Flames of War General: Stripes is Here Edition

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935 odd resources

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/

vimeo.com/128373915

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf
flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Which army do you play the most?
strawpoll.me/4631475

what actual country are you from?
strawpoll.me/4896764

DISCORD
discord.gg/drZbxvm

docs.google.com/document/d/1JWmbvVANUraO9ILWJZduRgiI9w4ZC3ytNUQE8rK7Xrw/edit?usp=sharing an "i want to get a starter set" for late war.

Do you play TANKS? what is the local scene / meta like? (multi)
strawpoll.me/12127794/r

Soviet Brainstorming Batalon Discord
discord.gg/BfbxDSp

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1mG3BvkT6YQ
wwpd.net/2017/11/fight-outnumbered-and-win-us-army-in.html
commandocomics.wikia.com/wiki/Valley_of_Secret_Weapons
btassault.wpengine.com/bf-qa-fow-v4/
youtube.com/watch?v=KbKmhtkbjn4
youtube.com/watch?v=WIueVjAmHzA
team-yankee.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5872
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So, people going to get some of the new US troops from Stripes?

Red army tank crew ambushed outside Osnabrück by local Fehrnsehen forces 1944 (colorized)

some humvees might be cool

Today I learned that the typical combat frontage of a Soviet tank company was around 650 meters. At 15mm scale that is 256 inches. When we molest the scale to be a """scale"'" in the battlefront sense it's still hard to imagine an entire company of tanks compressing themselves into an area less than two feet across. Why did BF make the decision to promote Napoleonic tank squares colliding with one another?

M-60 spam might be fun, 4 point tanks = 14 105mm tanks for a full company with 44 points left over.

Literally double the amount you would get for Abrams in tanks for the most of the same stuff. You have much worse front armour, worse remount, lose the advanced stabiliser and go slower. But if you are playing defensive/go slow you have twice the guns to put shots down range, shredding targets.

b/c BF does 15mm miniatures, and wants you to buy them. They cannot afford to swap scales at this point unless they go all-in on something smaller.

Issue is that many people don't want to play it smaller. There are people that like big models so they can see how nice they look. There are also those that like having (more) proper scale in the units and distances, enjoying the spectacle of large groups of troops.

Problem is, BF doesn't do market research, and even if they did, how sure could they be about switching to a different scale?

If BF does any marketing research, we would have seen T-80 & Mi-8s in Red Thunder, and Bradleys instead of the other white elephant in the room in Stripes!
That and Hero REDFOR formations because frankly being a HATO punchbag is only fun the first twenty games (if you can actually afford the army).

/NVA/
youtube.com/watch?v=1mG3BvkT6YQ

The need for 15mm loli tank commander figures intensifies.

Is there a Canadian Army for this game?

company b, yo

Team Yankee? not yet, though they're rumored to be next.

Flames of War? Plenty of canuks, mostly in Overlord, Market Garden, and Road to Rome. There's also some in the digital content for Nachtjager (canadian paras).

Nachtjager (means Night Hunter)

I've bought a set from Company B, but will gladly shell out my hard earned yennies if they make more characters/generic tank commander lolis.

you can't convert or repaint?

Anzio has twintails...she's all you need for Hatsune Miku....

Ahh I see the US is getting more experimental weaponry.

Anything I should know about the new edition? I bought the starter box a while back but it's been sitting on the shelf for various reasons since then. Been debating sinking the money for paints and finally finishing the models in the starter box up. Kind of annoying to realize getting the Army Painter sets for getting everything in the box painted costs more than the miniatures did.

What's this? An article that is critical of Stripes? on WWPD of all places?!

wwpd.net/2017/11/fight-outnumbered-and-win-us-army-in.html

How good is Team Yankee 6mm? I've heard it represents it better. Or should I actually use some 6mm Cold War ruleset?

A Fistful of TOWs is a really great ruleset for 6mm cold war games. The rules are extremely well written and can cover a large number of armies and periods.

I read the fuck out of these when i was a kid and ii never remember them going full insane like that...

thats not real right?

There were definitely some insane ones, I distinctly remember one involving time travelling ghost soldiers and another where a British squad fought ninjas in the jungles of south east asia.

>thats not real right?

