I've been looking into trying to run a campaign in the setting of One Piece for my group...

I've been looking into trying to run a campaign in the setting of One Piece for my group, but I've been having a lot of trouble coming up with new powers and techniques (especially ones that haven't already been taken) for my NPCs. This is a problem for me since I usually think up of characters as I'm creating the story's rails so nothing feels plugged in.

If anyone has any ideas or experience with the setting in tabletop format I certainly wouldn't mind listening in on any advice or concepts.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/KidkE58y
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive.html?tags=Shining Seas
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_9SYPE905yfmQe-wqdwLPysykC8Dif3ZJuQQpF2VWs4/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what system?

Still figuring that out, but I've been thinking of retooling the jojo system that gets shuffled around here a bit because of how open it is.

You could just use Mutants and Masterminds. It's built for superhero campaigns, and One Piece is just as wacky with its superpowers as cape stuff is.

I ran a One Piece game with M&M, it went pretty well. Even the rules themselves, provide a wide range of easy to imagine powers.

Oh! I think they actually have a One Piece D20 somewhere if you look around. Not sure how recent it is, since the last time I downloaded the thing was years ago. Give me a sec and I’ll find the link.

Aaaaand the website is down. Sorry OP.
Anyway, maybe it’s floating somewhere in the interwebs.

In terms of powers, don't actually be afraid to recycle them. Oda himself has talked about the idea of superior and inferior fruits. Baby 5 beats Daz Bones, bdcause sge can make guns and he can't. Aokiji beats Monet because solid ice is more intense then snow
Just make a superior/inferior version of a fruit.

It's not very good, just go with Mutants. I also had a great time running a One Piece game using it.

As for Powers, here are some from my game:

Rot rot fruit, rots user and everything he touches, used by a Beetlejuice expy.

A fruit that lets you animate any object you touch, used for household item mechanics and ridding giant slabs of meat around.

Logia Type Alcohol, gets people wasted, highly flammable.

2D Fruit, turns you into a 2D object. Great for espionage and cutting things.

Sing Fruit, let's you literally throw your voice.

Dead fruit, let's you kill anything you touch. Doesn't exist, guy who claims to have eaten it is just bluffing.

Cheerleading Gorilla Henchmen, hasn't eaten a fruit.

I'll try to post some more powers from my campaign later.

How about don't, because those are all terrible

You can't stop me.

One Piece had a literal gun-dog, all of that would be par for the course.

Funnily enough, I was working on a D6 variation to play with some friends. I'll put what I had in a pastebin and send it this way in about an hour.

There's a difference between fitting the setting, and being terrible.

Heres a one piece related question
Giants: should they be playable or NPC only?

That's pretty neat man

pastebin.com/KidkE58y

It's only Character Creation and basic stat stuff, but it's a little Shadowrun, a little Super Mario RPG, and a lot of crazy. Feel free to cannibalize as much of this as you want.

I didn't put it in here, but my other big idea was for the GM to play as the Captain, an NPC with much lower stats that the players design and rally under. I dunno if I'll ever finish this dogshit, but have fun with what's there!

>Flat Flat Fruit- A Paramecia fruit that allows the user to flatten things they touch, practically turning said nectar into 2D. The flattened objects can be folded like paper and weigh half of what they normally do, but retain their normal attributes, like hardness, and any objects that have internal storage retain their full volume despite the outside being flat.

>Paint Paint Fruit- A Paramecia that allows the user to produce and manipulate paints and inks

>Tele Tele Fruit- A Paramecia fruit that allows the user to teleport themselves and any individuals OT objects they are carrying. The distance of the transportation is about five miles from the users current position. Individual parts of the user can be teleported, but remain connected.

>Hole Hole Fruit-A Paramecia fruit that allows the user to open up holes on themselves or on any surface they touch, the holes cannot exceed the surface area of where they are placed, and can be as deep or shallow as the user desires. The user can also physically move any holes, whether they are the users creation or not, such as key holes or open windows.

>Puzzle Puzzle Fruit- A Paramecia fruit that allows the user to turn objects and people into puzzles. The type of puzzle is completely up to the user and remain until they are solved or the user wills them away. The puzzles retain the original attributes of the objects or people, so shape, weight durability, etc

Playable. It's a race, so it's only fair, and giants are only top tier in the Blues and the early places of the grand line.

Use legendary Creatures for Zoan user. I have a Djinn as main antagonist in my One Piece group.

Pretty sure oda just looks at random stuff around his house and thinks of how it could be made into a power. Just look up a list of nouns and try to make powers out of them.

Anything you thinking can be a fruit power. Just in the current arc you have characters that can create crackers, candy, mochi, turn anything into food, turn into any stage of a chicken, and squeeze fluids out of people historic name a few.

