media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/;
Command: strike, betray, surrender, agree, sign, and rally. How would they and their ally react to these command? Could I chain my command as long as they are not 30ft apart from person to person or is it 30ft from the person of origin?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/930976499280232449
1d4chan.org/wiki/Godwar
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Shadar-Kai ELVES
>Raven-Queen

YOU CAN'T MAKE YOUR SHITTY PERSONAL RULES QUESTION THE THREAD TOPIC YOU FUCKWIT

>YAAAAS QUEEN

>new elf options have constricting lore

fucking hell WotC who did you diversity hire to do this shit

Ah well, best to ignore the lore (again).

The worst part to me is the Grugach, who are just a needless second stat block for wood rlves with marginally different-from-vanilla lore

When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can affect one additional creature for each slot level above 1st. The creatures must be within 30 feet of each other when you target them
>within 30 feet of each other
Point of origin. It a one time charm spell without them knowing.

Mearls added the Greyhawk Elves, Crawford added the Shadar-Kai at the insistence of Mercer.

??? Grugach have different stats (+1 Str instead of Wis), lack the bonus move speed, have different weapons in their Elven training feature, and swap the hide-in-mist shit for a Druid cantrip. It's different enough.

Free druid cantrip? Sign me up for Grugach! I'm thinking Shape Water or Shillelagh.

>Dwarves still only have three subraces
>Elves have like 14

But they're still literally wood elves, lore-wise and by what the mechanics suggest. Having both in the same game world would feel stupid, and the choice between the two for a custom game world feels arbitrary. Then again, in the core books we do have both half-dragons and dragonborn...

Anyone have any good pictures that would work for a Human Grave Cleric?

>both grasslands africans and plains natives are just field humans, having both of them in the Earth setting feels arbitrary

Working on top down Ravenloft maps. Finished outer walls, and main floor.

Take a look, any feedback is welcome. Very basic, no fluff, just grid and walls maps.

Thats not how it works you little shit

Personally, I can't believe we have four subraces for "humans who live in the snow".

If an evil divination wizard makes a saving throw and he wants to use portent to make that roll a 20, but a good divination who can see him wizard wants to make that same roll a 1, who wins?

forgot to export main floor map I'm an idiot...

The last one to roll.

they cancel out like lucky. either that or you make them roll an intelligence check against each other to see who uses their portent and who wastes theirs

Anyone not playing in the game with two Divination Wizards, holy shit

What are some ideas for long-term goals a druid could have? Protecting nature always feels like such a lame thing to have as your primary motivation, if anything it's more of an ideal than a goal.

twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/930976499280232449

>I encourage players to reskin classes/subclasses/backgrounds liberally. Take the class/subclass/background that fits the function you want for a character, and then tell your character's unique story.

If you ever hated your classes fluff remember you can change it to whatever you want.

What are the best shitty dark world settings? I already know Ravenloft and Midnight.

How about spreading your ideology / religion among the local people to help ensure a future for your patch of wilderness?

>BAW WHY WIZARDS DO STUFF BESIDES SHOOT FIREBALL WAAAAAW

Why is this a bad thing?

So if an eldritch knight has 5th level spell slots from a multiclass (Eldritch Knight 3/Wizard 8), When they select whatever spell they want when they level can they pick 5th level spells?

Plenty of Wizards do that.
"lol no i win / you lose" isn't interesting, though, just mechanically powerful.

The multiclassing section of the PHB explains the rules for spell slots when a character has spellcasting capabilities from two classes.
/crawford

Should Celestial Warlock still take eldritch blast? It seems like they want Sacred Flame to take the place of it, but Eldritch blast is still probably better. Sacred Flame being situational for enemies behind cover.

Except when you're a power tripping DM who gets a boner when they control everything

It's not its just a reminder.

Hope this kills the shitty "you have to justify your multiclassing" fags.

thinking of doing scourge aasimar zealot barb for the flavor, what are the thoughts on the subclass?

Wizards could do stuff besides shooting fireball even if they were just the base class and didn't have fucking archetypes. In fact, you could probably still argue for wizards being superior to sorcerers if that was the case. Divination is just a very strong archetype for a very strong class

You could probably fluff the Eldritch blast to be more holy/radiant.

