ITT: Characters you want to play someday

I want to play a grumpy classic style witch or mage with a energetic cat familiar... Except that they poked their noses somewhere they shouldn't have and got cursed, causing their souls to switch places. So you have the cat in the witch's body, learning not only to use magic but also how to be human and interact with people and stuff; and then you have the witch in the cat's body, trying to teach her familiar to cast spells and learning to lighten up a little. I think I'd be fun to play if you kept the premise a secret from the party at the start, it would make for a fun reveal.

What character ideas have you always wanted to play, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yqOK8EPsNDI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Too many.
>hedge magic hermit who wound up stranded in the wilderness at a young age: fascinated by civilization and other people but obviously a fish-out-of-water once he makes it back via adventuring
>kindly professorial wizard from beyond the desert who seeks out local legends/culture for the travel guide he's writing: tries to turn everything into a practical lesson because that's just how he's used to thinking
>superstitious half-orc barbarian on a quest to dispel what he believes is an ancestral curse, highly respectful of spellcasters
>elf/half-elf ranger noble from a small hamlet, likes hunting but he's a bit of a snob, runs away to adventure to spite his family, tells everybody he was an urchin
I actually just found a text file with a bunch more ideas that I'd forgotten about. I've been hoarding them for a while I guess, but it's interesting to see what common traits I like to give characters
>usually fighters or wizards
>almost all are Good; most of them are friendly/like people
>"likes kids" as a trait pops up more than once

The animated skeleton of a long dead hero, still with all his memories. His famous magic equipment has rusted away, and his kingdom is long gone. But now that he is here, there is evil to slay.

Rising Zan, the samurai Gunman.

youtube.com/watch?v=yqOK8EPsNDI

this sounds strangely close to what I want to play which is a beast race mage of ambiguous gender who hides themselves at all times in big floppy mage robs and hat. I haven't been able to play it due to none of the games being sufficiently anime or never getting off of the ground in the first place.

An old-west style skeleton gunslinger who's really into talking about facts and statistics of different horse breeds since in life he was a rancher and it's the only thing he remembers.

I want to play a grappler who carries around a dozen spears.

When he fights he throws them to imbed them into walls and obstacles so that he can leap, swing, and swoop from them like a trapeze artist, gracefully front flipping through the air whilst twirling his mustache and chuckling heartily.

A really dumb orc/halfogre/giant that shouts spellnames whenever he hits something with his wooden stick. He strongely believes he is a great mage and wants to join a magic academy one day.

Not gonna lie, OP. If a player brought me that character, I'd give them a seat in a heartbeat.

I want to play a big metal golem who's sole purpose for existing is to defend an individual, preferably another player character but I'd take an NPC as well. Take a bunch of feats and customize myself for optimal damage absorption and tanking. Bonus points if I can have the construct be intelligent to the point wherein it can form a sort of friendship with its charge.

I'm also really interested in making an Arabian occultist/far pact warlock type dude. The astronomer of a sultan or something who came to a horrifying epiphany about the nature of reality while gazing at the stars one night.

More or less a Paladin with the ethics and driving motives of The Batter from OFF.
I have given it a great deal of thought and It just does not seem doable for a tabletop format. Lots of problems- and role playing a literal puppet of few words just sounds boring. Even if I RP as the one who pulls the strings and make my will known by using the character as a mouthpiece.

Basically a Steel Ronin from Red Alert 3. Fantasy twist wouldn't be too hard to do.

An immortal catboy who can be anywhere he pleases, even in someone's mind of they subconsciously think about him. He would be cute, would give zero fucks about anyone that isn't his master and would kill the munchkin player's character by suiciding.

but if he can spread via thought too, does that mean he can end up affected by another;s thoughts?

I mean like my dreamboy dude here would be pretty damn angry all the fucking time and probably hopped up on something to make him angrier.

Does his constant barrage of angry thoughts bother your guy?

But user, you are the munchki-

>that spoiler

ohhhhh

Always wanted to play a twi'lek slave. Got an opportunity once, but that was a dark side game, so naturally it ended with the party slaughtering each other within three sessions

Yeah, he wouldn't be a Player Character. He would be an NPC for when I GM some other time.

No, he would not be affected. It would more likely be a form of telepathy: the character himself would be immune to any will based attacks and immortal in the sense that before dying, he would just will himself in a different place, or person's subconscious.

I am trying very hard to play one of my favorite ones. Soft spoke, gentle, careful, avoiding fights like the plauge, and trying to work out reasonable, safe solutions for everyone involved.

