Exalted General /exg/

What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: mengtzu.github.io/exalted/sakuya.html
. It’ll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums.

>Resources for Older Editions
pastebin.com/GihMPwV8

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Core and Splats
mediafire.com/folder/b54o6teut3fx6/Exalted_3e

>Arms of the Chosen Previews
dropbox.com/s/15xddoahzedtkwu/Arms of the Chosen Preview.docx?dl=0
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuam9lbVJBWFhJM2s/view

>Dragonblooded Charm Previews:
theonyxpath.com/dragon-blooded-charms-preview-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/the-elemental-aura-dragon-blooded-pt-2-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/signature-charms-dragon-blooded-pt-3-exalted/

>Other Ex3 Resources
pastebin.com/fG1mLMdu

>New NPCs and a Behemoth rework
pastebin.com/avv1ZCZp

>House Tepet Preview
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuS2pvcEF2TGlUYW8/view

strawpoll from the end of last thread
strawpoll.me/14413617

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FckkZihQUaU
youtube.com/watch?v=_QBKpAIg960
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

wait is that strawpoll about the pdf or about pirates in general?

Newest pdf.

No option for going to pirate the PDF until a POD version is available. I'm happy to pay for something real but not for bytes.

Nah. Then it would waterdown the impact and people would choose options that are less negative. For example, I'm waiting for a salary that is on Monday. Doesn't change the fact I didn't wait and got a free copy to see the goodies.

Arms has been added to the "Resources for Third Edition" OP folder.

Looks like one of Neverborn's resting places.

okay then i voted wrong

That's retarded. Things don't have to be tangible to be real. Do you not have fun playing steam games because they're not physical? If so you might actually be retarded and I'm sorry.

I know we are all busy looking at the book so thread is generally dead.

First impressions? I find art mediocre but at least it isn't atrocious. I skimmed through book and I'm generally pleased with content.

I got the pdf, so I´m now looking through it. Gotta talk about it later.

It's pretty cool. Artifacts are neat, art is okay. It's better than I expected. As a side note, it's also literally the first RPG book I've actually bought, due to having graduated from being a poorfag student relatively recently. I feel I got my money's worth.

My only complaint is that the custom artifact/evocations guidelines are rather vague and lackluster.

We got plenty of examples, though, so that will help to set the bar.

I'm impressed. The artifacts are all pretty good and some of them are great. My only issue is the Gem of Incomparable Wellness.

>After the War of the Gods, the Solar outrider Kestra Lightning-Hoof returned home to lead her people. The children of the steppe, however, would not have her, for they were the tribe of swift-hooved Hiparkes, and was she not of the Sun’s tribe now? Undeterred, she and her Sun-blessed steed hunted great Hiparkes, forcing the horse-god to kneel and breaking him to her will. She sheared his mane and twisted it into a string for her orichalcum bow, and she rode him home in triumph to demand her people’s fealty.

Kinky.

I notice Soulfarer talks about its will triumphing over its wielder's, but there is no mechanic for this is there?

So far I like the book. I only wish this illustration wasn't so gay. i don't mind that one guy is asian and other is middle eastern. I don't mind if they are homosexuals. I wouldn't be even mad if you told me those two are iconic characters (in similar way pathfinder made iconic heroes).

I just find this illustration extremely gay and lacking punch. Seriously? Holding hand in the middle of the fight? I think something like this would be more fitting to represent two-against-many where they wreck stuff. Just add more focus on swords so you can see they are twin-swords of death.

And people keep asking why Usurpation happened.

>we don't want you to rule us
>lol fuck you guys, here I enslaved your god now kneel, bitches.

The powers of the swords are ak about the bond between their wielders, though. That's their point, and it's the thing that should be highlighted in art depicting them.

I wish the art in general was a little more dynamic. That one seems oddly stationary for some odd reason.

The illustration on the right just looks like two people who happen to be fighting nearby each other. Maybe if they were fighting back to back it would work.

It wasn't about rule, it was like, "Hey guys, I'm back!" Then they were like, "No, fuck you, you're not one of us!"

To the divine super weapon. Yeah. No sympathy.

Something I found funny is that there is no heterosexual romance in this book as far as I've seen.

There four or fives love stories in the blurb for artifacts, and they are all gay.

Funny.

It makes sense from their perspective - she's Outgroup now, since she's literally nothing like them any more. It was a nice way of saying "ummm please go away and do divine god-being things plz".

So she made their god her bitch and went back and said "ACCEPT ME YOU SNIVELLING FOOLS" and they said "umm... OK?" and thus it was that maintaining her delusions of acceptance became their primary social goal.

Solars, everybody!

Assuming the image is supposed to represent Leynon and Ciel, then the "guy" on the left is actually a woman.

