Cheer Up Thread

ITT: We cheer each other up when we have problems with our groups/games/players. Post your story and be nice to each other.

My Group lies in ruins, because some of my players fight over autistic reasons, I do everthing I can, I try do make everyone feel comfortable but know a long beloved players has split herself from the rest of the group and will not come back likely, I fear. I am sad, I invested so much in this group, I even wrote diary entries for my character to make each of our adventures into a story. I am sad, teegee cheer me up.

Other urls found in this thread:

dutchnews.nl/features/2017/03/the-best-dutch-game-cafes-and-shops-editing/
youtube.com/watch?v=cswrOKYbZgE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sometimes people fall out of love. It's no one's fault. That's just how it is.

Nothing worth having lasts forever.

Have a Minus. This one always cheers me up and gives me chills.

I think my group is going to fall apart next summer. We've been gaming every week for 6 years, but this year has been full of change for all of us. One player and I (we've been dating for 5 years) just had a child. A second player has an opportunity to work in China for the summer. Another player took a job on a cruise ship and will also be gone for most of next year. I know we'll always be friends and it's not like they're going away forever. And our child hasn't really prohibited us from gaming, either. I'm trying to think about it as a temporary vacation, and not some permanent change. We'll get together once everyone is back, right?

I hope for you that this happens. My Group is only two years old, I learned to love all the characters that were in it and I am terrible afraid, that I will now have to miss them. Not just that players are my only friends and I have tried to make the Group stay together trough some of them having kinda abusive relationships, some of them beeing assholes, even after we finished school tried to hold them together. They all have their flaws: Beeing entitled and egocentric, beeing dickish because they compromise for their own problems, beeing lazy and without any empathy. I hold this group of my beloved morons together, the only peoble that showed me friendship after I was bullied my entire middle school career. I did everything I could. Maybe I was to emotional, maybe not enough. I am tired, and I watch in horror everthing I loved threaten, no actually falling apart. Why do I deserve this? Have I not long enough existed in misery?

I wish you the best of luck that a human can have in this miserable word, for your group to came back together user.

This might be a good time to sit down and talk about it. The fighting has to stop, but bandages have just lead to rotting sores.

>No group
>No friends
>Live in a West European armpit where TTRPGs aren't even a thing
>Literally autistic, so even if I found a group I wouldn't be able to play
>28, so even if I found a group I'd be the oldest guy there by a significant margin

Not even sad, just kinda melancholic.

Kill urself lol

Where? I know Spanish people that play and tons of places play in the uk.

Netherlands

>Netherlands
dutchnews.nl/features/2017/03/the-best-dutch-game-cafes-and-shops-editing/

Shoot man. Im 29 and im one of the younger ones in our roleplay club.

You first you gigantic jizzstain.
Fuck your own abdomen in half with a hatchet.

>cheer each other up when we have problems with our groups/games/players
What if we don't have groups, games or friends in the first place
I feel you, but I live in freedomland so I have even less of an excuse

>be 24
>play with 2 slavs one pretty niche system
>everything is ok

I feel like you aren't trying hard enough bruv

Cry more bitch nigga

I'm 26 and the youngest in my group and also the DM.

You're never too old.

Likewise the vast majority of people in this hobby are autistic in one way or another so you're in good company too.

I know a decent number of RPG players in their 40s and 50s.

Autism is probably your biggest barrier. Plenty of RPG groups are willing to welcome robots, I've played with plenty of people on the spectrum.
You just have to autistic but still a fairly nice person. If you're an autistic asshole, then nobody will really tolerate you for more than 1 or 2 sessions. (Normie assholes are better at hiding their asshole power level, especially if you only see them once a week).

Also, you should also be aware that the type of group that welcomes autistic people are likely to also welcome various other non-normies.. If you get triggered by being around fags, females, trans people, furries, or other robots, you're gonna have a bad time. But unless you're walking into a game of Catan or FATAL, most of them will be able to control their power level at the table, and you'll be expected to do the same.

Good luck finding a group. The fact that you're a robot posting on Veeky Forums means you'll need all the luck you can get.

