Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

When was the last time your character/party got really bamboozled? What happened?

/pfg/ Link Repository: pastebin.com/YLikTing

Current Playtests: pastebin.com/vK9njh31

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/trap-the-soul
d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/soul-bind/
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/94678/from-gallows-to-gridlock
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bamboozled by the plot or by another character? Because the former happens all the time...

Well, one time, my party was meant to go to Molthune as the next big arc of the campaign where we'd get land and rule it, but that just never happened.

Now I'm interested in how you'd build it if it's allowed. Last I checked, the Iroran Paladin builds I've seen keep armor around and use it to dump Dex. They keep weapons until mid-game too.

Bit of a weird question, but I recently got invited to a pathfinder game after some years of being out of the hobby.

I remember, in a thread weeks ago, someone mentioning a pathfinder class that could summon weapons like something out of Fate. That sounded interesting, but I cant recall the name of the class. Any idea what they were talking about?

That's 3PP content.

Like I said, been out of the hobby for some years. Whats 3PP?

It's a variety of 3pp options that can do this to differing degrees of Fate and what you want. But if your DM doesn't let 3pp into the game you're shit outa luck

3rd party product. I.e. not made by Paizo.

First session went reasonably well. mostly it was combat introduction.
brabarian's role playing is currently limited to grunts, and I need to check his attack modifier because he is only getting a +2 and he has +4 to srt when not raging+bab+ +!sword
Nature oracle was a bit weird, making everyone put the goblin dogs and troll back together so that she could sketch their remains, but she did a nice job dropping hypnotic pattern and color spray shutting down 2 different groups of enemies
Paladin is small and mounted on a dire bat, doing ridiculous damage on a charge, but she was a little miffed that she couldn't hit enemies with an AoE like the oracle.
They captured almost an entire tribe of goblins instead of killing them. the barbarian is trying to teach them common.

Honestly, I dont know my GMs stance on the subject. Is it reasonable 3rd party content, like from a publisher of some kind, or literally just some guy posting it on the internet?

Either way, I cant present it for consideration if I don't know what its called.

>GM """"forgets"""" you can ignore some DRs
Motherfucker was applying full DR 10/cold iron or silver, DR 10/lawful, DR 10/magic when I can bypass it

Punch him and see if he has DR.

If you can add Cha twice you won't need armor, you can already start with 18 Cha, that's like a chain shirt, from that only gets better and armors can't keep up, of course, if you can stack both

>Dumping Dex
No, you either have it at 10 or at 12, 12 preferable, never below 10

Explain the "Ignore" part though. If you can bypass, you can bypass, but does "Ignore" here mean just "not apply because I can bypass it" or "some special condition allowing the ignoring of the DR without having the needed special material or alignment component needed to bypass it"? Either case though, tell the GM that he is a bad person for existing and should feel bad.

Did you know that in the recent-ish reprinting of the Book of the Damned, the Create Soul Gem spell was nerfed? Besides having its expensive material component increased from costing 25 GP to 500, the soul gems created by the spell now only last for 1/day level. What's even the point of using the spell now? I can understand the changed material component, if people felt it was too easy to leverage the spell into a profit at 25 GP a cast (the soul of a commoner is worth 100 GP) but entrapping someone's soul in a something like a gemstone forever is like a fantasy classic for villains. To rub salt in the wound, the new version of the spell doesn't even touch on what actually happens when the spell's 1 day/lvl duration runs out.

I'm just disappointed because my plan to torment and eventually murder an NPC, trap his soul, and sell it to a devil after mocking him for a few months won't work now.

It's easy to forget who has what and whatnot, just notify him that your attacks do that when you do the attack or else it easy to just forget it

You can use soul gems in place of material components basically for spells or crafting. So you can kill a man and use his soul to fuel a spell to turn him into undead. Or kill the big bad, steal his soul, and use it to fuel the raise dead spell.

You need higher-level spells for that.

d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/trap-the-soul

d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/soul-bind/

Iroran paladin's AC is limited by their class level so it won't do too much at the start

It's from a well known publisher.

