/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything — Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything — New Player Options and Spells
mega.nz/#!U7RkBJrI!76abnPsumdl4qV_KnYObbDP5g7cAV4yvpJCVJlHjrUk

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/
Warlock dming next campaign to kill or at least free him from his patron. Kill the pit fiend. Is pit fiend and balor the lowest I can get?

What official book should I read to learn about how to run waterdeep?

SCAG

Oh yeah? Thanks

The 2e supplements on Waterdeep.

what's the best sorcerer archetype for sorlock assuming no UA?

paladin

Is the Hexblade's flavor growing on anyone else?

paladins can't quicken EB

Divine Soul for general utility and support (full access to the cleric spell list)

Draconic for blasting (choose fire)

Shadow if you want to cast save or suck spells, as you get hound that is a better heightened spell, and for darkness shenanigans

So, I know the current /5eg/ hype wave is all about XGE, but there's a new KP Deep Magic that just came out and isn't in the trove yet.

Divine Soul if you want cleric spells for free.

Draconic if you want extra HP and always-on Mage Armor.

Does a spectre remember it's life?
Could a Hexblade use the soectre to gain information from a defeated enemy?

Does Divine Soul use WIS or CHA for spells?

Still uses CHA, you just also get to choose cleric spells. They become sorc spells as soon as you learn them.

I think I'll go divine soul if no one else in the party plays cleric, draconic if someone decides to do so

OotA or CoS for a small group of newer players? How important is the triumvirate of front line, DPS , healer?

>How important is the triumvirate of front line, DPS , healer?
Not at all

CoS, hands down

and not important at all for home games

Neither, both modules can seem very unfair towards newer players. If I had to pick, OotA.

As for the 'triumvirate', 5e lets you blur the lines a lot, but having at least one party member who can learn Cure Wounds and/or Healing Word is very helpful.

Is Chadmaster still the most powerful wizard?

Where is Bard's Gate 5e?

Magical secrets

>Is homebrew shit still the most powerful wizard?
Of course

So how hard we talking here, 2 players know some shit. One is clueless.

Depends on the campaign, but not very, especially since most classes can fufill at least two of those roles, and some like Paladin and Cleric can do all three.

>KP
I tried that once and it was terrible

tbqh mate the only acceptable books is the PHB and the DMG.

I think I'm going to rebuild my AL wild magic sorcerer as a Divine Soul just before I play at level five the first time. What spells should I pick besides fireball?

You should stick with wild magic and not pick fireball because wild magic lets you cast fireball for free anyways.

I mean the strongest kind of party in the game is a full Dex fighter sharpshooter commando squad. Get one skillmonkey Bard to Stoneshape open walls or invisible the entire party and surprise one-round everything.

Then you should be fine as long as the 2 players who know some shit take charge. CoS and OotA are both VERY sandboxy, so indecisive players will only stall the pace.

In my experience, newer players expect to be put at least on some light rails, and might be paralyzed with too much freedom.

Wasn't asking for opinions m8, just looking for someone keeping the trove up to date.

Healing word with Twin Metamagic can pick up two downed allies at a time. Cure Wounds Twinned is just good healing utility in general.

Noy even AL legal

Is my understanding correct that your blade flourishes with a college of swords uses scaling inspiration die? So, you use a d8 at 5th instead of a d6?

While also killing or downing yourself and the party.

I-Is that a jojo reference??

THAT STANCE

yare yare daze

What is it?

Elemental Magic. Sorcerous Origin, Warlock Patron, Arcane Tradition, feats, and spells.

Looks like more Caster Supremacy to me, because that's totally what DnD needs more of.

>kobold press
Ugh.

It's 3rd party, man. Nobody is forcing it into your game.

Wait, you didn't hear about the decree?

shit, follow me
*lowers voice*

being a martial fag is illegal in 2017, they burned every copy of 4e and any homebrew that strengthens casters is MANDATORY, punishable by death, you also have to keep a detailed log of your sessions for group inspection day

Is mystic OP?

Had a paladin of one of my games leave because he couldn't handle the pure combat utility I could do with it. He admitted to never reading it, and there were other issues with him but mainly it was the Mystic v3 he couldn't stand.

I honestly think he was just pissed off i was upstaging him.

>group inspection day
Can we make this a meme /5eg/
Like gainz goblins or another board centric meme.

I'm making a Matador sword Bard and have decided to start with a level in Sorcerer for Con saves, Absorb Elements and SCAG cantrips

With that said its hard to pick between Storm and Divine.
One gives a boost to mobility while the other one gives you access to Guidance and Healing Word which you no longer need take as a Bard spell

What would you do in my place?

