media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/;
How many of your adventures (excluding Out of the Abyss) have led to the Underdark?

Other urls found in this thread:

mipui.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

0 (including OotA)

Xanathar leaks when?

4e is fun and features better balance. However I do enjoy 5e and like the framework in 5e better.

>not checking the trove before asking

WHY THE FUCK WOULDN'T YOU PUT THAT IN THE OP?!

because you could stop being a lazy fuck and check the trove every now and then

Can anyone help me out with a link to the Orcpub databases? thx

It's the biggest release in 2 months, c'mon man.

I'm having a weird mental block. Somebody answer this question for me:

Wizards wear pointy hats and scholarly robes. Warlocks wear fancy suits and vampire capes. Sorcerers wear wizard robes without the hats. Druids don't wear anything. What do Bards wear?

Costumes.

Do I need to come over, click the mouse, and work the keyboard for you too user? I expect to be paid if you askI read the book to you.

Weren't they going to put the Mystic in Xanathar? What gives?

whatever the highest fashion is

they are often seen as eccentric but their extensive travelling helps them cultivate exquisite taste

What's your policy on reusing characters?

Nope

what creatures can teleport?

A couple of them.

Depends on how far you get with them. If I got to say, level 6, or really developed the character in some way, I wouldn't want to start over with them. But if I just used them for a few levels I will sometimes use them again.

Gith

You're the DM. Any creature can if you want it to.

That's retarded.

Handy little map tool
mipui.net/

I have a question for y'all /5eg/
There have been plenty of people who complain about the weakness of martial characters, the power of caster characters, and how gishes, what is supposed to bridge the gap, either is too strong, doesn't work thematically, or is just too weeaboo fightan magik shit.
So my question is: How would you fix the gish? Or, if you hate the idea of gishing, how would you fix the martial/caster disparity? Anything other than giving the fighter more options in/outside of combat or changing the rules of spellcasting? Or what?

Flumphs.

They've somehow managed to teleport to the worst of all possible settings.

It fine as long as they are still alive, undead or something else.
No one can in a forbiddance zone.

Martial using 9th level spell with disadventage.

All spells are rituals. The casting time of a ritual can be reduced to 1 minute.

How can I contribute some decent damage as a Cleric if everybody in the group if fine and doesn't need any healing or buffing?

Say an enemy is holding a torch/lantern and a player wants to extinguish it with a bucket of water. How would you handle it?

I just make short rests 15 or 20 minutes so they have their short rest abilities almost every encounter. If you only let people short rest once or twice per day, you'll definitely need to buff martials substantially

Lots of fire.

first thing you have to realise if what you are making is better than the eldritch knight
if it is, something is wrong

im working on a gish that is more magical than an eldritch knight, but less blasting, less hp, less AC, less damage in melee AND ranged in exchange for greater utility (getting access to plane shift like a caster would for example)

Oath of Arcana paladin.

Like the Arcana domain, or a reverse Theurge/Divine Soul.

I couldn't disagree more. You're probably just making encounters too difficult.

Spiritual Weapon

Depends on your domain and level. I'm playing a tempest cleric and I consistently deal some pretty good damage, using my Channel Divinity, Spiritual Weapon and a battleaxe. And if enemies hit me I can deal reaction damage too, but it's been rare.

Tempest or War, heavy armor and shield
Spirit Guardians, Spiritual Weapon
Toll the Dead, if your DM lets you take it

How would that work? What would be some of the things you would give it?

So you like the EK because it gives blasty spells on top of their sword swinging? Kind of like the Bladesinger?

Give Martials more ribbon abilities that act like cantrips/rituals/low level utility spells.

Brainstorm ideas for a water campaign go!

Like what?

Above or below?

I use the eldritch knight as the standard for a balanced gish

I just want something with more utility, but worse in every way in combat

Like Grease.

>A good fighter always knows to keep a tub of pig-fat around. You can cast the Grease spell once per short rest.

