WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>Previous Thread(s):

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/1fxhq
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Obligatory

Silver or gold or the trim on this? the hue of the armor isn't showing well, but it's a warm grey glazed blue

gold

Name the bits?

I'm in. I would post what I'm workin' on but I A: Don't have a photobox, and B: Haven't been able to prime anything new in about a fucking month now.

user, even with your notes I can't tell if the model is bare plastic or not. I think you should do a pauldron of each color and see what you like best because whatever it is that you did does not photograph well. Silver will probably pair better since it's more complementary than gold.

Guardbros, has anyone tried cutting down the scion lasguns? I'm trying to make Warhawks I hate how long the scion rifles are.

Stripping metal models here. What is a good way to scrub them? Even after 1 week in simple green, a toothbrush wont get the paint out of the recesses

Scion body, legs, arms, and backpack, Admech head, Greenstuff for the belts. Chains are small jeweler chains or sculpted, Gun is a bolter with an extra barrel put on it. Sword is probably some empire kit. I have no idea if I should be proud I can distinguish this to some degree or ashamed. I do a lot of conversions though

What can I do to improve my chapter master?

Hell of a kitbash user. Maybe drop the inquisition sign on the left pauldron unless your dudes work closly with them or it's for deathwatch. Either way, it's got more customization and characters than most armies. For some reason, I think a standard barer behind him might be cool

Oh that's a truncheon from the admech kits, stuff on the belt are just basic stuff from IG kits

Thanks man. I like using the I just to mean "Imperator". Even on Earth symbols can mean different but related things across cultures, whether its a cross or swastika. I feel like in a galaxy of trillions the I can come to mean different but related things.

Also my chapter icon is a fasces, going along with the roman and totalitarian theme of the imperium in general and my chapter specifically

Let's try again.

Got a Beastmen Regiment box.

Dubs decide what I try to do with them. No guard regiment.

Thats a cool use of flying baby deamons

I havent but looking at them the process should be fairly easy. You want the barrel to be shorter right?

Yeah, specifically the bit that looks like a heatguard or something along those lines, but with that gone the scopes look even more ridiculous.

thanks

Yea that's definetly an issue. Maybe you could try the barrel just a little bit shorter. Just long enough that it reaches little bit over the scope. Or try removing the scope.

>Or try removing the scope.
Probably what I'm going to try and do, may try and shorten it

10 malefic lord beastman!
Feel the WAAC, be the WAAC.

May the Emperor guide your hand.

Hella sweet

Modified Predator Annihilator for my reasonable-marine-themed army. Needs a companion and a couple of basilisks (which I will modify to have enclosed casemates) to go with them.

Anybody know of a good shoulder pad to use for Tzaangors? Making a tzeench themed blood bowl team and while the models are great, I think they need some kinda paldron to make them more football themed. Only thing I've been able to come across is Sisters of Silence shoulder pads but they don't quite fit the same armor aesthetic.

Any ideas?

Is it possible to make a wash from normal acrylics?

Good lucking stuff user, working on a company of chads of my own.

>take acrylic
>add water

Done. GW paints are simple acrylics.

What'd you use for the ERA panels? Thinking of doing the same on my tanks.

KILL ANYTHING WITHOUT A BEARD

His beard and hair color makes him look unfinished.

what could i do to improve the beard?

I'm making a count-as warband for Shadespire, with a SCE paladin and three gryph-hounds. This guy will be the stand-in for the leader.
Still a lot of work to be done, obviously, such as fixing the damaged gauntlet and making the axe bits allign right, but do you guys think the overall theme works? I was going for a beastmaster / tracker concept, sort of like he entered Shadespire with only his faithful hounds at his side.

I dunno paint it white or Orange?

Guys super neutral outside the red in the blood. Hell black would be a good idea to ground him.

i guess i need to properly layer a white instead of trying to drybrush it. i gave it another agrax shade, and ill layer it back up.

Give him black and grey streaks through his hair. AKA look up wow dwarfs for the look you want.

This

I think user is trolling us. That looks like bare plastic to me

Not gonna lie the blood and snow looks amazing tho.

So, picking up my Chaos marines again. I did this scheme a while ago, but now I'm wondering if I should stick with it or if I should go for something closer to GW standard.
I mean, clearly the look is a lot closer to their Pre-heresy colors, but do they still give the impression of The Depraved?

Finally decided to take a break from my Tyranids and GSC to try painting some terrain.

Took waaaay longer than I thought to do it, even though I was using some pretty big brushes and quick methods. It's just such a large model.