A bit under a year ago my old DM threw an autistic shitfit and tried to get multiple members from my old DnD group to go after me personally on the pretense that he'd have to stop running the campaign if they didn't, even though he'd never tried to communicate with me any problems he'd had before this. Even though these problems could've been solved just by taking twenty minutes to talk to me.

The other group members eventually realized that he was being a scumbag and sided with me, but they never spoke up against him because they didn't want to be kicked out of the group too.

I am now a forever-DM with my own campaign who continuously has to deal with scheduling issues caused from the other game and its passive-aggressive twat of a DM because all but one of my players are in the former group, and one player who wasn't privvy to what happened dropped out of my campaign recently because they didn't have time to be in two sessions at once.

So this is what hatred feels like.

I feel you OP. Groups come and go, and things never go out the way we want to. Here, have an OVA to watch. The quality of the video is pretty bad but its ultra comfy. Might help you sleep.

youtube.com/watch?v=cswrOKYbZgE

That nice, and I think it will help me sleeping, thanks a lot for it. I am a fool, but I hope for a better day tomorrow.

I feel like I'm part of the group just to fill a seat. Things and stories I want to do are ignored, pushed to the side, or mocked with regularity enough that I've started to not even suggest things. I like to think they're my friends, but nobody even wished me a happy birthday last week, not even my mom, even when I went out of my way to mail them birthday cards in the past. The only social interaction I have is at work, and even then I can't help but feel I'm tolerated at best, subconsciously despised at worst. To top it all off, another pc killed my guy in a fate campaign, and I was a normal dude and he was a servant, so I didn't even have a chance to do anything. To make matters worse, I don't even feel that bad, I'm just getting more numb with every passing day.

Do more exercise like biking or swimming

Talk to your Supervisor at work, ask what small things you can improve on

It’s time for you to GM

SOB STORY YAAAY

I'm clinically depressed. I'm not that dysfunctional. I have friends, even a girlfriend for a couple years. I go to college, hold a job, the works. But it all feels shallow. When I go back home at the end of the day I get that crushing feeling. Some days I just lay in bed for hours, trying to work up courage to get up.
My sister is a trainwreck that threatens to kill herself if anything doesn't go her way. She says it's my fault, because my parents always loved the "little faggot that can't control his feelings" more. That doesn't faze me really, but it creates a lot of tension at home.
My mother cries all the time. She says she's a failure because "her two kids are screwed up, and it's all her fault". She was kinda abusive towards me growing up, but once she saw me having a panic attack the made a heel-face turn and has been "trying to help me"... except when she's frustrated from something my sister did, then it's old mom all over again. It's pretty bad to see her crying all the time, too.

Playing has been keeping me together all this time. You need to do something to keep yourself from going crazy. And playing gave me that satisfaction of... doing something. Having some human interaction. The worse things got at home, the more I wrote and played.
But recently, I have burned out. I make a lot of games that go for 1-2 sessions, then I jump into another idea and another and another. I tried to run away from my life's shit by playing, but all it accomplished was making games a chore. I feel the /r9k/ overtaking me. I look at new players and I just disdain them. I try to play at other people's adventures, and it all seems so shitty. I'm losing my imagination and suspension of disbelief. I know I should be better than this, but frankly, I'm tired.

Now I don't know what to do. I've been playing for almost 10 years, since middle school. It's a part of my life at this point. It's my *thing*. And I'm not good at it anymore.
Maybe it's time to grow up.

STOP USING SO MANY FUCKING COMMAS.

GOD DAMN

I'll try the exercise, thanks

Shit, user. That sounds awful. I take it you usually DM instead of playing?
In any case it might be best to talk with your players and ask to put your game on hold for a few months, then maybe spend some time traveling or hiking and getting away from it all to think. At the very least you might get some of your old motivation back, even if nothing else improves.

FUCK, YOU,

You know what always helps me? My girlfriend's mouth hole

I put a lotta work into my last campaign. Made an onlibe radio an entirely new landscape and xreated a lot of quests. One player only came for 3 sessions and another one came infrequently, making the group fall apart. Treid rescheduling but the guy didnt improve. He was a real life friend too and we had a lotta fun together. Then he just tells me he cant play or reschedule because "hes got priorities". Fuck that guy

>then maybe spend some time traveling or hiking and getting away from it all to think.
this, hiking is one of my favorite thing to do when I get the blues, also move out of your parent's house and make sure you're eating well.

