Inevitable Betrayal Edition

Inevitable Betrayal Edition

Previous Thread: A thread for discussing the 'Star Trek' franchise and its various tabletop adaptations.

Possible topics include Modiphius' new rpg 'Star Trek Adventures', WizKids miniatures game 'Star Trek: Attack Wing', and Gale Force Nine's board game 'Star Trek: Ascendancy', as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and the Star Trek universe in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures
-Official Modiphius Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>modiphius.com/star-trek.html
-PDF Collection
>mediafire.com/folder/0w33ywljd1pdt/Star_Trek_Adventures

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

Star Trek: Attack Wing
-Official WizKids Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

Star Trek: Ascendancy (Rules and Player Resources)
-Official Gale Force Nine Page
>startrek.gf9games.com/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

Query of the Thread: Is it possible to make friends with a Romulan if your relationship is based on you constantly thwarting is plans in the back during every conversation you have with him and then continuing to act like nothing is wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=29L8P1XwnaA
animorphs.wikia.com/wiki/Andalite
animorphs.wikia.com/wiki/Yeerk
youtube.com/watch?v=B08GQ0xTIxw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes. As long as you maintain a constant emergency transport lock.

>based on you constantly thwarting is plans in the back during every conversation you have with him and then continuing to act like nothing is wrong?

What, you mean like every conversation he tries to kill you subtly or openly and you pre-emptivelt thwart him or put yourself in a situation where you can’t be assassinated without compromising him?
Like Garak only he really does hate your guts?

So your basic spy, Bashir/Garak routine?

...in all honesty, I can genuinely say I’m not even sure if there’s any other ways Romulans CAN be friends with someone.

No, not that.
Garak was acting like a spy, but he was frankly in shit standing with his team pretty much the entire time, and he actually actively helped Starfleet in the most roundabout way possible he could get away with doing most days.
He never actively tried to screw Bashir over or ruin Starfleet completely and several times actually was instrumental in the DS9 crew’s saving the day.

>go to Replimat with Romulan “friend”
>he offers you poisoned Romulan ale, >you bringing your own bottle before he can bring his that carries an antidote to the poison
>it’s actually a solid vintage too
>go skiing with him in the holodeck
>he tries to arrange an “accident” with the holodeck’s safety settings
>it’s cross-country skiing in a totally safe environment
>offer to train with him in mock-combat scenarios involving “lasers” so you can both learn about historical warfare
>he prepares a module to modify his laser to lethal settings
>it’s literally just a LazerTag arcade from the 1980’s, the guns are flashlights at best
>offer to take him on fencing matches to show him historical earth combat methods
>he sharpened his his foil to a monomolecular point
>”These are called ‘boffing sticks’ Friend Romulan!”
>Offer to show him some sightseeing parts on neutral world. He can bring some Romulan friends
>He brings an assassin to waste you and make it look like a Klingon did it
>”I brought you out here to also show off my new prototype shield generator device which makes me impervious to all disruptor energy weapon patterns! Neat huh?”
>make him best man at your wedding
>he’s going to blow it all up with an crude incindiary explosive to make it look like an electrical fire accident
>”Oh, and my spouse wants to have it under the stars so we’ll all be in space suits at the time!”

Pretty sure any Romulan would literally commit suicide then subject themselves to the unending torture of being a Starfleet Officer’s “best friend” for the rest of his life.

I mean, it’s the cruelest psychological torture I can think of for a Romulan; you’re not just mocking his intelligence and ability, you’re mocking his entire way of life and then FORGIVING him for it without even saying a word.

>You invite Romulan Friend to the birth of your Firstborn Child.
>He plots to sabotage the machines so that your wife and child die in birth complications.
>”Of course my wife isn’t being hooked up to any machines, the child is a clone grown from an even genetic mix so we can both keep going on about our Starfleet duties while taking care of him!”
>”Also, we’re naming him after you!”

>Your friendship with the Romulan ambassador becomes famous throughout the Federation and Romulus as proof your people are “not so different”.
>Eventually a full treaty is signed making complete peace between the Romulan Star Empire and the Federation, with your friendship with him cited as the one of the major reasons it goes through.
>You make him godfather of your child.
>A statue is built or you and him shaking hands and holding your Romulan-named child on the exact location the treaty was made.

>Voq & Ash have the same actor
shittiest twist/reveal

So you think that's the reason for the Klingon redesign? For this shitty plot twist?

They weren't actually planned as Klingons, but then they had to use Klingonese so they could build their case against Axanar on something.

Sisko is a war criminal

Sisko did nothing wrong with the possible exception of showing undeserved mercy.

Being a "war criminal" does necessarily mean he did anything wrong.

So's this guy, and also a rapist.

Doesn't*

Cite the law or laws he broke.

Nice try, Javert.

That requires planning.
Everything about STD’s shaky as fuck development cycle suggests that most of whatever planning happened happened fairly recently and at the demand of corporate dicks who understand creativity only in that it generates them money and don’t actually grasp why certain creative things are more or less acclaimed or successful then others; to them, generation of captiol literally is the only real measure of success that there is in the world, thus with hype-trains, a few well-placed shills, and media blitzing, their hypotheses are almost always “correct” because their shows always make money regardless of quality.