Published December 1963 as issue 98. Republished October 1971 as issue 591. Republished December 2011 as issue 4455.

commandocomics.wikia.com/wiki/Valley_of_Secret_Weapons

I might have a problem...

Yeah, FFT is pretty good. Covers pretty much every contingency (engineering, chemical + nuclear weapons, high-tech gizmos). If nothing else, it is a great reference for vehicle/weapons data and military organisation (223 pages of unit orgs and weapons data (without pretty pictures taking up space)).

Other popular coldwar rulesets include Modern Spearhead, Cold War Commander, Saber Squadron, Brigade Commander, and Maneuver Group.

If you are looking to do 6mm from the start, consider TY only if others already play it in your area or if you like FoW-style gameplay.

>btassault.wpengine.com/bf-qa-fow-v4/

Not too surprising answers to questions from battlefront. There are a few worthwhile tidbits.

>Books next year include Avanti (Italians), British 8th Army, 2 Eastern Front Books (presumably german and soviet), and a book for other NATO forces for TY.

>No second desert book for Germans but Gepanzerte Panzergrenadiers will be in the Eastern Front book and can be run in Africa.

>Italian infantry will be metal and the gun crews will be soft plastic.

>Soft Plastic is here to stay. Battlefront thinks they have worked out the major issues.

>a few vague references to the long lost end of the war complication but no time of release given.

>soft plastic is good, we're confident we worked out the bugs
>also we're doing the Italians in metal

Ah, I see your problem, you took a picture from far away. You need to take a few steps forward and take multiple pictures at the new position.

I'll reshuffle to try and get some more space, and then I'll take quite a few pictures (and with a real camera, not the bloody phone). I'll just need to get the time.

So just how cheers'ed are we expecting MW Soviets going to be next year?

Broken as fuck due to the v4 "improved moral mechanics" or "hit on a 1+" troglodyte warriors?

- Firepower of all stands halved as one man has the gun and one the ammo.
- Commissars can execute a man for morale bonuses
- Conscript stands automatically set off mines, use them to clear a path for tanks!
- Bomb dogs added to Soviet lists

If the proposed changes they were floating earlier are any indication we're looking at autohit 6+ skill super spuds.

Oh boy!

>Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of WWII,jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=KbKmhtkbjn4

Finally going to an event this weekend, 1680 late war V4. It's pretty rare that stuff gets played here so I'm really looking forward to it.

Going to bring my HG tank company out.

HQ: 2 Pz IV H
1st platoon: Pz IVH, 2 Pz IIIM, 1 Pz IIIN
2nd platoon: Pz IVH, 2 Pz IIIM

3 scout squad HG Pz Scout motorcycle platoon

2 Flakpanzer 38(t)s

Full Fallschirmjaeger platoon with panzerfaust

1 Tiger I

4 10.5cm leFH18 howitzers

youtube.com/watch?v=WIueVjAmHzA

Sexy list user. I think it will do pretty well. Having a single supporting tiger ace will let you be extremely flexible with it. Fallschirmjagers can help cover an objective. Do they all have fausts or just the commander?

Your Flakpanzer 38(t)s will be a little squishy, so I would keep those hidden.

Just the commander, it's like 100 points to fit the whole platoon with them.

Just be aware that you will have some issues dealing with heavy armor

No doubt but it's mostly US players here. Pz IIIMs can swiss cheese US tank destroyers and have a solid shot at knocking out shermans.

Yeah, I used Ms in my last tournament. RoF 3 decent AT at a good price. Should be even better with stormtrooper. I was using training tanks.

The worrying one was in that Q&A. No heavy artillery... so basically none of the good stuff.

We’ll see what they end up giving us. The 122mm sits at a weird spot compared to the heaviest guns and the 105s we already have. Either way even in MW it seems that tubes aren’t as price efficient as medium mortars and lighter artillery.

Just look at this amazing salt mine!

Does it contain a directors cut of Event Horizon?

Thoughts on this list? We play a V3-V4 hybrid that has V4 reserves and 75% losses of combat/weapons for morale, but that's still mostly V3.