Wow, that sucks. The worst thing ist, I actually liked writing the diary entrys and new adventures planning little things for every player etc., made me quite happy and happily anticipating the next sesson. Now there is just the unfinished last entry I wrote, and never gonna finish and notes for future adventures I never will use the way intented. I am not even furious or sad anymore, just disappointed and hollow. It just sucks, if you put energy and passion into something and nobodoy appreciates it, kinda get your feel. I hope for you, that you find a lots of good players to carry on with it.

Curse you
I didn't come here to directly empathize with a laundry list of relatable shit

>Have a group of solid people
>Running a game for them but none of them want to work together on anything
>Have to constantly run between the players and run solo adventure stuff for them
>Instead of 1 adventure I have to make 6 for each player
>Basically like running 6 solo adventures
>Have one player in the group who is very anti social but is a great player
>He is probably the main reason people dont want to work together
No idea what im going to do about this group.

It's gonna be a rough period, but you'll be alright. From my group one started coming less regularly after he started dating someone, then completely left after getting engaged and married to them about a year later.
During this same period one of the players distanced himself from RPGs and video games as well, and since all of us could only meet one specific day a week we spent a couple months just playing board games before we got back to playing RPGs separately after our schedules cleared.

I was part of a group once where one of the players wrote diary entries as well. I ended up leaving halfway through because I was losing the will to live because of conflicts at home and feeling isolated outside, but I can say that I wholly appreciated the diary entries. Even if nobody says anything, they probably enjoy the work you put on it.

I've been with this group of terrible players as the forever DM.
Forever DM by choice, since they're even worse as DMs.
When I say terrible I mean the "no impersonation, full metaplay, number crunching, rules bending, rule lawyer" kind
The only recent good game was a SW online game with some Veeky Forums guys met with group finder threads that broke up after the 2° because of some people flaking.
I don't even want to play anymore, every time I build a new world, lore, some houserules to balance/spice up the mess 3.5 is, since they can't/don't want to play anything else, beside that or Dark heresy, which is as bad if not worse imo (tried introducing them to SW and Shadowrun, both failed), but they suck the joy out of DMing so much that I always start handwaving stuff and forgetting things by session 2.
No investment on the lore, they ignore any hint I put on the way, and always seem to reach the worst-case scenario I prepared through sheer ignorance of the hints/no initiative.
I can't even try to make a serious campaign because jokes are on 24/7.
Am I just a shit DM that can't hold it together? I've tried every trick in the book and then some, but still...
Should I stop entirely?

Bullshit.

>disappointed and hollow
Yea thats how i feel. I also feel kinda insulted i mean when you're doing something you like and your friends join in you should atleast tell the other person that you'd like to stop or something
>It just sucks, if you put energy and passion into something and nobodoy appreciates it, kinda get your feel. I hope for you, that you find a lots of good players to carry on with it.

You too. If you're invested enough to write diary entries as a player you should find other people who are atleast as invested as you are

You should definitely talk to them about this. Thats way too much work for a GM and stupid selfishness on part of the players

good god leave those people what are you doing for yourself

look for new players and tell them why you're not enjoying yourself

>I can't even try to make a serious campaign because jokes are on 24/7.
That shits the worst

Seems like the problem is with your players, not you, user.

Try finding new people to play with, or use roll20 or something. Hell, get someone else to DM - I know firsthand the annoyance of always having to DM and never getting to really play.

From what hes been saying i dont think he should make a member of his group GM. They're not flexible enough and if they're this bad as players they're even worse as a GM

I don't mean from his group, I mean finding new players/a new DM entirely

I love my group, but they can be autists sometimes.

