/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

William Tell Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/gdvadj7t6l5w6/Aero_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mediafire.com/folder/j962ws6h50bqj/Victory_Games
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mega.nz/#F!O1cUGTRL!4FSvbQTXjmRTz1TfVXqxLw
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/file/ltrrxb4d2bgkxpb/Osprey - MAA 094 - The Swiss at War 1300-1500.pdf
mediafire.com/file/jbnm8prrz1443g4/Osprey - MAA 166 - German Medieval Armies 1300-1500.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaiters
mega.nz/#!igEVGADL!_DGgV1UaxfVOsu8Pjw_P5eiupa0-KdTLfLlq77YQ5i4
mediafire.com/file/qurj517v9zj3gx5/Victory Games - Hells Highway.pdf
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2077/hells-highway
mediafire.com/file/yq1d17ddobkmukr/Victory Games - Lee vs Grant - The Wilderness Campaign of 1864.pdf
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5680/lee-vs-grant
mega.nz/#!XskwVIrR!S2KU6IsmQbS_mZy7_1GSjflX-Qed8FOo6FBzhRnGPjk
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7843/caesar-conquest-gaul
mediafire.com/file/u51nh539kktz0ty/Tank Charts (GHQ).pdf
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/13706/tank-charts
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Wargaming Magazines
mega.nz/#F!O1cUGTRL!4FSvbQTXjmRTz1TfVXqxLw
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Modern Spearhead

November the 15th in military history:

655 – Battle of the Winwaed: Penda of Mercia is defeated by Oswiu of Northumbria.
1315 – Battle of Morgarten: The Schweizer Eidgenossenschaft ambushes the army of Leopold I.
1705 – Battle of Zsibó: Austrian-Danish victory over the Kurucs (Hungarians).
1864 – American Civil War: Union General William Tecumseh Sherman begins his March to the Sea.
1889 – Brazil is declared a republic by Marshal Deodoro da Fonseca as Emperor Pedro II is deposed in a military coup.
1915 – Winston Churchill resigns from Government, taking command of the 6th Battalion, Royal Scots Fusiliers on the Western Front.
1922 – Over 1,000 are massacred during a general strike in Guayaquil, Ecuador.
1942 – World War II: The Battle of Guadalcanal ends in a decisive Allied victory.
1951 – Greek resistance leader Nikos Beloyannis, along with 11 resistance members, is sentenced to death.
1967 – The only fatality of the North American X-15 program occurs during the 191st flight when Air Force test pilot Michael J. Adams loses control of his aircraft which is destroyed mid-air over the Mojave Desert.
1969 – Cold War: The Soviet submarine K-19 collides with the American submarine USS Gato in the Barents Sea.

It is 702 years since the Battle of Morgarten, when a force from the Swiss Confederacy ambushed a group of Austrian soldiers of the Holy Roman Empire on the shores of Lake Ägeri near the Morgarten Pass in Switzerland. The Swiss, led by Werner Stauffacher, defeated the Austrians, who were under the command of Duke Leopold I. The Swiss victory consolidated the Everlasting League of the Three Forest Cantons, which formed the core of modern Switzerland.

Toward the end of the 13th century, the House of Habsburg had coveted the area around the Gotthard Pass as it offered the shortest passage to Italy. But the Confederates of Uri, Schwyz and Unterwalden, who had formalized the Swiss Confederacy in 1291, held imperial freedom letters from former Habsburg emperors granting them local autonomy within the empire. In 1314 tensions between the Habsburgs and Confederates heightened when Duke Louis IV of Bavaria (who would become Louis IV, Holy Roman Emperor) and Frederick the Handsome, a Habsburg prince, each claimed the crown of the Holy Roman Emperor. The Confederates supported Louis IV because they feared the Habsburgs would annex their lands. War eventually broke out after the Confederates of Schwyz raided the Habsburg-protected Einsiedeln Abbey, as a result of a dispute regarding access to pastures.

Frederick's brother, Leopold of Austria, led a large army, including a small number of knights, to crush the rebellious Confederates. He planned a surprise attack from the south via Lake Aegeri and the Morgarten Pass, counting on complete victory. Johannes von Winterthur's chronicle of the battle puts the Austrian forces at 20,000, although that number is now believed to be inaccurate. Another account, by Rudolf Hanhart, states that there were 9,000 men in the Austrian army, while historian Hans Delbrück states that the Austrian army consisted of only 2,000 to 3,000 men, and that these were mainly well-trained and -equipped knights.

