/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything — Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything — New Player Options and Spells
mega.nz/#!U7RkBJrI!76abnPsumdl4qV_KnYObbDP5g7cAV4yvpJCVJlHjrUk

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/
How do you use dragons in YOUR campaigns?

Other urls found in this thread:

media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf
reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/7clobu/hexblade_lore_impressive_turnabout/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>How do you use dragons in YOUR campaigns?
>use dragons

I don't because they suck. Same reason I ban all races but humans and all magic as well.

>new UA is out
>not in the OP
>XGE scan has been out for days
>old previews are still in the OP
Step up your fucking game, OP.

Casters are better than martials.

Mearls pls

Is there really a scan or are you talking about the DnD Beyond frankenstein?

New UA - Elf Subraces

you are the end of fun.

You forgot the UA, you idiot.

Also, full XGE pdf is on the trove.

They retconned that Shadar-Kai so fuck it.

Is War Wizard useful for anything? EK multiclass? I feel like a dip in WW must be good for something at least, but I'm not sure what.

There's a high quality scan in the trove you mooooooorons.

Check the trove retard

Fuck fun. If people want fun they wouldn't play D&D.

It's less a retcon, more an amalgamation of 3.5e's fey shadar-kai and 4e's Raven Queen fetish shadar-kai.

Sry that I still had some trauma from the long waiting for ToA

You get a lesser shield spell at-will , but Power Surge is such an useless feature.

Well they would play 4e if they wanted fun. 3.5e and 5e are about making Chads feel useless compared to my incredible sexy intelligence.

Xanathar just convinced me to keep my homebrew to axed battlemaster as a pickable sub and give all the other fighters some free superiorty dice

The glamour bard and whispers bard should be able to spend a minute being charming or scary without having to rest after. They should be able to use these features multiple times without having to rest, because they are really Role-playing features, and have very little potential to be used multiple times in combat without extensive Role-playing to earn it.

Discuss.

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Better saves and savewhoring. Doesn't make it a good thing to dip for though.

Play a proper wizard of one of the schools, we already have seven fucking wizard schools hot damn.

>Well they would play 4e if they wanted fun.
>everyone playing the same 4 neutered casters
>fun

I'll agree with you when the Fighter gets RP class features.
And I DO mean the class.

Horizon Walker at level 11 let's you teleport up to thirty feet in a round provided you take the attack action.

A player, outside of combat attacks the ground with his feet. Does he get to use this feature to teleport?

Any fun ideas for druid multiclasses?

How suboptimal is Strength Rogue?
14 STR 14 DEX 16 INT dump cha and wis.
They have longsword proficiency but I just can't see any way to actually make use of that except to gimp yourself.

I kind of wish they'd bring back fighters getting a keep. It doesn't really fit well into a lot of campaigns, but in terms of giving out of combat perks to fighters that one is capable of a lot more interesting things than stuff like jumping better or being able to lift more or any of that boring shit

Ew

Fluid Druid (make a warlock pact with a sexy demon)

There's a handful of magical finesse longswords, but I think the proficiency is mostly just for show. What do you mean by stealth rogue though? The thief archetype?

Is it just me or some character options on XGE are simply wishful thinking printed?
Forge Cleric at 1st level gets +1 weapon or armor at 1st level, and another +1 to armor at 6th.
Kensei Monk gets a better Ki-Empowered Strikes at 6th and a +1 to +3 weapon at 11th.
Ranger options' 3rd level features are leagues better than Hunter.
Shadow Sorcerer's Strength of the Grave makes a Cha saves instead of UA's Constitution saves
Hexblade's 1st level features are laughably broken.

Could you share it?

Very. The only Strength """Rogue""" build outside of homebrew is dipping for athletics expertise, or some kind of retarded ultra high level Paladin Assassin build for one shotting BBEGs.

>14 STR
If you want to go strength then you should have 16

>How suboptimal is Strength Rogue?
Not suboptimal at all if you're a tortle or a mountain dwarf

Barbarian/rogues are also a thing. I don't think you would really use a longsword for either though. The extra damage from sneak attack would more than make up for using a rapier, shortsword, scimitar, or probably even whip

Curious that instead of fixing Warlocks they just doubled down on making them multiclass bait. Must be intentional at this point?