Thus this twist is based on the basic logic that twists were done on other, more popular shows with twists under the assumption it would work without truly understanding why these twists worked, because their understanding of anything always involves currency somehow.

That’s a fairly cynical reasoning pattern.

Final STC is out.
youtube.com/watch?v=29L8P1XwnaA

Name suggestions for a New Orleans class ship?

U.S.S. Saints

USS Katrina

Starfleet regulation 619. The commanding officer must relieve themselves of command if their current mission leaves them emotionally compromised and unable to make rational decisions.

>a commanding officer must make a rational decision if they lose the capability to make rational decisions
Kelvin timeline isn't canon to DS9 and is shit anyway.

By that token, I think USS Hurricane sounds pretty good.

It has to be a red herring. Ash being Voq would be nonsensical given everything we've seen on screen so far.

You’re giving the writers too much credit, me thinks

USS Crocadilly
USS Baiyoux
USS Deathspin

I'd say it was a well thought out response that had a desirable outcome.

These fuckers won't hand over Eddington. They are causing trouble by squatting on that planet.

Now they are not causing trouble, they are not on that planet and Eddington is in a a prison cell.

As someone else pointed out this shit must have been writing crews middle finger to all those nutjobs who called Spock a Devil.

tfw you captain a large starship but Ed Mercer in his fairly dinky vessel still gets better quarters than you, to the point he can host a party for the senior staff without even having to move a sofa out the way.

>Replicator Biogel?
Replicators work like Medigel and Omnigel from Mass Effect then?

They're kinda a bunch of petty autists aren't they?

If you look at basically every interaction with TNG-era Romulans they always somehow end up betraying you or attempting to betray you while claiming they operate in good faith the entire time. It’s so reliable that I don’t think there’s even a single episode where they don’t attempt to pull one over on everyone else at some point.
The thing with Sisko and looping the Romulans more fully into the Dominion War is only really notable in that for once Starfleet got there first.

Personally I’d prefer that to “they make it out of air”. It makes replicators closer to universal constructors and means the raw materials from all those “mining colonies” we hear about actually become worth mining, unless every mine in every Quadrant mines dilithium of course.

This is going to sound like an odd question, but where on the Danube-class Runabouts are either the phaser banks or phaser array?

Just watched The Death of Stalin and now I'm sad that Jason Isaacs didn't go full Zhukov for Captain Lorca

the little gold strip above the cockpit

They're those little nubbins on the sides of the cockpit, I'm fairly sure.

That Klingon literally looks like a fish man.

I feel that is best used for a missile boat.

never mind, I found this blueprint that says the phaser array is right under the nose.

Thanks. I know the torpedo launcher is in that module they clip onto the top.

That's a transporter emitter. There's one on the other side, and they're right over/under the transporter pad.

USS Sisko

USS Gumbo

>Get post as bridge science officer on the Starfleet flagship
>Super excited, best posting in the fleet, probably gonna get your own ship if you survive a tour without fucking up
>Day two of your five year mission, realize the captain's toilet is literally five feet from your duty station, and he definitely doesn't get enough fiber

>anesthezine tanks by the briefing room.
Fucking why?

To take the edge off. Can't be gettin' the shakes when godlike beings and prime directerings come calling.

Would you not? I mean hostile diplomats and envoys are going to be there more than anywhere else on the ship.

>that docking port
There's got to be literally only one ship type that goes in there.

Those little taxi pods you see around Earth in the movies, most likely.

"Emotional compromise" in our current legal climate places Sisko against the Everyman. If every man when placed against the same stressors and responsibilities would value this same decision, the emotional state of the individual would be irrelevant.

Word doesn't want to fire the weapon, bit I would be willing to bet if he was in command and the same circumstances had transpired, he would not have been so hesitant.

I think this goes for many military individuals, and the average Starfleet officer is military at this point in the show.

>I think this goes for many military individuals
It goes for people in any hierarchical organization, military or otherwise. It's really easy to bitch about decision making and pretend like you would do something different when you're not the one making the decisions.

So.... There's a SHARP dissassociation in ST:tNG between the.... battle action scenes and the "we're a ship with families and homes and scientists" part of the ship.

You see the bridge shake every time they get hit with some alien gooball or whatever.

But NEVER have I seen anyone picking up all the shit in their quarters that fell off the shelf because of that.

Yeah, later shows on they seem to drop the whole “families and kids” aboard thing because the idea is just too intensely dangerous with some of the stuff Picard gets up to.
Remember when Picard was gonna scuttle the whole thing to prevent Nagilum from a third of his crew? That’s a lot of civilians who aren’t part of Starfleet that are suddenly going to die. Because Picard refuses to let his Starfleet crew killed one by one.

How about all the times the saucer area designated as the nursery and school eat an enemy torpedo, also the same area the borg cut a "core sample" out of in their first meeting.