>I just want something with more utility, but worse in every way in combat
Beastmaster ranger

Majority above or around with periods below

I've given my party's champion the physical aspects of Enhance Ability as a ritual.

Just make it so Fighters can start punching through stone and shit around the time Wizards start getting access to 7th level spells and shit.

The problem will always be that Fighters can't impact the narrative the way Wizards are. The sooner people accept that high level D&D characters are literally superheroes the easier it gets. Superman can affect the story as much as Zatanna can.

A truly dashing knight and hero of the people should have an ability like the friends cantrip. With a wink of an eye he can woo a commoner or damsel.

thats LESS magical than an eldritch knight

When you take ten on an attempt to destroy an object, you may use 20 plus your relevant mods instead of 10.

EKs' blasting isn't the main draw, it's just something that shores up a weakness other Fighters have (no real AoE). Eldritch Strike lets their sword-swinging augment their blasting too for when you need it.
The real good thing about the EK is that you can pump your defenses sky-high with Blur, Shield, Absorb Elements, etc. while still keeping up good damage output and control with War Magic.

Pull so Odessy shit. Sirens attract the party's boat to an island, it crashes on the rocks, party has to work for the people who live on the island to build another boat.

well, and they have insane burst with hold person action surge

>enemy fails save
>action surge
>8 crit-if-hits
>hundreds of damage literally

I like both of these. I'm thinking of houseruling that a player can increase their physical stats above 20.

Interesting. I always think of gishes as more focused on using magic to augment their martial abilities. Extra defenses as stated above, plus stuff like Haste, the Smites, etc.

>8 crit-if-hits
What's that from?

For some reason this thumbnail was hilarious to me

I'm pretty good with the options WOtC has given us, I personally think the Stone Sorcerer + Hexblade was the best "Gish" class of them all.

You ever notice how half-casters don't have cantrips but third-casters do?

any hit on a paralysed target is a crit

>there are actually people who thought the stone sorcerer was OK and not part of the problem

this is why we will never have a good gish

That mostly has to do with paladins and rangers being pseudo-martials more than half-casters.

I agree with you on the most part. The sorcerer is a really squishy class with more blasty magic than augmentation magic. The problem with it comes with the fact that it is way too easy to multiclass into and gain the benefits of it's gishness without committing to it. The hexblade is a bit better, but still not great from a multiclassing standpoint.

What are appropriate deities for a Conquest paladin?

I was gonna go with Laduguer being a Duergar and all but he seem to be stuck in a limbo between being a footnote and... dead.

Yeah, or you can attack them first to give disadvantage on the save for Hold Person with Eldritch Strike (at level 10). It's unclear to me from the wording of Eldritch Strike if you give disadvantage on *every* save for Hold Person, or just the initial save (which I think was the intent), but either way it's strong. Especially if you attack 2 different targets, then cast it at level 3 to give them both disadvantage.

>8 crit-if-hits
Hold Person > Action Surge > 4 attacks (at level 20) that auto-crit. Unless you hold them the turn before.

wat

Oh, for some reason I thought Hold Person stopped when you damaged them.

Classes with extra attack don't really need attacking cantrips, and that was probably just to make them feel less like half-casters and more like martial classes with spells, but it does seem like rangers should at least get druidcraft or something

If that's not supposed to be Hogwarts I'll eat my hat.

Stone Sorc + Hexblade is SAD to the point of being broken, honestly. My favorite is EK/Abjurer for the 4e Shielding Swordmage idea.

part of the reason I think hold person is completely broken but I thought that went without saying on Veeky Forums

I play monk. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've tried mixing the two to varied results. I love the flexibility in turn choice (Main Action -> Move Action -> bonus) but 5e just wasn't balanced for this so it doesn't quite work out.

Doesn't look much like the movie Hogwarts if google is anything to go by. No idea what it's like in the books, only ever read the first one because I had to as part of a university course subject (contemporary American and Brit lit, part of a larger 1-year English study).

