Why are people so afraid of other genres? It is almost always fantasy

Why are people so afraid of other genres? It is almost always fantasy.

Other urls found in this thread:

blogofholding.com/?p=7182
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's more, it's always the Alliance of Humans, Elves and Dwarves against the Undead and the Drow, sometimes with a dash of "the orc hordes have united".

Fantasy is the easiest and most-fun setting to roleplay in.

Fantasy is the purest escapism with the most established examples for familiarity. Nothing is impossible, because magic. The world is familiar yet infinite.

No one is afraid of other genres, it is simply a preference for the familiar. The pseudo mideval setting common in fantasy allows for the idealized natural world and societies so far removed from modern civilization.

It's so blatantly obvious, how could you not get this?

>Fantasy is the easiest
This. I wouldn't say most fun, but not many people seem to run many non-D&Desque settings so I may be entirely wrong on that.

Be the DM and make the setting a war against humans and elves

Fantasy is a familiar setting, you don't have to explain much, Tolkien did most of the hard work for us already.

It's comfortable, doesn't get bogged down like gunfight rules tend to do, and can serve as a stand in for most of human civilization pre-1800s.

Furthermore, most people don't want to pretend to be themselves/modern day, they want an escape.

I'm not saying that Sci-Fi/Modern is bad, I love infinity, cyberpunk, shadowrun, EclipsePhz, but fantasy is a lot easier for most people to wrap their heads around thanks to an inbuilt shared cultural understanding of fantasy.

I want to create the sort of adventures I always dreamed of as a child. Haven't managed it yet, but with any luck I will.

>wah nobody near me likes shadowrun or 40k

Because it's the quickest way to mount a game.
Pretty much anything you want already exists somewhere and you just need to select some of it and build your setting.
Other genres need more thought

The better question is why it always has to be the shitty pop culture bastardization anachronistic pseudomedieval fantasy and not fantasy logically consistent to a given socio-technological time frame that's then given fantastical elements.

>Science Fiction setting:
>The giant alien xenosauriod flaps its wings and begins to take flight, roll to-
>ACKTCHUALLY, didn't you say we're on a planet with comparable mass, gravity and atmosphere to Earth? In that case, this creature would be too large to fly under its own power.
>Uh, well, you see, it's because, um...

>Fantasy setting:
>The dragon flaps its wings and begins to take flight, roll to-
>ACKTCHUALLY, dragons couldn't realistically fly because of their size.
>It's magic, shut up.

Is there anything more embarrassing than le ebin elf hate

>The better question is why it always has to be the shitty pop culture bastardization anachronistic pseudomedieval fantasy and not fantasy logically consistent to a given socio-technological time frame that's then given fantastical elements.
That's actually a stupid question that you already know the answer to.

Most people except me are simpleton brainlets?

Pretty much this, the closer to reality the setting is the more constraints you have to deal with.

See how easy that was? You should feel dumb for even asking.

Yeah sure man, it's not like people have something called "Suspension of disbelief"

Because your speshul setting is boring?

>sci fi
>fighting not!dragons
>not fighting ancient transhuman (transxeno?) superwarriors
shit game tbqhfam

>with the most established examples for familiarity.
This is the most important. People just wanna make stories, not listen to your hour-long explanation of the ten thousand year history of the alien-minded Gorch'xxes of the Quantum Mountains who are reincarnated and grow from pears

I honestly can't imagine being the kind of person that exclusively reads genre fiction and plays Forgotten Realms all day instead of seeing value in something having more thought and integrity than not at all.

Jesus christ, then just make a humans-elves-dwarves-orcs setting that fills your standards for integrity and internal consistency. But we don't care that Your Orcs Are Different

I can't imagine being so autistic about my setting that noone will play it with me.

The first thing to think about when you make a setting is "will people want to play in this"

blame seems like a good setting for role playing or whatever you nerds do

>designing setting
>Try to keep autism in check, give each nation a short blurb with a description, and a hook or two for possible mystery/adventures
>Thing bloats into a 10+ page document
>Panic, no player is going to read this shit.
>Players read it and love it
It's hard to describe what a relief it was that my players shared my level of autism.

>implying I use generic fantasy races at all
I try to run games for people who aren't intellectually bankrupt enough to need more than humans as the only playable races :^)

>Your Orcs Are Different
Did you really just tvtropes me?

Players are a diamond dozen and there will always be people interested in whatever bullshit you come up with, fagtron. I'll grant you though it took me a while to get the players for the two groups I run for, but I feel like it's unfair to blame that entirely on not using a generic shit setting when I also have fairly extensive vetting. I don't allow fat people in my groups, for example.

>Diamond Dozen
Oh he's baiting hard

>Corners of mouth turned up/10

2/10, the bit about fat people gave it away

>I'm new!

Yeah we can tell.

>doesn't get bogged down like gunfight rules tend to do,
What? Could you point me to a single system where shooting a gun is even a remotely complex task?

Because people would rather expose themselves to a poorly-thought-out setting everyone is familiar with than a poorly-thought-out setting only you can explain.

Science fiction's response should have been
>It's Xenobiology shut up

Or alternatively maybe expand your horizons to more than 2 genres, and have your players fight something that isn't a dragon for once.

Because most people know fuck all history?
I love historically authentic fantasy, but I'm also a history buff that knows about the time periods I throw elves at.