She's like them in almost every way but her strength. Solars aren't alien.

Just gimme a sec to break out my autism. Here's the list:

>Courante & Galliard
Bestest platonic bond-mates. Probably hetero, not described as a romance in the story (I don't believe that for a second, Leynon will have been able to overlook Ciel looking like a dude at some point in their adventures). Half a point for straight.

>Heartsong
The Fair Folk in the bow are Fair Folk, so they don't count. Turan and Usain (of the Impenetrable Flesh, huehuehue) definitely do. One point to Gayffindor.

>Heaven And Earth Gauntlets
Blatant wincest. Half a point to Straighterin.

>Razor Dancer and Wise Steel
No information given as to genders, no points.

> Sun's Brush
Dude-god of ten thousand simultaneous handjobs is in love with the Sun. Gay, but god-gay, so half a point here.

>Gnomon
Seven-Finger Wu and Anys Syn are definitely tsundere for each other, but no dicking occurs outside of Wu's "special frozen happy time". No points.

TO BE CONTINUED...

>Something like this... Just add more focus on swords so you can see they are twin-swords of death.

Maybe if they were fighting back to back it would work.

>that could also work but that puts them in defensive while I imagined them on offensive.
Swords require positive intimacy. It doesn't need to be Intimacy (love interest).

I'm a huge fan of Battle-Brothers.

Hornblower - Horatio Hornblower and lieutenant William Bush
Sharpe series - Sharpe and Sgt. Patrick Harper
Aubrey–Maturin (Master and commander movie) - Jack Aubrey and Dr Stephen Maturin

These are all examples of characters that are really good friends. Willing even to face death for each other. Also now I realize they are all in napoleonic era.

Yeah that's Infernal schtick

>Swords require positive intimacy. It doesn't need to be Intimacy (love interest).
That's completely irrelevant to my point, which was that >Just add more focus on swords so you can see they are twin-swords of death.
is entirely missing the point of the swords. Focus should be on the characters wielding their sword and on their bond, not on the swords themselves.

Swords look identical. If the focus is on the swords you can see and figure out there is something about them. Especially in the book that is all about magical artifacts.

The book is all about artifacts, sure, but these particular artifacts are all about the bond bewteen their wielders. That is the main point, everything else about them is secondary.

Stormcaller seems cool

Alright, I'm counting it. First official fight (outside of the piracy thing) was about the art

>First impressions?
-Art is mostly garbage. At this rate, they might as well not bother. Save themselves some money and save my eyes from looking at this trash.
-Weapons are alright. Would have MUCH preferred a book of evocations and a "Build Your Own" system to "Every weapon is a special snowflake". Basically, it's a book for people who are lazy fucks and they'll gladly slurp it's cock, but I wanted something better, and I wanted character customizability rather than "Oh look, I'm gonna take X weapon for the 10th time because it's the only fucking weapon in existence with a full evocation tree".
-The evocation guidelines are a fucking joke, exactly what I expected from White Wolf and it's bastard spawn.

tl;dr 3 out of 10. It's good for people that love microwaved McDonald's trash, but offers nothing for people trying to get a perfectly made dinner. Whats there isn't bad (except for the art), but it could've been so much more. As it is, it feels like reading over a Path of Exile build list. "Gotta have this weapon/item, or else nothing else works!" etc.

There was also that one guy saying having cool unique items sucks, give me +1 swords any day.

>Oh look, I'm gonna take X weapon for the 10th time because it's the only fucking weapon in existence with a full evocation tree

What did he mean by this?

Art is just fine, though. Worst that can be said about it is that it's bog-standard RPG art. Not noteworthily good, not unique and memorable in style, just decent, solid work.

Thats specifically what makes it terrible to me. It wouldn't look out of place in, say, just about ANY fantasy RPG. It doesn't feel like Exalted art. The art direction for this edition so far has been a complete shitshow, in my opinion. They've hired bottom tier artists, pushed for the most generic crap ever, and it shows. The game deserves better.

I think he meant that Beloved Adorei is his waifu and he intends to take it for all of his characters.

It means the book didn't hand hold him through the extremely creative process of making a custom artifact so choosing from pre-made ones is all he can ever do and he HAS to have the best one so will only ever take that and then complaining that he always has the same weapon.

She had been crusading for the UCS for years. Most probably, she had nothing in common with the tribe anymore, and the tribe, rightly, felt itself endangered when the glowing girl came back in glowing armor speaking in tongue no-one ever heard spoken with a retinue of strange and alien people.

She could have taken it in stride. It isn't that important in the grand scheme of things. She could have not been petty. Like so many heroes before her, just say "yes, I outgrew my native village" and go crusading against fair folk or something.

