Competitive modern general

Counter everything edition

Playing?
Hating?
Meta thoughts?

What's been your most exciting tournament experience?

>RESOURCES:
>Comprehensive Rules
>media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/resources/rules/MagicCompRules_21031101.pdf

>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/naya-scapewish/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wu-spirt-control-wip/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/10-11-17-8-rat/
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/785096-the-state-of-modern-thread-rules-update-27-10-17
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/multiple-stinky-poops/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for whitebordered decks

That's a pile, alright.

I knew people that would white boarder cards like snap caster and polluted delta. It made me uncomfortable to look at.

I bought an Intuition for 1/3 of its price at the time because some idiot white-bordered it. Got it altered. Now it looks great.

Is there any way to make this card work? Abzan hatebears?

Jessica ascendency combo. That decks still great but it's getting hit by graveyard hate hurts it a lot so it's pretty much a worse storm deck

Jeski stupid auto correct

Go check the legacy thread for some real whitebordered autism.

There's an obscure variant of AN that plays Glittering Wish.

Boys,
Is W/U still a thing that is competitive?

Adding red just gives it so much more speed but wu is absolutely still competitive

Jeskai Tempo > Azorious
Sram's Visions

Oh that ANT guy? I personally wouldn't do that, but I'm happy for him and his autism.

Somewhat.
If you want something that's highly played, Jeskai/UW Control might be up your alley.
If you want something interesting, Oketra's Quest (aka Monumental Quest) could work for you, and it's cheap, especially at mono-W.
If you want something fun and upgradable, UW Spirits is probably your go-to, and it has variants such as the popular Bant CoCo variant and Esper variant.
If you want to play a combo deck, Sram0s would work fine.
If you want something uncommon, play UW Prison.

I think spell queller (or whatever) is probably the best card for uw in years.

I've been thinking.

If Jace ever gets unbanned couldn't you make an Esper Cawblade deck to include cards like Thoughtseize and Inquisition to completely dominate your opponent?

Esper Deathblade is a deck in Legacy, but it's also running two other cards besides JTMS that are banned in Modern, Deathrite Shaman and Stoneforge Mystic. For our modern iteration we could probably get by without Shaman, but Mystic to tutor up our Blades/Batterskull/Jitte is pretty important to actually win.

What price would jace reach if it was ever unbanned? I am seriously scared of the possibility.

$100+ easily. Maybe even $150.

I feel like with how much it has been hyped all this time, it will be a foght between those who just want it, those who want to buy it before it spikes and investors. I think it has potential to go over peak goyf. There are just too many control lovers who play other stuff to be competitive in modern.

If it ever gets unbanned there's going to be two things happening at the same time.

1) The speculators will drive up the price by buying up copies because they know the players will want copies for playing in decks.

2) The players will drive up the price by buying up copies before the speculators get their hands on them because they want copies for playing in their decks.

So yes you are absolutely correct on your analysis there. As to whether JTMS has a significant impact on Modern for the long run is another issue. Ancestral Vision hasn't done jack squat for the format despite the unbans.

>Playing
bw drazi and taxes
>Hating
uw spirits
>meta thoughts
It's a-okay

>As to whether JTMS has a significant impact on Modern for the long run is another issue.
I have my personal opinion that jace isn't as good as people say, of course if he sticks it's gg, but modern unlike what little i saw of legacy has a low enough power level that dreadbore can become a thing, if you get only one activation there are many spots where lili is actually better, since she does 2 for 1 while also disrupting opponent, whereas jace can either do a tempo play a (broken of course but still) card advantage play or set himself to survive bolt and do little else. Yes of course you can play him with protection, but then he comes down very late. I don't know, maybe i just am retaded.

Yeah but don't forget the legendary rule change to planeswalkers now. This may change things if we're running the flip jace with JTMS in some deck.

I tried really hard to make it work but its worse than just playing it normally :/ tappedout.net/mtg-decks/naya-scapewish/

If you had been challenged to make something like this work, how would you?

4 Composite Golem
4 Shimmer Myr
3 Steel Wall

4 Door To Nothingness
4 Doubling Cube
3 Chromatic Lantern
2 Amulet of Vigor
4 Expedition Map
4 Kaleidostone
4 Mizzium Transreliquat
4 Mox Opal

4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Power Plant
4 Urza's Tower
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Ghost Quarter

Is it worth adding chromatic stars and/or spheres? Never played Tron, please help a scrub.