>Your damage deals 0
>GM, I deal these types of damage
>Yes, and you deal 0
Days later a player told me I should be doing full damage, and it makes sense taking into account the type of monster, I don't want to read the AP but this added to other stuff that has been going on makes me think he went full "Me vs Players".

Also I suppose the day limit is to prevent spellcasters from hoarding soul gems to craft a phylactery in one go if they're hoping to become a lich. Gotta get crafting and early.

>Armor (4)+Dex (whatever)+1(Cha iroran1)
vs
>Cha (skaled fist 4) + Dex (whatever) +1(Cha iroran1)
Doesn't matter, is literally the same at level 1, and from there it gets better (if you increase Cha) than armors

Stop playing coy, user.

How's my favorite group of saddo sadmen doing? Still wanting to kill yourself while not having the courage? Have you tried playing Pathfinder? It seems to help you guys (if anything does).

I've got no idea if you've ever got the kind of knowledge checks to back it up, but maybe tell your DM that your character will focus their learning on what kind of resistances monsters have (AKA "Please tell me about DR first when I pass a knowledge check on a monster"). Then he can't "forget" what kind of things overcome the enemy's DR after telling you.

That's lame though, you'd really think an aspiring-lich should be able to. Becoming a lich is already a practically campaign-long goal, so it's not is it that bad to allow a PC to expedite the process some if they're willing to put the effort in?

Seems rough, next time try to get someone to use knowledge on the monsters since that lets you know what defenses they have and if you still deal 0 damage then you know he's fucking you over

But it also means you have to be an Iroran Paladin which is not that great

It doesn't matter what it is if you don't get it allowed. It's a soulknife from dream-scarred press with the Psychic armory archtype from one of the soulknive's expanded pdfs.

Thank you

True, those first few levels will hurt regardless. One dip in Scaled then, any further commitments or you just going all in on Paladin?

You could give a bit more information beyond "creates weapon like in (video game not everyone has played)"
Soul knife or one of the archetypes is what you want, they have another class called Aegis that does the same thing with armor. and the metaforge prestige class that trys to balance both

Why is Iroran Paladin so bad?

>Reading 3 chapter of an AP
>Last pages premade characters have at best 20 AC, at worst 16 AC
>As 7th level chars
>Against monsters that have 16+ to hit
How these fuckers survive??????!!!!!

There are actually two different ones
Psychic Armory archetype for the Soulknife from Dreamscarred Press, and the Soaring Blade archetype for the Armorist from Drop Dead Studios

Rocket tag, usually.

don't forget the shingchi warrior from the creation sphere handbook for SoP

Well you can still use the soul gems to begin crafting that phylactery. You just have to start early and hope you get those rolls early on. It gets easier as you level.

They don't. Almost every Pre-made PC is TPK material

I don't like it, many features are just downgrades from regular paladins like Sense Perfection, they don't get Flurry or Style Strikes nor do they get Ki powers. So all they really get is unarmed strike progression at half level of course and a Ki Pool with basicly nothing to spend it on

I ask myself the same question everytime I look at a AP

Don't worry the Cleric prepared Cure Light Wounds

>In the 4th chapter (10th level chars) the highest AC is 25
>When 3 levels before monsters had 16+ to hit
No, they don't rocket tag, they still are waaaaaay below what they should have to survive, there's no fucking way these characters survive, on average monsters hit them 95% of the time and only because nat1 is a miss even if you pass the AC

>Cleric prepared Cure Light Wounds
This will never not make me angry

>Cleric's face when

What do you think rocket tag means, user? Why do you think every guide says that initiative is golden and AC is lackluster after 5th level?

No Flurry, doesn't actually count as monk for feats, no untyped AC/CMD bonus as you level, unarmed scaling is dogshit, class features are made weaker/nichier for reasons.
You CAN burn 5 levels on PrCs to get Smite Evil as character level and a way to burn ki to use it, provided you go a monk that isn't Scaled Fist. Which is eh.

Can you, though? When do you actually spend money during the crafting process? I thought it was at the beginning of the crafting process, meaning you have to spend all that dosh (and thus soul gems) up front.

But the iconic Cleric only has eyes for the Iconic Rogue, not the iconic Fighter. Unless the iconic Mesmerist is around.

