/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

All Things ORC Edition

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything — Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything — New Player Options and Spells
mega.nz/#!U7RkBJrI!76abnPsumdl4qV_KnYObbDP5g7cAV4yvpJCVJlHjrUk

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

In light of XGE and its racial feats, is half-orc now truly the King of Martials?

Dragonborn hide feat is a scam.

>Anything without access to Elven Accuracy
>King
Lolno. Sure, it's the best STR option, but DEX martials are, and remain, superior overall.

>In light of XGE and its racial feats, is half-orc now truly the King of Martials?

You mean halfling, right?

>Arcane Archer can learn either druidcraft or prestidigitation
>when prestidigitation is strictly far more useful

I get WotC is trying to give people choice, but what the fuck are they thinking? Do they think people are really gonna pick druidcraft?

People going for a more druidic/elvish bent for their AA probably will.

>The claws are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes
Which one is it, WotC?! Natural weapons or unarmed?!

>fighter can either be an EK or an arcane archer
>when EKs have far more magic-using potential
I get WotC is trying to give people choice, but what the fuck are they thinking? Do they think people are really gonna pick druidcraft?

can someone post the feats, they arent in the OP

check trove

Someone explain how Orcish Fury is good. You can only add one damage die once every short rest and the reaction attack is tied to another feature that can only be used once every long rest.

We need to give druidcraft more uses, I say.

It's good because it's so bad you will not take it and do something better, rather than being fooled into trying to use something middling.

>It's a Chaotic Neutral acts like THE WILDCARD from It's Always Sunny and gets me killed

FUCK YOU FOR PUSHING ME BECAUSE I HESITATED IN FRONT OF A DOORWAY

I'm all for constructive criticism, but yours is just childish bitching and crying.

If people will mostly take prestidigitation, so what?

>If you don't take the absolute best thing for everything you're shit
Fuck off and let people make characters, not builds

>BECAUSE I HESITATED IN FRONT OF A DOORWAY

While what they did was a dick move, did it ever occur to you to, oh I don't know, step to one side?

Or rather, let people make what they want, because the options you consider superior are not always required for viability or success.

How good is Zealot Barb? I'm debating between Arcane Cleric and Zealot Barb and it looks gimmicky as shit.

So the grave cleric mark for death ability work like the following
> Target with path to the grave
>Paladin ally roles to hit and succeeds and chooses to smite
>To take advantage of this I allow that attack have the vulnerable effect on the target. Will vulnerable status effect the damage of the smite ability as well?

I literally stopped and turned to the party to ask them if we should go this way and he pushed me backward

prepare to never die if you play the zealot which means you pull of high risk suicidal plans with less fear of losing the character.

Seeing as paladin smite is effected by crits, I have to imagine yes, the vulnerability applies to smite as well.

>people think wizards got it the best in XGE
>they get a shitty subclass and a couple spells
>martials get new optimal archetypes
>Sorcerer gets divine soul
>Warlock gets hexblade and celestial

Posted in last thread but want more answers:
>DM'ing for 6 players
>lvl 2 party
>in mini-dungeon
>they beat the boss, get to his treasure hoard
>guy finds "fine boots made of green leather, accented with gold" (boots of elvenkind that i put in for his character to get)
>guy sets them on the ground while he looks through the rest of the loot to divide it among the party
>lawful evil paladin claims the leather boots for himself and immediately asks if he feels any different

Paladin is now level 3 and has taken the Oath of Conquest.

>man literally to angry to die.png

Yeah they sure got screwed on all that sorcerer exclusive magic

>allowing evil alignment characters
This is your problem.

>he takes boots
How is this bad?

ranger got pretty awesome subclasses as well.

slime people race: y/n?

Honestly with these subclasses I think core Ranger is usable. Gloom Stalker, Horizon Walker and Monster Slayer are all solid and boost damage, Hunter was good as long as you pick the right options and use them but Beastmaster is still shit.

Needless to say I still prefer Revised Ranger, but with these options I would actually consider a Core Ranger.