Is it just me or does the Monk suffer from a lack of focus?
I feel like it's trying to be a striker, a skirmisher, and a combat controller, but it's not focused on any of these enough to actually be that good at them, and it just feels a little half-assed compared to the other classes.
Have I just not figured out how a Monk is supposed to be played?

The Multiclass rules say you pick up spells as if you are that class. But EK has a section that says "[When referring to learning new spells]The new spell must be of a level for which you have spell slots" If I have 5th level spells slots I should be able to get 5th level spells even though EKs at that level can't normally get 5th level spells, right?

hit and run my nigga

Yes
Yes
Yes

The intent is muddied, but in practice what you're supposed to do is stun everything

Why would it? Everyone sensible was already refluffing classes and backgrounds, and I'm going to at least ask you for an explanation if you show up for a session saying you now have a level in warlock

The PHB's spell slot rules for multiclasses explain how to assign slots for a character with multiple casting classes.
/crawford

Reality

Olmran

My table's monk would be terrifyingly effective if she didn't have the worst rolls of all time

Seriously, she rolls a minimum of three crit fails per session and I hope that faggot from the other thread who bitched about crit fails not being part of the rules is here so he can get triggered

That would be fine, but focusing on stunning fist requires pumping WIS at the expense of DEX, making your attack and damage suffer.
Oh wait I get it now, you're supposed to take magic initiate and use Shillelagh.

crit fail memes are stupid and everyone except that guy thinks so

Are there any cursed weapons that you/your players haven't ditched IMMEDIATELY?

Please tell me more.
About the terrifying effectiveness, not the crit fails

If my players Multiclass I would still like them to explain the reasons for their different abilities.

Played a Bard/Paladin and I RP'd my character as becoming a Steward to the ruins of an ancient dwarf fortress. No one taught me bard stuff, but it made sense because of what i dictated was my character class. Steward, keeper for the throne and lore.

Basically I think I would still require the player to come up with their own class title just to satisfy my desire for putting labels on things.

Titles like; Herald, Guru, Acrobat, Steward, Seer, Slayer etc etc

>Friend: So what kind of characters did your players make?
>Me : Well we've got a fighter, a cleric, a wizard, and an Oracle!

Does anyone feel annoyed at how reluctant the 5e community is towards making rulings, houserules, homebrew etc. unless it gets okayed by Mearls or Crawford on twitter?

Yes yes they do, in this instance, I have 5th level spells slots as I am considered a 9th level spellcaster (EK 3/Wizard 8), but the PHB Rules state that when you are selecting your spells known you do it as if you are that single class meaning I would only be able to pick up spells of 1st level because a 3rd level EK only has access to 1st level spells at that level. Or am I suppose to be able to pick up higher level spells due to the multiclass increased spell slot table?

Our GM loves making absurd cursed weapons to give to us, and tends to give us more of them than normal magic items.
I think my favorite was the Nearly Vorpal Blade.
It reduces an enemy's HP to 1 if it crits, but it can never reduce anything's HP below 1.
There was also a Mask of Apathy that gave you advantage on all saves against fear and charm effects, but made you always go last in initiative.

meals doesn't get to OK jack shit. Crawford's final wording is all that matters

I can't find anything. Where is this from?

Quite the contrary, i love it. Way too many house rules usually leads to mayhem and people having different notions of rules.

I told my party I was a Sage and it took them eight whole levels to realize I was a Monk because I was wearing full plate for most of it

Looking to run a possible one shot, with only minor changes to things (elves are more deer-like, Orcs are boar people, etc...) Starting in a small village where the party members have grown up in, and ending with the party finding lambeau field in the ruins of what was once Green Bay.

If this became a campaign would most players change their mindset to a post apocalyptic survival mindset or do you think most players would be able to maintain the fantasy aspect.

In the PHB, you will find rules for handling the spell slots of a multiclassed character with more than one casting class.
/crawford

So that's a yes? a no? You don't know?

I understand the rules perfectly and I'm telling you the answer to all your questions is in the PHB. You can't seriously expect me to just, like, answer a yes or no, can you?
/crawford

I've always wondered how people never caught on to this sort of thing.
Like the old greentext story about the guy who never told the party he was a paladin until the very end where he verbally declared that he smites evil.
Like, what did they think all the other paladin stuff he did was?
In this guys case, what did the rest of the party think was happening when you used a bonus action to make two unarmed strikes?

