MtG Unstable Spoilers

think this one wins "worst pun" so far

This card is fun, could be a real mechanic easily

Yeah, I could legitimately see a massive white knight creature with it. He won't start a fight but he'll end it.

Honestly, with how Maro said they sold the set as the "Let us test out wacky shit that may be legal one day" I'm fairly certain last strike will be in black border before the end of 2020.

Not so easily. It requires the combat rules to be completely changed for it to function.

That said, if it's well received in Unstable then WotC might deem it to be worth doing so.

This is one of the cards hes admitted so far is in silver border specifically because he concedes that it will probably never be black border because of needing to change how combat works

So basically, +2/+2 counters, amirite

The mind games are real.

>Think "Man I sure wish Grand Calcutron was a creature so he could be a commander, but maybe we'll see some other cool legendary, especially after the sweet BR faction ones"
>Maro answers on his blog that they actually wanted it to be a commander, but couldn't fit it
>Get annoyed that they actively chose not to make it a commander, but still hope for another cool WU creature
>He answers another question saying there is no other Order of the Widget legend
You'd think after all these years after all the fucking times they've done it, that printing a "cycle" of faction legendary creatures and then excluding one as a special exception for whatever reason isn't a good idea. When has it ever ended up well received, like, ever?

You pick Whack and your opponent picks Doodle so you end up with Buzz.

This is how this card will always be played. You will literally never want Doodle and your opponent will always want you to have Doodle.

Or -2/-2 counters on your opponents stuff. There's one card in Fallen Empires with them.

More like this please. I love the meta game stuff that some cards offer.

I miss morph :(

Just play calculatron as your commander anyways

>You will literally never want Doodle
Not necessarily.

I agree in general, but I think maybe a control deck facing an aggressive deck may take the continuous life gain.

>well received in Unstable
I'd love to know how you expect Wizards to both:
a) figure that out and
b) do a good job of it to get the right idea

In case you haven't been around these past couple years, the general consensus is that everything is going great. And sure they admit to some mistakes but it's generally good. And the reason why it's all "good" is because the surveys they issue out are clearly filled out by the same fucking retards who have the time to do and find validation from doing surveys.

Exactly. Nobody will ever give you Whack. If you actually want Doodle and get it it means you're really fucking losing the draft.

At that point I might as well just play whatever I want as my commander.

>You're opponent has one set to Whack
>You have one set to Doodle
>Now who's laughing

now I wonder:
do blaze counters still make a permanent burn its the controller if that permanent isn't a land

Also, kind of missing though I really wish Grand Calcutron was a commander. I don't know why they keep breaking up cycles like that. Innistrad didn't have a legendary wolf, tarkir made narset a planeswalker, etc. People yell at Maro for years over this shit and it still happens. This one is even very nearly all his choice. I guess the joke is that the Order of the Widget want so much to be artifacts that their leader went all the way and become a non-creature artifact but there's literally a fucking dude in it and it's not even really that funny a joke if it was the intention

In all likelihood, your opponent.

There are many cases where you will want Buzz specifically and where your opponent specifically doesn't want you to have it. Buzz is after all, clearly the best mode on the card.

This scenario doesnt make sense. There is no instance where the first person would get whack. You would have to be a moron to offer whack

deep

I'd offer whack if my opponent was low on both life and cards in hand.

Whack is the best mode on the card. Limited hasn't been where dropping 6 mana for one card, 8 mana for two, and 10 mana for 3 even on an installment plan is a good deal for over ten years.

Christ, do you people even play this game or do you just pretend to?

Dumbest counters I think of are “corpse counters”. Not useful, but they are dumb.

Bribery is pretty good. And I could actually see someone doing that. Fuck letting them draw a card. Just keep Gwafa out.

I'm not familiar with the context of this chart. What are the numbers referring to?

Even if you would prefer to have Buzz, you still don't want to pick Doodle and your opponent still doesn't want you to pick Whack. No opponent is going to want to give you Whack just to keep you from getting Buzz and if you're sane, you're not going to choose Doodle in the hopes of getting Buzz.

Ebon Praetor.

The nice thing about this card is that arguments over it sound as retarded as they are.

Prisoner dilemma

Well I understand that. Are the numbers supposed to be number of years incarcerated?

exactly

Do consider that Blaze counters do nothing without actually being placed by Obsidian Fireheart itself.

But if obsidian fireheart targets a shapeshifter that temporarily copies a dryad arbor and then no longer becomes a land, I really don't know if the "land continues to burn".

That and each set keeps breaking sales records.

At this point they are literally only designing as a hobby. They literally admitted one of their worst made sets sold like solid gold.

The buisness prints money, they pay their employees shit and they are the second most profitable brand at Hasbro.

Wotc is easy mode incarnate.

i hope you are being ironic because this has nothing to do with the prisoner dilemma.

the ability specifically states"this land", so i would guess not.