So now that XGE is out (sorta), and given us a whole bunch of new player and DM options, what setting would you guys like to see get a sourcebook? I know they're both kinda longshots, but I'd love to see Spelljammer or Planescape.

What was the original question?

>lawful evil paladin
YOU FUCKED UP RIGHT OUT OF THE GATE

I don't know what the "question" is, but if you put magic items in that could benefit anyone, then you run the risk of someone else in the party taking them. That's just what happens. In this case, the paladin is also going to want them because they'll cancel out his disadvantage on stealth.

If Guy 1 is the designated sneaky guy, then create a situation in which he has to go sneak by himself to try to get him to ask for the boots in-character. If LE paladin doesn't get as many good chances to use the boots as sneaky guy, he shouldn't be upset.

Sounds to me like guy either needs to quit being a bitch and take his boots back or accept his role as a Peon in the Paladin's Conquest. It isn't the DM's job to make players give each other their toys back, even if they were custom made for him.
Also, custom making equipment for your party to find is retarded and you shouldn't do it, because this is the kind of shit that happens.

Honestly something with Points of Light or another more grounded setting. Preferably something new and interesting that's still kinda generic enough to not be going against tropes for the sake of it.

As for established settings, Dark Sun. Mad Max tabletop adventures is fun.

What's a good HP Sponge enemy to turn a Dragon into with Polymorph that's relatively low threat that will let us deplete it's health while at much less risk

only for lewd campaigns

What this guy said.

If you want a specific magic item to go to a specific character, you don't just toss them into a big treasure pile and expect the entire party to be smart and generous enough to hand that magic item to the character who would benefit the most. You have to come up with a situation where that character would be the first to discover it and make use of it.

Now, this character, he WAS the first to discover it, and dumb ass set it aside, and acted the cuckold when someone else laid claim to it. So you're actually in the clear here as DM. But next time, you might just have to literally hand him what you want him to have, via NPC.

how lewd?

Has anybody ever hombrewed 5e mechanics for lewd campaigns? Creative use of grapple checks and the like?

Wood elf Drunken Master, what is his backstory, what drives him to such self-destruductive habits

by being the most heathen type of elf, of course

accidentally burned down some of his forest
resorted to alcohol and it turned his life around

Oh you haven't seen the Sex 5e homebrew?

He was raised by dwarves, not knowing he himself is an elf. Grew up with all these dwarves talking shit about how shitty elves are. It wasnt till he came of age did he learn that he was actually an elf.

his name should be Pally

Responding to last sessions question about powercreep.

>Subclasses
I don't think there is a single subclass in XGE that is powercreep. There isn't a single subclass in XGE that is stronger than a PHB counterpart, and not multiclass munchkin combo is stronger than the standing sorcadin cheese.

>Feats
they do nothing

>Spells
There's actual, significant power creep here. Most notable is the breakdown of the very specific wording and text used previously in spells to make their activities seem crystal clear. Next to that, some of the spells are just outright busted. The only reason why the new spells list doesn't break 5e, is DM fiat including an introductory clause on the spells section that explicitly calls out the DM as one who introduces these spells- they aren't, by default, part of any classes' spell list.

>Wood elf

Fucking writes itself. Wood elves are the niggers/injuns/Irish of elven civilization.

Nope

Most of the time, Zealot barb is a barbarian that does more damage than other barbarians. It's like good berserker.

Always had a drinking problem, home was destroyed while he was off drinking, left to join a non-drunken master monastery. Also was destroyed, so picked up drinking again.

Core ranger's problem still starts with having the worst level 1 features.

Killer Whale?

after looking at the circle of dreams druid subclass and there relation to the fae been thinking of making a character similar to (pic related) is it feasible

It's not good at all, but Hunter is playable and easily not the worst or least fun option around.

Honestly I like the revised natural explorer, but I fucking hate being locked into 2 favored enemies even if they are broad. If the do make it o you can chose which of the features you want I'll take all revised ones with the original favored enemy.

I prefer revised ranger but RR is overly frontloaded with the 3 significant combat bonuses that Natural Explorer provides at level 1. I also think primeval awareness is too strong, and the PHB version is better. I also like RR for figuring out how to fix beast master, Fleet of Foot, tweaks to Hide in Plain Sight, and Vanish, which feel like exciting features of a Ranger.

