There are so many types and flavors of role playing games...

There are so many types and flavors of role playing games, but you are still almost exclusively playing high fantasy using D&D. Yes, it's easy to run and everyone is familiar with it, but it's not like D&D can do anything and high fantasy has its own limitations too.
What stops you from trying other games?

Mostly, people play what they enjoy and play what they're familiar with. I think that about covers it.

>What stops you from trying other games?

I like to actually PLAY.

Yes, DnD is total shit that uses archaic outdated mechanics in a world where magic basically does anything and everything and caster supremacy is the law of the game.

But DnD is also the game that people actually PLAY, so my choices are to sit around butthurt about what I don't like about the system, or swallow my butthurt and actually get to participate like the rest of my friends.

Nothing. I can run whatever I want and my groups trust me. I've just found the ones I like best that do everything I want, so I don't really have the desire or significant enough gain to venture out any further, except to read and absorb new ideas and perspectives from which is nice.

P.S. D&D is not among my favorite games. But the principle still applies people who are simply satisfied with D&D alone because it suits their needs.

This, every time I try to make my players play something besides DnD, after the first session they're like "That was fun, but lets just do DnD next time."

I hate it. DnD is such a garbage system, after running it for years I've come to despise so many things about it... but you basically play DnD or you don't have a game.

I don't suppose there are any non-d&d troves out there? I'm counting Pathfinder and OSR as d&d.

Organizing games for/with nerds is a pain in the ass. I have a job and other hobbies, and I'm happy running one-shots and short campaigns. It's easy finding players for one-shots in dnd 5e, but fuck me if I'm going to try to recruit for a more obscure system.

Also, now that I've learned dnd I can't really be fucked starting over. That's the honest reason. I know other systems may be better for what I want (high-level dnd doesn't appeal to me at all, it's too crazy), but I can easily accept it. Most games don't go there anyway.

I run Pathfinder despite being fully aware of its flaws, because there's such a huge variety of classes and monsters to choose from that I can always make interesting encounters. Other fantasy RPGs just seem to make a core book with the most generic classes, maybe a monster book with all the goblins and ogres everyone's seen before, then throw in the towel.

>but you are still almost exclusively playing high fantasy using D&D

I dont use d&d since many years ago, dont read it and most of the tmie don't discuss it

>d&d is created and get famous
>its the first rpg so (since its famous) you have all those extreme amount of rpg players with different point of view of how a rpg should be, playing the exact same rpg
>after some amount of time playing some players discover some stuff they think are flaws, while discover some rules they think are really awesome
>because they have very different views on what a rpg should be (despise playing the exact same rpg), what some guy think is a good idea wont be considered a good idea by the other player, what some consider a shitty idea will be considered a good idea by other rpg
>new system is made based at this enviroment, and create a mess of a rpg system.
>many of those players quickly jump into the new system, expecting fixed to what they think are flaws
>because the players have very different opinions on what rpg should be (despise playing the same exact system), what is a flaw to some is a fix to another, and what is a fix to another is a flaw to someone. So the system CAN'T be fixed.
>all those extreme amount of players quickly jumping to this new system, bring new (to rpg) players to the new d&d system
>this make the game have an extreme amount of rpg players with different point of view of how a rpg should be, playing the exact same rpg
>because they have very different views on what a rpg should be (despise playing the exact same rpg), what some guy think is a good idea wont be considered a good idea by the other player, what some consider a shitty idea will be considered a good idea by other rpg
>new system is made based at this enviroment, and create a mess of a rpg system. No one knows what the system/d&d is suposed to be, because it was created based on a mess.
>the story continue ad infinitum

Mostly finding other players for obscure games is what stops me. Sometimes I do find people interested in something new, but it never lasts longer than 6 months.

So I have the desire to run weird RPGs, but rarely the audience.

My own incompetence.

Whether or not my friends have the time or inclination to learn a new ruleset. Usually the preferred method is for me to have a slimmer one-shot with premade characters so the can learn through play, though with some games I'd like to try (Fantasy Craft, for instance) that would be more awkward and cumbersome than everyone coming to the table with at least a little understanding and some guaranteed interest in their character.

Currently running Open Legend for them because I was explaining how I liked the way you build characters in it and it somehow slipped into a group character building thing. Turned out they liked it more than I did, but I'm not complaining.

But I am not playing D&D, I am running L5R and one of my players is running Deadlands.

Which L5R? The original one by John Wick, or something else?

Nothing. I'm no faggot, I generally avoid DND and its clones.

I'm trying to get other games set up right now.
IRL, I'm trying to get a game of 7th Sea going. I'm thinking of using Roll20 to run short arcs of other games.

I find D&D and it's clones repulsive, yeah. I can barely stand the D&D-isms in 7th Sea.

We're going along fine in 4e. My group has not been impressed by 5e and wouldn't touch the d20 version with ten foot pole.

You know, D&D-clones are not the only role playing games out there. Certain D&Disms are pretty frequent, but there are many other schools of thoughts that are not based on kitchen-sink design approach.

High barrier of entry. most people will only play dnd and with second, maybe just maybe wod/warhammer/star wars, everything else comes in a far distant third I can't find players for them.
Take Ars Magica for example, which is arguably qutie popular among the "unpopular" crowd. The game itself is great but it requires comitment, you need a consistent group, you need regular bookkeeping, the attention to details is also detrimental as the players feel like they need to know everything about medieval history.

So players start Ars Magica thinking its wod mage but better, they heard it has the best magic system ever and 5th edition is quite good. But they meet with intensive medeival history, making more than one character and their excessive bookkeeping and requirement of a long streched out campaign (most of the bookkeeping is done due this) they quit after the second secession.

Its not a new player friendly game. Though I found ways to cope with it. Make ready character beforehand, skip the whole covenant design process, only using the core rulebook and disregarding all the other mechanic and lore stuff for later etc.

>you are still almost exclusively playing high fantasy using D&D.

No I'm not. D&D accounts for a minority of all the hours of tabletop RPGs I've ever played. Call of Cthulhu is probably what I've played the most of, and even that's only a plurality of hours. And I've played in settings ranging from pulp adventures in 1890s Ethiopia to gritty horror in the town we were then living in.

>almost exclusively playing high fantasy using D&D
I stopped playing D&D 10 years ago, and haven't looked back. There are so many better systems that do exactly what I want, and the best part is, that the quality of the players that I encounter is consistently high now.

I hope you and everyone else is able to have my level of enjoyment as well.

I have not used DnD in so long. I play Anima, tri-stat, and a smattering of other systems including alternity, mechwarrior rpg, etc...
also made my own system and ran a few games in it. so id on't know what you are talking about

It does what ~I~ want, user, and thats exactly what you say matters, so pleasde, keep your high-handed, self0-righteous, overbearing egotism that you know what's best for me to yourself.

Thanks.

I've played plenty of other games. Over 20 different games. So fuck off.

People. People stop me from trying other games.