And then, when there is no other option, when everyone's back is against the wall, steppign forward and unloading a galactic sized can of fucking whoop-ass on the enemy and absolutely obliterating them.

Now if only I wasn't involved with a bunch of fucking idiotic murderhobos who can't understand that gunfights get people killed when you're not properly prepared, I might have actually pulled it off this time.

Nice

A handsome fencer on a quest to save his one true love from their father who won't let them be together.
Makes women fall in love with him but turns them down all throughout the adventure only to have it revealed that he was gay all along and the one true love was some big jacked orc dude.

kek.

You made me smile, you can come at my table and play games if you'd like.

I'm going to take and alter this idea. Good stuff, OP.

Any type of character that would rely more on talking and knowledge to do their thing, while not being very useful in combat.
Half of my group consists of people who mostly care about combat, so having a character that won't be able to directly attack enemies wouldn't fly by them.

>old, cigar smoking gnome fighter who mainly uses an oversized crossbow
>old paladin who used to run an orphanage after his military days. Went adventuring in search of some children who he thinks are on a path to damnation
>a skald who promised the "most beautiful shield maiden" that he would become a warrior worthy of song. Turns out the shield maiden is his daughter who died of illness when she was young, and whose last request was to hear a story of her dad being a hero. He vowed he would tell it when he passes into the next life

A brazen monk type of character with fists of sacred fury

An absolute bitch as the token evil teammate, more often petty than truly evil

A crime-solving paladin

Pig Orc (p'orc) thief/rogue who specializes in dungeon crawling: looting, finding treasure, unlocking things, disarming traps, and all that good burglary shtick. Physically weak, he was originally a peon in some long exterminated Orc Horde; lowest on the totem pole, his job was to scrounge, loot, and pillage the remains of battlefields and conflicts where he quietly developed an eye for treasure and what was of value. When his horde died, though, he was finally free to go out into the larger world and seek out as much treasure for himself.
Personality wise he should be pragmatic and clever- very quick to analyze the best possible ways to monetize a situation or flee from it. The only thing he loves more than treasure is smoking and flintlocks, both of which have prevented him from developing any aptitude in most other fields of thievery.

I'd one day like to play as a traveling merchant, who doesn't actually fight, but instead hires mercenaries
I'd trade with NPCs to make gold, and the endgame goal is to make enough money that I could own a city, which can be done in a few different ways
I could just hire enough workers to build a new city
I could bribe enough officials and be "democratically elected" by those officials
or I could have a diplomatic marriage and become king or something
the whole point of this is to do a roleplaying game that is focused on fighting, without actually fighting

A paladin, clad in cimson red armor and cloak. He doesn't belive in a deity, but the concept of people creating greatness when sticking together and that every person is equal. His weapons are made out of gold and are a sickle and a hammer. The paladin of communism.

He's also starving and for some strange reason can't find enough bread to properly feed himself.

>An immense autist who, while having been raised to be the ideal spy/assassin by a sly old man, took an interest in various different cultures and folktales, eventually attaining freedom and becoming a full-time anthropologist. As he was raised to ferret out information from others, he can read people immensely well, and this has caused him to grow to love the people of the world in a deeply profound way, so when given the choice to help his fellow man, he happily puts aside his own life and uses his old skills once again for the betterment of all.
Something about this character just makes me really happy and content. Tried to play him once, we sadly didn't get past session 1 due to drama.

An eccentric necromancer surgeon going on an adventure to gain more experience in the field and develop new medical/magic techniques. Looking to become a professor after getting kicked out of medical school for practicing dark magic.

Basically the Medic from TF2 but with magic.

Forgot pic

I'd like to play an old school crazy I'm behind 10000 skeletons necromancer. He used to be a big bad but realised that he can use his powers for good. Many a robbery or murder in the kingdom has been stopped by precise application of skeletons

>Pumplonius
Think All Might's public persona minus the immeasurable strength. A loud, boisterous Cleric of love and affection who relishes hugs, ships people, and loves talking about noble gossip about weddings and dances. He's 6'7", armored but soft to hug due lots of colorful clothing, admirers gifts (he loves receiving scarfs and handkerchiefs to add), and regalia. He wields "Heartbeat" a heavy mace of large size (he's human, monkey grip) because his love is so mighty as well as "Love Darts" just regular darts he calls that. I thought give them a sleep enchant but I'm trying to avoid roofie comparisons.

>>chaotic good paladin who follows a god that most likely doesn’t exist but is so charming and suave that he can con his way through situations, using his criminal background to aid him in dispensing paladiny justice

Fucking hell, i had that game. so goofy, so cool and that SONG
I wish you fortune and favor in this endeavor good sir!