They have, PIZZAZ AND GRANDIOSE PRESENCE

You can make a pure strength rogue now that tortle exists. Don't need dex when you have 17 AC. Sure a dex rogue might be better, but tortle rogue works

They rely on a bunch of kiddies and grogs for playtesting. What do you think?

what's the best way to maximize yourself as a divine soul sorcerer?

Any special metamagic combos to consider, or spells to focus on?

What would be the spells you select as you level?

Tortle rogue just feels like heresy

100% suboptimal.
But 100% viable.

multiclass bait into a trap

I enjoy munchkins who multiclass and then get btfo by a straight level 9 barbarian

Warlock is designed to revolve around Eldritch Blast.
The only problem is that Blade Pact was obviously meant to not revolve around EB and it has no features to support it.

Sounds good. Turn all the fighter addons into extra maneuvers.

I'm fully expecting hunter and beast master to get loaded the fuck up when revised rangers comes out. Honestly I'm hoping they make it so hunter doesn't get free spells but they can choose to use either Colossus Slayer or Horde Breaker once a round with Giant Killer just being a nice passive, using either Multi-attack defense or Escape the Horde once a round with Steel Will being a nice passive, and their level 15 stuff getting changed completely because it's all fucking lame and stolen from Rogue, except Stand Against the Tide, that one's pretty okay.

It's not TOO suboptimal. You can still get sneak attacks (it just says it has to be finesse, not that you have to use DEX), so your damage doesn't suffer at all. You can take expertise athletics for some sweet grapples and give 'em the ol' grabby stabby.

Your real problem is garbage AC. You'll have to look into getting heavy or medium armor proficiency to fix it.

Seconding this, I'd like to hear other's thoughts on this. Personally, I'm thinking being able to twin Shield of Faith at as early as level 3 will be great and cheap and having access to twinned Healing Word will be nice as an emergency heal as well. Twinned Sanctuary is another that comes to mind.

Any new interesting multiclass setups with Xanathar's stuff?

Is there any sort of character concept that's viable (or more viable) now that wasn't before?

Rogue Assassin(3)/Kensai Monk (*) is plenty fun and the two subclasses work well together.

>Is there any sort of character concept that's viable (or more viable) now that wasn't before?
Not really. Most of this stuff was UA

Is anyone else kind of disappointed in the new book?
For me, it seems like it's focusing too much on a part of the game no one really pays attention to after session one (backgrounds) where it could have given us more play options.

barbarian5/rogueX
and you won't gimp yourself at all

Twin revivify and a team of suicidal zealot barbarians

None of the pacts support Eldritch Blast, which ends up making it just a game of how much out of combat utility can you get.

What playtest version had the best fighter?

The most interesting mechanics etc?

The features should have had a 10 minute casting time but infinite uses, like any ritual.

Boom, whispers bard is finally worth using.

Fighters can't RP silly, they can only carry things for the wizard and hit things with swords.

i 100% agree with you. Fighters need roleplaying ribbons.

>seventeen pages of names
>people will unironically defend this

I'm not disappointed because XGE disappoints people like you.

I see a consistency in the XGE to try to reinforce the most common mistakes people are making in 5e. Essentially, XGE tries to shore up the areas of the game that have been repeatedly ignored by the mass of new people playing tabletop. It reads like one persistent attempt to fight back against the lowest common denominator.

>Is anyone else kind of disappointed in the new book?
Just you.

Single attack per round martials with amazing damage scaling and they all had martial die was the best. Also when skill proficiency involved stacking multiple d6s, and a number of early spell designs that were multi-turn casts and channels that were big impact but with investment.

XGE subclass tier list

go

I'm interested in what you're saying, can you elaborate?

>tier list
Garbage idea

I can see the point, but paying 5bucks for something i could get for free on web is shitty, yea.

