/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Chad Roleplayer's Edition

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything — Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything — New Player Options and Spells
mega.nz/#!U7RkBJrI!76abnPsumdl4qV_KnYObbDP5g7cAV4yvpJCVJlHjrUk

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Thread Question: Based on what you have read so you feel like XGE introduced more powercreep into 5e?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kLnvrocetq8
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/94009/rickventure-and-mortyal-peril
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Didn't they nerf a lot of shit?

Wedding: You touch adult humanoids willing to be bonded together in marriage. For the next 7 days, each target gains a +2 bonus to AC while they are within 30 feet of each other.

Nothing stopping me from stacking wedding ac bonus.

Not as much as SCAG with those shitty cantrips

>Thread Question: Based on what you have read so far do you feel like XGE introduced more powercreep into 5e?*

The best options in the game are still in the PHB - XGE hasn't powercreeped anything.

user, spells of identical names don't stack.

When do you think a second printing of xanathars will happen and what errata and fixes do you want to see in it?

Can you be divorced in 5e?
Can you renew your vows through this ritual every 7 days?

This gives me an excellent idea my one buddy would sure as fuck go for this, and it would make the douchebag overcompensating homophobe in our group so uncomfortable.

More? SCAG cantrips were not exactly power creep.

This might be the first instance of some power creep outside of UA. Not even the EE player’s had much if any.

>Boss fight coming up
>Force mass-weddings at the local village
>Make them tag along behind
Your options are A; take out the cannon fodder while I carve up his back, or B; try to get though my 200 love-powered AC. Checkmate, Ancient Dragons.

I feel like there's so many Intelligence based saving throws that might destroy everything, considering Int saves are the Monster Manual's weakness.

Xanathar is a cute
Isn't he supposed to be some underworld boss?

Not even with multiple spouse with in 30 ft of me?

They'll stack, but in the sense that everyone benefits from it once.

Our party has an artificer who the DM is being very friendly towards in regards to magic item creation as long as he learns the formula (At least for basic uncommons, he straight up said though for things like gauntlets of ogre str he wont allow it)

We've recently gained an immovable rod (myself having to burn a 3rd level slot of Fly to go get it. Thank you two lore bard magical secret picks, of which Fly was one of them.)
How can I convince the party that it is absolutely pivotal that I have no less than four of these rods as soon as possible over their extra +1 items? (which they already have one of)

Our Artificer isn't convinced of how serious I am and thinks I'm joking, to the point it's starting to become a meme in the group. Even the DM doesn't understand why I need so many.

If you want to be a faggot that's on you. If someone hates faggots he won't play with them. You're probably just a faggot who assumes anyone who doesn't laugh at your faggotry must want to see you hang by a noose even despite the fact he's willingly playing in a game with you.

Nah not really, the strongest stuff added was maybe hexblade, and healing spirit. In combat though, healing spirit is a pain in the ass to actually get the healing out reliably, so it balances it out kind of. I have also never played with a wizard past level 3 so I can't say whether or not the new spells for them specifically are busted at all.

You don't get high up in the world being a grumpy fuck most of the time.

No, but you get cover from ranged attacks if you place them correctly.

He is mad, even for a beholder.

Xanathar is fucking hilarious.

>Tfw no 5000 AC bonus for Mormon NPCs :(

Would shield count as cover too? +2 ac with the +5 cover from range

I think tower shields and Tortles do.

Seeking feedback mostly on the mechanics end, but fluff appreciated as well.

Nope, straight. This guy is just a class A cunt

>Introduce an NPC, for whatever reason we figure out he is gay
>Its like the first gay NPC in forever
>Wasn't even forced, was discovered due to just general RP (The one was that we showed up to a guys house at like 6am to pester him about shit and eventually a guy in his pajamas eventually enjoyed us for coffee)
>"I can't believe DM introduced another fucking faggot into the game"

I'm very much in the "love or fuck whoever you want as long as it isn't hurting me"

Why do you need so many?

He's a crime lord in the depths of Waterdeep. And has been there for a long time (I think he was first mentioned in a 2nd edition book).

He's just crazy. Even for a beholder. And the fish may or may not be a cosmic entity he dreamed up one time, but he's had that fish since his origin story, and at least two hundred years have passed between then and now.

