Learning the ropes

Hey I am sort of new to the tabletop games but really want to get into them is there a good starting game or online group i can join to teach me the ropes.

Other urls found in this thread:

unpossiblejourneys.com/
youtube.com/user/TheKittenhugs)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ryuutama is a game designed to be a full tutorial for GMs and players alike.

Apocalypse World is great at teaching GMs a more improvisational style and simple enough player-side to fit everything of note on 2 pages.

Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures is great if you want to play something that is like D&D, but don't want to deal with the horrible, beginner-unfriendly shit that is D&D proper.

Thanks man

No problem. Do you have friends IRL you can ask to play with you? I'd advise against online groups.

First post best post.
All of these are excellent beginner games. Personally, I can’t recommend Apocalypse World enough.

OP. Are you going to be the storyteller? Or has another person volunteered for the role?

I wouldnt mind being a story teller if i had the knowledge how
I have IRL friends but they all have "jobs" and a "life"
Sorry about low quality of post im more of a lurker here than a poster

>I wouldnt mind being a story teller if i had the knowledge how
That's simple. Just read the books.

>I have IRL friends but they all have "jobs" and a "life"
And you don't? Also, it can't be that hard to get a few of them together for a few hours on a weekend.

If you don't happen to have three or more patient and equally interested friends, I would recommend checking out your Local Friendly Game Store for sessions of D&D Encounters and/or Pathfinder Society.

And b4 the rest of you complain, yes, they're suboptimal systems. You can choose other games when you're ready to introduce real friends, but they're easy to find and will work as an introduction to the basic concepts.

IMO the best way to learn is to grab a book and teach yourself and your existing friends. In the olden days it use to be that was the way most people came to the hobby out of necessity. We had so much fun in jr. High learning and screwing up along the way. RPGs are a social hobby and I think it is harder to insert yourself as a noob into existing groups. I also don’t like the idea that RPGs are something that requires some sort of apprenticeship or need to be taught. It’s all right there in the book!

>I have IRL friends but they all have "jobs" and a "life”.

The proof is in the persuit. If you want something you will do it! Excuses be damned. I play in a online game and run a irl game weekly. Still working 50+ hrs a week with a 1.5 hr daily commute, a wife and 2 kids under 3.

I see a ton of people with “no time” who fuck off for hours daily on tv, vidya and internet.

I recommend against your first experience being a online one. Try hosting a weekend game night with a few friends. A simple starter adventure module is a start.

dont listen to Veeky Forums we dont play games here

Stop projecting.

The D&D Starter Set has a very good beginner adventure called The Lost Mines of Phandelver.

unpossiblejourneys.com/

>I wouldnt mind being a story teller if i had the knowledge how
You tell the players what happens, and resolve conflicts when dice are unsufficient.
Maybe look at premade adventures, or the stuff that other masters did (like this guy youtube.com/user/TheKittenhugs)

Bumpio, maybe someone else will have better advice

Dont be That Guy

>horrible, beginner-unfriendly shit that is D&D proper.

5e isn't terrible for beginners I run a game twice a month that is all newbies.

>5e isn't terrible for beginners I run a game twice a month that is all newbies.
First, yes it is.
Second, what does the latter have to do with the former? You could run a game of FATAL twice a month that is all newbies, but that wouldn't make FATAL beginner-friendly either.

>I have IRL friends but they all have "jobs" and a "life"

And? They have literally no time to hang out or something? Playing tabletop is the same as going out and getting a couple of drinks or watching a movie or something, just try and lure them in with pizza and beer.

When you ask for advice, people will lie to you and tell you to play games with fewer rules.

Don't listen to them.

The best games for newer players are the games that have many basic rules, rather than a handful of more nuanced rules. In this case, Dungeons and Dragons is your best bet. Just make sure you grow out of it eventually.

If you've got a local game store, chances are good that they run Adventurer's League for D&D 5e, which is a pretty good system for getting started. Just take a look at the Player's Handbook, and once you get the hang of it and want to try DMing (give it a few months), there's a Dungeon Master's Guide and a Monster Manual. All three of these can be found in pdf form in the link in the /5eg/ OP. No sense in not at least taking a look, though I would seriously advise you to find some friends who will try it with you instead of gaming with randoms.

Also people on Veeky Forums have been playing for years and most of their time has been spent playing D&D. This has caused them to become bored of the system and they've grown to hate it, adopting their own pet systems along the way. There's generally nothing wrong with these systems, but you'll be hard pressed to find decent games for them. Disregard people that spew anti-D&D stuff just because they've grown to hate it, as well as people that tell you to try GURPS. Just trust me on that one.
Good luck

Start with a genre you enjoy. Then dream of adventures in that setting. Read that RPG book for inspiration. Then ask your friends if they would like to try it.

First post best post.

I also recommend Barbarians of Lemuria. It's a low crunch system that focuses on being easy to run and easy to learn. It also teaches good gaming habits that make for better gaming groups.

>find a game you're interested in playing
>learn the rules for it
>jump in the fucking deep end.
Sink or swim. It's what me and another player in my game are doing right now, and we haven't died yet, and the GM is being patient with us when we get mixed up.