media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/;
Anyone have plans for XGE aside from yet more Hexblades?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/A7I2xNskfwA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What is a CR1 or less creature/NPC that can cast attack spells?

The only thing I've found is Acolyte and they only cast healing word.

What cleric domain would Shaundakul, the god of travelers, exploration, winds, portals, merchants and miners be?

How much would you increase falling damage for falling onto something sharp?

>What is a CR1 or less creature/NPC that can cast attack spells?

An acolyte with Guiding Bolt instead of healing word?

>How much would you increase falling damage for falling onto something sharp?

normal fall damage+1d4 for every small sharp item (broken bottles, sharp rocks)

normal fall damage+1d8 for every actual spike they land on

Trap damage based on how deadly you think it should be.

I have never been part of or run a Hexcrawl style adventure before. Do I just go ALL IN on random tables, with like 2 or 3 hooks and then just sandbox it?

change damage to piercing

Give them spells that will do the average damage/round of CR 1, which is 9-14 (DMG 274). So basically any single target first level spells.

youtu.be/A7I2xNskfwA

I dont know what I expected

Man favourite D&D deity of all time, I think tempest is your best bet.
Weather's a huge thing on the roads, he is the wind-walker and you get to use Martial Weapons, including greatswords.

>TFW a character concept suddenly coalesces, everything fits,, snips perfectly into place it's wonderful and..
>You realise just doesn't fit the setting or party.

Welp off to the NPC pile.

>fall onto a dense weave of caltrops from 10ft up
>explode into gore from overkill

So now that Xanathar's out, how shall we update everyone's favorite uncle Strahd's spell list?

Shadow Blade
Steel Wind Strike
Maybe Danse Macabre? Scatter? A Blade Cantrip?

>What cleric domain would Shaundakul, the god of travelers, exploration, winds, portals, merchants and miners be?

that's a shitload of different domains

Waukeen, the trade-god of Amn, can be either Knowledge or Trickery... honestly, I think Trickery is your best bet.

Personally, I treat Hexcrawls like any other game. Prepare a bunch of hooks, don't necessarily make them level appropriate, make sure the dangerous ones are marked as such, and then just let players do their thing. Unless teleportation or some such shit is a problem, you can usually have a 1 town perimeter around their current location prepared, so that where ever they go they'll run into content.

I just want everyone to know that Mighty Fortress makes my dick hard.
That is all.

I was thinking of making a Paladin Oath of Antinomianism. So far I've got as tenets:

Redemption Through Forgiveness Alone. Punishment and good works
cannot balance out evil works. Ultimately only the mercy of the
victim, the community and the gods can redeem.

The Unclean Cannot Taint the Clean. Filth, disease, poverty and
disfigurement never makes a person evil. Association with evil
creatures and evil persons cannot make a person evil themselves and
only evil works themselves do that.

Seems like Tempest (for traveling weather) Knowledge (for charts, languages and star maps and shit), Forge (for shoeing Horses and Merchant essential), or a Circle of Dreams Druid (for difficult terrain and shit)

...are you saying a person who falls from a great height onto a floor made of knives should be able to dust themselves off afterwards? a single use of the healer's kit ain't gonna fix that shit.

The enthralling performance can be used in combat. That could be the basis of a fun character.

In DnD it will.

>100d4 from acupuncture
>1d8 from a chest sized spike

So how about using the oath of devotion abilities?

Welcome to d&d

I rather approve of knowledge domain for that.

Spiked traps in CoS do 2d10 piercing damage, IIRC, discounting the falling damage

>20th level fighter walks into his son's bedroom
>trips and falls onto a pile of legos
>goresplosion, child traumatized forever

>You can swim in lava for a round in DnD
>But not fall onto a bed of nails in plate armour for a round

Steel Wind Strike sounds great in theory but it's a use of Animate Objects or Wall of Force that you are not getting back

Hey man, what program is that?

I was thinking Tempest is a bit too destructive, thunder and lightning. He's not a god of the storm, just carrying winds.

Was considering nature, knowledge, trickery or forge?

Friends of mine want to play a game over Skype.

Is Roll20 a good way to help run the games?

Yes.
It's the community that you need to watch out for, on the contrary.

I’ve seen enough of the stories on here to know that.

I rarely ever use tables and tend to sculpt everything myself, I think I am gonna lean more into the random form style but I will take your advice and still build up a few hooks of various levels. Might also do exp instead of milestone for the first time in years.

Civ V.

I feel like the ability to not only attack several people surrounding you with an attack roll instead of a save as well as repositioning yourself afterwards is useful enough to warrant taking.

How to flavor monks/ki so they don't have an eastern vibe to them? I want to play a drunken master without being a kung-fu character.

My friend is a Slavic drunken monk who is a pit fighter type

>it takes 48 weeks to craft 9th level spell scrolls when the user could just cast the spell over 300 times in that time period.

What's the point?

>How to flavor monks/ki so they don't have an eastern vibe to them? I want to play a drunken master without being a kung-fu character.