Dragonic bloodline elven sorcerer with a huge emphasis on lightning spells and killing dragons to absorb their power and eventually polymorphing into one

got an CN sorcerer that falls in love with a woman, but enjoys mocking paladins and their uptight ways to the extent that he kneels infront of his woman and swears an oath of love to her to make fun of him
only for a goddess of love of the setting to take it seriously and forcibly multiclass him as a paladin through lightning induced seizure

You are correct to want to play rising zan.

>Something about this character just makes me really happy and content
I can understand why. I really, unironically love this character idea and I hope you manage to do him justice someday, in a campaign or otherwise.

>just regular darts he calls that
Ha! I love it!
Makes me wonder why he was a big bad in the first place. Why did he have a change of heart?

I've had several ideas that I wrote down should the opportunity arise where I can use them
>Tortle Monk trying to emulate Master Roshi.
>Human necromancer wizard with a floating skull as a familiar. Probably the skull of his former master mentoring him as he travels.
>Oath of Redemption paladin trying to make the world a better place by trying to get her enemies to become better people
>Warlock that serves some neutral spider patron of fate, basically a sort of spider witch. Main reason for traveling being along the lines of finding her lost sisters.
List goes on, though I want to wait for the right opportunity to effectively bust them out.

>Bug wizard who is more entomologist than wizard. Has lower level version of Speak With Animals called Speak With Bugs. Gender swapping shenanigans to get in Lolth's good graces.
>Broken man taking his last remaining infant child across the continent to offer them as a burnt offering to a god they believe can offer that child a better life.
>Murderous cocksucker who is trying to not be such a murderous cocksucker. Resents that everyone knows he was a murderous cocksucker and cannot for the fucking life of him convince anyone he won't continue to be a murderous cocksucker. Played for laughs.
>Drunkard getaway driver looking for his long lost sister who is perfectly happy doing things he doesn't think are right for her.

Deep in the forest, a woodcutter stumbled upon an overgrown shrine to a long-forgotten harvest goddess. She appeared to him, near-dead from lack of worship, and offered to make him her paladin, if he would only travel the land to spread her renown and do works in her name.

Never one to do anything in haste, the woodcutter returned to his cabin to consider. His was a modest, solitary life- since plague claimed his wife and child some winters ago, he spent his days alone, except for those rare trips to town to sell his lumber. He doesn't mind the loneliness, really, but neither does he have much to leave behind.

And so, the pact is made. The woodcutter becomes champion of the goddess- her only champion, since that's all she has the strength to empower. With his meager savings, his last bundle of wood, and his humble but trusty axe, he sets out toward town for what will probably be the last time- odds are he'll not come back this way again. At his side is a small satchel of grain, from whence the goddess may manifest to deliver commandments, render advice or simply complain about her situation. She's a bit bossy, but he reckons that's proper for a goddess, so he's content to listen- he's never been much of a talker. He's got a job, and he'll do his best to see it though. After all, that's what he's always done.

I like your style.

Couple I would have loved to play. Just need a group that works with my job schedule.

A mostly naive but cautious former farmer who left when his father died and didn't have enough for all his brothers and sisters to inherit.

The half-elf son of a nobles gamekeeper and a elven handmaiden.

Some for of the wonderful Veeky Forums created Caretaker.

>Human fighter that's the generic greedy dickbag
>Basically the average CN murderhobo
>"Converts" Himself to a good gods religion in his dying moments to score a comfy seat in some heaven
>God will have none of his bullshit and raises him a short while later as a skeleton
>Forces him to be an inquisitor / paladin in their name and commit enough 'good' acts if they want into heaven, or they suffer in hell/limbo
>In a setting where skeletons are incredibly as they're normally just murder monsters
I only ever got one session in, but I will be forever salty because damn I wanted to play this asshole.

Abandoned cat familiar that took up necromancy as a way to SHOW THEM, SHOW THEM ALL. Spends a lot of time riding around in a skeleton minion's ribcage and plotting dastardly plots to acquire salmon.

Would also be cool to actually use any of the various rulesets for playing a dragon (I know most of them are ass). Either being a bigass firebreathing combat monster that's still smart enough to use the threat of crispy stomping before actual crispy stomping, or one of the shapeshifting variants for the GREETINGS FELLOW PUNY SLAVE CREATURES I TOO ENJOY DOING PUNY SLAVE CREATURE HOBBIES SUCH AS BUILDING SHITTY ABOVEGROUND CAVES FROM WOOD AND COLLECTING FLAMMABLE ITEMS bit.