Airlanding Company (Nachtjager means night hunter Digital)
>HQ -
CiC SMG, 2iC SMG - 60

>Combat -
Command Panzerfaust/SMG, 5x Rifle/MG, PIAT, Light Mortar - 230
Command Panzerfaust/SMG, 5x Rifle/MG, PIAT, Light Mortar - 230

>Weapons -
Command Rifle, 2x Observer Rifle, 4x 3" Mortar - 140
Command Rifle, 4x OQF 6pdr - 160

>Total - 4 platoons (4 company), 860 points

Airborne Armoured Recce Company (Nachtjager means night hunter Digital)
>HQ -
CiC White Scout Car, 2iC White Scout Car

>Combat -
4x Locust - 160
Command Universal Carrier, Dingo - 70

>Weapons -
Command Rifle, Observer Rifle, 4x 4.2" mortar - 170

>Support -
2x M10C 17pdr - 185

Total - 4 platoons (3 company), 655 points

I could also swap out the M10Cs for gun team 17pdrs+transports, then add jeep transports to the 6pdrs and 4.2" mortars. That'd make the midweight guns a good bit more mobile, but would remove my ability to easily redeploy the 17pdrs (transports being quite a bit more vulnerable than SP guns).

If, in theory, I wanted to run Chieftains would this, in theory, be a good list for it?
In theory?
I'm new please be nice.

Chieftan Armoured Squadron HQ (p.19) - 2x Chieftan (12 pts)
- 1x Upgrade Chieftan with Stillbrew (1 pts)

Chieftan Armoured Troop (p.20) - 3x Chieftan (18 pts)
- 3x Upgrade Chieftan with Stillbrew (3 pts)

Chieftan Armoured Troop (p.20) - 3x Chieftan (18 pts)
- 3x Upgrade Chieftan with Stillbrew (3 pts)

Swingfire Guided Weapons Troop (p.21) - 3x Swingfire (6 pts)

Abbot Field Battery (p.37) - 4x Abbot (6 pts)

Scorpion Recce Troop (p.34) - 2x Scorpion (2 pts)

FV432 Mechanised Platoon (p.25) - 4x CPMG with 66mm anti-tank, 3x Carl Gustav anti-tank, 1x 2" mortar, 4x FV432 (7 pts)
- 2x Milan, 1x FV432 (2 pts)

FV432 FOO (p.38) - 1x FV432 FOO (1 pts)

Tracked Rapier SAM Section (p.39) - 4x Tracked Rapier (6 pts)

FV432 Mechanised Platoon (p.25) - 4x CPMG with 66mm anti-tank, 3x Carl Gustav anti-tank, 1x 2" mortar, 4x FV432 (7 pts)
- 2x Milan, 1x FV432 (2 pts)

TOW Lynx Helarm Flight (p.40) - 2x TOW Lynx (6 pts)

100 Points

Scorpions are the actual best and you need more of them.

Fuck it, imma try a simple soviet list
I've never played, just like the guy above

T-64 Battalion

6 pt - HQ T-64B
33 pt - 6x T-64B w/ ATGM
33 pt - 6x T-64B w/ ATGM

18 pt - 9x BMP-2 company

2 pt - 2x BMP-1 Recon platoon
4 pt - 4x ZSU-23-4 Shilka

4 pt - 2x 9K33 Osa (SA-8 Gecko)

I have no clue how effective this would really be, but I want solid tank units. I also want to fit some 2S3 Acacias in, but I am told that arty is not good for anything but bailing/pinning.

How effective is the BMP-1? I would like to save some points on the transports if possible.

What should I drop in favor of them?

The points for the BMP-2 are the most worth-it thing in the game.

Okay, does the list look good then?

Try this.
BMP-2 Battalion 100pts
2pts BMP-2 HQ
24pts BMP-2 x12 Company
24pts BMP-2 x12 Company
24pts BMP-2 x12 Company
6pts BMP-2 Recon Platoon x4
4pts SA-13 SAM Platoon x4
4pts Shilka Platoon x4
Support
8pts BMP-2 company x4
4pts BMP-1 Recon Platoon x4

Simple, effective and easy to learn/play for a newcomer due to low unit variety(means you have to remember less). It's also fun to beat back the capitalists with the unstoppable tide of the Red Army!