Also things like
Warcaster -> Booming Blade opportunity attacks from an EK. Fireball, Action Surge, Fireball.
Generally being able to Action Surge arcane buff yourself (Haste, Enlarge, Blur, etc.) and still swing a weapon a bunch of times on the first round.
And yeah, Absorb Elements. With Shield Master feat, as long as you spend a reaction, you basically have Evasion, taking either half damage or no damage from Fireballs and Dragon's Breath Attacks.

I love playing an EK.

If you want a 'fool' style bard maybe something like this?

it's a generic fantasy environment
Hogwarts is a generic fantasy environment

That's flexibility in monster design. If an encounter is improved by the extra mobility/shenanigans then it's not retarded, retard.

>Castle on a hill
>Next to a lake
>Near a forest
>Hippogriffs

I thought only spells with the tag (ritual) were rituals.

>play Monk
>DM (and everyone else at the table) confuses stun with paralyze
>everyone I bop gets a full round of crits

Still... right above the list of English names? Suspicious.

>tfw I've never successfully used stunning strike.

Armor of Cosmic Wizardry [Full Plate Armor]
Legendary, Cursed

This set of +2 Full Plate Armor can never be doffed, and bounds itself to its wearer immediately, sleeping in it doesn't cause exhaustion, though, its strength requirement is null.

As soon as bound to this suit of armor, the wearer's Strength, Dexterity and Constitution scores become 10, unless lower. His or her Wisdom, Intelligence and Charisma scores become 20, unless higher. He or she loses all weapon and armor proficiencies (but the person is still considered proficient in this armor) as well. You lose proficiency in acrobatics.

When learning a new spell, you can add a spell from any spell list to your spellbook, as long as it is of adequate level, it counts as a wizard spell for you. When copying a spell to your spellbook, you can do so with a spell from any list as well, and it also counts as a wizard spell for you. You gain proficiency in Arcana.

>This armor only binds itself to barbarians and fighters, but not to Eldritch Knights. If a player who has any class levels in a different class tries it on, the armor ejects them to drift through the Astral Plane.

What do you guys think? (I'm using it as a trap/plot hook)

They do get to save every turn, and it only applies to certain enemies, but yeah it's definitely very strong for a level 2 spell.

How did everybody who ran Strahd handle Izek? I can't decide whether he'll immediately try to take Ireena by force upon seeing her with the party, or whether he'd wait a few hours to make a move with multiple guards.

>sunlight
>water
>terrain with green flora

if that's not supposed to be earth I'll eat my hat

What's the fucking point?

That is true. What I was suggesting is that all spells become rituals. High level spells would still have some limits on per day use.

it's stronger if there are a lot of humanoids in your campaign. Most of the time humanoids are phased out as baddies of note by about level 5.

>Stone Sorc + Hexblade is SAD to the point of being broken
I agree. I said it was the best for a reason, it's really powerful. If they release a final version of the class one day I hope to see it in a much more balanced state.

Wait, Ranger Revised isn't in Xanathar's guide. Why isn't it in there?

RR is going to be free

>I love playing an EK
Me too, friendo. I wish they got a little more than Thunder Step and Shadow Blade in XGE, but whatever it's a ton of fun.

Wait, Pact of the Chain warlocks get Magic Resistance?

Don't forget you also have steel wind strike as a bladesinger.

>run a campaign with a very common type of enemy
>suddenly blindside players by having the same enemy start doing crazy shit out of nowhere

You're dumb.

Depends on DM, but most will say no.

Are you a player or DM? Cos the disclaimer to ToA says a lot about the expectations of that campaign.

CAST— OFF ARMOR
Armor (light, medium. or heavy), common
You can doff this armor as an action.

Let reflavor it as a belt.

Then make it obvious that the enemies are different this time around.

Like if they've been fighting goblins now the goblins look weird and ethereal because they're not chronally stable, be fucking creative dude.