I'm playing a Hunter ranger right now. I've got Hordebreaker going well, but there's no real improvements in sight now that I'm level 5.

Mari Lwyd is your answer.

>Wood elf Drunken Master

He neglected his family because of his drinking problem, and would participate in brawls whenever his money ran out. Eventually a traveling master took pity, showed him the error of his ways so that he was greatly ashamed. He decided to leave his old life behind and and follow the master, who showed him wisdom but also taught him an unpredictable style of 'drunken' fighting. Now he's back on his own, starting to slip back into old habits, and eager for coin..

>Horizon Walker and Monster Slayer are all solid and boost damage

Do they though? They basically just get ghetto versions of hunter's mark that procs once a turn. Sure they stack but there's some serious bonus action starvation going on. I kind of have a similar issue with Gloom stalker, but I won't deny it's usefulness in being able to burst down something turn 1 and then get perma-advantage in darkness vs. anything with darkvision.

>Punished for making thematic choices for your character.

That's just bad design.

That's my main issue with Ranger. Their damage potential pretty much universally caps out at lvl 5 for some odd reason.

9th level conjure animals is the next mark.
I think default Ranger is just bad. A Hunter does "ok" at best. I hope any DM allows RR at this table, even if it is frontloaded.

>You have to come up with a situation where that character would be the first to discover it and make use of it.
That's exactly what happened, though. Guy 1 found the treasure pile, found the boots, took them, and then placed them on the ground so he could divvie up the rest of the loot to the party because he's not a hog who takes all the gold for himself. While the boots were on the floor, Paladin Player took them.

You didn't read the rest of my post, did you?

Lots of damage and minimal fear of death is a very powerful combination.

>9th level conjure animals is the next mark
Is there a way to use conjure animals in combat (or any conjure spell really) without annoying the entire table by slowing combat down by a decade?

No

I don't play barb myself, but even though the 1d6+1/2 barb level seems super underwhelming, other actual barbarians have been talking about how good zealot is, so clearly I'm missing something.

We hella lewd slimes now?
Drew this up this slime shota for the occasion.
Fuck it, off to F-list, better not get too off topic from 5e

Is it just me or is dream druid really fucking solid?
As far as I can tell you can heal while wildshaped and don't have to waste spellslots in doing so.
Also while not wildshaped you can now bonus action heal and also cast a spell. Potentially healing.

And the hidden paths feature can let you teleport yourself and another provided you use both your action and bonus.

I'm just beginning to explore, but seems like a really powerful support class.
Any other really powerful support options out there? Any really good healing options? Celesial warlock seems good as well.

No, I didn't. Not until after I'd already made that post.

yeah just looking over the barb paths they dont get too many options for extra damage mostly survivability and mobility so an extra 1d6+1/2 every turn seems good

It's all about that massive +Str modifier from getting boosted to 24.

Talk with the DM before hand, explain to him that Conjure Animals is a major strength milestone for the Ranger. Tell the DM that is will always be 2 Dire Wolves, that the stats are ready to go on a sheet already, when they are conjured them they always appear in the nearest unoccupied spaces flanking the Ranger on each side, that the two Dire Wolves share initiative and act one right after the other(alternatively they act just after Ranger's turn), that everything can be rolled for those Dire Wolves in a moments notice, and that there is no interest or intention to make the wolves perform complicated actions. They simply exist to bite, fight, and defend, taking targets down with the Ranger as a wolf pack would do.

One player (arcane trickster) of mine seems to often trivialize some encounters with sneak attacks, find familiar lets her get advantage on most enemies I put the party up against. Besides just targeting the familiar, does anyone have any recommendations on how to occasionally take away that sneak attack without making the player feel powerless?

I just want to play a sick-ass skeleton but nobody will fucking let me and WotC are idiots for not having made a player race of skeletons 10 years ago.

Actually the more I do the math the more Desert looks okay for a Storm Barbarian. Compared to a Zealot they only have to get 2-3 people to be dealing same/more at all levels. So it's not a complete trap.