Gonna make a cube for the first time using Unstable. if the tokens count as 18 instead of nine because of the full and regular have a separate slot, then subtract 5 lands plus Spike, add 24 conspiracies, total will be 216. 144 cards needed for a small 360 cube.

so OTHER than more Un-cards, what is some good fun stuff to add? looking to have as many mini games and additional mechanics for a convoluted but fun cube. Was going to have some kaladesh/aether in order to have some silly combos along with the Energy mechanic on top of Conspiracies and Contraptions. throw in some proliferate for jank and potential politics.

was also thinking about putting in some meme cards. OG storm crow, gut shot, hornet sting, one with nothing, rod of banding. is all i can think of for now. others i can think of would be appreciated to fill in some gaps.

Slapping in meme cards like one with nothing is fun the first time but then you realize that nobody really wants to draft those things ever, for any purpose. They will be eternally sideboarded. Your cube should synergize well with itself. No chaff or duds unless you're doing a purely set-based cube.

Aren't enchantments supposed to be magical/intangible things?

Did AKH block really do well? it's one of the worst blocks in recent history. Mechanics are useless, art is bland, power is low. It's basically modern Kamigawa but with worse art.

it can work with some things, combined with a graveyard creature might be a thing. weve yet to see if more graveyard shenanigans in the set to make it worth it. and von count needs one drops.

Von Count doesn't use 1 drops that often, actually. Only colorless 1 mana shit gets his last counter off.

Any one-drop that has the number 1 anywhere on it is fine. Something like Hangman would do it.

Sure, but it doesn't need to be a 1 drop.

Having a couple of one off tangential synergies will not encourage anyone to pick it. You're better off with chimney imp or other creature based discard so that not only does it synergise as a creature with a potentially useful ability and keyword but also doesn't require a massive work around to beeven remotely usefull and will, more often than not, not even be in the top 30 cards for the deck you think it'd find use in.

Sometimes they depict a scene or effect, replicated with magic. This is true of almost every other card type in Magic; there's a fuckload of spells dedicated to imitating or copying specific scenarios, places, things, beings. And that's not even getting into Clone effects.

I believe he's referring to BFZ which Maro has openly said is one of, if not the, worst designed sets/block in the game's history.

spike, stop spiking. your not being smart, you are being a buzzkill.

this set is suppose to be fun and a t h e i s t i c. chimney imp is too competitive (guaranteed one for one, ugh) and not fun you fucking min maxing metacuck. im going to have a special mystery box choices for summon the pack, but you probably bought packs of legends to guarantee 15 monsters just to win a c a s u a l childrens card game.

Did he forget the Urza block which put MtG at an all time low? The block based on enchanments but became an artifact block because of corporate meddling? The block with the most banned cards?

>packs of legends

>spikes

The joke is that the actual pack with a guaranteed 15 creatures is Legions.

its 8 to 14 dollery doos BUT
Phage is insta lose, but anything else is a fairly sure win.

IS IT WERTH IT SPIKE?! SPENDING MORE MONEY TO WIN IN A CASUAL DRAFTING FORMAT?

So many cards spoiled so far seem 100% viable and not too crazy for EDH play.
I doubt they'll be legalized, but contraptions seem reasonably not dumb.

i never saw MaRo actually say what user quotes, he difinitely said there were mistakes and stuff, but i am not sure he actually said the worst.

Yeah, the set seems really low on actually stupid mechanics. The card flavors are all jokes, but the gameplay seems sound for the most part, with just a few real curveballs like mantis wrestler.

It would be a poor Spike that made that mistake.

>implying crow storm wouldnt be the most broken card EVER in a real format

it a fucking MURDER of CROWS

>The block based on enchanments but became an artifact block because of corporate meddling?
That was a creative desicion that had nothing to do with the design. But yes, Urza's was also definitely a low point as far as design goes.

The reason, I suspect, he thinks BFZ is so bad is probably because it did so many things wrong that they should have already have known by then to not do. Not playing into player expectations being a big one by making it an Eldrazi block rather than an adventure world, which also meant that they needed to make loads of tiny Eldrazis which, again, went against player expectations. I believe Maro said on his podcast that in hindsight the story should have focused on a group of heroes trying to find some McGuffin to finally defeat the Eldrazi with most of Zendikar still looking like it used to but some areas being ravaged by giant Eldrazi.

>looking up worst mtg cards
>find some rando blogger
>first card i see on list is ornithopher
>"eeeh its a 0/2 with flying, cant even attack. flying is only good for attacking with, what was wizards thinking with this hot garbage?"
>close tab

why are timmies so fucking stupid? ZERO DROPS

I fully agree, what I'm saying is that crow storm uses actual real game mechanics, and doesn't actually break the game in any way other than sheer power.
A heavily nerfed version would be something that could be possible to see in a real set if MaRo didn't loathe storm so much.

Ornithopter is by all means a bad card, it just has really good support. In a vacuum the card is unplayable.

six or eight drop seems reasonable. this set seems like mostly a testing ground. if people though banding was complicated, what about cOnTrApTiOnS. which is not really.

i honestly think contrptions is a stab at yugioh and the extra deck, since the contraption deck limited to 15.

Ornithopter is good because of other cards' existence. It's pretty bad without them otherwise.

