Lets make Veeky Forums's very own ygo format

lets make Veeky Forums's very own ygo format

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/jCC4DZ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Best archetype.

haha yes

Jesus, that jump.

The only cards allowed are cards that are otherwise banned.

No Effect Monsters.

Only normal monsters.
Maybe a special rule to accommodate using the trashier monsters (ie nominal life point gain for using weaker monsters or something)

Trinity format

>Summoned skull beatdown format
I will never understand old YGO fans

nostalgia is some powerful stuff

That's why I suggested a rules tweak. I don't just want the same old Vorse Raider/Summoned Skull spam, I just want to see the cards no one played get played

Even with life point gain, there would be no reason to use the weaker cards in a normal monster beatdown format. Why care about LP gain when you can keep slamming your opponent

Of course that's a terrible compromise. I just wanted to throw something out to get the ball rolling.

Something that restricts you to having jank like most of the characters in the show. So rarity restrictions and something else like a card pool restriction like in sealed events in mtg.

Fun fact: Summoned Skull beatdown was never a thing. Not even in the first 1998 Japanese tournaments where you could count the usable effect monsters on one hand.
The reality was something way more cancerous and unfun; everyone simply ran max copies of their staples. Every deck was literally the same, because not running 3x Pot of Greed, 3x Mirror Force, 3x Monster Reborn, etc meant you were at a ridiculous disadvantage. The game was so raw and brutal that wasting advantage summoning a tribute monster that would just get instantly blasted normally meant defeat. It makes things like Haymaker format in the Pokemon TCG look appealing.

The game only started to allow creativity and had a semblance of balance towards the end of GX-era, once the banlist had been implemented and everything settled down, and we started to move away from goodstuff.dek and into more customizable and varied archtypes.

The only people who actually want to go back to that era are people who never played near a competitive level.

>phantasm spiral tier 0 format

>implying Veeky Forums care about tcgs other than "muh strategic mtg"

This. It's a sad day when I have to say that I do need other boards besides Veeky Forums. And that board is fucking Veeky Forums of all fucking boards.

It would be a shame if Kaju'D

>No level 4 monster with over 1600 ATK
>No level 4 monster with over 1800 DEF
>No level 4 or less effect monster with over 1000 ATK or DEF, unless it comes with a reasonably detrimental effect
>Types that generally have lower stats should have more general support
>Archetypes should be limited to no more than six different cards
>All spell and trap cards that are allowed are limited to 1
Build on to it or fight me. I don't care.

This is more like making a new game using Yugioh's rules than a format

fuck you
here's a deck that follows everything that spams monsters
stats don't fucking matter, only 1 of every s/t means nothing when every deck is limited by this
this is the magic equivalent to creatures with only 1 effect and 5 lands max

No gemini elf boooo.

Then build on to it. No one's stopping you.

I didn't intend for it to be a full and finished ruleset. Just a starting point.

MTG player here. MtG has sucked ass for an entire year, probably since Battle for Zendikar hit shelves. I'd welcome another TCG to finally overthrow Wizard's stranglehold on this board.

Its not gonna happen. Veeky Forums is too autistic to play yugioh. All they can see is "wow monster spam so degenerate" and completely fail to see the game behind it. Also Yugioh only has 2 formats: Normal and Duel Links, so a majority of the braindead casual magic crowd wont flock to either.

has any archetype fallen further from grace?

you are allowed X special summons per turn where X is the current turn #

Final Destination, no spells, no traps, level 5 and above normal monsters only.

Have you considered Highlander decks? It screws over some cards that specifically require multiple copies to function, but even high-end meta decks can't function as well under Highlander rules.

Can't use archetypes that were introduced post-GX, which implies no Synchro/Xyz/Pendulum/Link shit.

Nah but
>effects must be 140 characters or less in length

Ban all xyz, link and pendulum monsters/archetypes.

>Being a Nostalgiafag
Old YGO is just as shit as Modern YGO. The game has literally never changed at the competitive level. It's always been about who has the most busted cards that Konami prints.

Casual enviornments thrive under the newest rules, you're just butthurt that Beaver Warrior hasn't been good since 2001.

What made YGO work for me in the beginning was that it had an actual economy. You get a summon every turn, and to summon more powerful things, you had to sacrifice card advantage for Tributes, and for Fusions and Rituals, you needed specific cards in hand too. This helped keep the game more reasonably paced.