Haven't played since college, moved with in some lads who play from time to time.
Looking for a slightly north of average deck that's not very expensive, is R/U Pyromancer ascension still a thing?

I still have a modern infect deck in storage which I think is probably a little too strong of a power level, and a fun little Unexpected Results which is a little too weak.

Ideas? I understand I have some reading to do, like 5 years has passed since I last looked at a card.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wu-spirt-control-wip/
Please r8, I'm a poorfag but trying.

Set it to public fucko.

You could probably run some Izzet tempo thing if you want to use Pyromancer's Ascension. A good landbase is going to be the real sticking point, so if you have any shocks/fetches you can make a lot of things for a middling budget.

Ive turned my uw control into jeskai tempo.. any advice for my first event with it?

Shit, hold on. I really am autistic.

Seems it already is.

There isn't really a benefit to running 1 Guildgate and 1 Tranquil Cove. Cove's lifegain is slightly better, and if you can't afford a second one, then you might want to consider free games.

I was thinking 4x Pyromancer, 4x Thunderbolts, 4x Electrolyze, 4x Opt, 4x Sleight of Hand - I own one snap caster, obviously a playset would be ideal but I won't be spending $50 on singular cards anytime soon.
And then spending whatever budget I have on R/U land sources.

Although looking at land prices now, wow shit has gotten expensive over the years.

Unfortunately Tarn is played in Legacy, Vintage, and Modern, so you're really hurting for budget there. As long as you're not running Cryptics or other heavily colored sources you'd probably be okay with a few Flooded Strands to fetch a few Steam Vents.

Kek, I can afford as many Tranquil Coves as needed, I just had it set up like that since it's what I had.

>hating uw spirits
What problems do you have with it? What is your meta?

>Beat a Death's Shadow player with meme deck
>He's super cool about it and after the match is over trades me some fetches and a horizon canopy he's never gonna use for anything

and here I thought Death's Shadow players would be tryhards.

They won't unban him prior to a reprint in a Masters series.

yo modern boys, where do i get magic theory articles and shit to read or listen to to become COMPETITIVE?

Honestly the best way to dive in would be to watch streams or recorded stream footage on youtube, especially if they are explaining why they are making the plays they do.

also, pat chapin's podcast is great and gerry t's is decent as well, they have a ton of recorded episodes too.

well, thank you for effort, i already do that, but i wuld have liked something more theoric, like advanced deckbuilding, but actually good.

Even if you add stars your still not playing tron your playing a pile of shit and you know it. Seriously what is the point to these posts? You know how to improve it so why ask us when you know what we are going to say.

You could try kiln fiend for more fun. Regardless serum visions is the better cantrip start with 4 of those then figure out how meny opts/sleights to play

>Get into Modern a few months ago
>Buy into Scapeshift, eventually trade it for Eldrazi Tron
>Mainly play Eldrazi Tron for a while but but start building Taxes on the side
>Fast forward to today, just finished building Eldrazi Taxes
>Tempted to start building Grixis Death's Shadow

How do you stop yourself from building new decks holy fuck

>scapeshift and tron
You could stop yourself any time with a noose

Be a broke ass niggah

How good would this be if it were modern-legal and said equipment instead of contraptions?

Complete shit

Rolled 1 (1d6)

The complexity of some of the cards is rather vanilla, I don't see why it couldn't have had some sillier gameplay attached. Doesn't even feel Jackknifey at all, a lifelink growing beater? Why not a choice between lifelink, reach, vigilance, menace, first strike and haste, maybe on a d6 roll?

post """""""(competitive)"""""'" decks

This is rev for 15 level competitiveness. Keep up the good work

Is this """""""(competitive)"""""""?

Can I get that canopy?

Post address I'll mail you my FS canopy.

Back to your containment general.

What the hell are you talking about?
It's not like they're a custom card fag

must have recognized the carpet lol

Gonna build mill once my iconic masters Glimpses come in. What's the best list currently?

What's the best counter spell in Modern?

Logic Knot or Cryptic Command

Thankfully it will be banned soon.