Good. I'm glad those cucks who don't enjoy Role-playing as an enlightened and intelligent wizard are finally being put down so I can resume my fantasies of easily defeating Chad and manufacturing a girlfriend with my rationality.

Jawohl, mein Zauberer!

>giving a shit about AL

>forced unfunny meme
no

You can try the pdf share thread

>Is mystic OP?
yes

I need some advice. I have an NPC who has a crush on a player character and has effectively been given a golden opportunity to speak her mind. In a letter from him he asked her to find someone who can get them to his hometown (Which is currently overrun by undead and a Death Tyrant) as quickly as possible via magic and in return, he'll do anything she wants or get her anything she wants. She was successful in finding someone who can do just that.

The party won't be in town for much longer than maybe a day before they go to that party members hometown. So what do I do? Should she wait and bring this up later after the party member is less stressed and panicky? Do it now because they might not see each other again? Or go with them (She's a 6th level Artificer and the party consists of 7 people at level 10) just to make sure that he is safe?

Only if Milhouse can be a meme

Can a mathfag help me out?
If you had the choice to make a normal d20 roll or
two advantage d20 rolls and pick the lowest of those two
What would be better? Is the average the same? How's the distribution? I tried doing it in anydice but it's beyond my current capabilities.

>two advantage d20 rolls and pick the lowest of those two
Do you actually know how advantage works?

whats your court mandated wizard like?

we were assigned ours this week and things were a little tense
he refused to take off his uniform (even the hat) for the whole session and all we could do was nervously laugh when he said our groups war cleric was "a little too martial" for his tastes

every now and then he'd take out this black notebook and angrily scribble something down

It is pretty overpowered and badly balanced right now.
There are some small tweaks you can add to bring it down to the usual character progression. Here's some text from 5eg about mystics.

>Outside of one or two overpowered disciplines Mystic's a jack of all trades. Good power economy thanks to psi points, but their power flatlines well before standard casters do. Versatility is a mystic's strong point, but advantage on checks (which is most of the power of focuses) is neither as reliable nor as effective in scope as Bard or Rogue expertise.

A lot of complaints about Mystic come from people who don't play them and imagine a table where long rests grow on fucking trees. They're just sitting around theory crafting the perfect Mystic with these specific disciplines doing the cheesiest shit every round forever because they get infinite PP somehow.

A Bearbarian is still a much better tank than a Mystic, an EK is arguably better, and no Mystic is ever going to be the kind of autoattacker that any martial (even non-Fighters) or Warlock could be. Mystics lack good blasting capability. They're never as versatile as bard/rogue who are the best skill monkeys.

Animate Weapon + Lethal Strike + Knock Back. That's their Smiting mode, and honestly, a DM can shut that down if they want to read the powers a certain way, outside of the usual "no because I said no".

They can do a lot of damage, but unlike a Paladin they commit resources BEFORE they know if they hit or not, so you can blow your nova load, and miss for 0 damage.

While wizards can tailor their spells quite specifically. Mystics learn Disciplines as groups of abilities, so they're more limited in selection. Their advantage is that they can use focuses where Wizards have to resort to spells outside of the limited amount of rituals they know. At the same time, their power falls off after level 10 once they reach their psi limit, while a Wizard keeps on gaining power.

Two advantage d20 will obviously be superior as the odds of both 20 and 1 increase yet the latter's weight is muffled by the former

Two instances of a d20 roll with advantage on each, taking the lower end result of the two instances, is what he means. He could have worded it better, but you should have reading comprehension above a 4th grade level.

At low levels, the mystic is incredibly versatile and powerful. At the higher levels, not so much. It's a very very front-loaded class.

The real problem with mystic is that it's abilities are explicitely not spells, and thus don't follow normal casting rules such as component requirements, can't be dispelled or counter-spelled, and can't be defended against with typical features that defend against spells, and good disabling a mystic short of rendering them unconscious or dead, they pretty much have the Sorcerer's Subtle Casting feature on all the time for free with no resource investment.

Oh, lets also not forget how passing a save against a mystic ability still slaps you with a secondary effect debuff 90% of the time when passing a save for a spell almost universally cancels the secondary effects.

I'll try to be clearer.
>roll with dvantage
>roll another with advantage
>now you have two results
>pick the lowest of both

Contextualizing, say the first scenario was a guy sneaking normally vs two guys sneaking together, both with advantage

I know you. Didn't the artificer make something for a party member only to find that the member died in their latest adventure, then she gave it to the fighter or ranger or something?
Glad to see she hasn't died yet though.