Question to anyone who's read the Q Continuum series of novels: How should 0 as a character be played? I only just found out about them via Memory Alpha/Beta, and I think it'd fit in temporally well with an upcoming STA session.

Not exactly.

I meant later SHOWS.
There’s no indication that most Starfleet ships have lots of families, even in TNG.

Q is basically a troll of the highest order.
His little games and tests are supposedly well-meaning (often about testing a species limits), but it must be said that he pretty much does them for shits and giggles.

The rest of the Q seem to view lower lifeforms more like ants; very easy to safely ignore.

Sisko lost his wife and nearly his worthless NEET son at Wolf 359.

>Borg appear
>all family lost

have you watched this show?

Introducing Picard to the Borg cost the lives of 14 crew members.

It also made the UFP aware about the Borg. The Borg had been aware of the UFP for decades/centuries by that point.

With that advanced warning Starfleet could have prepared and saved thousands of lives. Not that Picard thanked him, the ungrateful shit.

And Starfleet makes a few token efforts and then laments that it wasn't ready.

Well yeah, I think I know how to play Q pretty well. It's 0 who I don't know how to portray. 0 is supposedly why the Milky Way has a great barrier keeping things in/out

You know Animorphs?

Not that user, but I do.
Man that book series got fucked up for kids books. It was basically about how dehumanizing war is and the horrible toll it takes on guerrilla soldiers, only the soldiers here were kids in their early teens.

A little, yeah.

Basically, 0 is Crayak.

At this point Ash being Voq goes from silly to actually offensive; it turns his flashbacks in ep 9 from a statement about how even tough military men can be raped and be really fucked up by that experience, into "lol female on male rape doesn't real"

Don't write it out as a possibility on that account.

The real world Geneva protocol of 1928 and the fictional Geneva protocol of 2155 are both established to still be a part of Federation law in Discovery s1e3 "Context is for Kings," and both prohibit the use of bioweapons. Trilithium resin is explicitly identified as a biogenic weapon.

Beta canon sources don't count, user.

It’s funny, because in real life most Geneva Conventions have long since been overridden by a significantly more comprehensive series of rules.

Another different user here.
Dafuq?
Never read anyof the books and so all i know is what is on the cover, it's about folks transforming into animals or something?

They've been given those powers by a Prince of an alien species who's hiding out on earth because another species of alien parasites are at war with his people. It gets very disturbing. The transformation sequence in detail is rather gruesome. Kids die in those books and even become trapped as the animals they turn into. They essentially get forced to help fight this Prince's war for him in order to protect Earth.

To understand the propane, one must become propane.

Holy shit.

Can you give more info?

animorphs.wikia.com/wiki/Andalite
This is the Prince's race. They are at war with these guys
animorphs.wikia.com/wiki/Yeerk
Which are basically evil Trill/ Those parasites from early TNG.

The episode where Picard, Troi, LaForge, and Data happen across the Enterprise and the warbird frozen in time had legit Romulans, as did the one with the blood transfusion and The Chase

If you guys think Animorphs is something, you should read Remnants.

The books can be humorous at parts, but largely they are DEAD serious stories. You can actually see over the series the protagonist’s morals slowly erode over time as they are forced to do more and more extreme things to survive the war, including things like considering massacring defenseless enemies and shit like that.

The final book shows how they’ve dealt with life after the war and the loss of so my friends; a lot of them are basically shattered and suffering from severe PTSD from the strain of being put under constant “slip up the act for even one minute and you die” levels of stress for nearly four years or so.

The final books ends in a very heavily suggestee sacrifice of what remains of the main cast to kill the final villain, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid-style.

Don’t forget that even said Prince is basically equally a pawn of forces outside his control, with some heavy suggestion that his life was “guided” gently along certain lines to reach a point where the Animorphs could themselves be created, because their involvement in the war sparks so many coincidental side-effects that it ultimately leads to the end of the conflict.

I think I figured out what STD's Klingons reminded me of

youtube.com/watch?v=B08GQ0xTIxw

>that feel when you actually are aware of the California Raisins
Jesus Christ I’m old.
I’m not even thirty yet.

Me neither, user.

Me neither.

I'm thirty next year. It's not a great feeling, lads.

Most successful advertisement that actually sold nothing. Apparently they were so popular that the production costs of making their stuff outgrew the resulting sales of raisins.

Sorta like if the GEIGO Gekko got his own show and everyone forgot he was there to sell car insurance.

Same here.
That's hilariously tragic.

I actually turned thirty this last Sunday.
I don’t particularly feel different, which is in itself fairly alarming in some ways.

>That's hilariously tragic.
Especially considering how it went down.
They basically said that they’d tried everything to raise the sales of resins except actual raisins singing “I Heard It Through The Grape Vine”, so that’s what they did as their last idea.
The commercial was wildly successful.

That’s the bridge of an Akira-class.
The airlock in the rear of the bridge is shown here in this artwork, so it’s basically a way to access the exterior of the ship in case of emergencies.

Well, looked like a galaxy class to me. Still though.

>galaxy class
>single helm console up front, ops to the side, two tactical consoles