So is black lotus
>oh wow I get mana great woop di do basic lands can give me mana too

>if MaRo didn't loathe storm
Y'all niggas need to stop thinking everything comes down to MaRo. If MaRo died tomorrow, you'd still probably never see another Storm card printed, because the majority of WotC is opposed to it. Practically any of their public faces will tell you Storm was a mistake they're not soon to repeat.

Actual mouth breather.

Storm as a mechanic sits next to Infect in the sense of 'any situation where it has a playable CMC it's going to be too powerful.'

Infect essentially sets your opponent's life total to 10 and prevents them from regaining anything. It also makes damage to creatures semi-permanent.

Storm adds a huge amount of value to low CMC spells and anything with a spell copy effect.

They both let you milk a lot more value out of cards that already have decent value. For example, following up a Bolt with a storm spell means you've spent R for 3 direct damage & then roll up the storm counter.

>IS IT WERTH IT SPIKE?! SPENDING MORE MONEY TO WIN IN A CASUAL DRAFTING FORMAT?

Yes.

A deck made entirely of ornithopters is bad for exactly the same reasons a deck made of only black lotuses is bad.
However, the game doesn't fucking exist in a vacuum, and other cards are in this game. So it's utterly retarded to judge every card through sheer "how much can I achieve with this?" Because you can drop a 0 drop artifact creature into all sorts of useful combos and interesting plays, and in a pinch it can block enemy flyers, and black lotus enables you to play other cards, like turn 1 blightsteel colossus. But if these combos didn't exist, these combo-enabling cards would be useless.

It really has nothing to do with power, it just makes the game unfun

The point being that Ornithopter is useless in far more situations than a Lotus is. Most decks would be better with a Lotus. Not many decks would be better with an Ornithopter.

Black lotus is one of the best mana accelerants in the game, ornithopter is just another 0 mana artifact creature. If affinity lost ornithopter it'd still be a great deck. If it lost opal or ravager or that helmet card it would lose huge % points

It had a lot to do with the design. They were told last minute to make the block about Urza and they should put more artifacts in, so they rushed to make some artifacts for it. Those happened to completely break the block because they weren't tested properly.
But yeah, BFZ also wasn't very good.

Your deck only has one card in a vaccuum, so that's not really an argument. Seat of the Synod is just a land if we look at cards that way.

Time Walk isn't great, you spend 2 mana and all you get is another turn. It doesn't even deal damage, you need support cards to win off it.

I understand that black lotus =/= ornithopter, I'm not retarded, but user was trying to justify a MTG card being bad by saying
>Ornithopter is good because of other cards' existence. It's pretty bad without them otherwise.
Which can be said of literally every card in the game, as it's primarily combo-based outside of braindead aggro decks. By the standards user was setting, every card in the game is bad, and I was explaining why using the most powerful card in the game.
I like ornithopter, I think it's a grand card, not terribly "powerful" as such, but useful, good for a lot of purposes, but user's argument for it being flat-out bad was utterly baffling.

Yugioh is not the only game with this concept, and I think in terms of mechanics it's shares more in common with something like Legend of the Five Rings.

This
The contraption deck isn't even close to be like YGO extra deck beside being 15 cards separated from your main library but still being in the game

>braindead aggro decks
Oh, you're one of those guys.

Ancestral Recall is shit. spend 1 to get 3 more Ancestral Recalls.

Not him, but while some aggro decks require thinking, braindead aggro also exists
Just take a look at Ramunap Red back before Ixalan was released

I thought it had no limit? Why not 18 then, that way you can get at least 2 full art contraptions.

This is such an interesting design and she's a qt too.

Shame that even if she was black border, she'd probably still be unplayable in Commander, for many reasons.

Braindead exists in every archetype though, aggro gets the bad rap because it's more proactive. I consider superfriends to be a very braindead control archetype (all of which are great in a vacuum too) because once you slam the walkers the value creates itself, so long as you remember to actually activate your effects. Most two-part combos (the bare minimum by definition) are also pretty braindead, I won't go into that since the topic was "vacuum", but Scapeshift and Tooth and Nail come to mind.

At least, Scapeshift gameplan is "smart" even if doing doesn't require much thought

Much like aggro, the "smartness" comes from it's efficiency. Scapeshift is a clever design with braindead execution. Same could be said for the top performing iterations of Red Deck Wins each rotation (which are usually made to scalp quick wins whilst the better decks are being figured out, smart).

>she'd probably still be unplayable in Commander
You realize you can activate her ability from your hand, right?

You still can only have a single killbot.

So far.

One killbot so far, and then every single bounce, tutor, and reanimate there is.
We can make this work anons, I know we can!

Huh, that's actually a sensible mechanic.

Trample on a spell? Nice, I've seen it before but for mtg it's new and I like it.

Damage divided as you choose would be the same thing and has ben done before. Maro only made this because he kept getting asked for trample burn on his blog.

Changelings would be useful there.

Well, divided as you choose wouldn't work quite the same. This requires you to overkill the creature to get to the player so it can be priced more aggressively.

>Conspiracy
EVERYTHING IS A KILLBOT!