of a player playing with the particular bounds and themes of an exaltation, one can instead just decide to create one serving his particular needs. The oulipo is right, true art is created by constraints. Removing all the constraints does not free you, it impedes your creativity and ultimately the setting's.

Exigents (or generic exaltations, don't kid yourself, that's what they are) dilutes and pollutes other conceptual spaces, without the creativity gain feeling like it outweigh the loss. This is why so many people have a deep and instant loathing for the idea of generic exaltations, though they often express themselves more crudely.

There are several hotfixes to that issue, though none even approaching perfection. All of them are, very obviously, additional constraints.

You can make generic exaltations less powerful than other Exaltations. You can enforce strongly a 'no encroaching on other Exaltation' rule, either in or out setting. You can give a hard-limit on the number of generic exaltation existing on Creation at the same time, if only to somewhat prevent a circle of five generic exaltations together. You can say that generic exaltations need to be 'refilled' with divine essence after a while, forcing them to have an active divine patron at all time. Not good solutions, but a start.

>You can give a hard-limit on the number of generic exaltation existing on Creation at the same time, if only to somewhat prevent a circle of five generic exaltations together.

...the fuck, no it won't
I've never seen someone making a character go "we've already got 3 Solars in this circle, a fourth would be unrealistic so I'm going to play a Dragon-Blooded instead"

>I want my Exalt of Shadow to have all the good stealth and throw charms of a night caste, but I don't really like the Solar socialize, so I replace it. Lunars are absolutely useless: here's the Exalt of Beasts. Terrestrial are useless: here's the Exalt of Flame. Also the Exalt of Flame can pass his exaltation to his descendant (though only one), because why not. I like it.

I once saw someone present a Celestial Martial Art to their Storyteller for their Chosen of Battles that was literally a chunk of Solar Melee with some prerequisites moved around and Fivefold Bulwark Stance renamed to Heavenly Guardian Form.

I didn't think the game system was at fault for not specifically stating that you couldn't copy/paste a combat tree and call it a Martial Art.

>This is why so many people have a deep and instant loathing for the idea of generic exaltations, though they often express themselves more crudely.

hahaha oh my god are you trying to defend being a fucking moron over imaginary things by typing up a nice couple sentences then hamfistedly squeezing this in there? Man, tell me more things you think. At least it'll be entertaining in it's moronic flair!

>The Exalt of Shadow can resonate with the material the player so chose
As long as the material is associated with shadows, which includes...none of the five magic materials, not even soulsteel.

>and mastery Ebon Shadow if he wants
Mastery of martial arts is not a quality associated with shadows, and Ebon Shadow is only partially abotu actual shadows, so no, this wouldn't work.

>You can choose everything about it. It's a Lego exaltation. A DIY.
You can build an Exigent around some specific theme. You can't just throw wandom shit together.

>I want my Exalt of Shadow to have all the good stealth and throw charms of a night caste, but I don't really like the Solar socialize, so I replace it.
Then you replace it with worse, or at least more narrow and shadow-y, than Solar Socialize. Also you get to take only the parts of Solar Thrown that are about shadows, which leave syou with a pretty sad-looking Thrown Charmset. Also you can forget about Solar Stealth Charms like Mental Invisibility Technique, because that doesn't fit the theme.

>Instead of a player playing with the particular bounds and themes of an exaltation, one can instead just decide to create one serving his particular needs.
As long as your needs are served by a single thematically coherent set of Charms.

Originally I intended to address all of your claims, but fuck if I can be bothered. We don't have the Exigents book yet, we don't know shit about them, and yet pretty much everything you say somehow manages to contradict what little we do know about them. Did you intentionally set out to try and be as wrong as possible?

>There are several hotfixes to that issue, though none even approaching perfection
No, there is one perfect fix. Fucking ignore them. They don't exist. Problem solved, 100%. Don't allow them in your games, and take every chance to tell the dev's you don't want this so don't bother making it. Enough negative feedback and it'll be dropped, just like the other new Exalt types should.

