WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>Reinforcements are en route
youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo

>Previous Thread(s):

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B5uspM2u4MQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Threadly reminder

>Do I receive a confirmation after signup?
Yes, I send 'em out as soon as I see the email, shouldn't take longer than 1-2 days. If you got none til then, resend a mail.

>What shall I include in the email?
Well, your address, obviously. Also, your name if you're not 100% sure that you receive packages without a name. You also can include what you are collecting etc, but don't expect to get something related to that 100%

>What shall I gift?
I don't know, use your imagination! You can check last year's SS here: imgur.com/a/1fxhq

>How much should I gift?
Well it should be at least 10-15$ in value, so that it is worthwhile all the hassle. But you can also go higher and nobody will say a thing if it's only 7.85$. It's the gesture that counts. I'm sure you find some cool stuff in your bitzbox, too.

>When do we get our matches?
The matching will take place Dec 1st and after that, you'll receive an email with the address of your match

>What about shipping costs?
I try to do continental matching, so they shouldn't be too high. If you specifically want someone from another continent, I also try to arrange that!

>What do if I get grinched?
Email me and I'll try to contact your match. If we can't sort it out, he'll get put onto the naughty list. Often, we find kind anons jumping in and sending something to you in this case!

>Why the fuck are we doing this?
Because /WIP/ is literally the most wholesome online community.

>Do people sign up from country XY?
Most people sign up from NA and EU, but also from Australia, Japan, whatever. If you only want to participate of someone else from your country registers, you can ask in advance, just shoot an email.

Any tips on my first kreiger other then to do the base?

There's no gentle way of putting it, user: it's really clumpy looking. Personally I'd go back and try again, but if you're adamant in moving ahead I'd say give it a dark wash, particularly the gun recesses and jacket folds.

the attempt is there and the colours are good but he looks like paper mache, sorry for being harsh.

Any tips on painting Magnus? I've got the duncan video but I want to know if theres anything else I should know before assembling him.

Paint looks a little textured. Are you using really old paints? Or did you try to prime while it was very humid?

Finished these guys, gonna seal them soon

yea it looks clumpy but otherwise it's very good. either way i think it looks cool.

I think it's older paint when I primed it I had it next to a Woodstove so it couldn't be humidity. I dry brushed the highlights and I think that is the demise of my highlights as I suck at them in general. Thanks for the feedback everyone so far I'll repaint him and try highlighting differently.

Could use a secondary color, I know they're White Lions but still.

Once I'm finished with this batch of sister, what shall I do ?

>New Celestine (Already have the old)
>Greyfax
>A Repressor
>An Immolator (inc magnet for weapons and a count as rhino hatch).

Working on a few boys, got my BA primaris captain, World Eaters and Death Guard test models for HH and my lamenters furioso all in progress.
Very productive hobby times.

Are you sure? There's blue,white,brown,silver,gold,flesh,green, and black

working on my spooky ghosts

Spoiler that shit user holy shit
Immolator just because I never paint my vehicles so someone out there should get on with some

My deff dread so far! Arms are complete. I have more pics if needed. C&C please!

Just finished my vanguard squad.

Love it. The guy with the hourglass looks neat.

you're awesome for organizing this!

really cool. what's the body of the mini holding the hourglass?

>user got two pennies, an axe, and a sword

holy shit

I'm entirely new to the art of basing. Up until now, I simply painted my bases in Mournfang brown. But recently, I've bought some citadel glue and some basing sand. Should I leave the sand as it is, or should I give it a shade of Agrax once the glue is dry ?

youtube.com/watch?v=B5uspM2u4MQ

Nice.

Give it a second coat of thinned PVA to seal it in once it's dry, then you can paint, shade, etc as normal. Agrax with some light tan drybrushed over it would probably work well, assuming it's sand colored sand.

Both Wraiths are from the ghosts on the mortis engine kit, i already have a coven throne and a coverted engine from a long time ago so i decided to use all the bits and make characters and spirits

I keep seeing mention of it, so I figure I'll post here: is hairspray a good sealing medium?

I have never mailed anything larger than an envelope in my life
How do i ship a box?

take it to the post office

The post office is your friend, they may even have purpose-made boxes for shipping things.

Good? No. You could use it though.
Look at hairspray weathering for example.

It's probably not gonna stand up to punishment as well as a varnish that was intended for it.
Unless you mean sealing medium for pigments. In which case I'd be wary because of the pressure that come out of the can.

A post office, UPS, Fed-ex. Easier than you think, just requires a trip and some planning

Just finished this Lord of contagion

My first ever Salamander fully done
I see the progress of my painting skill and Im really happy how the mini turned out.

Sent. So excited to partake this year!

Unrelated note: my gf wants to try her hand at assembling figs, and paint one as well.
She'd really like to have a bird involved, somehow. What are good GW kits that have a bird in them? I have my eyes on the Vulcharc from the Kairic Acolytes kit, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Looking good, could use a bit more done on your base there, sticking some sand or using one of the texture paints would go along way

highelves had a wizard with a tiny pheonix/firebird thingy.
Inquisitor Coteaz had a doubleheaded cybereagle.
The other stuff I remember is pretty much out of production.
Dryads have a cute little owl sitting in the branches somewhere though.

How about a pheonix? It's a big kit but fairly simple to put together, theres the raptor vanguard stormcast aswell that have birdies, or how about griff hounds? Part birb part dawg

Most of the bird kits are pretty hard to paint or more difficult to build. Maybe grab her a bones model that's a bird since GW doesn't have a lot of option

I finally have the money to paint my IG as Truskans, it's a good feeling.