John Wick only you go to AA meetings

scrolls of wish are not supposed to be common

Just play ye olde Christian Monk.
>older, probably fat because their diet is 95% wine, eggs, mutton, and bread
>wears a thick ass robe with rope belt
>has a stick for beating fuckers
>sits up in the monastery all day making wine and bread because that's all you can do to trade with the townsfolk down the mountains for everything else you need
>leave your monastery and kick righteous ass
>but still drink too much blueberry wine

I'd keep in mind a few things
1. Make sure the players have some hooks. Don't let them wander aimlessly. If they don't know what anywhere is or have any reason to go anywhere, then every direction is the same = they have no choice, which is just as bad as railroading if not more awkward.
2. Food, water and such probably isn't likely to be very important. I'd keep the rules on such things fairly loose rather than overcomplicated.
3. Time pressure. If there is no time pressure, the party can just rest whenever the heck they feel like it. When you give time pressure, give an accurate measurement of how long the party has.

>While monks led a solitary life of work and prayer, they also believed in hospitality and charity. Monasteries were renowned as places of refuge for travelers seeking a safe, clean place with decent food and drink. The monks grew or traded for their food and made their own drinks, thus beer and wine were readily available at the monasteries. At this point in time, water was unsanitary and carried a whole host of diseases. The act of brewing beer sanitized the water and added many important nutrients into the beverage. Beer (and wine) were safe to drink and an important part of everyone’s everyday diet.

>In 820, the Saint Gall monastery designed what would become the template for the medieval monastic brewery. The design designated the construction of 3 breweries: one to brew beer for paying customers and travelers, one to make the monk’s own beer, and one to make beer for the poor (charity beer). Each brewery brewed a different quality of beer, with the charity beer being the one made from the least desirable materials. This eventually led to the multiple running system.

If you can cast wish you can make a simulacrum army factory to mass-produce wish scrolls.

it's safe to say that simulacrum chaining wasn't an intentional feature of the rules

To be able to make wish scrolls you have to be able to cast wish. Additionally the financial component controls scarcity. A wish scroll costs 250k, but can only give you 25k.

Let's ask Crawford.
>hey does this clearly stupid bullshit that makes Wizards obscenely powerful work
>Yes.

They really could have worded simulacrum better and not allowed wish to remove material components unless you took the risk of losing wish forever.

>whole party has Foresight and the wizard is packing 3 Wishes and a Meteor Swarm for good measure
Gee user, I don't know why you would want to have multiple 9th level spells per day as a PC, or want to seriously limit the PCs cranking out 9th level spell scrolls as a DM.

simulacrum deserves to be a 9th level spell even ignoring chaining, just for being able to double everything you have (spell slots, spells prepared and your action economy) at a stroke.

this would also fix the chaining problem because if simulacrum is a 9th level spell then simulacrums will never have wish, nor you could you use wish to duplicate simulacrum anyway.

>entire warlock class still built around a single cantrip and only valuable because no one else can cast it

>ignoring the role of invocations

>Pictured: Every 5e Warlock Ever

Except the gishfags

We have a stuck up high elf bladesinger noble, an edgy half-drow roguelock (Assassin/Fiend) that acts like he's a shadow god, and a goth shadow sorcerer tiefling who mopes in her pocket darkness with the half-drow. I play humans and they always chide me about not having darkvision and needing a torch or dancing lights. I plan on making a human gloom stalker that constantly pranks them in the dark. Since I'm a bounty hunter I chose Humans and Elves as my favored enemies since our campaign is set in a heavily elvish/human area with a few dwarves, etc. Instead of being an edgelord I'm going to be the most campy person in the group who creeps all of them out because he can't be seen in the dark. Just to be memeing I want to make him a Chultan, the ebony black human subrace of notAfrica in D&D.

>invocations aren't more powerful at will abilities, in exchange for having no spellcasting
What a catastrophe.

>no one else can cast it with invocations
FTFY
My Sorcerer recently took EB through Spell Sniper.
We just fought a bunch of warlocks and people kept telling me to get damage other than the 7 fire spells I had, so I had roleplay reasons dammit)

What do you think about the war mage from XGtE? Did they actually do a job of finding a middle ground between evocation and abjuration, or shit the bed?

The gishfags are those auto turrets trying to stab people with their guns.

It's like Bladesinger if everything lasted for a round instead of a minute.

Not sure yet... The major power blocks are mostly...
>HRE-style 'empire' where the high nobility hold most of the power and the emperor is only nominally in charge. 'Freer' but exponentially more corrupt and dangerous outside the lords direct areas of interest.
>Roman-style autocratic empire. This time the emperor is very much in charge and uses his elite guard to enforce order and obedience. Dissent and disorder are looked down upon, but if you don't mind living under a dictator's boot, it's safer for the common folk.
>Patchwork of helenic-style elven-dominated republics. They bicker like the Balkans but have an alarming tendency to suddenly all unite the moment any one of them is threatened from the outside.
>Ptolemaic Egyptian dwarfs. They're only a shadow of their former power, but still very much a force to be reckoned with. Their elite troops ride lions because why the fuck not.
>Hobgoblin I-don't-have-a-name-for-their-state-yet that constantly skirmishes with the autocratic empire, but its victories so far have either been small or temporary
>The marches. Both empires have them and they're much more independent than the interior. Good adventuring country, but they're about to be in the path of a massive migration of some kind. Not worked that part out yet.