I've never felt that way, but I havent been a player for like...8 months now and even when i was my DM wasnt "plugged in" when it came to the D&D online community, never went on the D&D subreddit even. And I certainly don't run a game where house rules or homebrew are shy.

One of my players is playing a Shifter, but Shifters in my setting are from another planet/moon (Flash Gordon like setting) so we said he accidentally opened a portal when tinkering (he's an artificer) and then we took stuff from Aetherborn to say that the portal's arcane energies changed him. Now he's got some cool ass claw attack that can drain HP. He keeps using it to finish off big bosses, and last time he did it I said "you've done this alot, your Claws are now +1 weapons"

I like Mearls more than Crawford.

I didn't. They thought I was a Ranger because I wore leaves and cast Silence. Any other features were just "I do X" and a vague mechanical description without mentioning feature names. The DM was in on it.

> and people having different notions of rules
This is something that shouldn't be relevant. The DM should perhaps give you a list of things he's going to change from the base game, but in the end it's their game and their play group. A desire for "standardization" with the community at large at the price of the flow or enjoyment of the game by the people you're actually playing with is misguided anywhere but in AL

I appreciate your Crawford impression, but Crawford says yes or no when people ask these questions at some point.

Players dont even read the rules for their own classes, why would they bother to learn classes they arent playing?

why the shit were you in full plate as a monk?

Mearls makes fun rulings to let you do interesting stuff. Crawford tells you to shut the fuck up and do it this way, even if what you're attempting is super non-optimal mechanically and breaks nothing.

Re-asking because I forgot to mention the +8 free points at level 1:

How do you guys feel about this stat system my DM implemented in our new campaign:

8 in all stats at 1st level with 8 points to allocate anywhere, then +1 to any stat at each level up, ignoring traditional score mod at lvls 4,8,etc (still get 1 stat point at those levels.) Racial/feat bonuses applied normally. Says that in order to gain a feat, you essentially spend 2 points (2 level ups) to purchase it.

His reasoning was he wanted us to feel like we were really growing in strength as we leveled. He plans on keeping encountered creatures static (a city guard will always have X hp/AC, a bear will always have X hp/AC).

I don't understand why he feels the need to go this route, but I don't want to knitpick his "system" without having key points to persuade against it other than "it feels weird and unnecessary". We're 4th level atm, so pretty much everyone has like 3 8s.

I just worry that this kind of thinking is built around lategame, and in the 4 other campaigns i've played with him, we've never made it past 11, for personal / life reasons coming up forcing us to end. Why water down the early game?

So you never used unarmed strikes?

She went Shadow Monk. The sheer mobility of this class in addition to the Cloak of the Bat that she has allows her to ping pong around combat situations just shitting out utility and while she will never be the main DPS, she's doing respectable damage when she managed to hit. she's also routinely finding clever ways to make use of her surroundings .

Really the only problem is that even with modifiers, she routinely rolls under 14. It's depressing when she launches into a genuinely good plan only to watch half or all of it fail due to her die being quite possibly cursed

Because Monk features are cool, but waiting forever for your Dex and Wis to be high enough to have decent AC isn't. Just about every Monk feature that doesn't work while wearing armor and using shields or non-Monk weapons is also not something you need if you are wearing armor and using shields or non-Monk weapons.
>oh no I don't get Dex+Wis AC in my full plate and shield... which gives me the same AC as a max stat Monk, nevermind
>oh no I don't get expanding martial arts damage die when i'm using this warhammer or greatsword... which already has higher damage, nevermind
Meanwhile, you're a Fighter who can Dodge and Attack in the same turn, teleport, stun bitches, evade AoE spells, block arrows, etc.

Have you posted this story before or is it that a lot of people do this with monks specifically?

Am I to assume that your game is (in real life) in Wisconsin? Then yes, post apocalyptic assumptions will be in play. Survival? Maybe. Depends on how low their food and water gets.

Expect to answer how the apocalypse happened, eventually.

Maybe a Sun Soul?

I must look into this!