45 BMP-2s...
Holy shit.

It is fun to beat The Capitalists, true. But I would prefer to do it without a horde. You are suggesting I go from 30 vehicle and 15 infantry teams to 57 vehicles and 70 infantry teams. No thanks (I get that mech inf are cost-effective, and BMP-2s are glorious, but no).

I was joshing you with that list mate, it's pure scum to play against/play(I know because I have once). Your list is pretty damn good and I wouldn't mind playing it myself/playing against it. Only thing I would consider changing is making the T-64 platoons 4 tanks each and grabbing one more (3x4 instead of 6x2) for more target saturation/flanking options, but that's just me and my play-style the larger unit size works fine.

I was considering the 3x4 setup, but I am worried about small units disappearing too quickly due to morale.

That all said, 100 point lists do not seem to be played often, so here is a 75 pt list

BMP-2 Battalion

2 pt - BMP-2 HQ

18 pt - 9x BMP-2 company
18 pt - 9x BMP-2 company
27 pt - 7x T-64 w/ ATGM

2 pt - 2x BMP-1 Recon
4 pt - 4x ZSU-23-4
2 pt - 2x Strela-10M (SA-13 Gopher)

2 pt - 2x Shturm

whoops, should say 5x T-64B w/ atgm, not 7

Are people usually willing to play smaller point games? I'm this user and I'm hesitant to spend 429 bucks on a 100 point list right off the bat.

The game seems to be in it’s sweet spot anywhere from 60-80 points.

100 is certainly playable, but it’s on the high side. Even if BF tried to promote that as the standard.

Also, online stores like The War Store typically have better prices than buying through Battlefront.

team-yankee.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5872

We Wargame now, welcome to mixed force cancer.

I'm kind of excited by this, they added in Warsaw Pact ones at the same time. At least they didn't pull a dick move like making it so that only Americans could do it.

Well, better than only Murica having it... I guess...

What dis guy said.
Not that I'm really keen on bringing anything else with my wegees but at least my soviet colleague can bring some T-55s to the table.

Welp time for a 75 pt PACT list now

Red Banner BMP-2 Battalion

2 pt - BMP-2 HQ

18 pt - 9x BMP-2 company
18 pt - 9x BMP-2 company

3 pt - 2x BMP-2 Recon
4 pt - 4x ZSU-23-4
2 pt - 2x Strela-10M (SA-13 Gopher)

3 pt - 3x Shturm

VolksArmee Panzer Kompanie

3 pt - HQ T-72M

11 pt - 4x T-72M
11 pt - 4x T-72M

Alternatively have the T-72Ms replaced with T-55AM2s (HQ + 3x [6X T-55AM2]), but again I really don't want to see hordes vs a handful

From 5 tanks up to 9 or 19 if I feel like taking twice as long with moving and shooting

Honestly I'm glad everyone gets this now. It means I can run my East Germans alongside my Soviets and have it be legal.

Also fuck you, Wargame is amazing.

We talking the videogame Wargame (European Escalation, AirLand Battle, Red Dragon)?
Because that game is fun.

Blatantly obvious they did this as a zero effort we-fixed-it-so-shut-up to soviet players. Still a blatant afterthought.

TY is dead in a year. Nobody will be playing the tyranid faction and without their punching bag NATOboos will get bored of endless training exercises.

I wasn't knocking the game, just referencing the shitty balance situation AirLand Battle ended up in, where every single player's army was a stupid minmax multinational force. Red Dragon only "fixed" it by condensing the problem to more authentic coalitions.

Well they added it for Germans, DLC Germans, core Americans and Brits as well.

This is a good business decision from Battlefront, but letting each army mix and match kinda takes the flavor from the army. It also further fucks balance. Get ready to see Brits with gepards and tracked rapiers. I have 0 interest of having anything to do with a TY tournament.

A 100 points force of 2 East German T-55 battalion and a Soviet BMP battalion with T-64s (proxy).
Hinds have own infantry.

“4-3:The Army List”

Nicely painted though.

Uh, isn't that 101 points?