>Be playing human fighter
>Go fight some zombies for a town
>My character gets a nasty bite on his leg
>Other players look amongst themselves but otherwise say nothing
>Finish off the zombies, not a difficult encounter
>Before we leave for the village, the players ask what to do about my character
>Confusion.webm
>Ask what they mean
>All of them say that my PC has been bitten by a zombie and now I'll turn into one
>They can't let me go back into town because I'll become a zombie
>GM and I share a look
>GM explains that I won't become a zombie because that's not how it works
>Players seem confused at first but accept it and we move on
>Joke about it to this day whenever we encounter zombies

Pic related, my face throughout the whole exchange.

Ya i agree

>be me, a guy who stopped DMing but did it for years
>asked by friends who never played to DM again
>be naive and accept, then proceed spend hours preparing a campaign filled with "tutorials". Fights and scenari made with increasing difficulties. Starting at very easy level. Both small stories and an underlining bigger one.
>explain rules and help create characters. Give links to every book, asking to try to read a part of them, if possible. Answers question. Spend more hours on this
>after 5 sessions i give up
After 5 goddamn sessions, hours of explanation, they still do not have a single clue of the system, since they dont listen
>out of 4 players, one say nothing, one is always drunk/stoned/asleep, one spends his time on his phone disrupting the session with "hey look that funny . The last just do stupid stuff all the time. None able to the smallest of roleplay.
>no ability to create the smallest beginning of a strategy (all being irl vidya gamers...)
>giveup.exe
>proceed to get rid of them irl too for the bullshit i had to endure.

Yet, i decided to find a new group to play with. Go figure.

I do not want to play D&D, id like to play other systems but my group refuses to. Ive been forever dm for a while and when one of the other players stepped up our first session has three goddamn dmpcs, three minmaxed overgeared players and then me questioning why im in a party with a bunch of players who are effectively twice my level and are on buddy-buddy terms with gods. Ita disgusting levels of anime with furry dmpcs and two pcs, and i want out. I asked if i could leave but its only caused tension and now the dm is trying to keep me around by making promises of all this shit thats going to make my character so into the setting but yeah thats cool, its not getting ME into the setting. On top of all this in session zero right out the gate high power magic items got shit out everywhere and these players want me to DM after this game is done.

I fucking hate this and fuck d&d, i want to play shadowrun but thats never going to happen. I am sick of having to pretend like im happy and having fun and it sucks that if iboffer anything different to these shitters theyre all like "nah id rather just play videogames"

Post ending in 42 decides how i kill myself.

My group hasn't played in more than a year due to schedule conflicts and everyone generally being super busy. I know I should try something like going to one of those game finder threads on Veeky Forums but I feel apprehensive toward the idea because I'm pretty sure I'm a giant That Guy.

There's always online play. And I've got one guy in the Netherlands in the game I run via Roll20, who is older than you, so take heart - there is at least one other roleplayer in your country, and he's older than you too.

>want find a group
>there is a big tabletop club on my university's campus, so I can easily find people
>but I commute back and forth from campus via a ~1HR bus ride every fucking day because I don't have the basic self-care skills to live on my own
>swamped in schoolwork and doing badly in my classes because of my own laziness, bad habits, and general executive dysfunction

fbm

Don't

>people thinking GMing doesnt require a large amount of effort
>people thinking the world must be presented to them on a silver platter

fuck em

Get an apartment man

Do u need someone to talk to

Talking never helps. I cant enjoy anything anymore. Doctor said its not depression. I dont know what it is and i just want to disconnect from everyone so when i disappear nobody will give a shit.

This doesn't seem that weird to me. I know it's not universal but "anyone bitten by a zombie becomes infected" is a pretty common trope if they're "living" zombies. If your zombies are explicitly only things that are already dead then that's completely acceptable but it seems like a reasonable misunderstanding if the other players assumed the setting was using that trope.

> I dont know what it is and i just want to disconnect from everyone so when i disappear nobody will give a shit.

Thats depression. Your doctor is shit

I guess. It doesnt change the fact that i cant leave this game without causing a huge falling out, and if i stay in it the games just going to suffer until we have a huge fight and a falling out.

There is no winning move and i hate the natural instinct of self preservation otherwise i would have solved this problem already.

It's understandable if it's a modern zombie survival game. D&D, not so much, and that's probably what they were playing ("human fighter" and all).