The Confederates of Schwyz were supported by the Confederates of Uri, who feared for their autonomy. They were not supported by the Confederates of Unterwalden, who expected the army to approach from the west near the village of Arth, where they had erected fortifications. The size of the Confederate army is also disputed, with estimates ranging from 1,500 to around 3,000 or 4,000. Nevertheless, regardless of their size, the Confederate militia lacked the training of the Habsburg knights, who were also better equipped. According to a legend recounted in Tait's Edinburgh Magazine in 1852, one Habsburg knight, Henry Huenenberg, recognising the superiority of his force and possibly concerned that victory over a "rabble" would be a disgrace, or in an act of chivalry, shot an arrow with a message attached into the Confederates' camp, telling them that the Austrians would advance through Morgarten on 15 November and that they should return to their homes.

In response, the Confederates prepared a road-block and an ambush at a point between Lake Ägeri and Morgarten Pass, where a small path led between a steep slope and a swamp. When the Confederates attacked from above with rocks, logs and halberds, the Austrian knights had no room to defend themselves and suffered a crushing defeat, while the foot soldiers in the rear fled back to the city of Zug. About 1,500 Habsburg soldiers were killed in the attack. According to Karl von Elgger, the Confederates, unfamiliar with the customs of battles between knights, brutally butchered retreating troops and everyone unable to flee. He records that some infantry preferred to drown themselves in the lake rather than face the brutality of the Swiss.

John Guilmartin states that: "[An] important and enduring discovery was made by the Swiss [at this battle. They] learned that an unarmoured man with a seven-foot (2.14m) halberd could dispatch an armoured man-at-arms. Displaying striking adaptability, they replaced some of their halberds with the pike, an 18-foot spear with a small, piercing head. No longer outreached by the knight’s lance, and displaying far greater cohesion than any knightly army, the Swiss soon showed that they could defeat armoured men-at-arms, mounted or dismounted, given anything like even numbers. With the creation of the pike square tactical formation, the Swiss provided the model for the modern infantry regiment".

Within a month of the battle the Confederates renewed the oath of alliance made in 1291, initiating a period of growth within the Confederacy. In March 1316, Emperor Louis IV confirmed the rights and privileges of the Forest Cantons. However, Leopold prepared another attack against the Confederacy. In response, Schwyz attacked some of the Habsburg lands and Unterwalden marched into the Bernese Oberland. Neither side was able to prevail against the other, and in 1318, the isolated Forest Cantons negotiated a ten-month truce with the Habsburgs which was extended several times. Within forty years, cities including Lucerne, Zug and Zürich had also joined the Confederacy. The Confederate victory gave them virtual autonomy, and for a time, a peace with the Habsburgs that lasted until the Battle of Sempach in 1386.

This is a peculiar and distinctive medieval clash which would be challenging to do on the tabletop. The Swiss were always a killer list in most games, but a skilled Austrian general could pull off a flanking move to change everything.

mediafire.com/file/ltrrxb4d2bgkxpb/Osprey - MAA 094 - The Swiss at War 1300-1500.pdf
mediafire.com/file/jbnm8prrz1443g4/Osprey - MAA 166 - German Medieval Armies 1300-1500.pdf

Any new ideas for the next community project?

Something concerning peace and brotherhood? It's almost Christmas soon and the theme would be fitting.

Perhaps chaplains, monks, missionaries and the like?

I said peace and brotherhood.

Then humanitarians?
You know not all religious people in war are zealous crusaders?

So, a Welshman and his sheep?

A good reason to put together a little diorama with these guys I've had in my drawer for years. I support this

And the models...

Now we're talking!

>Something concerning peace and brotherhood?
Perfect time for me to model some police units like my feldgendarmie.

Anyone going to Warfare in Reading next weekend?

I might be, willing to meet up if I do go.
Which day?

BORÅS
O
R
Å
S

PSC are apparently running a KS for 15mm plastic Frogs to go with their current C&C WWI boardgame thing.

I'll there Saturday hopefully.

Tyvärr inte

Even though it's just up the road, nah, because it's a pain in the arse to navigate due to being insanely cramped.

>missing out on the hwg hampshire/near to berkshire meet up because it is too cramped
bad decision

Not all of us are able-bodied. Warfare can get cramped to the point of being outright dangerous.

Thanks user, I'll upload these to the Victory Games folder tonight

I have some questions.

What are these 2 or 3 kinds of things that strap to the bottom of boots?
What are they called?
What purpose do they serve?
Why do they strap to the bottom of of boots?

Thank you for your help. It's hard to describe things to you players when you don't know know what they are called.