Don't forget: Starter villains with a weird gimmick fruit that rely way too much on it are always fun.

>BeanBean Fruit: Beanstalks grow out of whatever the user touches.

>Smile Smile Fruit: The user can fire a beam that forces anyone in his vicinity to smile until he releases them.

>Zoan Fruit: Chihuahua Style: Watch and be amazed at the perfect border guard/party distraction.

Any animal can be a Zoan, including insects and dinosaurs, so it's a good fodder fruit category, or just to grab some quick and simple powers.

Fruits can be gimmicky, but they shouldn't be one trick ponies. Even throw away fodder villains have some really impressive fruit powers, and gimmick powers that can have some wiggle room.

>Bear Mink eats a Bear Zoan Fruit
>Double Bear
>The second Bear activates his fruit
>Triple Bear
.Continues until there is no more crew. Only Bear.

I didn't mean for those to be single-trick. More a starting point for the user to branch out of.

>Beanstalk manipulator with no real control over himself yet
>Clinically depressed guy who just wants someone to be happy to see him, so he spams his smile beam/aura until he learns how to work his powers on himself
>The chihuahua user is absolutely humongous, and retains his booming voice while he's a ten-pound yapping machine

Another thing to consider: Devil Fruits are eternal.

If you have a campaign that takes place significantly before or after the events of One Piece you're perfectly in the clear to let an NPC or player straight up use a fruit from canon.

I came up with a few for a One Piece game I was planning to run.

>Dual spear wielding fallen Skypian.
Each spear can double up as a spear thrower for the other spear. Also, the spears are connected by bungie cord and can be used as stilts/pogo sticks.

>Juggling swordsman
Throws boomerang like swords. Expert at trick shots, like lodging swords in walls then bouncing other swords off them.

>Mudskipper-type Fishman
Uses a brand of fishman karate that controls the water in the ground, letting him control mud. He can turn earth into mud, form mud armour, swim through soil, form giant mud fists and so on.

>Catfish-type Fishman
Controls the water in the air to surround himself with a small storm.

>Lampray-Type Fishman
Uses Fishman karate to control the water inside his own body. Shifts blood into different parts to super-charge them. Also heals people by punching them.

>Soil logia with plant powers
During a battle years back someone planted seads in him so the roots would bind him together. He no longer has logia intangibility, but he learned how to enhance the growth of and control the plants that grow in his body. He's now effectively a plant logia. Has a full plant crew, including a fat cactus knight and grass ninja.

>Mercury Logia
A fairly high end Vice Admiral with mercury powers. As well as being really dense, mercury can dissolve metal, so he can fuse with, absorb and then control any metals. He keeps himself full of high end military equipment for whenever his mercury isn't enough. Weak to fire.

The problem with a game that takes place before, or after the events of One Piece is major things happen in the world, especially in the past, and the world can change massively in the future, so it's hard to have a game set in either of those timeframes without going into major headcanon territory and making shit up. The only way I can see it being easy is having it set, maybe, perhaps in the early parts of the Gold Roger era, where you know kind of whats happened, but you have wiggle room for personal events. But absolutely any campaign in a One Piece setting cannot involve going after One Piece, cause that is setting the players up to fail.

>Mercury Logia
Does mercury occur in nature?

>Rain Rain Fruit- A special Paramecia fruit that allows the user to create, control and transform into rain

>Flea Flea Fruit- A Zoan fruit that allows the user to transform into a flea

>Shatter Shatter Fruit- A Paramecia fruit that allows the user to shatter objects like glass

>Human Human Fruit, Model: Poltergeist- A Mythical Zoan that allows the user to transform into a malevolent spirit. It bestows powers that a poltergeist would have, including intangibility and possessing people

>Engi Engi Fruit- A Paramecia fruit that allows the user to become an engine, and animate inanimate objects that the engine is touching

hey just a casual reminder that if you use "x x fruit" instead of "x x no mi" you're a fucking mongoloid

I think it would be a bit cringey to spout a bunch of Google translated Japanese, especially since it's literally the same shit.

>centi centi no mi
whenever the fruit's owner bites someone they can begin a process of absorbing that person, adding their torso to their own. the more torsos the user accumulates the longer they become until the resemble the infamous Human Centipede. the user can use these torsos and damage sinks, ejecting an absorbed person when that part accumulates too much damage.

You don’t often find it in large quantities, but yes.

would root beer be considered natural enough to be a logia? it's made through the natural process of fermentation, at least traditionally.

Remember OP, not every one of your NPCs has to have a unique fighting style/devil fruit. It’s perfectly fine if you wanna take from the main series. A few ideas tho if you need them:

>A devil fruit that lets you absorb the color from objects and leave them nonfictional and brittle like chalk. Color can be released in cool energy basts

>A tree sap logia

>A devil fruit that lets you create a door to a “freezer” in your chest that is basically a subzero pocket dimension.