Thirdly, tiny paladin of any sort, making paladin-shaped holes in the shins of evil.

>HOBBIES SUCH AS BUILDING SHITTY ABOVEGROUND CAVES FROM WOOD AND COLLECTING FLAMMABLE ITEMS

>What character ideas have you always wanted to play, Veeky Forums?

Quite possibly my most depressing character concept:

A young man (16-18) who's a Warlock discreetly passing as a Priest/Cleric.
From a surface level he is presented as a polite, courteous, selfless, brave, and kind boy. He does everything in his power to help, heal, and guide people as best he can and is always first in line to confront evil whenever it rears it's ugly head, but he is only compelled to be so helpful, as he is someone who truly knows what it is to be helpless. Whenever asked about his background he either lies and tells a story that is NEVER consistent, "I ate a falling star, a flaming bush spoke to me, I read a prophecy on the back of a turtle's shell" or simply changes the subject, for his 'real' background is far more uncomfortable and emotionally disturbing than he lets on.
He was one of those 'first born' male sons thrown at the feet of a Devil in exchange for women and wealth for their parent. Instead of being eaten, though, he lived a life of constant emotional, sexual, and physical abuse for years before eventually being released once the Devil grew tired of him. Because every night when the others think he's reciting prayers to refresh his miracles; he's attempting to recite the full 'true' name of the Devil that abused him for years and with each character and syllable he can successfully spit out, he manages to siphon a little more power from his abuser. To him, every good deed is a stepping stone towards more power & discipline, so he'll have the strength to recite his abuser's full name, proceed to assume complete dominance over them, and then finally torture his father sufficiently before finally being at peace.

I don't see me playing this one any time soon, though.

I always wanted to play a freelance kind of explorer character in space. Like a Xenobiologist who travels around the galaxy finding aliens and surveying new planets for exploration and conquest. He would make money by selling the information to corporations, governments, research institutions pretty much anyone who could make use of it. I think it would make for an awesome party leader for a space exploration game. Fuck man, my players only really DM 5e so there's not much hope for it.

I have a character like that in one of the games I DM. He's pretty badass. He once destroyed a tentacle from an old god by climbing up it with his spears in a series of nat 20's before jumping off and running along sheets of ice to escape it as the tentacle smashed in to the lake it sprouted from.

Two reactions to the typica D20 Rogue who always wants to steal shit and doesn't give two shits about other people.

The first would be a loyal spy. He serves the realm, and doesn't care about personal enrichment. He uses a cover identity of a travelling merchant, and that's generally how he presents himself, but what he's really doing is sneaking into the places that belong to the realm's enemies in order to find information. He'll only pretend to be a thief if he fucks up and is caught with something.

The second is a foppish aristocrat who's going adventuring as his Grand Tour. He's a chauvinist, and sees himself as the natural leader of the party, even when he's not. He might get friendly with the rest, but he'll always see himself as naturally superior. Even when he's a total coward who prefers fighting with ranged weapons and backstabbing his enemies. He sees this all as totally natural, because he learned it in the snake pit of courtly intrigue. He hires servants and insists on eating good food and staying in good accommodation if available. When he uses his intimidation skills, he will more often than not refer to his powerful father or some liberal, privileged interpretation of the rule of law rather than threatening direct action.

I've always kind of wanted to play something in the vein of a princess from an extremely minor kingdom which has recently experienced a violent revolution. With the death of the rest of the royal family, she's effectively an exile, and because the kingdom is so minor there are few to no people with a vested interest in restoring her to the throne. But she's obsessed with the idea that it is hers by right, and is constantly agitating or trying to propagandize the crimes of the revolutionaries to get support
I'd probably play her as being a bit older, maybe late teens or twenties, so that she's capable of recognizing that that's a long-term goal and as such be willing to throw in with the rest of the party and pursue other stuff.
I mainly just want to play a pompous noble who, while haughty, genuinely believes in righteousness and the rule of law, without all the baggage that comes from being a VIP that a GM wouldn't want to deal with.

>I want to play a big metal golem who's sole purpose for existing is to defend an individual, preferably another player character but I'd take an NPC as well. Take a bunch of feats and customize myself for optimal damage absorption and tanking. Bonus points if I can have the construct be intelligent to the point wherein it can form a sort of friendship with its charge.

I played a character VERY similar to this, with the twist being that he was successful in his duty and his master eventually died of old age. This left him contemplative and without purpose until the party stumbled upon him.

By any chance would your paladin look like this?