Are you happy with the game and could you find a new one or any other alternatives to the game

The group im with accepts no substitutions. I offerred to run 5e and i got back "OH BABY FULL PLATE AT TENTH LEVEL MAYBE BY 20TH I CAN GET A +1 MAGIC ITEM"

they dont like how flat 5e feels or some meme shit like that.

I need a break from tabletop gaming altogether. Fuck it.

But yeah theres nothing wrong with newDMs game really, i just need out.

Definitvly talk to them user has the right mind. Maybe try a new system, maybe even something different. For Example, if your Group has played Fantasy Stuff lately, make no a Zombie Apocalypse Game, where not the Characters but more the Group of them is the focus. Not guarantee this will work, because I as I said when starting this thread seem to fucked up badly, but at least try.
I am not sure if thats the case, but it still helps me feel better. Thank you.
Don't. Not that, I wouldn't understand it, but even D&D is not worth killing yourself over. But, Jokes aside there is a allways another way, even if I am not sure what is in your situation. Maybe DM again something that carters more to their tastes but is not D&D? I don't know Shadowrun, therefore I can't really help you with that particular.
Yeah, kinda got that in my Group too. The Dwarf Player allways made Jokes about killing my character if he was low on health. Never did it, or would do it, but still fucking annoying.
>giveup.exe
Well, thats have never been my strength. Maybe I tried too hard.
Just tried it. Maybe its the blues hitting me, maybe its just the general exhaustion but even That Guys deserve love. Go for it, the worst that can happen is, that your story appears in the Next That Guy Thread. But seriously, give it a try.

I mean lets be honest if you want a game and they dont like it there doesn't need to be a game

You're the guy who creates the world and you cocreate the story with the players. Nothing would work without you. And if they dont like it, they can do something else

What im doing when im burnt out is just do sports or sometimes i just take a longer walk when its dark out

just gotta keep on keepin on

Im not the dm in this specific case. If i pull out its going to chain react and kill everything because of drama.

Are you playing with your friends or with randoms?
What are ur alternatives?

>everyone in group bullies me
>neglect, threaten, anandon, insult, and openly diagree with me in game just to make me upset
>enough is enough and I try to stand up for myself after complaining about it to them
>argue and fight one in game
>all gang up on me and beat me up
>get laughed at in and out of game
>get ejected from game but they keep me around just to shit on me
>can't leave, have no other friends
>sit here embarrassed that I even bothered to stand up for myself

Friends. I cant see any alternatives.

Want to trade? I wish i had your situation so i could just leave. If i had them all telling me they hate me and shit id be able to just dump all of that shit into the trash and never make the mistake of getting close to anyone ever again. Youre a lucky cunt but yourr probably just memeing.

I wish I was memeing. I'm naturally unlikeable so I was excited to get to play. I guess they just wanted me as filler so they could at least get started.

Rip. Try becoming alpha as fuck and just busting them up with quips, insults, and violence? Become power dad and eat beans before coming to he game, get drunk and obnoxious as fuck and make them regret keeping you around. Give them what they want and then brutally murder them with that fuckoff huge knife you smuggled in?

Sometimes people were never in love. Tell them early before it lasts long enough to hurt.

And don't invite them to your group a week before you're planning on leaving them.

You could play online

That sounds awful.

Being alone is better than being with shitheads

I want to stay around, user. I have no other friends. I would post the whole story to emphasize how pathetic the story is, but half of them browse Veeky Forums...

Post it. You like to be abused.

, so even if I found a group I'd be the oldest guy there by a significant margin

I'm 35, and most of the others in my group are between 21 and 24 years old. Even then, there's one dude in the group in his 50's. Age is not a factor.

Why?

Not taht guy, but all my online experiences were horrible: the only 2 parties I've ever found to be considered good by my standards flaked, one at the 1° session and my favourite at the 2°, the rest were either meme spouting younglings, not invested with the game in any way, flaking or a combination of the 3.
I would LOVE to play online, ffs I could send you my skype right here right now, but I'm too scared to be disappointed once it all falls apart after I've created and invested into a story/character

I feel like I've gotten WORSE at GM'ing as time's gone on, and it kills me.