>bonus action
*puke*

Just roll with it. And instead of trying to "clip her wings" by scheming ways to deprive her of her sneak attack (the one and only thing that makes Rogues relevant in combat), just lay into her directly and remind her how little HP she's actually got.

Druids have always been in the top 3 classes of 5e. Dream Druid is really solid, Shepherd Druid is really solid, Land Druid is really solid, Moon Druid is really solid, Druid Druid is really solid.

I mean, you could play a revenant

Rogues are built to basically almost always have a way to get sneak attack.
Remember, advantage is not the same as sneak attack. You can get sneak attack simply by attacking a target that's next to an ally.
However, attacking with advantage also grants sneak attack.
Remember that the help action only gives advantage on the next attack so if someone else attacks that target first, they get the advantage, not the rogue.
Don't try and gimp the player for playing optimally. Best you can do is either inflate hp values, include more minions for them to deal with, or have some AoE fuckery that will occasionally whipe the owl. But don't be a dick and force that.
Also, consider that not every encounter has to be a combat encounter. If they built a character to excel in combat, be okay with that. 5e combat is mostly a slog anyway, so be thankful it doesn't take forever.

What are the other two?

no stay

Yeah I just meant compared to the other druid options even.
Healing for example in 5e is often a meme and the most useful healing spells are things like healing word because it's a bonus action and ranged.
Now you can heal while a birb and you can do it from relatively early on, repostion yourself and allies, and also save spell slots. Not to mention, can heal others AND cast a 1st level or higher spell spell, something most cannot do. Bretty good.

I've never related so much to someone on Veeky Forums in my life

Not him but I'd say probably bards and clerics.

You're not supposed to take away the Rogue's sneak attack, they're designed such that they can execute Sneak Attack with a little bit of planning 9 times out of 10 (assuming their attack hits). That 1 out of 10 comes from having disadvantage and no advantage, or generally being caught alone and outside of their act.

You're probably keeping to too few creatures to fight per battle- a single throwaway 1/4 CR creature can out a familiar in the first round even. Rogues tend to panic when they get grapple/restrain piled and actually get hit by multiple creatures because they can't skirmish behind disengage/dash and uncanny dodge.

Bards and Clerics

Be a human that wants to be a skellington.
Undying Warlock just wants to be like his patron and take the invocation that let's you disguise self at will. Always choose skellington. Confuse paladin's when they don't recognize you as undead.

What about the literal friendly fire?

Would it break sorcerers to let them ignore the one leveled spell per turn rule for quickened metamagic?

Tried out a crit fishing hexblade build tonight, worked fine. Main disadvantage is that everything died too fast for the full combo to really be worthwhile.

>Half elf hexblade (bladepact)
>18 cha, Elven accuracy, Great Weapon Master
>Cast darkness
>Use Hexblade curse on the enemy you want to disappear
>Go on a fishing expedition with 3d20 pick highest attack rolls with GWM

Just having 3d20 GWM rolls all the time proved super helpful and deadly.

Thanks, I seem to have had the wrong perspective on this.

It would make them incredibly powerful.
Two fireballs in a turn is pretty nuts.

Perhaps experiment with house ruling something like:
If you cast a spell as a bonus action it can be of no higher level than half the spell level of the spell that was already cast as an action. And vice versa. Of course, not applying to cantrips.

I think Shepherd is actually better. Bonus action summon a mobile aura of 30 foot radius that can grant upfront 15 temp HP to the whole party and advantage on strength checks (aka every bonus action shield shove from the fighter), or turning single level 1 healing words into a 10 hp AoE heal. Recoverable on a long rest. That's about the equivalent of 3 combats a day that the Druid is going to enable his party to completely wreck.

And then it goes to turning Conjure animals/woodland beings/fey into the most crazy efficient spells that synergize with your mobile aura. You can just play Commander Druid using Healing Word with your small army of adventurers and animals/fey.

No worries. I'm glad you asked and got perspective instead of making a kneejerk reaction and clipping their wings as another user put it. Willingness to listen and seek advice is a sign of a good DM :)