>hurr rape ghosts

Why do banned faggots from Something Awful keep coming to treat Veeky Forums as their blog?

Is there 2.5 core with errata in text, not in comments/notes/whatever? Plain text instead of pdf is fine too.

Didn't you know that words used by someone you don't like can only have the meaning you want them to have?

Yes. It's a technique I perfected while interacting with these people.

what about people who like them?

They're the equivalent of furries in terms of being healthy for anything in the game line. We don't want them.

Any must-have charms or good abilitiy recommendations for a melee+athletics focused fire aspect in the west?

what about infernals and alchemicals? can they stay?

Yes, because they've been here since 1E in terms of actually being mentioned.

aren't liminals mentioned in 2e or was that some kind of DB my memory is fuzzy

Mentioned at the very ass end of 2E only because Morke/Holden was already planning on inserting their shitty OC Exalt's into the game because they knew they were going to do 3E, so added some mentions as a "teaser" for that garbage.

You know what you could do? You could not be assblasted about every change to the setting.

So they’re Lunar fans? Because I’d rather have Liminals than Lunars.

No, they're the equivalent of furries. ie: Something cancerous that needs to be ignored for the health of the game line as a whole. In this case, because Liminals are a shitty idea with themes that take away from an already sort of boring Exalt type (Abyssals).

You can like Lunars without being a furry.

It makes me so sad that White Wolf is dead.

No, I definitely think Lunars are the biggest cancer, of all time. They’re just shitty waifu-bait and furry pandering. Just excise them and replace with Liminals.

Is there a guide to make custom charms somewhere? Or where can I find the rules in the books?

Its not going to be a thing until Exigents

Years of shitty rules, and terrible mismanagement makes you miss them? Is this beaten housewife syndrome?

There is no official guide yet. Honestly, the easiest way to make custom stuff is to just look at what currently exists, and keep it around the same power level.

I made one in my ST guide. Head down to the charms section.

docs.google.com/document/d/1sG52v0QCij7-vI0Y3Mb2s2gusu8dfkzdUOLkmMshw3Q/edit

I liked playing NWoD and Vampire a lot so probably yes

Liminals were created because they hated Abyssals and wanted to steal conceptual space from them.

ok holden.

The same can be said about Infernals, but they're everyone's darling so you just get shouted down.

Free-willed servants able to grow and achieve a dark transhumanism, but tied to static and ancient primordials is a massive pillar of the Abyssal Exaltation. It's a real shame that rather than make an MOEP 2.5 for Abyssal we got Infernals instead.

The main issue is the idea that the Yozi would ever create free-willed servants again. There's a reason why in 1e they have Akuma instead. (And don't start about Infernal Exalted references in 1e, they're just WW constantly feeling the need to call things by alternate names.)

Infernals are just as bad as Liminals, Exigents, and whatever further fanfiction-tier Exalts they keep stapling on over 1e's lore.

>11/12/17(Sun)
>49 posts
>29 unique posters
You can't make this shit up
Fuck you, Rich, Morke, Holden, this ans Werewolf 20 were going to be THE RPGs for me and instead your assholery, both personal and professional, has killed Exalted and WW/OPP in general for me

They consider it worth it. They needed to help their own careers/pedal social justice. Everything else is a means to an end...

I don't think those two are alive, only to post sjw bullshit on their twitter accounts. I'm seeing this as few desperate souls trying to keep /exg alive. Buty yeah. 60 posts in 2 days....