Xanathar is clearly an Undertale character. It's not like the devs don't like Undertale. I'm a disappointed, but not surprised, that Human Determination didn't find its way into the final book.

Human Determination
Prerequisite: Human
You are filled with a determination that can draw the unreachable within your reach. You gain the following benefits:

Increase one ability score of your choice by 1, to a maximum of 20.
When you make an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can do so with advantage. Once you use this ability, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

I don't like faggots either.
I'm not going to stop anyone, but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy faggots. I don't talk about fucking women, you don't talk about fucking men. It's really fucking easy.

You have one of the many recent examples of the alt-right and "14/88" crowd coming out of the woodwork.

>You can detect evil and good.
Jesus just call it Detect Good and Evil.

Maybe give Resting Watcher a bit of a nerf (That you need to sleep once every 3 days or something)

Other than that it seems fine. I would kill myself if i ever played with you though depending on those traits.

>A creature can benefit from this rite again only if widowed.

It not stopping me from marrying more than one spouse per ceremony. They only need to be willing adult.

Here is my question. If you were to happen aupon an NPC in your DM's world who was gay (incidentally, not like super flamboyant screaming I LOVE COCKS gay), would you have a fucking fit over it OOC?

Like we have never gotten close to a scenario where we walk into a room and two guys are going to town on each other, at most it's more of a "yeah, he is probably gay" as we chat about the days events sort of thing.

And OP, as much of a Chad that Travis looks like, he's actually a really good player who tries very hard to not meta game and stick to the stats of his character.

14/88 yes, but the alt-right is just a meme made up by the MSM and coopted by e-celebs to hawk their shit. Literally have a gay jew as a self proclaimed face of it

So, does the Kensei's agile parry not work when you use the bonus action martial arts unarmed or flurry of blows? It states 'If you make an unarmed strike as part of the Attack action' which neither of them technically are.

Is this based on those lion-dog statues? I like it a lot, but on the surface, it's almost furry.
I think I'd prefer it to focus on statue-like nature, perhaps.
Half of the quirks are cancerous.

Again, chads are often the best roleplayers, better than autists by far.

Technically the Cleric would have to be able to touch all of you

I know, he is one of the few redeeming people on that show. Literally the ONLY time he metagamed at all I can think of is the Kevdak fight (As Laura made a plan with him OOC when their characters probably couldn't communicate in game)

Use your Action, grasshopper.
If you want the benefit, give up your weapon attack.

>Here is my question. If you were to happen aupon an NPC in your DM's world who was gay
I would ignore it and seek to interact with that NPC as little as possible, since I think not associating with people who engage in behaviors you don't like is something everyone should do.

>humanoids
How discriminatory.
Should be sentients.

>healing spirit is a fucking bonus action

who the hell thought this was a good idea?

Nope. Multiples paladin also dont stack their aura.

As a Mormon, I laughed.

Does 5etools no longer have spell lists?
Does it not have Xanathar DM rules?

>Literally have a gay jew as a self proclaimed face of it
This the most silly shit about the supposed alt-right

>would you have a fucking fit over it OOC?
No, but I have to wonder why the DM would have a written a gay NPC if he weren't gay himself. I have never thought about, created, or encountered gay characters in RPGs as a player or DM, so it does seem really out of the ordinary to run into one.

Matt let the stat rules bend a bit for Travis during the Kevdak fight, as this was probably the one thing Grog would've spent multiple days/weeks/months/years thinking about. So the plan might be ridiculously simple, but it was a plan.

Somebody who really likes druids

Thats fine with me user, as long as you don't go into an uncomfortable rant outside of game or derail a session (Like you wanted to stay at camp/take a walk every time people went to visit him, and very begrudgingly have him in your party with zero interaction if necessary to the plot)

?

To look up a specific class's spell list is what I meant.
They moved the dropdown menu into the Filter catch-all menu, I found it.

Because we're running Tomb of Annihilation

Im straight and have never even been curious, but sparingly I will inject a gay/bi NPC just because I like to have a diverse range of characters in my worlds.

True, and even if not if you are a Barbarian who only gives a fuck about fighting with time to stew in a small magical room the first action you are going to take is "kill something"

Is that grog

What I meant was, you didn't derail a session by throwing a fit that people want/need to interact with the NPC. Instead why they saw him opted to stay at camp/take a walk or something, and were willing to work with him if no other options were available

So you only play self-inserts? Or is every possible character you play going to have the exact same moral code as you do with regards to sexual behavior?