I think, on their own, Synchro and XYZ are also an excellent addition to the game. Because they make lower level Monsters actually -matter-. Synchro's Tuners and exact-calculations made a lot of lower level Monsters serious contenders, and XYZ was a great way to shine a light on levels from 1 to 3.

Really, the problem I always had with YGO as a kid was... why's there even a distinction between Levels 1 through 3, 5 through 6, and 7 and beyond. Why wasn't it just "Level 1", "Level 2", and "Level 3"? Synchro and XYZ are justifications for that.

Let me save everyone time and tell you exactly what every MTGfag thinks would """fix""" the game.
>I read at a third grade level so there shouldn't be effect monsters.
>I never actually played competitively so we should go back to the original meta which I only played with other retarded children at school two decades ago, making me an authority.
>Obviously every game should be a 1:1 Magic clone so let's introduce a resource system and limit what a player can do every turn.
>I am literally a luddite so new mechanics scare me, as do fire and the wheel. No post-GX cards. I don't even know how they work.
>Archtypes are no good. I don't want everyone running their own unique archtype. I just want every deck to be exactly the same, where everyone just runs the best generic staples with no room for creativity.

wew lad

Konami only has to keep beating the franchise to death until cost-effective hologram technology becomes widespread to the public. Because as soon as any of you have actual working duel disks, you'll play this game no matter what the meta is.

He's not wrong, although he's a bit inflammatory about it.

I propose to place a per turn summoning limit on all types of summoning
1 normal summon
3 special summons
2 fusion/synchro/xyz summon

or something like that
numbers can be changed to your liking but just having any reasonable limit will keep the OP decks from cycling through all their best cards in a single turn

It would also be great to streamline spellspeed and chain resolving but I would not know how to go about it

Why? Literally why? Why does everyone insist there be a resource limit?

To keep OP decks from cycling through all their cards in a single turn
Did you not read my post?

Taking some speed out of the meta decks would allow a larger amount of decks to viable
Is playing your favorite archetype/deckstyle not the whole point of ygo? Why not tinker with the rules to allow more decks to flourish?

> why's there even a distinction between Levels 1 through 3, 5 through 6, and 7 and beyond. Why wasn't it just "Level 1", "Level 2", and "Level 3"? Synchro and XYZ are justifications for that.
Monster levels do usually reflect their power level. Lvl 1s will have shittier stats and weaker effects than a lvl 4 a majority of the time.

>What made YGO work for me in the beginning was that it had an actual economy. You get a summon every turn, and to summon more powerful things, you had to sacrifice card advantage for Tributes, and for Fusions and Rituals, you needed specific cards in hand too. This helped keep the game more reasonably paced.
The game economy was perfected around the DUEA format. Every single deck was an entire resource you had to carefully manage to not burn out and in turn you had to find out how to burn out your opponents deck without losing. Shaddolls were the absolute pinnacle of this, along with stuff like Nekroz or even ritual beasts.

What's OP about those decks? Wouldn't your rules also significantly hurt many lower-tiered and rogue decks by imposing those limitations on them? What's actually WRONG about players being able to actually play through their decks and use their strategies?

Thank god you do not balance for the game.

Got some formats that I've played with a few friends. They work well.

Slow format
>Monsters in attack position who are level 4 or lower cannot be targeted by attacks. If you only have level 4 or lower attack-position monsters on the field, your opponent can (only) attack you directly.
>>Monsters with in defence position and/or with 5 or more levels can be attacked as normal.
>Monsters can be normal summoned in attack or defence position. Monsters who are flip summoned can change to attack position or remain in defence position.
>>Monsters who are flipped face up but not flip summoned remain in defence position, as normal.
>Monsters have summoning sickness; they cannot attack the turn they are played
>Player who goes second starts with an extra card in their hand
>Players have 10000 life points
The point of these rules, besides slowing down the game, is to allow weaker monsters to stick around on the board even if your opponent has an overwhelming lead, with the intended effect of boosting Tribute Summon strategies and plays that take more than one turn. These rules work best in a format where Synchro/XYZ/Link Monsters are not allowed, and players need to rely instead on Tribute Summoning and Fusion; I recommend playing with these rules in a format without a heavy Extra Deck focus.