I don't know how to make rat tribal a thing. Is this a start? What else should I add?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/10-11-17-8-rat/

Stoic rebuttal.

Yes, tis so.
>tfw looping Primetimes and Tolarias on camera with 2x Amulets out and getting Bloom banned even though you never even had to cast Bloom

Hi DDFT when are you going to whiteborder that deck

First you need to ask yourself whether the cards you're playing are capable of standing alone in terms of power level while simultaneously weighing up the strength of the synergy between them. The single card with any kind of tribal synergy in your deck is Pack Rat, and while Pack Rat is actually quite a good card, the rest of them aren't. Go look up a deck called Merfolk if you want a good idea as to how a tribal deck should look.

Man I wanna play this deck so bad, but it's a little out of my price range for how meh it is.

>Playing?
B/W tokens and Ad Nauseam
>Hating?
Infect
>Meta thoughts?
I find it to be a little dull but otherwise fine

Any ideas for a rakdos deck?

Add blue or green and play a card called deaths Shadow.

>Jund DS
>Grixis DS
>not Mardu DS
Get on my fucking level.

>best list
>mill
Kek

Doubt it

So I have been having trouble with jeskia tempo when playing this deck. i noticed the giant standard dinosaur in your sideboard; has he been good??

One day baby. I keep switching modern decks so I haven't whitebordered one yet but this deck tickles my pickle and has enough interesting lines that I think I'll stick with it for a while.

My biggest issue vs Jeskai with this deck is not playing fast enough to finish the round. I think the matchup is favorable. Cavern is great, you can even put it on construct to shoot them down with an uncounterable ballista late game. Postboard I cut the snakes and bring in a few extra fatties, including the death lizard. The dino is good but not needed, I just like it for the memes. I usually bring in the bog too. If you need more you can cut an Azusa and an amulet and bring in some extra beef and the GQ.

>not even 5 colors
Come on son

So I want to get into modern but I don't really know what deck I want to play and I don't have anything really. So, I was thinking about buying a Modern Masters booster box just to get a little bit of a collection hopefully started to have to trade ir just to hopefully get Staples. Question is, which one should I buy, 15 or 17? I was thinking 17 because it has fetches and stuff but idk, that's why I'm asking here

I'm trying to create a deck that creates multiple chronozoa clones while hurting my opponent via blood artist/cutthroat

to move counters around I have vampire hexmage
and hex parasite

any other general suggestions?

Never buy boosters unless you're drafting. Buying singles of cards you want will be cheaper and faster than cardboard lottery.

I know Professor, but the thing is that I don't know what singles or staples to buy because I have no idea what deck I want to play. I was just gonna buy a box, see what sort of stuff I got and build a deck from there.

So, hypothetically if someone were to make the dumb decision to gamble instead of buy singles, should they go mm15, or mm17?

Why dont you look at decks and see what you like? Or watch YouTube vids of deck techs and games? Or play whatever deck you feel like on xmage or cockatrice? Or use the money to buy a length of rope?

Why don't you answer my original question? I have seen some decks that are interesting to me but I feel like gambling. Like I said I have virtually nothing so I'd just like to get some cards in general. So please, answer the question if you want to, if not, quit replying. I know I'm making a bad decision but I want to.

Also

>necking yourself in 2017

giga kek

>56441059
Buy yourself a box, then buy burn, its bretty gud

Thanks for the insight

Since you obviously want to throw money away like a retard at a strip club, buy a box of whatever the fuck you want. The EV of both sets was basically the same last time I checked.

>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/785096-the-state-of-modern-thread-rules-update-27-10-17
>Discussions around the card Splinter Twin are strictly prohibited.
Why?

MM15 was a steaming pile of shit so if that answers your question, good.

Could I get some feedback? constructive or deconstructive, I suppose either help

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/multiple-stinky-poops/

>angry poor fag detected

Wisely spending money ensures I still have plenty.

Fuck me I just discovered Spellweaver helix works only on sorceries. Fuck me I made a deck around it thinking it was a good card. Fuck me I've bought 3 of them and lastly fuck me I can't read

>cant abundance mindset

we all got different view points i admit

You know why

It's not the best spending decision but it's still not throwing money away at a strip club, I'm still getting something so I don't know why you're so bent about it jfc

>46 cents
>1.23 foil
>buying into SaffronOlive memeshit