>A human human model: yeti zoan

>A salamander zoan that gives the eater intense regeneration ability

Remeber to that more often than not, the people who have DF powers haven’t chosen them. While there are plenty of exceptions, add a layer of “randomness” to the DFs NPCs have. Like just because a character is obsessed with cats, it doesn’t mean they have to have a cat-themed DF. It could even be a gag where they hate using their power because it wasn’t the one they wanted

I ran a quest on /qst/ and I can post some stuff from that if you want to use it in your campaign.

>ran a quest on /qst/
do tell.

Ah alright then. I looked up metals in nature as well, and gold, silver, copper and platinum occur naturally, so a metal Logia could also work, dunno if it should be a Logia that is multiple metals, or just one of those metals as a Logia.

considering how different in qualities many metals are having them be different fruits feels like it would work best.

I would say no, since it's not something that just happens, it requires mixing specific ingredients. Alcohol would work though, as there are examples of fruits naturally fermenting into alcoholic products. But then again, I dunno how liquid logias work, as the closest we have is Swamp, which is more like mud than liquid

Akainu was liquid along with technically Crocodile (sand isn't really a liquid but the particles are fine enough to make it act in a somewhat similar way).
plus there's the (noncanon) Honey Queen and Gasparde who respectively had a jelly logia and a liquid candy logia.

>ctrl-f

>no Inverse World

Really now?

I'd say half are terrible, half are par. Cheer gorilla, fake dead fruit, and booze fruit fit.

>suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive.html?tags=Shining Seas

Here’s a link to all the threads. Not much happened in them, but there might be one or two characters you may want to cannibalize, like a marine captain that uses a giant fishing pole as a weapon.

The most useful thing for you would be in the last part, where I basically give out all the plans I had for all the arcs until the quest’s equivalent of Alabastia.

Please use whatever you want; it would bring me great joy to know that someone made use of the story I failed to give life.

Adding to him, though there is randomness to the fruits, characters DUE tend to fit decently with the fruits they stumble upon. It could end up being the character fitting themselves to their fruit, or just lucky happenstance, but a lot of characters due line up decently well with their fruits, like Mr. 5 being an artist, or Kuma being bear themed and having a paw related fruit, or Capone being a mafia boss and having a fruit that really goes well with having a gang of thugs. It really comes down to personal preference

Well technically true, but weve never had a straight, canon, pure liquid Logia. Akainu is molten rock, so he's not totally liquid. We just don't really know what happens to a Logia user who goes full liquid, like a water logia.

i'd imagine that a liquid logia would act sort of like an ooze where it's a big mobile blob of something.

you could always give it another go, user.

if you play as a girl in a one piece campaign and they have enough space in their torsos for organs you've failed as a roleplayer

Should logia be allowed for PC usage?

Logia's aren't invincible.
They'd be strong early game, but it wouldn't be long before you start running into people who know how to counter it.

You could probably make it so when you first get it you cant just have a passive intangibility.

Well of course not, Logias don't have passive intangibility, it's a conscious activation. Even training the intangibility to a mastered degree only allows you to activate it as a reflex to attacks.

fruit-fruit fruit:gives you powers based on the fruit it inhabits. zoan type is biologiaclly accurate, parameicia is slightly metaphorical, and logia is fruitsalad: the bullet hell

One Roll Engine, Wild Talents

You can also just make dudes pure haki crawlers, no fruit required.

Had an idea for a mercury logia that also allowed the user to cause madness and erase memories.

That’s what I meant. Would it be an ability you get when you have a high enough rank in a stat relating to awareness, or would you have to advance in an entirely separate devil fruit skill?

Maybe it would be a combination of both where both stats need a prerequisite in order to pull that off.

I could see rain clouds as a logia. Seeing as hot rock gets its own fruit, water in the air could be distinct from standing water and ice.

>Poltergeist
I remember someone pitched an Ectoplasm logia a bit like this before we found out Brook could go ghost.

There oughta br a One Piece ruleset out there.
And if there isn't we could always make it.

The one piece world is optimal for adventuring. The whole planet is basically one big adventure.

I read through the one user posted earlier, though I'd say it needs to play even looser with rules.

One Piece is very free form with its powers, except for some very specific pre-defined syles, those being Haki and Rokushi.
I dunno, I got a free day tomorrow and I was thinking of starting up a thread about putting up a system for this.

I'd participate in a thread like that.

if this thread is still up by then we could always just use it.

We are
We are, on the cruuuuuise!

We are!

An enemy that has the power to turn into a pirate ship with his devil fruit.

He's still affected by water.

user, thats silly, but I could see a vehicle devil fruit, but not ocean bound boats.