Guy with the hourglass looks like his head fell off and bounced

Id try picking out the teeth in another colour to make them stand out, and you gotta paint them rockets mang, but breddy gud

how spooky

Does isopropyl alcohol fuck up old plastics? Got some old plastic/metal NOISE MARINE guys and some old possessed(maybe obliterators? Guys with guns and swords growing out of them) and I'd like to try to strip em a bit

working on few fexes/fexen, this one goes to local painting competition so i tried something different with the base.

not sure about the angle of that lamppost yet and how to include water.

Primaris captain

Hi guys, I just got pic related but a really good price so I could use the minis for DnD. While I am very much satisfied with the purchase, as expected the prepainted minis (the ones on display) have rather poor paint jobs and I'm wondering if it would be safe to spray over them and have a go at painting them myself without clogging up too much of the detail.

for a really good price*

Very dynamic postures. Good work.

Ya' doin' great, user. Keep posting.

Bitchin' cape.

Boys how tf do I save these wings. Only just started them but I am full of doubt.

Thanks user

What’s wrong with them?

makes me want to cut up my morits engine and try this lol

The effect on the holes looks like the wings are dissolving like a Digimon that just got killed or some shit. It's kinda cool but I imagine it's not what you were going for - are you wanting them to look pus-y?

Don't forget to undercoat!!!

Vendread

Christ the hunchback skeleton seems so smug
I love him

>Hi guys, I just got pic related but a really good price

At Half Price Books last Sunday with the 50% off coupon? Yeah, I thought about getting it to play with the kids, but I don't think they'd be too interested in it.

>I'm wondering if it would be safe to spray over them and have a go at painting them myself without clogging up too much of the detail.

Good luck. I wouldn't count on that. TBQH, though, I can't believe the detail would be that great to start with, so you're probably not going to lose a whole lot.

Worked out the lighting.

You know I've never seen anyone even talk about the stupid steampunk aos dwarves, let alone paint them here
Is there anyone that even has the models, or are they just universally boycotted due to how shit they are?

I need some help with colours, wip.

I started a tyranids army to try drybrushing rather than layering and actually get an army painted fast. The gaunts box went well, but I'm unsure how to paint up some warrior boneswords. I wanted to stick with blue / brown / bone as the main colours with yellow for faces and some weapons (see venom cannon arm) but am starting to think these in progress swords look a bit naff.

Should I introduce a new colour, and if so what, use the bright yellow or stick with bone for these melee weapons?

$10 on Amazon actually; well worth it for just the minis, not to mention the one or two games I might get out of it with my friends.

More like weird butterfly patterns. Morty himself is quite drab so I want his wings to be very colourful and weird

I think the color is fine. If they don't blow you away visually it's because it's just a wash over a basecolor.
Take your base and add some fine lines in the direction of the cutting edge or something like that. Some kind of texture to give it some visual interest.
I know you wan to paint quickly but you don't have that many boneswords in your army. If time is such a concern you could also just leave it and come back to it when the rest of the model is done. That way you can at least see it in context to the rest of the scheme before making further decisions.

Theater face makeup. Good ref for painting faces.

Woot. Finally managing decent blond hairs and non-hideous SoB faces.

thanks guys, i've been wanting to chop up the mortis engine kit for a while now

I really like the spooksters, if only they had a bit more trrop variety

Nice and simple but we'll done. Looks great.

>oblivion_npc.jpg

I've actually been trying that with a grey since I posted, to try and add some texture similar to the carapace. Bone swords are just so thick compared to regular marines weapons, even when I highlight the washed base it looks weird without texture.

Its nice not being as obsessive about layering and highlighting you can't see when you're playing, but I am being torn with these warriors. With the gaunts they're so small the lack of details isn't too much of an issue, but not with these.
If I default on these dudes it'll void the point of trying to learn drybrushing here.

Got any good examples of bone swords? I've googled it but most of the striking stuff comes from blended bright colours and I'm trying to avoid that.

As an aside I used grey as I wanted to make skin for genestealers that colour to differentiate them, and for wing membranes, despite my talk of keeping colours low it's fairly neutral.

White Dwarf No. 356 PG.94 has a section on painting grills faces.

For lips I think they only paint the bottom lip with lipstick.

Any link ?

It should be in the mega under "face masterclass"

I only have the physical copy, might be able to get a pic thou

It's about half a page.

>bold and striking
>that face

fuck off nazifag

wut

Come on now

>Just dunked a rhino in simple green
>Cleaning old brushes
>Got new exacto knife after losing old one
>Cleaning off mold lines with it while waiting
Feels good to be doing this again after procrastinating for 4-5 years of not doing anything with my models.

what

Hello /wip first time posting here, I just finished the macragge terrain 13 years late

>have the entire week off for Thanksgiving
>all that time to work on my projects
Feels good man
I'm totally not going to get anything done am I

Looks good. How did you do the glass like that?

The intent is to make sure the features of the face are clearly visible even from a tabletop distance.

I mean, compare the two full figure images with one another. Galadriel's face is basically just a pink blob.

select de blue you desire, preferably a sby blue like colour, but not the brightest
>basecoat
>blue wash
>basecoat heavy dry brush
>50%basecoat+50%white light dry brush *

*start the drybrush in the area where you want more light and drag the bush to the areas where less light is desired (VERY lightly, might have to repeat the drybrush until desired efect)

How did you get acceptable looking blonde hair?? This is a huge struggle for me.

god christ why are the gryph hounds so loose
I'm gonna have to fill in every one of their bodies to fix the massive gap on their spine

I'm such garbage at painting faces and only slightly better at painting not faces
1/2

2/2

All of those techniques use and abuse washes. Sadly with the caitlyn jenner faces of the SOB, this is a no-go for them.

You put too much paint on your brush at once. Try to put less, but more layers. A thin layer take a few seconds to dry.

On the upside her backof her hair looks very nice