Give me some character ideas for warforged. My current idea is a Warforged Kensei Monk built in a war for long range scouting with self repair and solar power but is damaged. He is under the sands of a desert for a few centuries before the sand pit around him collapses, allowing him to self repair for a few more decades. He awakens a few centuries later trying to find the city he's from.

I'm unashamedly stealing this

I would love to play a passing dwarvern drag queen bard but there's no way to do it without revealing it's my magical realm

>Steampunk campaign
>Master Gunsmith italian girl who desperately wants to make a carbine rifle with a stock made of a piece of the true cross

Jose Cucaracha, goblin gunslinger bandito

Almost 100% a character I created for a story once.

This is literally my Shadowrun character. Not a single useful combat skill.

in a campaign for rifts one of my friends played a rogue scholar who was basically the last living speaker of the hebrew language and could do almost no fighting i protected him and he taught me how to read and write

I really wanna play a sickly but really intelligent gnome wizard who needs to be carried around in a sling by larger party members. He'd be a real rude dude with a bad temper but mostly because of his physical insecurities- in reality he'd be a sweet guy who'd hopefully grow attached to the party.

He amassed a great deal of random trivia over the years that he occasionally spouts on about because prior to embarking on the adventure he was constricted to his bed with books for most his life- eventually being dropped off at a school of wizardry's doorstep after caught trying to figure out how cast spells by himself. Begrudgingly he was taken in by an overly sympathetic member.

I'm basically forever DM with my group so I wont hold my breath but ive got a couple I have
>a squire turned knight after he took his old masters title. The knight in question was vile and mean using his title to be a general dick. After he took it to far one day and his squire was forced to kill him with his own sword to protect a peasant he was about to beat/about to rape/ something else dickish, havent decided. After coming to terms with his actions he vowed to use his former masters name to do good and took the title.
> a crotchety old goblin wizard with a tiny gelatenous cube as a familiar. His favorite tactic in combat is to put his cube in an unsuspecting place and cast enlarge when the enemy is close enough. His specialty is acid and poison magic and he thinks that other evocation and conjuration magic is sub par and that pyromancers are the worst of them all.
> a less than intelligent kobold barbarian that thinks himself a baby dragon. Convinced he just hasn't hit his growth spurt yet he denies anyone saying that he isnt one most of the time tesorting to violence. He idolizes dragons and tries to be as much like them as possible, he thinks that if he hoards enough treasure, eats enough knights and kidnapped enough princesses that his true dragon self will awaken.

A High Elf Rogue and charlatan living in a human town playing scams to make money

Maybe have the rest of your group join in the fun so you can pull Ed, Edd, n' Eddy tier scams on the local townsfolk before getting run out from the town getting sick of them.

That kobold sounds fucking cute

An awakened animal with Monk levels.

It's not much of a far off dream, after my current campaign if things go well I can definitely do this.
>Creation of my current character as he goes on in his years, and becomes morally more questionable
>Somehow gets his hands on some phoenix god essence and decides to make a better sorcerer than that one chump was
>Little time passes after they wake up in the sci-fi growth pod before wizard kinda dad disappears
>Looking for them but also for some reason wants to mete out Justice
>But what the heck is justice anyhow?
>Also might need to deal with celestials that are upset that the character exists
>Fiery holy judge sort who also knows nothing about justice or even what they are really
Also can we talk about how there's no phoenix deity in any dnd world? Not a single one.

That is extremely high level cleric of prophechy (dialectic materialism)

I on the other hand would like to paly pic related, without explaining it clearly at first. Then see how long it takes other players to notice that i'm playing as Hitler

I had a winged rogue kobold like that. Backstory is, he found a magic gem (that he didn't know was magical), and ended up growing wings after he slept atop it.

Now he's convinced that every dragon was once a kobold who got a big-enough hoard, so now he's trying to get as much money as he can so that he can become a real dragon.

Been wanting to play a Tainted (Urban Shadows) or other similar character for a while.

>shitty "musician" with a shitty high school band
>band somehow makes it big past college, PC is the untalented duckling
>move out to another town with band friends, get replaced within months
>depressed, nowhere to turn to but booze, meet interesting person one night
>says they've got the answer to PC's problem, they just have to do as they did
>it's a pact. selling your soul to a dark patron in exchange of wishes
>PC goes through, becomes more talented than he ever dreamt of, a professional musician
>still, forced to do his patron's dirty work - killing annoying opposition, threatening debtors into paying up, punishing the ones who don't
>start to hate himself, feel immensely guilty. booze habit becomes a drug habit
>patron won't even let him OD
>loved as one of [city]'s rising stars

A robot that struggles to be human. Better in a setting where robots are very uncommon.

One that gets to finish it's campaign.