The Ice-skate pirates
led by Bobsled who hes the powers of the sled sled fruit. can have some other ice/snow themed pirates and the ship can have an ice deck or something.

Don't forget, user.

A ruse cruise?

Would make for some fun shenanigans.

I'm typing it here on word, will try for a pastebin once I'm comfortable with the editing.
I am aiming for at least the character creation basics today.

Cool.
What kind of system are you going for?

I'm bastardazing the one posted above, a bit from the Jojo D6 and inspiration from Mr. Bluesky's VeloCITY and Mario RPG

what is this jojo system?

I forget, what are the races in One Piece Land again?
Besides humans, of course.

There's a bunch, I think the one user is thinking of is either Bizarre Adventures D10 or D6, they fit the bill

Minks, giants, dwarfs, merpeople, fishmen, longleg, longarm, snakeneck and I think skypeans count as one also

You can justify almost any kind of mutated human as a race in One Piece.

The One Piece d20 system is a little wonky but really good. I ran a campaign in it that lasted a few months and everyone seemed to like it.
I know the old site is down, but I'll try and remember to post the PDFs I have when I get home.

>Mutants and Masterminds

Hey OP, if you want some prebuilt stuff for a Mutants and Masterminds One Piece game, I've got a preset page for you.

It comes with power sets for races, rolling tables for devil fruits, in universe equipment

If anyone wants it I'll post it

How well can it replicate in universe characters? Can it accurately do Buggy?

Yeah, though it would be more accurate to say that it could replicate the "effects" of his powers

Like some of his splitting could be a Movement-type power while a different kind of splitting could be an enhanced dodge

and he'd have fuck tons of presence too

Not really, there's a set list of other races that have been presented, and as far as we know, there are no other races beyond those. But thanks to the very pliable nature of genetics in One Piece, even if you're a human, you can look fucking CRAZY. Individual races pretty much just comes down to what kind of combat advantages you want

Toss it up then user, let's see it.

That last point is what I was getting at.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_9SYPE905yfmQe-wqdwLPysykC8Dif3ZJuQQpF2VWs4/edit?usp=sharing

It's on a google sheet

Well the problem is you start making up races for One Piece then you step into a realm where you may create an eyesore in the world. Every race in One Piece, besides Snakeneck, have a lot of development in their culture and societies, if you jump in with a new race it could turn into something really clingy, like "oh man, my character is an Elven pirate from the New World where a super race an unknown race of Elves exist on an island no one can get to!"

Besides the races already cover a large variety of choices,I don't think you need a whole new race to cover something that's already likely covered by a preexisting race.

If Big Mom has at some pointed fucked it it's a playable race.

That would mean Giants, Minks, Dwarves and, Skypeians wouldn't be playable. I dunno if she has any Long Arm or Long Leg kids, and I think maybe there's some half fishmen. Oh yeah and no mermaids.

As the user who wrote the crappy Dicey Waters edit way up above, I'm absolutely dying to read what you have. I'm just happy someone's getting any form of use out of it.

Also, if you're working off the SMRPG like I did, try and do something about that broken-ass Speed stat if you can. It can shoot, escape damage, and is generally overpowered if you put all your points in it compared to everything else.

For some reason, their first mate has bird arms.

I vaguely remember that Big Mom mentioned having a long limb human. It could be the child of a long leg and a long arm though.

to be fair, early on some fruits were played as one trick ponies but it was made clear that was only because their users didn't have the required creativity to properly use them

like how the guy with the power to turn ANYTHING into explosives was a lower tier mook because he went about using his power in the stupidest way possible.

Wasn't Praline a mermaid?

Praline is a mermaid.

There's a dwarf with butterfly wings being held by a fishman on this page. The fishman might be a guard, but butterfly kid is almost certainly a Charlotte

I completely forgot that Praline was a Charlotte. Also surprised that Big Mom was able to get a Dwarf to bang her. Well then, I guess that means the only races that Big Mom hasn't bred with are Skypeians, Minks and Giants

There's a lot of fruit talk in this thread, but One Piece goes nuts even with its regular humans.
If Sanji can engulf his legs in flame out of pure trauma and Sogeking can come to HIS OWN rescue in the nick of time, all bets are off.

>A sword/blade move that can cut any dice roll in half once per game
>Changing into a disguise in plain view and fooling an NPC by putting on a different accent while you talk to them
>Kick someone so hard in the face their Charm stat is halved for life
>Bluff a group of NPC's by claiming that one of them is secretly on your crew
>Full frontal nudity (if you're that kind of player), getting a group of enemies to bleed out their noses
>Building a gadget that can manipulate the air and cause badass weather patterns

And that's just canon shit. The bar of realism is set incredibly low, you don't even need a fruit to pull off the ridiculous.