Fuck off Inugami

...Help what?
Did they really think for an instant that they could ever have achieved something outside of OPP freelancing contracts?
They were just random scrubs put on a pedestal from their catamites on the official forum for having written a couple right Charms at the right time (and an endless stream of shitty and/or redundant ones, see The Dawn Solution)
Their biggest work, 2.5, was basically "Yo guys you have been asking no Combo for years so here you have it, no Combo, use whatever the fuck you want every round"
Their writing style is one word of concept, three words of Thesaurus roulette, which was barely tolerable in the 90s when "adult" gaymerz thought that it was the price to pay to read soemthing barely more engaging and mature than AD&D's spell list
How could they ever think any employer outside OPP/WW would ever look at their work twice?

ok sunder

Sometimes threads are fast, sometimes threads are slow. For me, the reason why I don't post much lately is because I don't want to read the same bitching ad-nauseum.

I have to check though, do you really think Holden posts here or is it just a lazy meme?

Because some people are really being serious, apparently.

Back when we were incredibly excited about the hope 3rd Edition woudl come out in a reasonable time there were hundreds of poster. We could go on talking about nothing endlessly and often every day saw multiple threads hitting bump limit.
Now we finally have an actual game to talk about and, well... Pic related is all that comes to mind.

Old lazy meme
Not particularly smart either, it gets used to mock anything, both stuff Holden would say himself and stuff Holden would hate; for example Holden loved Lunars and whatever he and Morke were cooking up for them (which now we may never know)

The issue is, largely, that there's not all that much more to talk about. We've examined the book to death, and people largely agree that it's the best one. There hasn't been new content for a while, so everyone's either busy playing their game or talking about something else.

Then where are all the neckbeards overeager to share with us they exploits of their amazing suepr special characters? You know we love to talk about that shit
They aren't all waiting until we have rules foir playing catgirls again, aren't they?

yeah for years people used to shout at you for even wanting playable free-willed Infernals, funnily according to one friend of mine Holden used to be one of those people

I'm kinda getting there... I've realised that the big problem Lunars have is that they keep miss-selling themselves as the Solars rightful co-rulers and equals but with lots of elders in the Age of Sorrows so when they're doing anything besides ruling the world with an iron fist they come across as hopeless retards and of course bullshitters when they're saying things like "oh we had Solar Circle Sorcery but the Solars took it away from us"

I fear this thing with the Caul is going to be the same, that their success with taking over most of it is going to be overshadowed by the fact their attempts to take Faxai is a humiliating string of failures against 'lesser exalts'

I personally found the concept of Akuma boring and unnecessary.
The reason the Yozi and Neverborn couldn't make Exalted without free will is that Exalted need to be human, and human have, well, free will. Every Exalt character should be about choosing their own path. Yet there comes Akuma, who can get reprogrammed to be willing slaves to the point that the Yozi have to carefully word their Urges lest the Akuma be crippled in fucntion for following them to the letter. (Hence the Infernal: the Yozi realized that they couldn't figure out how to program the Akuma to fre them, so they made a bunch of free-willed Solar tier Exalts hoping they would figure it out for them)
It's just stupid, this whole Akuma thing.

The only times I remember that happening were during Big News style moments like the actual KS or the game leaks

haha cool
so which random scrub and their catamites would you prefer?

Sufficiently woke posters from the Something Awful forums or Sufficient Velocity.

2/10 bait

All right then, Kevin Crawford, as Godbound is already a perfect system.

HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>Ex 3 Arms of the Chosen – Advance PDF on sale Weds on DTRPG.

Also might as well add the cover.

Holy shit it is true

I've dropped that kind of giant FA armory on my players before. Watching their eyes goggle when they realise what they're surrounded is almost as much as stealing it all from them afterwards...

YISS

"Advance" means that we can buy it, spot typos or weird wording in the rules, and then send it to the devs for correction, right?

How many pages does it have?

Yes. Also pages count is around 300 last I heard.

>300 pages

I mean, I get that there's an intro and Warstrider rules at least, but god damn that's a lot of Artefacts.

Its probably going to be more like 250-200 as they probably tried to slim it down.