T-55 Batt (12 pt)
1pt - HQ
2 pt - 3 T-55
2 pt - 3 T-55
2 pt - 3 T-55
2 pt - 2 SA-13
2 pt - 2 ZSU-23-4
1 pt - 2 BRDM-1

T-55 Batt (12 pt)
1pt - HQ
2 pt - 3 T-55
2 pt - 3 T-55
2 pt - 3 T-55
2 pt - 2 SA-13
2 pt - 2 ZSU-23-4
1 pt - 2 BRDM-1

BMP Batt (54 pt)
1 pt - (BMP-1) HQ
18 pt - 9 BMP2
8 pt - 4 BMP2
25 pt - 5 T64
2 pt - 3 BRDM w/ ATGM

Support (23 pt)
2 pt - 3 BRDM w/ ATGM
5 pt - 3 BM21
1 pt - BMP OP
12 pt - 4 Mi24
3 pt - big landing party

Just drop a single BRDM+ATGM and you'll be fine.

4-3:The Army List?

Nearly everything is a minimum sized unit. If you are scoring like for a tourney, you are going to lose enough units to knock your victories down to 4 points to 3. If you are playing friendlies, MSU just lets you spam out like double the tanks you'd ordinarily be able to. It's tedious as hell to play against, but this isn't a bad offender because 25 pts are spent on T64s.

For when you really need to suppress the enemy.

BRDM a cute! CUTE!

I just remembered that I have pictures from the Bovington Tank Museum, have another cutie (this time with accessories!)

bump

I still say that bottom one doesn’t make any damn sense.

A single tube mortar bombardment is just silly.

It should have been given a direct-fire stat.

I don't get it, what is so good about tiny amounts of small ordanance?

V4 rules abuse. All arty is base FP 4+, and 1-2 guns is only ~half the effectiveness of 3-4 guns. So a single 60mm mortar does about 1/4 the damage a 4-gun heavy cruiser bombardment does, but costs ~30 points instead of 300.

lol

>V4 rules abuse.

Right, but how likely are we to actually see this on a regular basis?

Sure, some asshole is guaranteed to do it, but I doubt it’s going to be the next BMP spam.

I think we could probably go back to the old threads and see people say that BMP spam wasn't going to be a thing. Whether or not people spam mortars, platoons like armored rifles get a single tube for next to no points. V4 points are jacked up in this regard.

>T-55 spam is not going to happen because we made them resin.

:^)

Even without PSC, people were buying fuck-tons of the damn things.

Nevermind that people actually got enough resin tonks to do the spam even before the PSC version was announced.

How come the US gets the FIST-V? 1987 is two years too late.

>nobody will take 30 Matildas
>nobody will take 50 Cruisers
>nobody will take 65 T-26s
>nobody will take 35 BMP-2s
>nobody will take the entire T-55AM inventory of East Germany
Battlefront unambiguously wants players to spam to compete and I don't know why anyone argues otherwise.

It seems like French and/or commonwealth nations next for TY. Anyone wanna throw around ideas for what will be inside the next book? Formation/unit, stats, etc?

I am hopeful for lots of light armour (AMX-10RC, VAB, etc), with better stats across the board compared to soviet armoured cars obviously (Phil will make sure)

ie AMX-10RC
Tank team, Infra-red
Murican Skill/morale
Armour 4-2-1, hit 4+
Speeds - 10", 14", 20", 40", cross 3+
105mm, range 40", RoF 3-1, pen 19, laser rangefinder
7.62mm MG (normal 7.62 stats)

2 points per, come in units of 2-3, with 4 units allowed per formation.

French light armour (or any commonwealth forces) = new NATO spam to fight VA spam

m8 we have eyes and can see it. Don't know how much BMP-2s were planned, but the East Germans and MW was no accident.

cancer?
who is kidding who?
this is Fookin' Great!

Milans, milans for days.

Is BMP spam all that common?

It’s this big boogeyman here on Veeky Forums, but I have yet to come up against it myself.

Same with T-55 spam.

I keep hearing about it, but I’ve yet to actually see it firsthand.

>Murican Skill/morale

For the French? I doubt it.

They were only prepared to fight up until the last West German.

>Don't know how much BMP-2s were planned, but the East Germans and MW was no accident.

I think you give BF too much credit. Sure, they sell models and want you to buy stuff, but I can’t help but think that a lot of the stupidity that exists in some of the rules or the list building options is just that. Stupidity.

You don’t have to assume some malice or conspiracy exists just to explain away something that can legitimately be dismissed as simple idiocy or lack of understanding the consequences of their choices.