Obviously this isn't my best painting, but wanted it to at least look nice for the table top.

1/3

It needs a wash of agrax earth shade and then lightly brush the hairs with your grey to bring the color back up.

2/3

How softt are the bristles?

thanks breh. i dont care about the canon or whatever I was just so stoked to finally see huge marnes that I came back into the hobby after mad years and blew allt he money Id been saving. totally the right call.

okay, hows this?

Are you leaving them to soak long enough and scrubbing them before you rinse?

I noticed there's kind of a timer that resets after they come out of the solution and the paint essentially reapplied itself to the model.

just drop them in paint thinner. metal models don't break down the way plastic does.

resin bricks from greenstuffworld

Much better imo. Has more natural look now than in the first one.

thanks. he made a friend.

The grey on the other dorf is way better. What did you do different?

the runepriest i guess i just spent more time doing. plus, the final layer was celestria grey, but the dorf on the left was white scar. i guess a grey looks more natural?

when does necromunda release?

A true white like white scar is always gonna llok unnatural for something like hair. Try Ceramite White.

IF you wanna be a real badass in the future remember that freshly drawn blood is warm and melts snow. So putting a depression and divets wherever there is blood spatter will really drive home the effect.

Im interest in joining, however I was wondering if you had some examples of what I should put in the box? like should I be putting in a few boxes or clampacks? what have people gotten in the past?

another one

It looks really comfy user! I really like how bright the bronzes are on it! All the terrain I ever see is super muted and it is really nice to see some bright terrain for once!

Where's murder Santa with his power cane?

I didnt save that one :(

imgur.com/a/1fxhq

Aw fuck yea

Oh, why thank you user. I mostly went with the bronze because my only other choice for metal paint was gold, and I figured that would be too gaudy. But I definitely wanted to break up the standard grey with something.

perfect- thank you anons- I'll sign up in the morning

This paint job is awesome, how did you do it?

To the user that introduced me to paint.NET, I think this is the scheme I settled on. The second half is my friends chosen scheme.

This is the upgrade army kit figures, the teal got hella fucked on this though.

Thoughts?

Finished the Visarch.

black armor is so much harder to paint than I would've thought.

That is hella impressive user!

Thanks! I'm particularly happy with how the crone sword came out. I tried to make it look more ancient than the rest of my armies power weapons.

Not a massive fan of the purple, what's the inspo behind it? Maybe I'm just not seeing it.

Basic sand coloured base, "shaded" with AK Interactive Streaking Grime. Damaged paint is a very dark grey sponged onto the more exposed bits and the lenses are white, shaded with black, glazed with a deep blue and then highlighted with pure white.
Simple, really. For the best results, paint the tracks on the sprue And attach them after the rest is done.

Its just my favorite color, I was trying to find something besides their canon orange/yellow look.

In reality I'd want it to be a darker purple, i just am not great with the hue shift deal.

I always wondered what sort of scale that mini was, like I assume the mini's he's painting are from epic though is the johnny shooped in since I didn't think they made one that size

I really want to do this, but I'm fairly certain that there is absolutely no one in my region to pair with

I think it's already out

It's up for preorder. Ships around Thanksgiving, I think.

Why not just give it a go? There most likely is someone close enough to you to not make the postage a bitch.

Where are you from?

Right now I live in Japan

One already signed up from Singapore, I don't know if that helps you

Up for preorder now. In stores 24th November.

>water
No.
You need acrylic medium because water doesn't let the pigments flow the same way.

I said this prior for a Euro that was worried, if they person you get is smart they'll buy in a manor that will benefit them cost wise. I'd find a place where I can buy local for you, and ship it local. Saves dosh and is smart.

That's my plan for euros/non-americans atleast.

Grey Knights

On the shadespire bandwagon. Kept things conventional.

I'm interested, but would everyone be sending a rough idea of what they want, or do I just send a blind gift? I wouldn't want to gift a vehicle to an user that hates painting vehicles.

imgur.com/a/1fxhq

Here are pictures of last years gifts

Oh fuck, misread your question
If you want, you can include what you collect/paint/whatever, but you dont have to.
I always enjoy not knowing what I'll be getting, I see at more as a challenge to incorporate it into my hobby

I think few threads ago organizer said that yoi can put your want list if you wanted to.

Oh hey, it's Elric and Stormbringer.

Those look amazing - especially the bases, that fucking marble looks gorgeous.
What paints specifically did you use for it? That looks so fucking GOOD GOD DAMN

>marble
>without marbling

Hugh Woatmeigh?