The first and third guys are wearing gaiters, designed to tuck your trousers nicely into your boots
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaiters
The second one is wearing standard cavalry trousers with the leather lining and a stripe down the side

>tfw living in a place where there is absolutely no /hwg/ scene and stuff is extremely unavailable
God fucking damnit, I hate this place. Kinda wanna start playing historical wargaming but I can't buy anything here, and the stuff is bloody expensive anyhow.

I can't be the only one whos sick of kickstarter. I dont understand why they can't just release the expansion. This is now the third time theyve done this game. At this point you should know whether or not people want to buy it. I understood why the core game and even to an extent the tanks expansion were on there but at this point?

thank you very much.

so the thing that looks like a vertical strap going from the cavalry trousers to the bottom of the boot is actually part of the spurs he is wearing?

tabletop simulator may be helpful to you assuming you can find someone to play and either find a pack of approriate models to import

Seeking XTR Command and 3W Wargamer Vol #1 magazine scans with game. Would really appreciated Command #2-20.

Anyone here play test of honor? Really want a good historical skirmish game. Looking at either that or possibly saga.

Age of blood has to be one of the best historical skirmish games I've played. Super simple but ends up feeling nice and crunchy somehow. Lots of room to make fun houserules and has a great built in campaign system.

It's very hard to tell but you could be right; I initially thought it was a loop sewn at the bottom of the trouser leg which stopped it riding up, but that would more likely be worn inside the boot anyway, so let's go with stirrups

so some uniforms have loops like that?

Some trousers, especially the supertight hussar type, had loops like that, yes
Together with braces they were designed to keep the trousers as tight as possible
I know from personal experience these loops would squeeze into the insteps of your feet and become really uncomfortable after a while, I don't know how these guys could have worn them for days on end
It's hard to find a decent picture of them but this should give you an idea

How good is Team Yankee 6mm? I've heard it represents it better. Or should I actually use some other 6mm Cold War ruleset?

Go for Fistful of TOWs, user
mega.nz/#!igEVGADL!_DGgV1UaxfVOsu8Pjw_P5eiupa0-KdTLfLlq77YQ5i4

Hell's Highway (1983)

This game is an operational level simulation of the greatest airborne campaign of World War II. In September of 1944, three Allied airborne divisions dropped up to 60 miles behind German lines in Holland to seize and hold a series of roads and bridges until British ground forces could break through the front lines to link up with the paratroopers- to create an open road to the heart of the Third Reich. Until now, the tragic yet fascinating story of Market-Garden has not been simulated on a level that allows an appreciation of the entire campaign, without bogging down in endless detail. In Hell's Highway, players trace the leaden movement of XXX Corps along its jammed highway, drop the gallant paratroopers on the key bridges, and launch the unexpected panzers against the grim Arnhem defenders. Three scenarios and numerous deployment options allow players to explore the battle with historical hindsight, or to experience first-hand the confusion of those bloody days.

mediafire.com/file/qurj517v9zj3gx5/Victory Games - Hells Highway.pdf
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2077/hells-highway

Lee vs. Grant (1988)

This game simulates the decisive 1864 spring campaign in Virginia during the American Civil War, nicknamed The Wilderness Campaign. Players control the Union and Confederate armies which took part. The game is played in turns that represent five days. A unit's strength point represents approximately 2,500 men commanded by a leader. The map is a 1:200,000 representation of an area between Fredricksburg and Petersburg.

The game is split into two: Basic and Advanced. The basic game introduces players to the concepts of movement and unit activation. The advanced game adds sea movement, supply, and additional leader rules. Victory conditions depends on the scenario being played. Lee vs. Grant is arguably the first game in the GCACW series by the same designer albeit from a different (though related) publisher and with a different map art style.

mediafire.com/file/yq1d17ddobkmukr/Victory Games - Lee vs Grant - The Wilderness Campaign of 1864.pdf
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5680/lee-vs-grant

>Or should I actually use some other 6mm Cold War ruleset
TY isn't a cold war ruleset - its an ahistorical 'WW3" ruleset that conforms to the desires of the designers rather than presenting an accurate "what if" for the cold war. (although I'm sure you know that!)
From what I can gather from FoW threads they leave out important units like the Mi-8 and generally ignore the real attributes of vehicles and make things how they imagine their wacky WW3 should be.
They took all the failures of FoW and then added more failure and misguidance :^)

Fist Full of TOWs on the other hand is a much more accurate cold war game, which was designed from the ground up to be fast and effective (starting out as a 2 page draft iirc). It grew over the years to incorporate pretty much every unit, stretching as far back as 1914 so you could even game WW1 and WW2 with it.