>iconic Cleric only has eyes for the Iconic Rogue

the highest initiative is +3. Monsters have +6 on fairly basis, even if they win the initiative and they attack with a +11 against monster's AC of 30+ will mean they hit with half the attacks, while monsters hit on everything but nat1s.

Clearly the iconics have strategies that we mortals cannot comprehend

user, are you looking at the pregenerated characters for running an adventure path?

Paizo never tested them,, played with them or anything, they're just character sheets never used, why they're alive? because Paizo doens't want them to die. Will they die if they're played? 100% yes.

I was, clearly is a bad idea.

Despite the iconics being notoriously poorly built, stuff like this makes me wonder if ya lot aren't that good at anything other than looking up guides.

Why does Kyra only look slightly miffed about what is happening instead of doing something productive to stop it from happening?

I BET THE JEWS DID TH--
>Star of David necklace
Holy shit, they actually did do this.

oh I remember when my first gm tried to use them as npcs, we get into combat and he looks at teh iconic ranger's sheet and notices he is getting AC from his chainshirt and bracers of armor

Find me guides for most of the 3pp that people use here that are updated to within a year or so. Most of us here don't really think about 1pp only, or """"low magic/power"""" campaigns with shitbuild iconics.

It's more like that they have no chance of living at all, I think the wizard in CotCT has less than 20 hp in book 3-4 or something

That damned Rogue cheated on Kyra in one of the Pathfinder comics too, although I guess it wasn't canon since it was a crossover with... something else?

Merisiel had gotten the plot Mcguffin an reunited with Kyra, but went all like, "There's something important I still have to do, I'm sorry but I must go" and then literally ran off after getting Kyra's blessing of trust to hop on a boat with some other lady, toss her the Mcguffin, and then make out.

>Despite the iconics being notoriously poorly built, stuff like this makes me wonder if ya lot aren't that good at anything other than looking up guides.
What are you asking here?

You don't have to spend it all at once. Across many books there's mentioning that you can put down a project to resume later on. Largely it's up to the DM on how that's handled, I rule that something like a potion will have to be done in one go or the brew goes inert while something like a belt, gloves, boots, wands can be put down for a later date.

The psion guide gets updated regularly. It's how I made some fun additions to my current pc.

based elf of cuckolding

When and why are cutscenes fair game in Pathfinder or similar systems? You know, where the DM dictates to the players for an extended section of time what happens while also exerting some amount of control over the PCs, ranging from something as subtle as implying they don't do anything because the villain has to finish their monologue to something hyperbolically bad like saying the PCs run away from some enemies?

What I am asking is why are you using a picture I've been saving for a good shitpost and whether or not people plan ahead and buff without seeming like my bait isn't at least decent quality chocolate instead of a month old blob of pork that's gone gray and started gaining sentience.

Personally don't mind cut scenes for villain monologues, so long as the PCs are never forced to do something.

Actually made me laugh

going to a pathfinder game tomorrow, i made 3 level 6 characters

elven witch with a focus in archery,
armored hexing Magus with fly
goblin unchained rogue shadow dancer with martial weapon proficency. I saw the rogue talent thing which allows you to teleport with allies

the party needs a rogue and a tank, the witch just seems fun

I think that's largely how the group handles it. One game I was running had a villain monologuing his plans and the evil cleric deleted him with a prepared spell. He mentioned to me quite early situations in which he would behave so as to be prepared for him. Thought he was gonna let story happen, he had other plans. He proceeded to turn the villain into a intelligent undead, take control of him, and forced information and more out of him before redestroying him. At that point 5 pages of campaign notes and contingencies were out the window. Frustrating for me but there's so much a story can hold a party captive.

Pal, you've got to calm down. I still barely get what you're saying.

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/94678/from-gallows-to-gridlock

i grant you, game.

>Mede
Pass.

Should I be worried to apply? What garbage behavior he known for?

I like this chargen. Is lewd mandatory? Because I don't.

The question should be "when why and with whom" because I've seen Pcs buts a nut because the GM took control over an animal companion/familiar. PCs also suffer from pic related and I have the emphasize that their character knows that the they cannot take on whatever monster is there as a plot device, and that I'll only let them roll initiative if they have a backup character sheet ready.

no.

this isn't even intended to be lewd.