Protagonist format
>Each player's deck must contain at least 10 monsters, 5 spells, and 5 traps.
>Each player's deck must contain at least 40 unique cards.
>Each player is entitled to one free mulligan at the beginning of the game. Shuffle your hand into your deck, and draw that many cards.
This format is a "soft" singleton format. Extra copies of cards can be played, but players are disincetivized from doing this. You can only have extra copies of cards if they go above a standard 40 deck size. The singleton nature is intended to make the game feel like an episode of the manga/anime, while the soft nature makes it less punishing on strategies that require multiple copies.

Haven't played since pendulum was added desu but back when I was active every single top tier deck relied on cycling through their powerhouse cards by chains of special or synchro summoning with the occasional XYZ in there
I'm not saying to get rid of this, just saying put an upper limit to it
I don't think reducing special summons to 3 (or 4 or 5 for all I care) would break lower tier decks
Why do you guys insist so much on protecting the meta decks? At least when I played they were repetitive and neither interesting to play as or against

>making a new game using Yugioh's rules
This sounds like fun, in fact, fuck even using the rules at all. How would you make an entirely new game using only Yugioh cards?

A some of the top tier decks dont even special summon at all. The only thing your rules do is kill petdecks that do utilize special summon spam and encourage this guy to take over the meta again.

Anyone feel like designing a Yugioh cube?

Like I said I haven't played since pendulum started being a thing
I think my suggestion would have helped the meta from back then
If the current meta looks completely different then I'm obviously wrong and my suggestion should be ignored

>Do a normal tournament at the start of the year
>any card that is used in the top 16 (or 8 or 4 or whatever) is banned
>Play normally
>Start of the next year, do that again
There ya go

Please just make tributes stack

Some already do

Limit the extra deck to 5, 10 if you only use one card type

On normals you obtuse faglord

Just play Speed Duels, then. They're generally more casual-friendly to begin with.

>Whenever a monster attacks, it is set in defense position at end of turn. At the start of your next turn it is set in attack position.
Would this make the game better?

>All monsters are Spear Dragon
>Zero Gravity and Labyrinth of Nightmare bypass this
>Doesn't even curb how fast meta decks ramp up
No. Be honest, now, when's the last time any of you faggots saw a game of YGO that wasn't a cherrypicked video of shenanigans that rarely work or from a tournament?

I'm the guy you are replaying to.
I haven't played the game in 10+ years (and even then only on the GBA/DS videogames).
My idea was to give more of an edge to balanced monsters, but I guess is one of those things that need to be implemented when the game is being created, like the land thing with MtG.

I've been playing since the very beginning and have kept up with all of the new rules and the metagame and other shit. I'm also a game designer that specializes in the mechanics of tabletop games and card games so there's that. This game's core mechanics are FINE. They have always been fine. Every change to the core mechanics has been an overall improvement on the game, with precious few exceptions.

The ONLY problem, as it has ALWAYS been, is that Konami cannot into and will not into card balance. Complaining that Modern YGO is cancer is like saying that every colorless artifact that grants mana is busted and cancer simply because Black Lotus existed at some point. I really can't stress that enough: ONLY SPECIFIC CARDS AND SETS OF CARDS ARE THE PROBLEM. COMPETITIVE YGO IS AND WILL ALWAYS BE A JOKE OF BALANCE. Casual YGO with some buds using a blend of accessible cards, both modern and older, is the best way to play this game.

>Just play Speed Duels,
Not looking for speed m8

It's just the name of the format, although the rules DO tend to make the games pretty quick.

I think the issue with this thread is that MtG players are used to a way slower game and all of their attempts at formats just boils town to arbitrarily slowing things down.
>YGO: Turbo like mad
>Vanguard: Both players have 3-ish turns of breathing room
>Buddyfight: Turn 2 turbo or slugfest
>MtG: Waiting Game

Literally all YGO needs is a stricter banlist for truly busted cards. Even some decks that are meta right now would be fine if they had a few of their key cards hit to 0/1/2.