We can even expand this line of inquiry to the point of absurdity, as so:

1. Do you personally find murder objectionable? Does that mean you can never play a character that murders or kills anyone?
2. Do you personally find theft/stealing objectionable? Does that mean you can never play a character that steals from anyone?
3. Do you personally find deception or lying objectionable? Does that mean you can never play a character that is deceptive?
4. Do you personally find torture objectionable? Does that mean you can never play a character that tortures another character?
5. Do you personally find adultery objectionable? Does that mean you can never play a character with an adulterous background or backstory?

Something tells me that if you applied this principle of yours ("my characters can do nothing that I personally find objectionable IRL") universally and fairly across the board, then you'd barely have anything left to do at your gaming table.

Ye, he was prepping for the one-shot he just ran (Which was dumb as fuck in the best way)
youtube.com/watch?v=kLnvrocetq8

>Jesus just call it Detect Good and Evil
Yeah, I don't get why WotC made it that way either.

>Maybe give Resting Watcher a bit of a nerf (That you need to sleep once every 3 days or something)
Is that an issue with keeping watch while sleeping or a more flavor thing where they can go without sleep? If the latter, I can get behind that. If the former, Warforged have a similar ability.

>I would kill myself if i ever played with you though depending on those traits.
More of a general idea, but yeah. Even in Volo's, there's a few quirks where I'd feel the same.

Yup; for a not-east-asia pet project. Current criticism does extend to the furfaggotry angle, but it's difficult without making them literal statues. And even then, they still have that taint of animal-features despite history.

>half of the quirks are cancerous
Between you and the other user, you're the first to really comment on them, so I very well will turn down the quirks of "xD laffs" normie humor.

>So you only play self-inserts?
I only play characters who don't like faggotry, yes.
I CAN make any character I like, but it's relatively easy to make every character have an aesthetic preference that objects to faggotry, and I see no reason to make a character who likes faggotry.

It's like objecting to the fact that every character a person makes happens to like omelettes with ham in them - it has virtually no impact on character distinctness because an aesthetic preference itself generally has almost nothing to do with personality or goals.

You're really weird

Does anyone have a roll20 game I could join? IRLfags always too busy to play. Still relatively new

>I only play characters who don't like faggotry
Why do you sound like one?

>No, but I have to wonder why the DM would have a written a gay NPC if he weren't gay himself.

Let me flip it around for you: why would a white DM run a non-white NPC if he himself is white?

Your likely answer to me: because populating the world with different ethnicities and cultures might be part of his world-building, to add flavor, vibrancy, give players a sense of a fleshed out world with many different customs and traditions, etc.

And now, here comes the epiphany: that's the same exact reason a DM might run/write gay NPCs in his world as well.

XGtE added everything I wanted for the warlock. A shadowfell patron, the ability to animate zombies and skeletons, fiend summoning spells, and an ability that gives you a pet ghost (wasn't expecting it, but am so stoked for it). Powercreep or not, as a warlock main l XGtE is the first splat I'm genuinely excited for.

I didn't say anything that isn't coherent or clear.

Why do you?

I'm not the one screeching.

>I didn't say anything that isn't coherent or clear.
That doesn't matter, you're still really weird.

Most people make characters that reflect certain aspects of themselves.

Usually those who are vehemently against murder struggle to do senseless murder in D&D, too, though it's not a definite rule.
If someone really doesn't like short men, it doesn't mean they can't or won't ever play a dwarf, but they're much less likely to play a dwarf.
If someone plays an elf druid, chances are they're into that sort of flowery nonsense. It doesn't mean they are an elf druid in real life, of course.

You sound pretty REEEEE to me.

I adore myself and think most other people are absurd, so whatever bruh.

You can be clear about what you're saying and still be strange.

>synergy between thieves' tools and perception proficiencies give you advantage on Perception checks to find traps
How does this make you feel?

Hahaha, keep being a literal ultrafaggot.

ha got em xD

>I would ignore it and seek to interact with that NPC as little as possible, since I think not associating with people who engage in behaviors you don't like is something everyone should do.
What do they engage in that you don't like? Is it the sucking cock?