I mean 2 good parties is still good parties
I'd be down to organize with skype but im not a native english speaker so that might be a problem

Yes, but they flaked, and the worst part is that the DMs were awesome, so I've never got to see the end (hell, even the start) of the stories.
So, out of 7 online groups, counting the ones outside Veeky Forums too, 100% flaked before the 3° game and only 2/7 had a decent (actually, very good) DM, while only roughtly 1/4 of the players were decent players.
I have come to understand why people don't like online play all too much

Better than suffering through a system you dont like with people you dont enjoy playing with to be honest

Kill your players instead

This

Don't worry, that box is checked by my RL group that I don't have the balls to leave because they're my only RL friends

Arent u listening to what im saying cmon dude

I've got a problem with one of the guys in my online group.

He's a pretty okay guy most of the time, fairly imaginative and a solid player. Problem is that he's both autistic and paranoid, constantly sees plots against him everywhere.

He's someone who's convinced he's totally unlikable, that we at best tolerate his presence and don't actually want him with us. Because of this he's constantly looking for signs that we secretly hate him and lashes out angrily at any perceived slight or attack. Anything less than full-stop no questions asked agreement with anything he says or does is taken as a flat out refusal to do what he wants, and thus a personal attack against him, even asking for clarification of his ideas gets him angry because he thinks you're stonewalling him.

He constantly starts fights and then acts like people are attacking him, if you tell him a rule that in some way inconveniences him he'll accuse you of making it up or reinterpreting it specifically to attack him, and has said that he's just grown used to being betrayed by fake friends and is waiting for it to happen again.

I just don't know how to handle him and it's making me rather sad. I'm a soft hearted guy, I just want my players to get along and have fun and be happy. And this guy can actually be pretty cool and a positive influence most of the time, but I feel like I'm walking blindly through a minefield whenever I talk to him, with no idea what will set him off and derail the entire session once again as he flies of the handle.

>Problem is that he's both autistic and paranoid, constantly sees plots against him everywhere.
How is he an ok guy if hes got mental issues that disrupt the game

Most of the time he's fine, he's actually pretty imaginative, makes interesting characters and actually helped me use his backstory to make a whole new direction for the campaign that ties into a personal quest for him and can help start off the next major story arc. He's not always like that, and when he isn't he's actually pretty nice to have around, it's just hard to impossible to predict when he's going to start another fight over a perceived injustice.

Well, you see, I recently received a ultimatum from someone from my group (I have a small group, and we cycle the thing we DM and play sometimes), something like: "If you are in, I'm out" and well, I was really upset about it. I choose to take the fuck out but I started to realize that I was a fucking bro for quite a time, and I don't deserve this shit and it's not upsetting me anymore, now I get fucking enraged with this bullshit.

I used to be like that. My condolences, user.

The worst part is that he refuses to believe us when we tell him we actually want him to be here and we like him and want to play with him. He's convinced we only barely tolerate him, that when we say we like him we're lying, and that we'll inevitably betray any trust he gives us.

He's like an abused dog that's been kicked so many times he bites first because he just expects it.

It saddens me.

I feel like I am the worst RPer ever and I dont know what to do to fix it. Especially when I cant figure something out, I just kinda go quiet.

I know youre not talking about me, but i am kinda like that guy. Part of it is because i dont feel like im worth hanging out with, and the other part is because secretly i hope im right and i would love it if they told me that im shit and just tore into me and ostracized me, itd give me reaffirmation that im human garbage and it would be just what i need to fucking kill myself instead of clinging to a shitty little thread of hope that there is something worth living for.

Post it. They shit on you. We shit on them. Everyone shits on each other. Sounds good to me.

So one of the players in my group has left, for an indefinite period to go play D&D with the folks he grew up playing with as a kid. I really can't blame him for going but it's still sad.

That is pretty rough. Do you guys still keep in touch? Even if you don’t play together, you can still share stories about your current campaigns. Heck, you’ll probably get twice as many to tell, now that you can hear about two different games.
Good on you for not holding a grudge though user.

Don't delude his expectations then