Hell, if you really want to go a blanket statement route, put a limit on specific rarities. Say you can only have like 15 Super Rares total or 10 Ultra Rares in a deck. Cards that you physically own but are available in a non-restricted rarity don't count against you. It'll kill some casual decks like Cubics that have only been printed in high rarities, and some decks that are meta at low rarities still get to run free, but you clean a LOT of the shit out and encourage people to balance their deckbuilding more. It's an inelegant solution but it's easy to implement and better than "just slow down the game lol".

but what about non-meta decks like d/d/d that have almost only rare+

>Non-Meta Decks
>D/D/D
Those are still meta in OCG, especially with that Archfiend Link coming soon. Besides, thanks to the core engine and the structure deck, most of their key cards are available at low rarities, and they don't even have a particularly foiled ED.

Damn dude this is like your 8th cringey post in this thread, get out before all your dignity is gone

OTK's are boring and the only people who have fun with them are combo monkeys who just wanna win

YGO is honestly the only game where you can do quick and fun combos. A combo in MtG takes like 4 turns and honestly isn't even a combo, but just stacking some generic effects over the course of a few turns or just having a fuckton of mana to let you make a lot of plays at once. Plays in MtG aren't very connected most of the time and usually you care more about the endgame objective than you do the methods used to get there.

This is part of the reason MtG and YGO fans don't typically get along: they're entirely different games with playstyles that are polar opposites, and retards on both sides don't understand that every game doesn't have to play the same in order to be fun.

Imagine if YGO players showed up in MTG and kept insisting that Magic was shit and that they had to get rid of lands to fix the game and that Arabian Night was the last good set and that they missed the good old days of Black Lotus and that keywords other than Flying and Trample need to be removed.

Try Codex, it's not collectable so you have less to lose by trying it.

this is true, End of GX is as fun to play as pendulums meta if you're just looking for fun
if you haven't played with two structure decks minimally edited or unedited you haven't played the game as it is truly meant to be played
haven't played in the Links meta yet but Firewall Dragon seems busted beyond repair

>and kept insisting that Magic was shit and that they had to get rid of lands to fix the game
To be fair, lands are a shit mechanic, only persisting in the game because they are so ingrained in the mechanics.

Firewall Dragon is an outlier, much like how Stardust was deceptively good early on in the mechanic's lifetime. Most other Links are fairly balanced or trend towards the "okay", with only a couple of genuinely bad ones.

Can we add this just to ban it?

Continue

If we want to make it significantly different to Yu-Gi-Oh I suggest adding a resource mechanic. Maybe using monsters as energy similar to Duel Masters?

That's literally Buddyfight which may as well be Bushiroad's YGO

You have no idea what you're inviting into existence so stop while you're ahead.

That's also literally just Force of Will.

>Gofu is limited
I've been away for far too long.

Hey FoW user, you want to learn some Buddyfight online?

No it isn't. FoW has a separate resource deck, and a leader which makes it pretty different.

user who suggested resources as energy here, I'd be interested in learning.

No thanks. Bushiroad has burned me one too many times, so I have 0 confidence in their ability to keep a game functional for longer than 6 months.

Excellent. The only online program is Buddyfight Area.
On the other several cards in the game have a gauge cost. At the start of the game you have 2 cards in your gauge from the top of the deck. Each turn after you draw you can place a card from your hand into the gauge and draw a card essentially giving you a small mulligan every turn.
There's also a size limit for cards on your board so you can't flood the field with heavy beaters

Storm and Twin are OTK combos. There are other combo-based decks that rely on heavy synergy over a longer period of time as well.

Okay, I have the program, is there a discord or something you want to jump in?

discord.gg/jCC4DZ
This is a great discord for Vanguard and Buddyfight and everyone is helpful

Okay, I'll jump in the voice channel, give me a minute

Which voice channel should I jump in?

Nobody uses the voice channels. Just say hi in #buddyfight and we can set you up

I have never in my life felt anything even to my current level of THIS for that post

Man, every time I see one of those thumbnailed and click on it, thinking it's a Ritual monster, I'm disappointed.
Depends, what does Pot of Greed do?

USE
FUCKING
KEYWORDS

After that, put actual thought into card design.
Konami doesn't really care much about balance besides selling cards and banning the good cards after a while to sell more cards

Why do people not understand Keywords that keywords would barely do anything

Make it funner than that, each monster zone can only be summoned to once per turn.

It would make the rulings 50% less retarded