No they weren't. They were inspired by Promethean: The Created. I know it's a popular fear that they will do so, and one that may in time prove to be founded but the devs explicitly said at every turn at every turn that it was mot their intention to do so, and judging by what little we've seen of Liminals in the book they seem to have been telling the truth.

Abyssals are still Blades and Vampire Hunter Ds and whatnot. They're still the uncontested champions of the Underworld. They're still between the living and the dead if they want to be. They in fact seem to have the potential for way more definition with the playing up of the "knight" aspect of their concept and this "chivalry of death" business. It looks like they have every chance of being treated better than they were in 2e and a lot of Abyssal fans are actually excited for their prospects.

Liminals seem to be something new. They're freaks who were never alive made from the dead. They don't drink blood for power (I don't think), but everything about them is stolen or repurposed. They seem to mainly fight freako in between things like themselves, which is admittedly something Abyssals also do, but seem to do so in a different idiom, with different tools, and at different power level. They completely lack the dark glory of the Abyssals and seem to occupy a radically different position in the setting.

Immaculates don't even consider Liminals anathema.

They consider Liminals fucking horrifying monsters that walk with the flesh of man, but they are not one of the nine types of Anathema.

OP

>"world that turned them on."

>Welcome to my magical realm...

Why tho

I'm glad that someone finally noticed. This is your fault for not making a new thread for so long I had to do it.

I don't and never have played exalted, I thought I would stop to read the general and get a feel for it...

Can we talk about sainthood and deification for a bit? Obviously, the role of living saints, rishis, Buddhas, avatars, and demigods is occupied primarily by the Exalted themselves. And any ghost may gather a cult and hand out blessing, mainly to descendants. But I also know that people, especially mortals, are sometimes deified, sometimes while living but often upon death.

I'm not too interested in the game mechanics of this, although it's obvious how it might be done in 1e and 2e. I'm more interested in who might be deified, by whom, under what circumstances, and how this is regarded by different cultures of Creation.

For example, I understand that in the Realm's Immaculate orthodoxy, the Immaculate Dragons are revered and emulated but not worshipped and that a Dragonblood's ancestors are respected, but are there orthodox Immaculate saints aside from the Dragons? What about heretical cults to the Empress and notables from Realm and Shogunate history?

Oh, has it only been like that for the one thread?

It's 128 pages, up from an originally planned 64.

Yes. Though I'll probably keep doing it whenever people fail to keep the thread alive and I have to be the one who remakes it.

Then you still have time to run away.

It's a fairly crunch heavy RPG set in a bronze age, swords-and-sorcery setting that draws as much from Greek, Indian, Chinese and Japanese mythology as it does from high-flying wuxia and anime. The setting and system are extremely intertwined. Third Edition is probably the best one so far, but due to mismanagement it took 4 years for the book to come out and interest largely died in the meanwhile. It's unfortunate.

300 pages was admittedly too good to be true. I am still reasonably erect, however.

The book has only been out for a year and generated quite a bit of attention. I'm hoping that Vance and Minton are faster than the previous fucks though.

>Yes. Though I'll probably keep doing it whenever people fail to keep the thread alive and I have to be the one who remakes it.
Why the fuck would you do that? Making a new thread isn't any specific person's responsibility, you can do it the same as anyone else, and just using the pre-existing OP is both the easiest and most decent way of oing on about it.

Moooooooddddssss

Of course they'll be faster after so much work was done for them.

Exactly. The core is done, that's the hardest part. Now roll out the supplement treadmill already.

The big indicator will be the gap between Arms and Dragonbloods. Arms probably took a bit longer to complete because of the bullshit with John and Holden's departure mucking things up. Now that Vance and Minton have been working on Arms and DBs at the same time the only difference should be their input vs John and Holden's. Let's hope we don't have to wait another full year for Dragonbloods.

Dragonbloods is already complete in text, just awaiting layout and art.

I'm about to nut
One of you fuckers better get it out here when it finally hits godammit.