As a player: A-OK

As a DM: I don't use that many traps anyhow, because they generally slow down the flow of a game.

First user
>Yeah, I don't get why WotC made it that way either.
Glad you caught on it was a slight toward WotC and not you
>Is that an issue with keeping watch while sleeping or a more flavor thing where they can go without sleep? If the latter, I can get behind that. If the former, Warforged have a similar ability.
I actually didn't know Warforged thing exists. Carry on then. I think the latter is nice flavor and kind of already exists in real life
>More of a general idea, but yeah. Even in Volo's, there's a few quirks where I'd feel the same.
>Between you and the other user, you're the first to really comment on them, so I very well will turn down the quirks of "xD laffs" normie humor.
I might be a little biased as I just had a one shot over VOIP with a guy who took a similar humor style to the limit. 6.5hrs of it made me want to die, but he WAAAAY over did it.

I'd say keep them as they are, and it should be up to the player to keep it in check. Like for instance if they picked #6 and it eventually got to be too much they should grumble it under their breath instead of being loud about it.

Anyone want to play some 5e at like 7pm GMT weekly?

You fuckers are all talk.

faggotry

What weekday?

>Hey DM, I have History proficiency, I should know if this place is known for its traps.
>Hey DM, I can play a mean match of Dragonchess, do I know anything about this place as its history may be connected to the game?
>Hey DM, I have expertise in investi-
DM saying Fuck off in 3... 2...

That's a gay thing to say

What are the optimal level splits for EK/Wizard?

>playing with sperglord channers trying to out-edgelord each other
why would you subject yourself to this?

sodomy is homosexual you queer

I'm already in two games and DMing a shadowrun game on top of that

> All my characters are morally ambiguous
> They all act like idiots and don't watch their tongues
I always thought it was funnier that way

you can sodomize heterosexually

Whatever works. Let's say Tuesday for now.

For every shitpost in this general there's some genuine laffs. Maybe I'm being generous with the ratio I'm sure we could get a decent group together.

Why is there no Mass Protection from Evil spell?

>See this
>Guy I have been waiting to hear back from just PM'ed me inviting me to a Session 0

Don i-i-i-is that you?

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/94009/rickventure-and-mortyal-peril

Please. Please don't subject me to this. Please someone help me.

This looks familiar. How old is this hmanga?

how the fuck are we supposed to generate new greentext stories if we don't set up games for people to sperg out and be edgy in?

Tuesday is no good for me

no but get me into your session 0 lol

haha Monday haha?

>app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/94009/rickventure-and-mortyal-peril

I don't know what's worse: That it even exists, or it already has 7 players signed up for it.

Let me give a slightly dramatic retelling of my group's final sessions.

>DM tells us sadly we'll have to end the campaign because work is getting in the way
>only been playing for a few months
>we're sad but want to finish the easy side-quest we were given
>kill a giant
>DM had a major plot going on that the veils of the planes were thinning, and that it was leaking into our world(told after the game ended)
>from creatures being turned into hosts of these gateways to some even willingly becoming a host
>turns out this giant was a host of the elemental plane of STONE

Before continuing, I'd like to explain during this whole campaign(we were level 4 during this) that it had become known that things that were supposed to be lethal or dangerous were instead beaten easily by us. To the point the DM kept ramping up the encounters in frustration, with us easily foiling it via smart plays, tactics, or just straight up luck.

>DM thinks this encounter will be a cinch
>turns out it was a CR 5 giant modified with abilities, which in turn likely made it a CR 7 or 8 giant
>against a party of four level 4s
>it spanned two 4 hour sessions in the end

>we first made our way to a grassy clearing, with boulders and stone-like things surrounding this giant
>our plan was quite simple you see, we would attempt to negotiate with it in hopes of trying to sort this out peacefully
>we learned there was a giant quest that was finished a week or two prior in the same area, which we assumed was likely this giant's wife/mate
>so in order to calm his rage our nature cleric wished to approach the giant alone, no weapons drawn
>with a merry skip to his step, he waddled his way to the giant and tried speaking with him
>for safety precautions he cast sanctuary on himself
>however there was a big problem we had not entirely considered
None of us could speak giant.

Cont 1/?