Warhammer and shield. Never needed to punch. I used Flurry of Blows like, twice before the party knew my class, and it was with a stone hammer the character kept whispering to. My guess is the other players assumed this was some property of the hammer (it wasn't, though it was the character's Inheritor background item) instead of a class feature. It was fluffed as a ghostly echo of the hammer blow, but did the correct mechanical damage (1+Str).

I've posted it before, but there's at least one other person here who plays / played an armored Monk MC.

Anyone?

You know what? that sounds fucking hilarious, I'm in.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Godwar

This sounds like a great setting. Anyone played this?

Here's what you get as an armored Monk vs. what you lose. Of note is Unarmored Movement, where you might be able to argue that the level 9 upgrade for it still works if you're armored, despite you not having the speed increase.

>be me
>think this is bullshit because stunning strike has to be unarmed and unarmored
>grab book to look it up
>stunning strike has no such requirement
>mfw you just blew my fucking mind

They won't change their mindset to post-apoc if you don't use post-apoc tropes, even if the setting itself is technically post-apoc. Look at Book of the New Sun and its weird Dying Earth setting. It rarely makes you think of the story as post-apocalyptic because our civilization getting fucked is just a background detail, and there are new ones which more or less work to replace it

oooh that mask is a good one

I might pair it with the mask of prematurity that let's you go first in initiative but imposes disadvantage on all con and wis saves

So i lost my movement boost, and

>If you wear armor that you lack proficiency with, you have disadvantage on any ability check, saving throw, or Attack roll that involves Strength or Dexterity, and you can’t cast Spells.

and

>If you make an Attack roll using a weapon with which you lack proficiency, you do not add your proficiency bonus to the Attack roll.

Well, your party is better than my Monk player that didn't knew he had Open Hand Technique until level 4.

I never understood how people sit together with new characters and don't say what their class is, it's like everyone is playing in the dark or something.

It's implied you are acquiring armor proficiency somehow, user, be it through feats, being a Mountain Dwarf (potentially with another feat for heavy armor), or starting the character in a class with Heavy Armor and MCing into Monk as quickly as possible.
The latter is what I did. Fighter 1, Monk the rest of the way to Monk 8, then Fighter 2 and campaign end.

Mountain Dwarf nigga

>telling your party members your capabilities so they can backseat tactics you or plot your assassination around your skills

Why do paladins get to smite with spell slots from any class but hexblades are stuck with only warlock slots?

Why do wizards get the best damaging cantrip besides eldritch blast and a spell where you *teleport behind u* with a sword really fast but sorcerers/warlocks don't?

Why did they bother to update sun soul from the SCAG version but only give it one extremely minor buff that doesn't really matter?

Because Paladins attract the WoW crowd
Because it's WIZARDS of the Coast
Because the PHB+1 rule exists and they want several other SCAG archetypes in XGE

They never noticed Dodge as a bonus action or you never took it? Stunning Strike?
What's cool about this is that you can totally be a STR Monk.

Nobody bats an eye if one picks eldritch Knight and starts shooting lightning out their ass. But call the police if you don't tell me how exactly your fighter 2/wizard 1 can do Prestidigitation.

No one cared who I was until I put on the wizard level

*sits at table*
"Hey, user, I'm a Paladin, Edgy McEdgy is a Rogue, Chad here is a Champion Fighter, what's your class?"
"I-I'm not telling anything to you!"

Oh, I took Dodge like a motherfucker, they just glanced right over that.
Stunning Strike was tricky. When I first got it, I told the DM I was going to do "the thing" and I needed a Con save from the monster. The players knew something was up but didn't know exactly what condition (if any) I was inflicting or what was happening, only that things were skipping turns and autofailing certain checks.

Like, shit, if the Wizard casts a spell that makes him float, is that Levitation, Fly, Tenser's Disk with a cloak of invisibility thrown over it, or some invisible magic creature holding the Wizard up?

"I'm a melee tank."
They only need to know my role in the party, not how I go about doing that or some metagamey class name.

Usually for that sort of thing you ask the DM for permission first, and if needed he explains the deal to the other group members

You select the spells for each class individually, as if you were not multiclassing. This means that an Eldritch Knight cannot learn spells higher than you cannot learn spells from your Eldritch Knight classes that are higher than 4th level.