Pretty much
>Forge cleric
Nothing but AC stacking
>Kensei
Nothing but damage increasing
>Shadow sorcerer
You can now only use the feature once so actually it's been fixed. Also the darkness feature is a lot more expensive. Though by the sounds of it you could technically cast it with a level 1 spell slot, though you wouldn't see through the darkness.

So why don't people like Arcane Archer? Is it because it's intruding on Ranger territory?

Seventeen pages of names and twenty one pages of random encounter tables. Of the two, I honestly expect my table to get more use out of the names.

But honestly, they're both DM tools. The name tables aren't primarily for rolling PC names. They're for when a player decides to hit on the barmaid and you need a name ASAP. They're for when the group takes a shine to the city watch unit that showed up just in time to help fend off a cultist ambush and you need six names on the spot.

Don't begrude the DMs their tables. It saves them vital brain cycles for more important thing.

The debate rages on with this Hexblade flavor thing. Do people really hate it that much? Is it too specific? Too vague? Not easily identifiable? Not flexible enough?

>reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/7clobu/hexblade_lore_impressive_turnabout/

I like it. It's way more interesting than Battle Master and its curving shot is super fun.

Tier 1:
Core Book
Shit tier:
XGE

It's just nonsensical and really boring.

I wonder if an Empowered Spell Life Transference Twinned would work.

Plus it has all the tables for people who can't make characters to save their lives to have more backstory than "I'm an orphan with ammnesia"

>It's just nonsensical and really boring.
What would you have preferred it to be?

>Mearls Tier
Forge Cleric
Hexblade Warlock

>Strong tier
Kensei Monk
All Ranger options
Divine Soul Sorcerer

>Okay to Play tier
Everything that isn't on shit tier

>Shit tier
Oath of Redemption
War Wizard

Ch1: Character options
-There's more to your adventurer than what class you are, you fucking donkeys
Ch2: Dungeon Master's Tools
-Stop adjudicating these fiddly bits like an ass. Stop making sleep so complicated and penalizing. We're going to literally reprint encounter building math from the DMG because you keep ignoring it. Here's a step by step on how to do traps because apparently you think "lol u didn't say you searched for traps rocks fall you die" is fun. Here's how to support the other pillars of the game outside of just your stupid slog of combat.
AppenDICKS
-STOP WITH THE URIST ORC-ARSE, JIM DARKMAGICS, AND RANDY DANGLEWOODS

etc.

I think because they nerfed lower-level stuff from the UA version.

Interesting and thematic.

How about an example?

>War Wizard
I have no idea what they were going for with that one.

Not right now, luv, daddy's had a long day.

>hey guys how about this super cool generalist wizard, the lore master?
>wait
>wait you guys hate it?
>oh god the book needs to go to the printer
>what the fuck are we gonna do we can't not print a wizard subclass
>uhhh war wizard was boring but people didn't hate it
>okay we'll fix that up a bit
>to the printer it goes
>best we could do

I use gem dragons. They're all ancient and from before the current era / age, so their relics that are super powerful and dgaf about the regular going ons of mortals. Ageless, but not immortal themselves, they're neutral parties in the affairs of the kingdoms, and are usually bastions of knowledge and magic.

Would have been better adding more archery based spells (including cantrips) and making Arcane Archers a form of Eldritch Knight.

Tg I want to make a Tortle druid and luckily for me, both my DM and I are huge Terry Pratchett fans

We're discussing the best way to make a Cleric of the Great Ar'Tuin and I am allowed to respec a list of circle spells that reflect a cosmos flavor should I decide to go circle of the land

What spells should I go for?
Everything is on the table as long as it's official.
I'm thinking Hunger of Hadar as well as Dawn.
Maybe sickening radiance for Solar Winds. Darkness and Freedom Of Movement also seem instinctual

Heightened Enervation, and then later twinned Life Transference?

I AM THE CONDUIT OF LIFE AND DEATH

If they wanted a relatively crunch soft class, they could have gone with something like a Vizier. Make a RP heavy, face based wizard subclass with a couple of neat tricks or the like.