Instead, she did the pettiest thing imaginable: she hunted, mind-broke, and enslaved their god to make a mount out of him, and smug as fuck, rode him back to the tribe.

Bottom tier artists can't produce mediocre art, which by definition can't be noteworthily bad. The core had some genuinely shit art, but illustrations in Arms seem to be no worse than average.

Looks like this scrub can't make his own evocations and thus has no idea of the value of a big book of examples.

That he probably hasn't read the book, just memes.

Also he can't just tweak existing Artifacts to make something similar but not identical, because that would require some degree of independent thought.

>people this assblasted over 1 guys comments

Never change, Veeky Forums.

why would somebody do that to themselves? self harm isn't cool and isn't okay and there are people who care about user.

oh, nevermind. he's absolutely correct.

Are you angry when you mock someone? Sounds like a you problem.

Usually not, but these comments are reading as full on anal hurt.

Again, sounds like a you problem.

I am really fucking glad you didn't design the book. Evocations rooted in the weapon's themes are so much cooler than a bunch of generic charms. We already have those, they're called Solar Charms.

That's exactly it. They're charm trees based in a story and/or theme instead of an ability.

>"Wow this guy is pretty wrong."
>"Oh wow man, dial back the rage broseidon!"
Alright.

I really like the bell, the umbrella, Stormcaller, the flamethrower, and the small flamethrower. Good job.

Yeah. I also really dig the idea that the crafter's intentions inform the first 1 or 2 evocations and afterwards the evocation are the bond between the artefact and it's previous wielders and their stories.

youtube.com/watch?v=FckkZihQUaU

>When your average Exalt finds Karvara

>wrong
>opinions

You have to be 18 or older to post on this board.

You're right. Opinions can't be wrong but they can be uninformed and have a preset expectation of things which were never true or reasonable to expect. So replace "wrong" with all that shit.

>He doesn't know there are wrong opinions.
Newfag.

He was actually factually wrong though.

>Gem of Incomparable Wellness is back

WE FIRST EDITION AGAIN NOW BABY.

Took me by complete surprise. It feels like an Artifact N/A.

So far I find distaff to be one of the most interesting artifacts in there. I do sort of wonder why it's a weapon at all, it seems like it could just as easily be a utility tool. Though it gives me great inspiration for non combat based evocations, and I really hope to see more of them

It's a plothook.

The distaff is fun, but really, you only want the capstone: suddenly something comes out of the distaff, something powerful, unexpected, at the most wanted moment.

>Heartbalm
Laughing Sky and Oak Ring Prince are both dudes, point to gay.

>Sozen, the Cataphract of Keys
Thousand-Named Orphan is a guy, the missing ambassador to Malfeas is described as "her". Straight, assuming she existed.

>Arete
Bleys Morning Sky is a guy, Firethorn is a woman. The incredible level of friendzoning involved doesn't stop this being a straight romance, even if one-sided.

>All-Conquering Colussus
Tsundere lesbians fingerbanging in a Warstrider. That's my new magical realm. One point to gay.

>Karvara, The Walking Devil Tower
Hundred Sinners King is a dude, Taitalos is unspecified.

Opinions can be wrong.
What you're thinking of is probably actually a preference.
Arguing about 'i like this game' is a preference and is thus stupid as hell
Arguing about 'xyz design decision was a negative impact on the game and thus a bad idea' is arguing over an opinion, and okay.
This has basically nothing to do with the discussion at hand but I see people get the two confused alot

Which if you were keeping score, gives us 3.5 gay to 3 straight.

OTOH, just too many bloody "And then this Exalt we don't give a shit about built this artifact for their beloved other Exalt we don't give a shit about", over and over. The only one of these romances that actually has any real punch to it is All-Conquering Collusus's warstrider dyke-out.

More like feels like how Exalted should be. That thing was great fun in 1E. I'm happy it's back, both as a player, and as a GM. Also a useful tool for people that just plain don't like combat, but don't want to risk getting ganked every time the Dawn has to whip his dick out and fight something nasty. Yeah, 3E's less lethal and has the whole "don't die in exchange for some kind of horrible maiming" option, but it's nice to have a safety net that isn't "I look like I got run through a meat grinder".

I've heard rumors that there's an artifact boat in Arms. Is this true?

Yes indeed, and an artifact airship too. No Evocations though.

>It wasn't about rule, it was like, "Hey guys, I'm back!" Then they were like, "No, fuck you, you're not one of us!"
>To the divine super weapon. Yeah. No sympathy.

No, it was about ruling. See
> returned home to lead her people

warship (Artifact 4) and airship (artifact 5)

So what you're saying is, I can pirate arms, and use it to make a better solar pirate character?

I'm not saying anything. Take minimum info that was given to you and make your decision

Which artifact is the most autistic?