He probably has only had experience with Pathfinder where guns are shit

how do they not get rekt by gravity

Most writers are writers.

>The first thing to think about when you make a setting is "will people want to play in this"
Funny you say this because most of the settings people want to play in are things written for a narrative and not specifically so readers can self insert what they would do in the setting.

Citation?
If think most settings that get played in are made for playing in, even if they're based on a story.

>Citation?
Every single "I want to run a [anime] game!" thread
Most role playing is not ttrpg, it's freeform.

I think part of the problem is that almost everyone who gets into the hobby starts with D&D, and most never learn any other system. Non-D&D fantasy doesn't seem much more popular than other genres.

You're mistaking disintrest for fear, and that's your fatal mistake. If you want somone to be interested in your space-age ancap solarpunk grassroots-based interstellar travel setting, you have to sell it well enough.

Shadowrun?

>Every single "I want to run a [anime] game!" thread
But none of those people actually RP, they just get excited about a media property and want to recreate that same feeling of excitement somehow.

If they actually played RPGs, they'd know that never works.

There was that user the other day who made terrain for an Attack on Titan game but his players never showed up.
I don't know if that supports your argument or mine

That is a worse question, not a better one. A better question is why are you such a retard, autismal realism user?

People are retarded, and they mostly are attracted to bad games anyway.

What is more interesting to me is that ASIDE from DND it still is more easy to find fantasy shit (urban fantasy is still fantasy). I mean, if the argument for DND is muh cozy medieval fantasy, that doesn't work explaining why urban fantasy is more popular than, say, Star Trek-ish sheaninigans. I'd say the reason is that generally dnd ingrained a certain "resolve tactical problems with brute force" idea that means for example horror games are generally horrible.

Well, you either treat guns with reduced lethality, or you have to go into insane levels of detail with aiming to the point where it's not fun anymore.

Then you get into the whole argument about how a 9mm pistol does different damage then a similar weapon, firing a slightly different round.

Line of sight, cover, it all ends up being excessive compared to a more martial fight. Because of the need for immediacy in combat, you very rarely have to reload in an rpg, whereas in a real firefight, running out of ammo is a legitimate concern.

No, elves are shit. They're the Mary Sues of high fantasy. They're always the wisest, kindest, smartest, most capable and to top it all off most beautiful as well. By personal preference I dislike Mary Sues and so I dislike elves as well. Fuck elves.

Relative to other games sure, relative to the other options in the book? Not in the slightest.
That's not a system, and half of your random humming and hawing will have been solved and taken care of by the printing of the book, or could equally be applied to melee weapons as well (see ad&d's obsession with the minor difference of various sticks with pointy bits on the end).

Urban Fantasy is popular because it's all about being a superhero and fighting vampires. It's action fantasy shlock mixed with teen drama shenanigans. No one should be surprised nerds like it.

Gravity manipulation technology.

Every single genre of RPG is fantasy

because people want to have fun, not sit through a lesson of medieval history and sociology

Actually... not much. Oddly enought the monster hunter in modern settings seems not that much played to me.

You have better chances being the monster.

If only I had players as autistic as me who would read my huge worldbuilding documents. I try to keep it to a short paragraph or two now.

Congrats user.

>Blame RPG

Hell yes.

The PC classes that immediately suggest themselves are "Protoype Safeguard" like Killy and Dhomo, some kind of Tech-Wizard for Cibo, and the "badass normal" like the Electro-fishers. Your threats would be the huge transhuman nightmares, the Safeguard and silicon creatures, as well as random threatening glitches and hazards throughout the crumbling city.

The megacity's operational principle seems to be to keep growing no matter what. At some point it invented "gravity furnaces", the precise nature of which is a little unclear but are speculated to screen out excessive gravitational fields within the structure.

Centrifugal force via spinning equal to one gravity

user, just because you got the answer you were looking for doesn't mean you have to be a cock about it. You didn't specify, "What is a system that has complex rules for shooting guns relative to the other options in the book", you just said, "What system has complex shooting rules?" and Shadowrun fits that to a T with its expansions and expansions of the core rules, which while originally hefty, weren't that ridiculous on their own.

Also, malevolent trans human tribes. Like the race of giant people that hunted and killed the three eyed people.

>The pseudo mideval setting common in fantasy allows for the idealized natural world and societies so far removed from modern civilization
This is very funny. I'll try to find that article which explains how typical D&D inspired fantasy world is US in renfaire trappings. Maybe someone else will post it.

It was right in the first result from Google
blogofholding.com/?p=7182

Fantasy is the most idiot-proof. Because it's stupidly easy.

other genres require too much background knowledge for the D&Dickhole brain to comprehend, specially when you have idiots like this who thinks that fantasy has many things other genres don't have.

You know I actually love that idea. Imagine a futuristic society's nerds LARPING, but because their tech is so good it's actually fairly impressive. Holographic monsters and spells, toy swords that sting, "realistic" armor 3D printed the weekend prior at virtually not cost.

That's like Numenera but backwards

Would be a good excuse to include a bunch of light hearted campaigns where the bad guys don't die, and bitch and moan about being taken out "too early."

There's already one though

>but his players never showed up.
I literally can't stop laughing right now.

Homonyms.

That's called Otherland, user, and it was written many years ago.