FFOT seems like a very solid ruleset - everything about it is well thought out and simply handled.

Unsure if pic related or not

Test of Honour is a good game if you're totally new to wargaming, but used to board games.

That said, it's not a bad game, but it's not very deep.

Saga, is probably my favorite game right now, even if it's only thematically historical. I'd wait on picking up the rules though, as Saga v2 is due soon. It's never too early to paint up Vikings, Anglo-Danes/Saxons or Normans though.

>Fist Full of TOWs on the other hand is a much more accurate cold war game, which was designed from the ground up to be fast and effective (starting out as a 2 page draft iirc).
I think the intention was to have a 2 page draft but there never actually was one because it was too ambitious. But it was designed to be as fast and simple as possible while still being satisfyingly realistic through things like unit stats on a single line and turns that should take no more than 15 minutes each.

The game struggles a bit before 1950 just because the stats get very low and that has issues with granularity, and stuff after 1990 doesn't quite simulate the advances in command and control right, but it's an impressive piece of work for something of that scope to remain that playable and works really well for that 1950 to early 1980s zone.

>Saga v2 is due soon.
For real?

Also how are the Conquest Games plastic Normans? I was thinking of grabbing one of each (infantry and cavalry) for making Saga stuff.

>For real?
Supposed to be released early 2018

>Also how are the Conquest Games plastic Normans?
Personally, I like them. A few not so good parts (bit soft details, swords and scabbards are moulded as part of the main body, too many bodies in maille and not enough without), but well worth the price. I would probably advice you to also get the medieval archers (even before the plastic infantry) since archers are more useful than foot spearmen. Either can be converted to crossbowmen.

NotBut I've got the plastic mounted Normans. They're perfectly acceptable, but if I had it to do again, I'd go with metals, partially for what says. I don't have any experience with the foot soldiers, but one of these days I may get around to picking them up.

Also, don't forget that the plastic Normans will work for anything from pre-1066 Norman activities throughout the 3rd Crusade, so it's a pretty versatile kit.

I forgot to mention -- at the moment, there's no reason to pick up foot Normans, as there's nothing for them to do in Saga. All the abilities are keyed to mounted units and bowmen.

That may change in v2 though.

Does anyone have the pdf for chain of command, by toofatlardies?

Did you try checking the OP?

Do you guys ever have problems with contemplating the fact you are recreating wars and battles that actually happened which involved mostly young men who had no ill will toward one another gunning each other down or having their insides ripped out from various weaponry, or burned to death, and think about little officers going to little houses to tell their little families that tiny John Doe will never be coming home and tiny Jane has a breakdown while tiny John Jr. watches from the staircase and doesn't completely understand but knows that something is wrong, eventually acting up in school and possibly dropping out because of the stress of having lost a tiny father in the war and enduring either a single parent household or a step-father he doesn't get along with, potentially slipping into tiny alcoholism, maybe knocking a tiny local girl up who he'll never be around to support, eventually hanging his tiny self in his mid to late 40's?

Nah.

nope. That's just crazy.

Oh boy now I am gonna need to make myself a little orphanage with a strict but kind headmistress.

Why pay production costs when you can crowdfund it and cover them easily, if not more?

If people are still willing to give money to KS, it's still a viable business tactic.

Tank Charts on flaming media

/file/s621ocv238rjws1/Tank_Charts_GHQ.pdf

Please add to the trove.

Enjoy

You will find it in the Trove

I had fun doing this last year, so why not do it again. Write me if you want to participate.

I will repost this until Dec 1st so everybody has a chance to join, please excuse the slight spam.

hwg-Secret-Santa-2017 AT yandex.com

Se La guerre mon ami.

Fucking Christ man, learn where to end a sentence. My eyes are bleeding.

Also, no.

Thanks for the advice. I'm torn between getting the plastic Normans, the metals from Warlord or grabbing some metals from Perry Brothers.

no

You are totally overthinking it

I'm planning on making my brother a historically themed chess set - probably WW2. How would you guys recommend going about this? I would ideally like to use 28mm stuff

I'm working on the same thing, although I've decided to go with 6mm scale to get tanks on the board since thats the only way I can think to accurately represent the various pieces in the period.

Which nations are you planning on using as the sides?

yeah

Thank you, user.

I was planning on doing German vs Soviet or British

I was thinking doing something like 15mm, then having mortar/artillery teams as bishops and rooks, then tanks as knights. Maybe a plane as the queens?