The artifact that allows you to re-enact that song:
youtube.com/watch?v=_QBKpAIg960

The only thing I feel is lacking is I wish there were rules for what to do with artifacts in the hands of others. Like many of these have solar charms as prerequisites, what happens when a another exalt uses them?

This is far from the most bizarre question seen in /exg/, but is it the most bizarre question in this /exg/?

>literal hero returns home to her people, after fighting a war to save them all
>they greet her with "Fuck you, go away"
>doesn't take shit, breaks their god over her knees and rides him back to town and tells them "Eat shit, I am in charge now"

No, that seems like a perfect Exalt thing to do, and completely justified.

You don't count as an artifact, user.

>Sociopathic answer.
I bet you are also a Craft apologist and maybe, god forbid, a feminist.

So the US army should stage a coup of the US because they fought in a war and returned as heroes? Nice, good to know that behaviour is completely justified, user.

>what happens when a another exalt uses them?

They can't use those powers at all. Should be obvious. If you don't meet the pre-reqs, you can't take them.

tl;dr Exalted isn't about anyone but Solars, for the 3rd edition in a row. Because thats what you're supposed to be playing. Things are made wholly with them in mind. Some day, people will understand this. Today is apparently not that day.

This thread has too many memes.

It outright says the Evocations are based on who uses them, the printed charmtrees are just one possible way they could turn out. Another user will have a different charmtree, and if they're a non-Solar then they either get other charms or can use a native charm that functions similarly instead (for example, an Evocation tree building off of GET might just use the native spirit-killer as a prereq instead)

Craft is shit and will never be good, and modern day feminism is insanity. But that above story is fine for Exalted, thats how shit works in Exalted. It is very much a "might makes right" setting.

Also, y'know. She wouldn't have had to go and geld the God if the people hadn't told her to "Fuck off, you're not our religion anymore".

You can play other exalts just fine, it's just that the upper ends of power are locked off.

>But that above story is fine for Exalted, thats how shit works in Exalted.
It's fine as a thing that happens in Exalted. It's something Exalts do. That doesn't magically make it justified.

>It is very much a "might makes right" setting.
No, it's just a "might is might" setting. Powerful people get to do whatever they want, but the game doesn't claim that they're morally in the right because of their power.

Faggot gets superpowers and goes to become a hero
regular mortals are left alone to survive literal World War. They only have a Horse God to protect them
Faggot returns and is surprised he isn't treated as a hero when he didn't protect his village. Horse God did.
Faggot decides best course of action is to break and enslave a village protector.

Or they just use a similar Charm as a prerequisite, or replace the Evocation with something slightly different.

It's still an incredibly shitty move, and an example of the worst pettiness of a Solar.

Sure, Exalted is a setting where you can mind-break DBs and make your harem of cock-sucking fire aspected terrestrial Exalted. Good. Fun. In-theme. Don't be surprised if literally everyone else in the setting think you a re getting out of hand and need to be exterminated for the good of Creation.

Though having a harem of cock sucking DBs is less of a petty move in a my book than mind-breaking the god of an entire tribe just to make a smug point. In the first case you have a good reason, your dick. In the second it's just incredibly smug and small-minded and just a dick move.

>guy goes off to kill the literal engineers of reality that only keep humans around because of the funny sounds they make when they get stepped on
>herp derp tribal retards scream "u not one of us no longer hoars god did everything to save us" after getting back from killing the literal engineers of all of humanity's problems
>breaking these retards out of their backwards ways is a bad thing and completely unjustified

Are we playing the telephone game?

or you know; you could be a smart and bigger person and let monkey to throw poo at each other. What was it... "A lion doesn't concern itself with the opinion of sheep"? You could spend your time improving Creation now that Lord of Creation are either dead or imprisoned. But I think it is better to waste your time and seek validation of some primitive tribal villagers.

but I gues herp derp tribal retardation wasn't removed by Solar Exaltation. And I thought Solar Exaltation removed flaws and weaknesses.

>You could spend your time improving Creation
Slapping the shit out of dumb tribals isn't improving Creation? What are you, a Lunar or something?

>become solar
>go away from home
>return home
>they don't want me here because Solar
>humilliate god and enslave tribe
Really showed 'em

retards will remain retards. It is human condition. People have hard time adapting to new stuff. Your best bet is to improve the lives of next generation. They will either adapt more easily or will serve as a bridge for next generation that will adapt. Also you have Mandate of Heaven and can use it so Horse God slowly implements those changes into tribal societies. He protects but also guides his worshipers.

And waiting 40-60 years is nothing for Solar's lifespan.

it also mentions on some of then that other splats stand ins can be used like the DB mirror charm to see spirits. I think it is mainly just that charm tress are still being done up