So, what's the tone? And what kinda characters will be useful?

Are we doing social stuff, or is it pure dungeon crawling?

So which class can a party of four all roll to play and get either most amount of fun or hilarity out of?

What's your schedule like? Mine is extremely limited so I'd rather not trouble you at all if I don't fit into whatever.

>fun
Bard

>hilarity
Also Bard.

If they're weaker roleplayers, they'll probably still have fun with four rogues and an appropriately scaled game.

If they're strong roleplayers, four paladins.

bards and barbarians. I would still give anything to play an all bard rock group

its called 'skald'

Yesterday

I run a game for two other people, and one of them volunteered to run a game. The other player had something come up at the last minute, so we spent the time going over our characters for each others games, and setting up the plot.

One of them is helping with Velsharoon's ascension, so I'm letting him pick his divine gift. We also had to figure out how to force a divine gift from a LE deity onto a NG dwarf cleric of a neutral deity.

skald m8

Cleric, Inquisitor, Bard, Alchemist, Vigilante, and Occultist are all capable of mono-class parties

Alright.
People here are always on about how X Y and Z are mechanically bad, right? Maybe they are and I understand that in this system there is nothing if not a massive pile of bad choices to be made mechanically. And I can understand that in a normal environment these choices may and probably do/would lead to several characters deaths. However, from my personal experience I know that even the most silly design choices for a character can be made moot with some planning ahead and having a cohesive strategy for bad situations, such as my party's favorite Dimension Door Surround Balooza and the Berlin Wall of Sound, which makes fights generally a lot faster and a lot smoother, despite most of the party having low AC and meh saves for the most part. Sometimes I just feel like when I read how people here go on about how certain choices make a character useless or dead they are assuming that the only way to play this game is to eat all of the enemy's AoO's or to have a race with your party on who can kill the enemy first rather than working as a team to ensure everybody else survives. It just feels like some posters here dismiss the power of not-sitting-there-like-a-lemon and wait-maybe-I-shouldn't-do-this and favor big numbers.

Four ancient paladins who go around 'membering the old days and calling everybody a whipper snapper, condemning things like Deus Vult memes and Lawful Genocidal.

Those characters seem fun, good luck with the game

>four rogues and an appropriately scaled game
I heard about that game.

essentially, you're someone without the proper hardening of an adventurer that comes from/ends up in a dirt farm town with little provisions. your town has been forsaken by local adventurers guilds as not being worth the effort to save due to the lack of hospitality/riches.

all of a sudden, you get the chance to get some quick cash and move up the social hierarchy as a hired arm to man cheliax's (the nation that holds yours in a chokehold) new project, a stronghold on your land.

there's no real basis on which characters would be better or worse, but socialites will probably have a harder time due to the lack of resources in the community hence less favors to ask. but, they might prosper when they're actually in the position of a cheliax guardsman. who knows?

my classes are done, so the sky's the limit brody.

it'll probably be determined by the players

Aw, I just got switched to evening shifts. This sounds really fun, though. That sucks...
Hope you guys have fun though

gets heated a lot

Wouldn't the main plot point of this be easily solved by having Isger sue for the aid of The Order of the Chain to set up this super-power? I mean, they already have practice making inescapable super prisons already

Severe depressive episodes, tending to sever all contacts and go into hiding for brief periods before coming back and trying to rebuild bridges. Occasionally breaks contact entirely for impulsive or emotionally-driven reasons.

Two separate party ideas; all bard, all barbarian. The question was Which class could every party member play for fun and hilarity.
I know about skalds. All barbarian party would tax the inventive plot device handling of the GM because the barbarians are going to murder fuck their way through everything, ignoring notes, clues, stupid talky men, and non shiny magic objects

>with some planning ahead and having a cohesive strategy for bad situations, such as my party's favorite Dimension Door Surround Balooza and the Berlin Wall of Sound,
Congrats, now you know why Wizards are Tier 1

Sounds like my type of DM.

So, darker, nastier, low fantasy tone, with comfiness and light-hearted adventure pretty much non-existent?