You're going to need a very big board if you plan to get 15mm tanks on as pieces.

I've also found that the only thin that fits the role of queen is aircraft, thinking of using a stuka for the germans. At 6mm I was planning on using armoured cars like Pumas to represent knights on account of their superior mobility, tanks as rooks, mechanised infantry as pawns and artillery as bishops.

Bumping request for Bad War.

Have ye tried not being obese?

Have you tried not projecting your flaws onto others?

LAV-75

Are there any examples of "modern" hex and chit games? Something in the style of the old Avalon Hill games but simpler/faster in play?

Cool! One of best wargames I ever played!

Nah, I got over John Sr's death eventually, and now wargame. Don't be a faggot.

That does seem like a far more reasonable idea come to think of it...

Is that place anywhere north of Toronto?

Beautiful, I will upload it tonight
I know some anons have been looking for this

There are modern ones, but I don't how much more or less complicated there are
GMT seem to be the big company these days, but the stuff in our Next War folder certainly seems as complicated as any old AH/SPI game
You could check out pdf related, it's very light

To clarify, I meant modern as in "game that was made recently/uses more modern design philosophy" not "game set in modern era".

I'm not even in the Northern hemisphere. Though, I am moving to New England around August next year, so there's that.

That is definitely GMT, but I believe they're still as complicated (and expensive) as ever
Here's their Conquest Of Gaul, it should give you an idea of how things in h&c are now
mega.nz/#!XskwVIrR!S2KU6IsmQbS_mZy7_1GSjflX-Qed8FOo6FBzhRnGPjk
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7843/caesar-conquest-gaul

Someone like ASLAnon who has actual friends in the industry will know better, though

so what's the verdict on balance for Lasalle, and Blucher?

There seems to be complaints about large units in lasalle, but I'm not sure if they're isolated or not.

It's been a few years now since Warlord bought Pro Gloria. The initial statement said that Warlord was gonna take over production of all the metal models in addition to the plastic ones.
As far as I can tell they only put time into the Landsknecht miniatures so far.

Is there any hope we'll see this blacksmith again for example?

Does anyone play Chqrlie Dont Surf? I don't think I've ever heard any discussion

So what are my options for dark ages skirmish games? By skirmish i mean low model count (sub 20 optimally) and models move independent of one another. I've found Age of Blood but there's a distinct lack of Anglo-Saxon warbands for my tastes.

Blonde stache, heavy brow

Anyone here play any battlegroup? I'm excited for northtag as a TY substitute.

You can just make up rules for playing as anglo saxon in age of blood. Nationalities only give like one small bonus anyway, it wouldn't exactly be hard.

There is a serious lack of good historical skirmish games. most of them are only "skirmish" in name I feel. I've been looking for something to use for a war of the roses skirmish and there's pretty much nothing. Fucking sucks.

So I was looking at some of the metal Macedonians that North star sells, and was wondeding how they comoare size-wise with Warlord's plastics?

Tank Charts (1978)

Not a lot to say on this one, other than it's a solid set of 1:285 WW2 armoured wargaming rules

mediafire.com/file/u51nh539kktz0ty/Tank Charts (GHQ).pdf
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/13706/tank-charts

well done mate

nice find

anyone interested in a small AAR of a CoC game the other day?

Tell us about your CoC, user!

Buddy and me played our 3rd game of an ongoing operation Cobra campaign (at the sharp end campaign rules). On the German side the men's opinion of their Leutnant is at minus 6 after a very very heavy loss of the second game (with a -1 to begin with since he's a hardcore Nazi and most of his men don't like that) and he was invited for an interview without coffee before this round. Also they went into battle with their second replacement NCO.
The Americans faired better with "only" minus 4 opinion wise. Both. Platoon leaders are bloodthirsty bastards it seems.

After the Germans won the first probe and then lost their follow up attack on the Americans, both parties were back to square one.

The game begun with the Americans deploying a squad into a cobbage field on the left.

The Germans followed suit by deploying their gruppe into the orchyard across the street and opened fire. The Yankees lost one man and took a shock. A firefight broke out after they shook off the shock as the seargent got into the fray and ordered them to return fire. The Americans had the better cover behind the Stonewall compared to the light cover of the Germans. They on the other hand had their mg42. But the Americans were the better marksmen or so it seemed since they rolled five 5 and 6 on 7 dice and the German NCO was hit and wounded. Outch.

So wile the NCO was bleeding out the Germans deployed two more Gruppen. One to in a field the left and another one covering the bocage in front of the orchard.