The barbarian player in my group rolled a killing blow on a Beholder opponent and decided to skullfuck it to death while graphically recounting his actions over the other players telling him to stop with increasing anger. One of those players threw up all over their character sheet and ruined a bowl of chips. Nobody wants to play anymore. Is there anything I can do to salvage this? Maybe reset that encounter?

How the fuck did Healing Spirit make it through quality control?

In a party of 5, that's 50d6 of healing for a second level slot. It blows all other previous healing spells completely out of the water, particularly out of combat. With a dip in Life Cleric, that second level slot competes with fucking Heal.

Then how would one fix the problem?

When my players literally forget the background we worked on, even when I dangle it in front of them and my dm just doesn't care, it doesnt help to get MORE background stuff piled on.

>Oh fuck oh fuck
>Jeremy! JEREMY!
>Yes Mike--
>SHUT THE FUCK UP JEREMY! Wizard UA you know by heart: GO
>Hmm... I would say War Wizard, but--
>Fuck it that works, revise it and send it for print. Hurry!
>But Mike the reason I know it by heart is because it's simple and bor--
>SEND IT TO FUCKING PRINT TOMORROW!
>Mearls smiles

thanks you Giggles and Rain Man for you're hard work

Because outside of Veeky Forums, people hate dumbass shit like bags of rats and other retarded loophole meme builds. As such, there's no need to fiddle with it because only triple autists even bother with stupid shit like that.

That's was just angriness. You didn't elaborate on your message.

Question: What is my + to hit with a Net?

Using it is a ranged weapon attack, so I add my Dex, right?
I have proficiency in all simple and martial weapons, but i'm not sure if Net falls under that or if it resides in its own category?

I forgot to add Arcane Archer to the Shit tier.

This was posted in an old thread.

>I had my warlock make a pact with a sentient magic weapon from Shadowfell. When he meets his patron in his dreams he's meeting the weapon. As his pact magic gets stronger the presence he feels when meeting his patron will increase. Eventually, he'll be able to realize that the presence of the weapon wasn't getting stronger, it's the presence of something intangible nearby it; the presence of the weapon itself has barely increased. He couldn't notice before because the two presences have an almost identical aura. After this realization, he'll start to ever so slowly discern the shape of something gripping the weapon (I might make it a full body, or maybe just an arm). If the other party members meet the patron even while high level, either due to the descent of an avatar/image or due to visiting Shadowfell, none of them will be able to see the outline wielding the weapon. At his strongest, what the warlock sees is still at best an outline.

>For my setting at least, it won't be that these sentient magic weapons were simply 'created' or 'made' by the same person. Rather they are pieces of the same soul that have been scattered throughout Shadowfell (and possibly other places) over long and varied periods of time that have slowly manifested themselves as these weapons-- seemingly independent but in reality working towards the same grand goal.
Perhaps it's an entity trying to sneakily grow their power without others noticing. Perhaps it's the contingency plan or last ditch effort of a thought to be destroyed entity. Perhaps it's an outside entity seeping its way through an unknown barrier into your multiverse. You may never find out.

>It's possible to take this further and expand it beyond hexblades and sentient magic shadowfell weapons, having something similar be of influence to all the party members. The seemingly independent character arcs all smaller steps towards a large connected final arc.

Thoughts?

You're a sad, sad man, user. You should log off and do other things for a few days.

>With a dip in Life Cleric, that second level slot competes with fucking Heal.
Don't forget it ticks once per turn and not per round, so if you can move on someone else's turn (for example with Ready > Dash), you can get twice the healing! (Which, with life cleric dip averages for cca 140 HP.)

Ban the Barbarian player from the table. Apologize to the rest of the party for not acting sooner to get him to stop. Bring out fresh alcohol and drinks and change the feel of the setting by putting on the first LotR movie or something in the backround. Get into descriptive mode about the piles of magnificent treasure the party acquires. Just ignore the fact that the Barbarian no longer exists. Let people relax and run out the clock without pressure, if anybody seems tired, let them wander into off-topic conversation as long as that conversation is PG. Send everyone home with a smile. In a couple of days send out messages to confirm next session like normal, again ignoring the existence of the Barbarian player.