Have her confess on the way to the danger, then join them in the fight then get mortally wounded trying to save the PC?
Idk, I'm not really a romance/planner/DM.

Which would be impossible, my severely autistic friend.

Run it quickly by excel, you end up with roughly 0,5 to 1 digit higher rolls on your autistic method than just flat D20, tested on 999 rolls per die

There's a mystic in my table and long rests grows out of trees. He does everything and more. It's unbearable, I'll drop out after the arc we are ends.

You realize what advantage gives you, right?
If both are made with advantage separately, both of the higher rolled numbers are used.
Only if there's a situation imposing disadvantage is the advantage cancelled out and you roll normally.

afaik they can be dispelled, but not counterspelled. and they can be detected with detect magic and nullified by an anitmagic field.
Gnomes advantage against magic should also work against these features.
>still get debuff despite passing the save
I didn't know about this one, which mystic spells do this?

No. It's a garbage class that has no backing in literature, barely works withing the baseline warlock fluff, fills no mechanical niche and is mechanically bad to boot.

Yeah, now that you say it seems clear, but still I'd like to graph it out somehow. Say you have to roll high, then I don't know if it would still be better.

Now ain't you a dum-dum.

Oh, thanks senpai.

I contextualized it here, friendo

tell your DM to man up and seek changes to his mystic progresson. What level are you, after 11 mystics shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Also try to get the DM to split longrests into a few short rests. Maybe interrupt a long with a short to benefit the short-rest characters.

Oh wow, someone remembered me cool.

So she goes with them, and on the way confesses when it matters. Okay, I like it, I'm not a romance planner either (nor do I want to force it), but I'm sure there has gotta be a moment when that could come up for like a 2-4 week trip.

Are you autistic?
See

I interpreted those as "If they pass the save then all that happens is they take half of the spell damage" but a DM might read it differently

Yeah man, I gave my share of feedback more than a couple times and waited it out, jack shit changes. I'm also on the extreme side of cucking since I play as a Fighter. I just want some closure and then I'm out.

>It's a garbage class that has no backing in literature, barely works within the baseline warlock fluff,
Explain in detail please. What's wrong with the current fluff?

are you a girl?
I'm just saying that it might be weird to RP a waifu for your fighter bro if your a guy.

Who cares?

>no backing in literature
I fail to see why that one matters

Hey as soon as someone donates it.

How about you?

Just roll a hobgoblin and use light armor prof + 2 martial weapons (which can be turned into sword and board if your DM lets you swap 1 weapon for a shield prof)
Hobgoblin is alright for wizards because it gives +1 int and +1 con/dex (im not sure which one)

I don't get what you don't get. Can't you read the simple contextualization I put to see a scenario where that might happen?
Here's another: a lone mastermind trying to cross a rope bridge by his own vs he and his other mastermind buddy going together and helping each other out

I am a guy, I don't think being a girl would make RPing that any less awkward though.

We've got a cool one. Our party is just two lore bards and a land druid. Our court ordered wizard joined in and said he felt right at home. He even politely left the room for a smoke break when the druid said he wanted to transform into a bear and get his hands dirty.

Go read the book and read up on advantage.

>He even politely left the room for a smoke break when the druid said he wanted to transform into a bear and get his hands dirty.

kek, now that is some real rapport

They don't, some fags intentionally misinterpret things just because they didn't explicitly say it doesn't happen, ever though that isn't how logic works. Instead of being written
>if fail, x damage and y, if succeed half x and no y
It's written
>if fail, x damage and y, if succeed half x.

You're either retarded or trolling. Either way, last (You) you get.

I volunteer as tribute.

dropfile (dot) to/NZ6cP1u

As mentioned, your method is completely autistic. I would still advise you to read the book.

>t. Wizard mad Warlocks got something good

It absolutely is mechanically good. 80 damage eldritch blasts on average. The hexblade cantrips are dealing more damage on average than 5th level spells.

>3rd level rogue
>10hp

Should I kill him off and restart?

So roll 4d20, pick the second highest?
Don't over complicate it, and just do it the normal way, and have it be a nornal roll, imo.

What did you say?!

Not technically the 2nd highest.
Of 20 v 19, 18 vs 1, using the autism roll method, you'd take the 18.

Deep Gnome or Variant Human w/ Resilient (Con) for a Wizard?

minotaur with +str +int