These nations aren't ethnically homogeneous by the way; one race might be more numerous or dominant in a region or the halls of power, but they aren't alone. 'The elf kingdom' or 'the dwarf kingdom' or whathaveyou always irritated me, especially when you have such places covering huge swathes of territory

But yeah, climate change is already in effect; I just don't think the players, being professional murderhobos, have much interest in failing crops and the like.

Anything anyone would like to suggest or add? I'm open to advice or unexpected twists. In return I'll share the stories once my group starts playing.

Eldritch blast should be a warlock class feature rather than a cantrip.

That way new players wouldn't have any chance of accidentally missing it and you couldn't get the main benefit of being a warlock from a 2-level dip.

There are some good invocations that give strong at-will utility spells, which makes up for it. There should be more.

>not taking Agonizing Blast and Repelling Blast to dominate crowd control and area denial

The problem is that if it's a major class feature, you want people to get it at level 3 or lower. Which also means players are incentivized to dip for it, which leads to the exact problem we have now.

The current state of affairs could be completely solved by having Eldritch Blast's damage only scale based on Warlock level, rather than character level. It wouldn't stop people from dipping Hexblade, but that's a separate problem.

Player wants to be bronze dragonborn druid chick raised by Elfves.

What am I in for?

But then it won't scale, which makes it pointless for 3/2 builds and higher

That sure is the whole point!

Yes. That dips are not incentivized like you said.

A chick being fed worms by mother hen
What else?

Nothing particularly interesting, I'm sure. Sounds more like you've let Veeky Forums horror stories get the better of you.

Err, sorry I'm drunk, I meant that class features scale with class level, not character level. Which was the original idea.

Roll20 is a great and powerful tool.

However, ditch Skype for Discord. Infinitely better voice chat, chat room functionality, and private messaging

A rather unoptimized character, but nothing as cancerous as other character proposals I've heard.

Also, discord works great for sharing pictures and can even have dedicated channels for out of game discussion after and before games.

My players often discuss the games during the week while bored at work or whatever.

How much are the common magic items?

(1d6+1)x10 gp

What if you decrease steel wind strike to 4th and open it up to EKs and ATs? Or even 3rd?

Discord's voice chat is absolute ass, though. It randomly cuts out for no reason with great regularity... but only for about a quarter of our group. We researched the bug extensively and the consensus was "it just happens, Discord is shit."

Actually scratch that, 100 gp is the base price

I haven't really used Discord but Skype is well known to be ass, too.

I need a Level 6 High Elf Div Wizard for my game in 3 hours
Someone tell me what spells and cantrips to take

Honestly I'm really surprised it wasn't designed with EKs and ATs as the primary users in mind. I would bump the damage down if I were to make it 4th level, but I wouldn't go so far as to make it 3rd. It attacks too many people and is too useful for escaping AoOs.

That's why you use teamspeak my man

Rate this parties survival rate. (Assuming player group is cautious and plays smart)
Storm Kings Thunder
-Tiefling Purple Dragon Knight Fighter
-Human Way of the Sun Soul Monk
-Celestial Warlock Dwarf
-Ranger

Roll a die to determine it in true divination fashion.

Depends on the ranger. Revised? What subclass?

I've had consistently better results with Skype than with Discord. But you can't do skype groupchat without paying money, so it's not worth it for a roll20 game. If you use Discord primarily for text rather than voice it works a lot better.

Punch Munckin In Balls
Range: Self

It doesn't even have any martial synergy, though. It doesn't apply weapon on-hit effects or anything, it's just a glorified more limited fireball with force damage that then lets you stand next to one of the enemies.

>Arrow to the heart is 2d8+3
>tripping onto caltrops is 20d6

This is your brain on dnd

Should newly introduced wizard PCs that are any level other than 1 know more than the minimum number of spells?

>Human
What feat did they take, if any?

Tiefling fighter gets a 1/10 'try harder',
Celestial Dwarf gets a 5/10 'party healslut' award

Overall it looks like the party is pretty trash though, I'd rate it at 3/10.

>procrastinating as a spellcaster, let alone a wizard
>ISHYGDDT
Just take Divination spells and Prestidigitation. Everything else you'll fucking live with and deserve for putting it off.

Also can I just remark on how fucking overly useful Prestidigitation is? It's literally the best cantrip in the game from a quality of life perspective. Heats and flavors your food, cools your drinks, warms your blankets at night, lets you communicate a smell/sound, lights/snuffs your campfire, KEEPS YOU CLEAN... the list goes on.

Sweet as, thanks heaps bro!

Yeah, me too, bro. It's a weirdly exclusive spell. Agree with the decrease in damage and actually not having it as a 3rd level spell. Do you think a die decrease in damage is enough?

Don't make a spellbook for eqch NPC, just cast whatever you think is cool.
Also, don't have a Wizard designed like a player fight players.